Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Adjustments for Menu Scrollbar Problems  (Read 2302 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 26 September 2005, 06:48:00 »

Theo recently pointed a browser related problem with the menus out, I quote from his post:

"When I view the Indexes of various sections (Bestiary/Herbarium etc.), the parchment which displays the index is actually relocated about 10% of it's width towards the right. So now I see the original piece of parchemt down from below the navigation icons to the bottom of my screen, and the index partially on this parchment, and partially next to it."

This is a problem that happens on browsers like Mozilla Firefox or Opera if the scrollbar for the menu isn't visible (=not enough content in the menu, which is likely to occur now that we have more expandable menus). You don't have the problem e.g. at the Compendium menu, because here the scrollbar is always visible.

Anyway, I'm aware of that problem and found a working solution. At least it works with IE, Opera and Mozilla Firefox, these I could test. For more test I require your help:

The menu I've changed on the site so far with the new method is the Places menu. Try it out there at the browsers you have, expand various threads, show the alphabetical index, all categories at the same time etc. and see if you get a strange behaviour somewhere. If you don't see a change, make sure to refresh your page, so that you don't run on the browser's cache.

Please report back to me on this issue - if it works, I can apply the changes to all the other menus as well:)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2005, 08:46:00 »

Places is ok now, but other short menues show still the same, that are:
Misc, Movie pages, Downloads, Workshop

Safari (main mac browser) shows the same effects like Firefox, places menue fixed, others not.

:lol   Looked at iCab as well - all menues are ok, but places is now shifted 10% to the left!  - you can't please everbody!

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 9/25/05 16:54

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2005, 11:48:00 »

yeah, places, history, compendium are ok for example, magis is shifted to the left, misc is shifted to the right (firefox). I cant understand why one single language (html) is misinterpreted differently by every program >:  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2005, 12:50:00 »

The Places menu is important, so if this menu works correctly on the most common browsers, then I can apply the changes to the rest. Don't know how common iCab is, but after IE (around 85-90%) Firefox is usually the next common with 5-10% and Opera has 1-2% or something. Has anyone a new version of Netscape installed (version 7 I guess is the latest)? Would be interesting to know if it workd there. The extremely old Netscape 4.75 (approx. 8 years old) fails to display it correctly, but this shouldn't bother us too much.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Theodorus Holzman

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2005, 14:08:00 »

Places is fine with Mozilla here. Rest is still displaced.

KR,
Theodorus

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2005, 14:16:00 »

Art, far more use other browsers than IE, but a lot browsers "answer" if "asked", that they are an IE.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2005, 15:07:00 »

You know - that's precisely the drama. Because if a browser has an option to "cloak" itself very well this makes any kind of JavaScript trying to identify the browser useless. And instead of a - say - Opera adjusted version the user gets to see the page meant to look like the Internet Explorer page. So... if the Opera browser interprets HTML now completely different than Internet Explorer, you've got the whole carastrophe: You see a messed up page, while the page could be programmed to look ok at both browsers.

And that's why I hate any kind of browser which is stupid enough to make a JavaScript believe it is Internet Explorer and is not fully compatible with it. This "feature" is actually a shame.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2005, 12:04:00 »

Method works on Netscape 7.1 as well as I just saw, so that's a good sign. Maybe using a stylesheet instead of HTML might convince iCab and Netscape 4.75 as well, so I'm still looking into this before I change all menus.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 29 September 2005, 12:28:00 »

Ok guys, all menus should be adjusted.

Actually I've used a stylesheet now which does precisely the same thing as I did on the Places menu, but perhaps iCab can understand this better. Anyway, take a look again and report if it works on your browsers or if there are strange phenomenons somewhere.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]