Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: New Kh'omchr'om (Orcish) Vocabulary Here!  (Read 134372 times)
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 11 April 2010, 20:30:29 »

the study of Kh'omchr'om is a relatively new endeavour, and as such we are all still 'feeling our way' a little. There are a few ideas about how the language is constructed, but no hard and fast rules exist as yet.

I can't speak for our other orcen devotees, such as Azhira, but when I need a new word for something I just make it up. I have taken inspiration from many sources, already existing words, the Klingon language from Star Trek, and even the IKEA shopping catalogue! Mainly I find inspiration for new words from things I read or hear everytday, or just from my imagination.

When creating a new word or phrase, it is impostant that you check the already existing vocabulary to make sure you aren't repeating something. Try to familiarise yourself with the orcen tongue, say the words to yourself until you have a feel for how it sounds, how the words are constructed etc. Look for common letter combinations ('ch' 'cha' 'kr' 'ak'). This will help you decide if your new words would fit in with the language.

I suggested a while ago that due to their tusks, the language, apart from being very gutteral, would have a fair amount of hissing sounds in it. Try to incorporate this occasionally.

I really should try to find my original ideas on language construction and discuss them with Azzy.

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
M´ruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 16

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 11 April 2010, 20:45:23 »

Ok, thanks. How's this?:

Make- Ssal
Death- Lak
To Kill- Sharo (lit. make death)
Wound- Arg
Weapon- Arg-Ssal (lit. wound maker)
To Die- Kal
War- Lak-Ssalo (lit. death maker)

Constructing the imperative: add the suffix 'ek' to the imperative if it ends with a consonant and 'sek' if it ends with a vowel. E.g. Die! = Kalek! Kill! = Sharosek!
« Last Edit: 11 April 2010, 21:24:46 by Lordofthepeople » Logged

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 11 April 2010, 20:58:06 »

I think these sound good, LOTP. Don't be suprised if they aren't added to the dictionary just yet. There are words that have been floating around for ages that are still in the queue.

Updating the dictionary is one job I have on my list!

As for your suggestions for constuction, we need to gather all the orc experts together (in a very small room) and decide what the final rules should be.

I would try to avoid making words too long though. The orc language is evolving from the basic militery commands they used centuries ago which were invariably short, barking words. They still don't have the need for words longer than, say, two or three syllables, and maybe 6 or 7 letters.

Another point to keep in mind is that due to their recent trading with other races, they will undoubtedly be incorporating words from tharian, thergerim (rarely) and styrash (very rarely, due to the construction of the elven tongue orcs find it difficult to pronounce) into their everyday speech. I don't think they would directly borrow words, but rather use an orcen version of them.
Foe example, I'm working on an orcen weapon called the Kle'vaar. It is a chopping weapon who's name has obviously been borrowed from the tharian cleaver.

Use the force, Luke.

M´ruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 11 April 2010, 21:23:26 »

Ok, good point. How about:

To kill- Sharo
War- Lak-Ssalo (lit. death maker)

And some more:

Mouth- Aaa  grin
Tooth- Ook
Tusk- Tuk
Eat- Nom  grin

Let me know if that's a bit too obvious.

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 11 April 2010, 21:46:09 »

Keep 'em coming, LOTP. If we don't use them exactly as they are, we may be inspired by them!

And why in the name of K'ahn'uck's breeches didn't I think of using nom for eat!
Brilliant! That one's definately going in!

Oh, and another thing; many orcen words have slightly different meanings, depending on the context they were used in. Much of the orcen language is based and expressed through body/facial movements, any of which can change the context of a word or phrase. It's a very complex language in that respect,and very difficult/impossible for non-orcs to become fluent in.

Use the force, Luke.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 11 April 2010, 23:01:31 »

A good start, LOTP. As Tharoc mentioned, when us developers need a word, we simply make one up. I am not a language expert, so I am fairly sloppy when if comes to language. Most of my orcen and Kaaer words are inconsistent, but I try to make them fit as best I can.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
M´ruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 11 April 2010, 23:41:49 »

@Tharoc- Thanks! It came to me in a flash of inspiration  evil!
That makes sense, but how would one show that? I mean, could you just write Tooth = Ook and frown, or is there another system?

@Azhira Ok, that makes sense. But if we based Kh'omchr'om (loosely) on a RL language, we could get a bit of inspiration. Maybe just in a few areas. But then again, there aren't many languages that are anything like Kh'omchr'om. In the mean time though, I think just making it up should suffice.

Thanks for the help!

« Last Edit: 12 April 2010, 00:21:03 by Lordofthepeople » Logged

M´ruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 15 April 2010, 03:27:14 »

N-And
Arl-Greeting
Bla- to talk
« Last Edit: 08 May 2010, 18:11:09 by M´ruk Loshashzuk » Logged

M´ruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 16 April 2010, 08:04:28 »

Sakad- goodbye
Sif- to smell
Sif with frown- to smell bad or stink
Ak!- general exclamation

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 18 April 2010, 06:08:01 »

I'm giving M'ruk a shiny new AURA +1 for his welcome additions to the orcen dictionary.

And in the expectation that he will continue with this worthwhile endeavour. *Peers ominously over the top of his closer-upper lenses at the Newbie*

I sense you may be one of those bright sparks who have a wonderful command of the intricacies of language, Mruk. With this in mind, (and remembering that I'm completely clueless in that direction), I suggest that we try to define a few simple rules for Kh'omchr'om at some point.

For example, we need to decide why some words have apostrophes in them in places where apostrophes have no business being. Stuff like that.

Are you in?
« Last Edit: 18 April 2010, 06:09:36 by Tharoc Wargrider » Logged

Use the force, Luke.

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 18 April 2010, 06:41:08 »

Not strictly speaking vocabulary, but perhaps the apostrophes could be represent glottal stops (at the most basic level) or for a higher level of complexity, changes of expression? For example, to take the name of the new contributor, my glamorous assistant - M'ruk, may I borrow your name for a second? Don't worry, I won't damage it...much.

Anyway, m'ruk could be rendered as m[snarl showing fangruk. Perhaps, if I may be so bold, symbols like ~/#/^/>/</`/¬/¦ could be taken and given differenmt meanings.

Let's say:

`  =  Tooth-displaying snarl (E.g. M`ruk)
#  =  Cross-body gesture with hand, makes a word plural
^  =  Frown (so, as M`ruk proposed, sif is the basic smell word, but s^if means stink)
>  =  Jutting chin (maybe for more challenging, belligerent words?)
<  =  Smile (or whatever orcs do... - eg, s^if means stench, but s<if means nice smell.)
¬  =  Tensing up of body (I know I overuse it, but s¬if means smell of danger)
¦   =  Gesture with hand, turns word into a verb.
And then ' as a multi-purpose glottal stop.

For sentence structure, I have a tentative idea of orcs speaking verb-subject-object as basic word order, with adjectives and adverbs coming second? Eg, S¦if Tharoc Altario means "Tharoc smells Altario".

I've got a couple more ideas, but I want to see if these are ridiculed first. That's my answer to Tharoc's specific point, at least.

Hope they'll work/provide inspiration.

Athviaro

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 18 April 2010, 07:03:30 »

See, this is just the kind of thing I was looking for. Many thanks, Athviaro.

Your thoughts on why apostrophes keep popping up are interesting, and not entirely dissimilar to my own. I'm not sure we should be delving into creating the visual language until we've decided more about the oral side of things. Your suggestion of using more symbols is a good one, however, and I shall file it safely!

As for sentence construction, this is an area where I think the various tribes would have their own ideas. Personally, I rarely use Kh'omchr'om when speaking as Tharoc, preferring instead to use his version of Tharian (which is actually the dialect I speak with in RL, albeit tidied up somewhat for ease of reading, believe it or not).

Use the force, Luke.

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 18 April 2010, 07:32:42 »

See, this is just the kind of thing I was looking for. Many thanks, Athviaro.

Why thank you. Have a cookie, I know you love them.

Your thoughts on why apostrophes keep popping up are interesting, and not entirely dissimilar to my own. I'm not sure we should be delving into creating the visual language until we've decided more about the oral side of things. Your suggestion of using more symbols is a good one, however, and I shall file it safely!

Point taken. I merely did so in response to your saying that Orcen is very visual and Artimidor's statement
the orcs have a common tongue to communicate with each other
which led me to believe that, in the nature of "pidgen" tongues, this common language would be fairly basic in its vocabulary range and it's ambition of syntactical and grammatical scope. (I actually pulled that sentence off!) Therefore, I thought a more accurate way of representing expression in print was needed. My picture was that orcen made no distinction between many things in the actual words, but used gestures to express number and word type. (I note that you have the same word for "Wargs" as for "Warg" - thus, would not a gesture be needed? Also "Cha" means "enchanted, cursed" or "woman" - again, a distinction of some sort is needed - you even claim they have "different" gestures, but what are they?)

As for sentence construction, this is an area where I think the various tribes would have their own ideas. Personally, I rarely use Kh'omchr'om when speaking as Tharoc, preferring instead to use his version of Tharian (which is actually the dialect I speak with in RL, albeit tidied up somewhat for ease of reading, believe it or not).

the orcs have a common tongue to communicate with each other

Thus would they not have a common sentence structure? Or maybe (this only just occured) the more "advanced" tribes can be distinguished by a more sophisticated sentence strucure, and the cruder by their basic construction? It's your language(ish - well, it's not mine!)

Happy language building.

Athviaro
« Last Edit: 18 April 2010, 07:37:46 by Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr » Logged

"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
M´ruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 18 April 2010, 08:00:38 »

@ Tharoc Thanks very much! I will polish it as much as I can. As for continuing, I doubt anyone could stop me if they tried (that is, unless they had cookies). I look forward to working with you often. We Orcs should stick together, you know!

@ Athviaro That is an excellent idea, in my opinion, and I think with a few modifications it could be a good base for this language. My only concern is that there aren't enough symbols to cover every action, and it would be a pain to try to do that. I suggest that the symbols correspond to only the most common actions and the rest are written in.  
« Last Edit: 18 April 2010, 17:57:21 by M'ruk Loshashzuk » Logged

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 18 April 2010, 17:03:16 »

That was my idea too, but I decided to err on the side of "too many". If asked, I would say to keep the "plural" gesture, the "verb" gesture, maybe the snarl (`) and then a frown and smile for positive and negative words. Then all others can be represented with ' and be written in next to the word, perhaps in [] or {}. But some basic ones would be useful, it seems to me.  ' can just be to show where these expressions are/change.

Then for the grammar side of it, perhaps

'A - 1st person (I or we)
E'e - 2nd person (you)
O'u - 3rd person (He/She/It/They)

So... (If we keep plural notation the same)

'A
E'e
O'u
#A
E'#e
O'#u

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 110
Online Ever: 580
(07 December 2019, 09:39:18)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8
Total: 8

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)