Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A slight design note  (Read 2158 times)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 24 July 2002, 09:47:00 »

Well, I know that'll get you, Art, up the roof or probably into the inner section of hospital but in the main menu you introduce every entry link with a "-" except the first one. Example:
Delonaire
- Demonology Rituals

On my first impression this leads to the conclusion that Demonology Rituals are a subentry of Delonaire though they do not have anything in common.
That is mainly because you introduce enumerations normally with ":" followed by the points marked with "-", dashes.

As we really have subentries on certain things(marked with "..." which is not that far from "-"), the entries themselves should all have the same indent.

It's only something which confused me before but now I found the reason for it more clearly.

If you need someone deleting 1000 + x dashes in front of the links, I have now some more time at hand! ;)  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2002, 10:43:00 »

BTW: This suggestions is combined with the offer to abuse me a slave laborer in case you need someone stupid to do some incredibly boring html work.... ;)  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2002, 13:41:00 »

I don't really understand by your post what you would like to delete/change now exactly... All the dashes (...) in front of the links and make an indent instead?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2002, 14:38:00 »

Only the dashes, they often propose to be subentries of the first entry of a paragraph, it looks confusing.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2002, 14:48:00 »

You want to remove the dashes and have spaces instead?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2002, 15:02:00 »

No I want to even out all entries by just removing the dashes so that all fullworthy entries are at the same height.

The dashes cause that the entries are put into context with those without ones.
In magic section you've an entry "Delonaire" which has no dash but a largesized Capital letter. The "Demonology Rituals" in the next line has a dash introducing it which naturally makes it a subsection of "Delonaire".
As this is not the case I'd remove the dashes...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2002, 15:20:00 »

The main reason why the dashes exist are only because of design reasons. Especially small words look completely lost if there are no dashes, e.g. "Cats" and "Bat", because they then are horribly close to the left border. I've put in the dashes to avoid awkward design.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2002, 04:57:00 »

The horrible close to the border can be fixed by adjusting the Stylesheet to have a bigger distance to the left border.
I'm currently trying around though what really looks better as I have some difficulties with the small and capital letters not disturbing each other.

When I have something I'll give you a shout though ... already found a starting point for the tree-structure you're planning, it might till then as well... could help on that if needed. :)  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2002, 12:57:00 »

Well, you forget, Koldar, that it's all a bit more complicated than you might thin... :lol  Well, this perception occurs to me always when I try to realize something I think should be possible to do "without any major problems".

What makes it all more complicated: The menu in fact is part of a triple frame constellation. This last frame represents the scroll (consisting of 3 pages, top and bottom scroll thingy and the menu itself). Now - as you might have noticed -: The background behind the scroll doesn't move when you move the scroll. In fact it's a fixed background and the scroll is a table. In fact it's one table cell only (!) as multiple cells would mess up the complete scroll background at Netscape browsers.

Nooow: The only possibility except putting in spaces in front of the entry links (which would be ok, now that we have stylesheets here), is to increase the distance between cell border and text. But if you change the distance between cell border and text this will also change the distance between cell border and text on the right side of the scroll... - And this is something which would destroy more intended menus like at the Races section, where the space is definitely required...

Now what I mean? Simply idea, very difficult solutions:  

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2002, 13:54:00 »

Well, the frame thingie is clear (though not modern anymore since there are layers now :lol  Sorry Designerjoke) well, maybe something one of our teachers said:

"Everything was meant to be in html 2.0, sadly neither Microsoft nor Netscape listened to the guys and continued with their cluttering the standard with their own confusing gizmos." (Reffered to divs and layers) ;)

He also freaked out about these two browser companies when he recognized that his homepage is not working properly on linux with a weird browser config! :)

HTML Yiiippiieee! ;)  

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]