Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Black Dwarves  (Read 13942 times)
John Silvercryst

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 10 November 2001, 15:10:00 »

I was just wondering, where are the Black Dwarves?  Art told me that there were some here, but I never found any, anywhere.  Do these guys still have to be invented/created? Just wondering.

Some people think of the glass half empty, some think of it half full, I think they're both wrong.  It's completely full.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2001, 15:15:00 »

They still need to be invented, yes. I said that there sure are dark dwarves somewhere, so you could actually play one, but we don't have any background on them - yet...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
John Silvercryst

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2001, 18:24:00 »

Can I do that? (I have some ideas!)

Some people think of the glass half empty, some think of it half full, I think they're both wrong.  It's completely full.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2001, 20:36:00 »

(Bard Judith, looking possessively around her and preparing to throw a histrionic tantrum)  Dwarves?  Did someone say dwarves?  They're MINE!  All MINE!

(two royal guards enter and stand threateningly near the doorway)

Um...do I *havta* share?  (pouts)

(Artimidor's face appears in a cloudy mist, beard floating around his wise visage)  YES, DEAR BARD, YOU DO.  NOW PLAY NICE AND HELP JOHN OUT, OR....  (makes vague motion towards the guards)

Oh, pitdamp and rockfalls!

(drags her feet sullenly towards her desk and pushes her lute aside)  Black dwarves, huh, the dark side of the family, we never talk about THEM, mutter grumble, well, what does he think he knows, grump grumph...

(looks at the giant stacks of projects, half-finished work, and scribbled notes that litter her desk top)  All right, so I could use a hand with the dwarves....but he'd better do his research first, so there!

(drops into curule chair and starts rummaging through parchments)  Now, where was that description of dwarven life and beliefs?  Oh, yeah, up on the site already...   that would be a good place to start... and that description of the cavern that Gean and Capher asked for... what else?  (catches the unblinking eye of one of the still motionless guards ) Well, I guess I could listen to what he's got to say...

Bard Judith

"If you will listen to this lay but a little while now,
I will tell it at once as in town I have heard it told,
as it is fixed and fettered
in story brave and bold,
thus linked and truly lettered,
as was loved in this land of old."

J.R.R.Tolkien, 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight'

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

John Silvercryst

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2001, 13:50:00 »

I'm sorry about that Bard Judith!!  I didn't mean to step on any toes!!!

Well here's my idea.  Black Dwarves have a lot in common with regular dwarves.  Except that there are less of them and they are SLIGHTLY more flexible (less stobborn) than regular dwarves.  I was thinking of having these dwarves as the best of what they spealise in (if you are trying to haggle with a black dwarf that speaclises in bartering, you are going to get the short end of the stick.)   They are also not afraid of water, use whatever magic they need to be the best, they don't mind other races, and you can tell what they do for a living by their eye color.  There was only about 1 black to every 40 regular because it is harder for them to  have kids. They dissapeared before/after the last major dwarf war.  Just picked up and left.  No reason whatsoever, one day they were there, the next, they were gone.  Noone knows where they went, but there have been scattered sightings of them around.  

This is just a rough sketch, I probably will need help with this, Bard Judith!!  This is where your vast wisdom of the dwarf world will help this just stranded, poor, and hollucinating person.

Edited by: John Silvercryst at: 11/10/01 9:15:30 pm
John Silvercryst

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2001, 15:13:00 »

I just went looking for some of your work in the Santharian Board, and frankly, I am in awe. Your work is awsome, and you have so much Dwarf stuff in your head, I wish I knew 1/100 of it so I could help you out. (kindof like an assistant). 8o  <---me HAHAHA!

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2001, 06:50:00 »

(bard finds she can't keep pouting under such unmitigated praise, and reluctantly smiles)

ummm... thanks... (kicks a pebble across the floor and tries to make eye contact again)

I guess Black Dwarves are not like Dark Elves, then - they aren't an 'evil' offshoot of the Thergerim?  I was a bit leery about that because of dwarves' established character and religion.  What would their reason for splitting off from the regular dwarves be?  Why did they vanish?  Do they prefer the surface, or like living completely underground (traditional, 'right-wing' kinda dwarves?)  Are there regular Thergerim who have Black relatives?  Do they trade with other dwarves or other races?  

Sorry to have so many questions - hope it will help you give a more complete picture of these guys.  By the way, their 'official name' would be Morgerim, "Darkfolk".  

Regards from the Bard...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 November 2001, 13:16:00 »

I agree with our Bard.  I like the idea of the dwarves being different and not necessarily evil, as a matter of fact, I am more for this idea because they are not evil.  Since they are different it could be a reason for them being known as black.  Sort of like but not necessarily like our own black sheep.

A question, could these black dwarves also sometimes be born to normal dwarf parents?  Something like this:

Drager and Megiid were happy.  After their third time trying they had finally been granted children by the gods.  They were even more blessed at having a son and daughter.  Each were content with the knowledge their line would carry on and they could pass on a part of learning and experience.  But there was a slight shadow to their happiness, their daughter had been born with ice-blue eyes.  This had never happened in their family and they did not know what this foretold.

Just threw this together quickly as an example and know it is not good.  It is just to illustrate my question somewhat.

If you think the sky's the limit, then you have no imagination.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2001, 21:34:00 »

Hey, I like it, Thuja!  I don't see why not - after all, especially if they 'have a hard time having kids' as John put it, their 'tribe' will slowly disappear -

I'd really actually like to keep these guys 'in the fold' even if they don't live together with 'regular' Thergerim.  Perhaps then the 'ice-eyed' babies could be sent to be fostered by or adopted by the Morgerim on a regular basis.  If there is a cordial but distant relationship between them, that would make sense.  Dwarves are, after all, VERY loyal to clan and family.  

What do you think, John?  Do give me a few more ideas....

Bard Judith

Winlok
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 November 2001, 09:15:00 »

Two things that you neglected to mention, and I feel will help you out immensely. This is for doing it together.

Do you both have icq?

Why not file transfer then?

If you both are on different time tables, and zones. One can send a txt file. And lets say the other one is off. They start to download it, and a dialogue box pops up, telling you there offline and do you want to send it anyways. Click yes. When they come on it will start transfering. I thought email was pretty fast, until I found this.  

John Silvercryst

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 November 2001, 16:04:00 »

I was thinking that the reason for the name "black", was because of their skin color, ebony black.  The reason for their leaving I haven't figured out yet, but will take suggestions.  I was thinking of these people as kindof secretive about where they exactly live, so they have only a few people that they have contact with.  

Here's a list of what I thought of the eye colors to occupations:

Blue = Healer

Green = Warrior

Gray = Hunter

White = Mage

Red = Miner

Black = Blacksmith

Gold = Trading/Barterer

Brown = Farmers

Any other eye colors that I would be needing?  the shade Specifies what the Dwarf specilises in.

Edited by: John Silvercryst at: 11/13/01 9:51:21 pm
John Silvercryst

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 November 2001, 16:54:00 »

On another note, do you think we shuld work on the dwarvish history?

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2001, 04:29:00 »

History?  (shudders dramatically)

Feel free to research that...some stuff has already been written.  Personally, I hate numbers and dates, so I leave that up to our Great Sage.  As long as what happens isn't 'out of character' for the Dwarven people, I don't much care.

For example - we have a creation myth and religion for the Dwarves already.  Plus there are some early history records (maybe Capher wrote that?? not sure...) on the site.

Some of my conceptions and opinions:

Dwarves don't go to war much (as a people, that is) but individuals (the daring ones that you'd find on the surface) are often involved in adventures, skirmishes, human battles, and so on.  Remember that dwarves are intensely loyal and familial - dwarf fighting dwarf would have to be a VERY serious matter.  Clans might have some surface rivalries, but they would be expressed in annual hunts, get-togethers, forging competitions, sports days, and so on.  The mining boundaries are very strictly set and codified by law, and dwarven leaders (both male and female) get together regularly to discuss any variations or expansions in any directions.  Also, dwarves hate travelling (generally speaking) and so tend to stay put except for the annual festivals.

Since history is mostly a record of war, movement, conquest and settlements, dwarven history would be pretty static.  (and a refreshing change from all that complicated human history!)  Certainly a simple timeline would be nice, whether to correlate with the other races, or to give the writers something to work with.  Feel free to start working on that if you like.  Just check what's up already first!

Regards from the Bard

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 November 2001, 10:46:00 »

ERR... Um... I may be in trouble here. Since I have a dwarf going to be "Chosen" and I have the a dwarven tribe being held as slaves by Ma'asherom and his slaves of orcs. In my story. I am asking permission from you Bard whether I can make up some names. I will be as true to your concept of the Dwarven society as I can, I promise. In fact if you want I can send you a copy of the chapter(s) which have the dwarfs in them so you can correct any errors I may have made. Or I could email you my concept of how I plan on using them and you can give me your ideas? Whatever you want. I do not want to step on toes.:)

With deepest regards,Capher

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
John Silvercryst

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 November 2001, 15:47:00 »

Me look up history?!?!?  What kind of hersey are you talking about?!??  Seriously, what you said dear Bard was exactly what I was thinking.  But I was just thinking if Dwarves were involved in any of the global wars.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]