Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Concerning Stratanian history  (Read 8888 times)
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« on: 05 January 2001, 10:37:00 »

Well I was finally planning to write some more on the history of the southern kingdom part of Santharia, but i was hoping you might give some comments on my ideas before I start writing.

The first thing is of course the founding of the kingdom. Because of the deserted region and isolated place I thought it was very possible that the kingdom originated from citystates, like ancient Greece.
After some civil war and blabla (will be elaborated) Thalambath and Strata, and later Bardavos will be united in 711 b.S. to form the southern kingdom.

But what happens before that time? Separated histories for each city can be written because they haven't the same events happening.
For Strata I had made up a good idea for the founding, please tell me what you think:
In the year 1648 b.S. when in Vardýnn the Dragons are killed and many leave for other places, a band of humans led by Drafas Tristin (later called Drafas Longstep) leaves for the south to escape the onslaught. When he finally, after long travelling reaches the southermost cape of the Sarvonian continent he finds the remainings of another civilisation now abandoned. What they've left behind is a huge lighthouse, and a massive sewer spreading underground like a maze. Several other unidentified ruins remained there, and he decided to built a new city upon the ruins, named Strata, after the old Vardýnn word for march (Strade), as they had come a long way to get there.

Because of its good location the city quickly becomes a major power at sea and in trade, competing with local trade powers like Thalambath (the local and original population considered the place where Strata was built cursed, but Drafas didn't knew that when he built his city), resulting in several conflicts throughout the years, ending in 0 b.S. with the founding of the Santharian kingdom.

So much for my ideas on the history of the cities. Now some others, like the several races inhabiting the countryside.
As there isn't much forest, I thought it ouldn't be until after the founding of Strata that the first elves enter the region. This first encounter will be a major event in the till thusfar human history.

At another point in time, when Strata's trade is flourishing and criminality is rising (e.g. smuggling) within the darker regions of the city there will suddenly be some panic within the illegal system of Strata. The sewers, which weren't seldom used for illegal activity, is no longer safe as route, as several men were attacked by small creatures seemingly inhabiting the darkest corners of the town. This is where Greybark can take over: somehow Rat Bronies have found their way into the Stratian sewer.

ok I think I've said enough for now. Please tell me what you think of my current brainstorming...

Trickery is my business

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2001, 15:27:00 »

Hello Gean!

Good idea to construct the Kingdom of Stratania from city-states! This seems indeed pretty logical. The time of 711 b.S. would be after the First Sarvonian War, so when setting up the history you could perhaps give the city states in SW I some interesting roles there (if the elves are already there at this time), and finally let the towns join because of a special incident, which still needs to be elaborated.

Idea concerning Strata is fine too, this e.g. explains why there are sewers etc. and adds some mystery to the city (the ancient culture you speak of). The curse is also fine - this could explain some rivalry between the city states. Bardavos: There's already a Compendium entry on this town, so we should somehow explain why and when the town was renamed and dig a little deeper in its special status.

Ideas on elves and rat brownies also seem ok, Gean. No objections from my side! Looking forward to some more Compendium entries!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2001, 01:57:00 »

Somehow I forgot to read the history of Bardavos. But I think it's great and will fit right into what I had in mind!
*goes off brainstorming some more*

- Shendar Proverb
Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2001, 07:25:00 »

Live deep in the sewers. (generally sticking to around half of the area, leaving the rest for continuing criminal activities). 2-4 tribes. Since you have them attacking lowlifes, they should have something special....I suggest crude spears smeared with excrement, causing a festering, dangerous wound in those struck. More distrustful of the above world then other Rat Brownies, and almost never come out....which is why they resented the underclass of Strata "intruding" on their turf. No one knows when they first arrived (May date back to the mystery city, but since Rat Brownies can't read.....they don't know either.)
-----------
Any changes you'd like to make?

Curgan
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2001, 09:47:00 »

First of all, welcome and hope u enjoy it here!
Nice idea about city states. However, about 620bS piracy must have been a serious source of income for Stratania so that it incited a Centoraurian campaign against them, resulting in the forming of the red alliance (under the Stratanian pirate leader Lecam Turpotaker, son of Tehmen Rut) which eventualy conquered the city of Milkengrad, capital of Centorauria (see compendium entry on Curgan for more details.
I think that doesn't contradict with Stratanian history and can be further developed on the Stratanian side. What do u think?

Daring over power, risking against prudent advise and hoping when in danger.

Thucidides
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2001, 11:03:00 »

Since you're here, Curgan, would like your opinion on Rat Brownie tribes under Milkengrad, with a working average being 6 tribes of 2000 individuals per tribe. Do they have competition? Would you like less or more for some reason? Were they exterminated long ago? Thanks!

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2001, 15:34:00 »

Greybark: I think we've discussed the Brownie topic enough on ICQ, though this isn't quite finished of course (will it ever be).. but we'll get to that later. Oh and change your icon, to the one I made with a nice white line around it, yours is falling out of place :p

Curgann: nice to meet you as well -bows-
about your topic, I completely don't agree with you, I hope you understand my patriotism, but let me explain it.
Strata is a city of trade. Though there is illegal activity including piracy, this would never come from the authorities (though a corrupt government is highly possibly). What I'm trying to say is that the Stratanians might have attacked the Milkenradian fleet sometimes, but this would be only to defend their fleet.

However, a war to elimate a competer in trade I see very logical, so I no point in denying the Red Alliance presence of Strata.

Any idea how to combine this with your previous ideas (it's late, I really can't put up straight now)

- Shendar Proverb
Curgan
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2001, 16:05:00 »

To Greybark: Well, about Roat Brownies, I don't think that they were eliminated if they lived in Milkengrad. The residents seem to like other races living in their cities (as long as they don't want to control it). However, if they are influenced from those Helcrani, then they will fight among each other and unite only in danger.
Do you have any ideas on this?

To Gean: Well, the idea is of pirates. They will later be assimilated by the Centoraurians and they will save the city (see history). But they have to be real scums. Perhaps a corrupted goverment for some time would do it. Before the time of the campaign against them (625bS or something)the were real good partners and after the Pirates saving the city in SWII they were real good friends.
However, in the story they are identified as Stratanian pirates not of a certain  city. However, what the Centoraurians call pirates can be "Stratanian freedom fighters against Centoraurian imperialism and exploitation of Stratania" or something like that. Ideas welcome...

Thucidides
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 January 2001, 03:48:00 »

ok, sounds good....more tribes with fewer members each for a start. Since the city dwellers don't mind, perhaps some could come aboveground at times?
Thinking maybe have Milkengradian Brownies follow the more traditional view....quietly help you fix things in your house in return for you leaving a crust of bread and a crumb of cheese, and perhaps a drop or two of beer, for them....what do you think? This would also have the effect of having them be even more fragmented, which would fit your Helcrani ideal.

Curgan
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2001, 16:39:00 »

Milkengradian philosophers believe that the only way to deal with the inherent evil in Ava's dream is the cooperation of the races. They will most probably not only leave just a piece of bread for brownies. Children and public services will be very fond of them.
Ofcourse the Milkengradians have the habit to fighty among each other and there would be very interesting to see if the Brownies will follow that habit. However, they always unite in the face of danger. Nevertheless, I 'm sure that the Milkengradians will love the brownie community. Brownies will most probably be their favourite race (especialy if they do chores around the house *he,he*).

Thucidides
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 January 2001, 21:05:00 »

LOL!!!
Can you refer me to more info on Milkengradian factions? Or is it every man for himself?

Curgan
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2001, 15:35:00 »

The Helcrani are dividen in 7 fractions called fratrae. They represent the seven Helcran villages near Hecra, that existed before the curse. In the place of the two villages destroyed by the elves are put the elven and the Dwarven fratra.The human fratra are called Sostrian, Helerothi, Codomman, Ahai and Menegulan. The elven Styran and the dwarven Nerterian.
However, I am thinking of adding 3 more fratrae- 2 of them human, after SWII to include the Centoraurians and one non human tribe, probably "civilized" orcs. Don't know yet.
Fratrae fought eachother because each village in Helcrah (and later on when they built Milkengrad) blamed the others for being responsible for the murder of a peace loving elven prince, a murder that incited the elven attacks against them. Later on the dispute grew and they liked fighting with each other. Something like a tradition. However, they always thought the rest of the fratrae as their only kin (until at least the were assimilated with the Centoraurians)
For more detail take a look in Milkengrad compendium entry (although it still needs some work) and for any questions I 'm here!

Edited by: Curgann at: 1/11/01 10:01:23 pm

Thucidides
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 January 2001, 21:16:00 »

You've really put some time into this.
ok, some questions:
Do the clans and houses also fight among themselves?
What is the approximate population?

Curgan
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2001, 09:13:00 »

Well, usually the Fratrae fight with each other. However, atleast once in Helcran history it is recorded a civil war of individuals. It was when Curgan and Cumrann were rivalring for the throne in the end of the 6th century bS(see Comendium, People, Curgan). Bu
Usualy the Fratrae compete with each other. The Houses of the same Fratra settle their differences (peacefuly most of the times) within their Fratra. Houses from different fratre have no problem starting a bloody vendetta among each other and many families hold grunges for centuries.
The Helcrani at Milkengrad are about 100.000-200.000 and the Helcrani at Helcrah are about 50.000. However there are Helcrani living outside the city, in Efirhal and all over Santharia, a number that cannot been estimated. And a percentage about 10% of the Centoraurians, the aristocracy are called helcrani (with a plain h), a word that indicates siply their noble genre and not their origin -even if the Helcrani as well consider thenselves Centoraurians.  

Thucidides
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 15 January 2001, 09:28:00 »

How about a Compendium entry on the different fratrae?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]