Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: White Nehtorians ( Zealots)  (Read 3976 times)
Viresse
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 28 December 2002, 12:58:00 »

remember this comcept I had?
Here's a link...

Anyway. Wren had me flesh these guys out for her Nehrot piece, and I guess I can't hide from it now. This is what I have so far.... So you guys just take a look and tell me what needs to be worked on... or any ideas that could help?

Overview:

Appearance: Naught yet.

Biography:

Importance:

The White Nehtorians ( commonly refered to as Zealots) are a sect of worshippers who are known to be loud, obnoxious and and times either a great help or a great nuisance.They are near-blind to all aspects of the world other than what they know and have been taught.

Gathered in small covens no larger than eight, they travel the lands in search of those that require healings. While an act of healing can be done in private and quietly by any other Nehtorian, the Zealots love pomp and pride. They will not enter a town unless it is announced and they are introduced, and they will not stay unless rooms are prepared for them at no fee. They may stay in a given town for weeks, Healing any and all that may need it, as well as trying to press the townsfolk into the worship of Nehtor. They only ask that small donations be given to them for services rendered, to send back to their Main Temple.

However, some cadres of con-artists, thieves and illusionists have paraded about as White Nehtorians, faking illnesses and "healing" and then milking the town Dry. These clusters have made the White Nehtorians an uncomfortable sight in any town.

The only benefit these Zealots seem to offer is that they are battle-ready. Many are trained to handle small weapons, and do not fear battle. Tales tell of Zealots storming onto many a battlefield with only a helmet for protection, healing all they can before their imminet death arrives. Warriors laugh at these Zealots, for they rarely heal more than five individuals before a well-placed arrow or club stops the Zealot in his tracks.

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Edited by: Viresse  at: 12/27/02 7:01:59 pm
Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29 December 2002, 12:59:00 »

Yep - works for me.......

Might wanna try explaining why their approach is so different to the mainstream sects - aukward cos we don't really have detailed descriptions about the mainstream sects yet - but maybe origins and stuff. Like are they an offshoot from a different sect, or have they got their ideas from Elven interpretation of Nethor and misinterpreted......or........Maybe a first leader.......

Heh, it's beccoming more work by the second. :x  I'll go away now.

But yeah - I like em - I can use 'em *scurries off to note down possible storyline usages*

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 December 2002, 13:33:00 »

Warriors laugh at these Zealots, for they rarely heal more than five individuals before a well-placed arrow or club stops the Zealot in his tracks.

I doubt that. Either they are really something like the red cross or they won't be seen as something useful at all.
Don't know, but they don't sound like a respectable group at the moment.

Either they're good healers or have a great reputation as priests of Nehtor or they're only a bunch of chaotics.

Currently it reads very sarcastic and though priests will know healing spells I don't think you can heal anyone within some seconds but need to carefor them at least some days. So they might be seen suicidal because they try to retrieve as many wounded from the battle site as possible but then I doubt any warrior would laugh about them...

I like the idea but just some thoughts at thew ay I currently read the text... :)  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Wren
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2002, 14:58:00 »

It's supposed to be sarcastic.......look at them as the Evangelical end of the Clerical Spectrum.

Doubtless within the sect there are those who are increadibly talented healers - but there are also those who are more about performance than they are about healing.....

Hence they have a rather dubious reputation. I see them rather like TV evangelists. I don't doubt that some of the are guenuinly caring people who do a great deal of good through fundraising, but there are those who are more concerned with reputation and apperance than what they are actually employed to do......hence they have a bad reputation too.......

As for the quoted comment, they are useful: five lives is five people who will love them forever. They are the only Nethorian Sect willing to actually go onto the battlefield, Other sects work from the sidelines of battle, the injured are brought to them......far more like the early Red Cross. But the Red Cross are afforded Immunity in battle by international accord. There is no such agreement in Sorren......So yes they are useful, but they have a slight tendancy to get mown down in battle. And this may be intentional - a kind of suicide healing, an attempt to be matyrd for there cause.......Such behaviour would be poorly understood by most lay people, and probably most professional fighters - so this too would lead to this particular sect being laughed at.

And then there are larger more conventional sect who may bad mouth this one, leading to cynisim.......

I think that perhaps Vir Might need to look at the wording, but I think the concept is a very valid one and when the entry is complete they will be a welcome addition.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2002, 17:24:00 »

It doesn't need to be on international accord, only Santharian one. What will then happen to someone who kills a priest of Nehtor?

Nehtor is one of the twelve, killing their priests is then a bad thing. My critic is mainly a practical one. I doubt that according to our current scheme you could heal anything on the battlefield because you need more time than just lay your hand on the wound and mumble words. That is even more true for clerical prayers where the spelleffect is granted by a god not created by the caster himself. (at least understood that way by the people)

look at them as the Evangelical end of the Clerical Spectrum

Can you explain that? The evangelical of clerical?

I don't doubt the general concept but I doubt that someone seeking reputation and fame is willing to risk his life in some battle by saving some unknown soldier. That doesn't bring much fame, it contradicts each other in a way.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 29 December 2002, 18:45:00 »

Sounds very interesting!
But I wouldn't call them Zealots in the final entry. Though this is a common expression in English for overactive groups, it was a special sect in former times as well.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2002, 20:12:00 »

Well!
It's nice to see some feedback!

True, I am looking at this from a VERY sarcastic viewpoint. I was thinking of these people like kamikazes, or Martyrs.
They throw themselves into their work, and are rarely understood, which Wren outlined VERY well in her Nehtor rework.
In terms of the spectrum... In religion there are two ends of the spectrum; from what I gather. There are calm, inward-thinking patrons; tibetan monks and Mother Teresa types. Then there are the fast-talking, money-raising Evangelists; I don't know if this happens much in europe, but the Protestant end of Christianity has this down it an art form.

But at times these can get very blurred... Somone looking only to help others may wind up in the limelight due to a good deed. The strength he now has can destroy him. Persuade or command?
I want the white Nehtorians to straddle the fence. Many can be holiest of the clerics, only looking to do good and to heal; Others will heal sporadically and command that they are respected.

I want them to be very zealous. Anything for Nehtor.
But I can't seem to phrase it in a GOOD light! I guess my own disillusionment with religion has made it difficult for me to write subjectively.

Perhaps, Wren, you can help me with this? I can try and write what i can, and you can read it. Then you can write it in an objective viewpoint?

Gerk. What else was there?

Ah, the Zealot Name. I couldn't think of anything else. Perhaps a Thesaurus is in order? besides, that can be changed; Right Wren?

Hm.
So.
I'll get to finishing this up, and try to write it as objective as possible.

Edited by: Viresse  at: 12/30/02 2:24:44 am
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2002, 23:42:00 »

hmmm........if you wanted to put them more in a good light?

you could replace loud with fervent.
obnoxious with dedicated
and near blind etc with focused on the truths that they hold dear to an extent that nothing else seems important?

Of course, it does remove some of the sarcasam this way....
Maybe self-depreciating humor would be better than sarcasam?

Brownie Expert

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 December 2002, 23:44:00 »

Good point.
This is going to take some work though...
I'll work on it tomorrow!

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 December 2002, 06:07:00 »

What is their stance to the temles of Nehtor? Are they wandering monks of those or something similar?

Want to know 'cause this depends heavily on how the White Knights would perceive them a plague or an ally. :D  

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 December 2002, 13:49:00 »

They wander...
Kind of like missionaries.
they leave the temple, go do some work for about 5-10 years, then return with what they've learned and their donations, then head out again after a logn sabattical.

Wren
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 December 2002, 16:54:00 »

How's about I take what you got so far and pull it around a little and then email it to you tommorrow evening....then you can edit it a little as you like.......

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 December 2002, 17:13:00 »

My E-mail is being a little weird. Maybe you can just post it here?

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 January 2003, 01:39:00 »

Maybe this should go in Cosmology?
The information I have doesn't exactly fit here.
Eh?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]