Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Black Dwarves  (Read 13926 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #30 on: 05 December 2001, 08:39:00 »

Of course.... I might point out that although HUMANS come in every possible shape, size, and a variety of colours, it does NOT make them a different 'race' - in the sense that we use race in Santharia...

They are still Dwarves, not halflings, Gnomes, Kobalds, Mullogs, or any other species/race - so there is no difficulty with that.  It does simplify your work as you can simply 'add on' the distinctions rather than create ALL of the vast amount of race-work and background from scratch.  

Regards from the Bard

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

John Silvercryst

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 December 2001, 15:26:00 »

I Know I'm missing somthing, but what am I missing!  I just can't think of it right now, so can someone help me with this?

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 10 December 2001, 03:21:00 »

(frowns) um...perhaps a Zanax?  (grins at John)

Cool it, O wild buccanneer, you don't have to worry because anything you are 'missing', i.e. 'don't detail', will be filled in by 'regular' Thergerim society, right?  Whatever you choose to focus on to detail and differentiate will be the end word in Morgerim (by the way, although dwarves invariably use the plural 'erons' ending for races and tribes and so on, humans often leave it off, especially when writing!)  :)

I am working on the  Un'Sthommerons even as we speak (in a manner of speaking...er...writing....typing...whatever!) so with your permission I'll use that legend you came up with to add texture to one of them. Since we have no info for any but the first, Aephesvil, we can pick whom we want to make what.

How about Quontvil - who is actually spelt Kwontvil, as dwarven runes don't have the letter Q - as the 'deity' for the Morgerim?  Then I will use the word 'kwont' to mean 'obsidian' - I need to come up with more rock names anyhow, so that would mesh really well with your story.  

Works for you?

Regards from the Bard

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

John Silvercryst

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11 December 2001, 15:17:00 »

You saved me from going insane and ending up in the basement of a "Home" with my "special" jacket!!!!   THat sounds fine to me.  Thanks again! :)  

John Silvercryst

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 15 December 2001, 11:21:00 »

here is the finished product, hope you like it.

The Morgerim are  group  of the Thergerim (Dwarves).  They look like normal ThergerimErons except for a few siginifcant diffrences.  Their skin is ebony black, their hair is a pure white color, and their eyes are commonly blue, but sometimes they have green eyes.  Other than that, they are the average height, weight, and bone structure as regular Dwarves.  There are some major diffrences in between these races also.  

One of them is their skill level.  Their work is very sought after by other races because they are the best at what their specific jobs are.  Smiths of this race guarantee that all their weapons will never break, and so far, none has.  When the hunters go out to catch food, they have yet to not come back with some meat.  This rule applies to all of the jobs, but a Morgerim can't cross over to other jobs very well.  For example, most smiths of this race are           very  bad at haggling about their prices.  And most farmers can't smith very well, but they can make           very crude farm tools.

Another diffrence is the rarity of indivuals of this race. the Morgerim have a ratio to the Thergerim of 1:25.  This is directly affected by the fertility of the male.  With Morgerim males, about 50% of the sperm are infertile.  Also, they are a bit more sexually active than ThergerimErons.  Their ratio for male/female is 1:2, more like the other races(?).  

Their religion is very similar to the Thergerim belief except for one story.  This story goes roughly like this:   The Un'SthommErons created the Thergerim out of granite to help them become strong and dependent.  When Kwontvil saw how inflexible they were, and didn't want to destroy somthing that him and his brothers already created.  So he desided to make another people group out of obsidian so that they can be more flexible and open to ideas.  He created the Morgerim, but saw after he created them that they have the  disadvantage of being very select in their abilities. (Like a kwont tool.)

Another major diffrence is their atitudes in general.  Unlike ThergerimErons, the Morgerim are a lot more flexible with their job assignment than other Thergerim.  Almost all jobs are shared, from cooking (Which is a big taboo for males in other dwarves lives) to senders to teachers. They also have a class of warriors because none of the other classes are very good at handling weapons, so they need this class in order to defend their homes and lands.

They also concern themselves with what is going on "topside" more then the Thergerim does, because they have more land up there.  Also, they dislike having Orks, Ogres, Goblins, etc. in/on their mountain(s), so they go hunting these regularly.  

The Morgerim have topside farms in secluded valleys that the only entrance is through            they're tunnels or through the skies, and of anything tries to fly into their valleys withought permission, they have about 5-10 (depending on the size of the valley) crack shot crossbowman surrounding the perimeter of each valley.  

The Morgerim trade with only select merchants that they know won't give they're entrances away because they want their homes to be secure from attacks and unwanted guests.  They're anger is vey mercurial which can be a hindrance if you happen to stumble upon one of they're entrances to their homes.  

The Morgerim live in communities ranging from 10 people to (Mining) to 100 (largest city) throughout the Northern Sarvonian mountains.  The reason for these small groups is because of two reasons:  So that they don't put a drain on the local resources and so that they don't attract attention.

You must go down before you go out.

Edited by: John Silvercryst at: 12/20/01 7:07:39 pm
Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 15 December 2001, 11:55:00 »

I would suggest John that you follow the race/tribal entry form after you have everything final. That is the way Art would like it. The revised version is in this thread.

Art I would also suggest that if you approve of the entry form that you make it a sticky post. So anyone who wants or is doing a tribe or race can find the form easily and follow it.

Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.Capher

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #36 on: 17 December 2001, 20:40:00 »

": So that they don't put a drain on the local resources and so that they don't attract attention with sounds, smoke and light. "

I designed an elaborate chimney system for the Thergerim - tunnels filled with a special dried moss - which filters the smoke as it rises to the surface.

Since your Morgerim also live below ground, and guard their entrances even more assiduously than the Thergerim clans, you shouldn't have to worry about attracting attention with sound and light.  Dwarves live in a low-noise environment anyhow, except for the mining, but that takes place deep down below the surface (doh!)

Apart from that minor nitpick, and how to spell the work "mercurial" ("their temperament is mercurial"), I'm happy with the post.  Great work, John!

John Silvercryst

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 December 2001, 14:46:00 »

how would I convert this into the guidelines?  Will I have to fill all of the gaps in here with normal Thergerim actions/uses/etc.? :   Thanks in advance.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 20 December 2001, 10:06:00 »

No no no....worry not....

Your entry will be added on to the bottom of the Clan List (see the appropriate thread in this forum ;] ) as if the Morgerim were another clan, which, in effect, they are - just a bit MORE different!    And of course, whenever they are mentioned in any other entry, Arti will put a hyperlink around the name, so that clicking on the word will take the reader directly to the info on them.  There you go, no problem!

I'd say your work is done, unless you want to add any other DISTINGUISHING details..... but it looks good to me!    I'll edit it and then move it along to Art, if that's ok with you, John.

Regards from the Bard...

Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21 December 2001, 04:14:00 »

"Using low-level magic, patience, positive reinforcement, and some carefully guarded technology of Brownie manufacture (talk to you about this later, Greybark! I'm SURE Brownies will have invented a way to speak to bats, if you haven't already!)"

Can be done, a few Brownies could have learned....and a gagdet like this would be right up the Vale Brownie's alley.....the only thing is...how do we use medieval technology to make a glorified tape recorder?  

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 21 December 2001, 11:03:00 »

(grin) the bat is the 'recording' part....kind of a biological synthesis.  I had in mind a stretched membrane at the heart of a system of funnels, tubes, and sensitively balanced balls and wires.  Since dwarves do have writing, AND amazing hearing, it's not beyond the bounds of probability that they could figure out a way to represent sound visually - like a sound graph, I mean.  A pattern of high, medium and low tones could be used to ring the changes on a Morse-code-like system of words, and then a simple message 'imprinted' on the bat's memory.  I think magic might also be involved here, but don't ask how just yet!  

Will give more details later....in detail!

John Silvercryst

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 21 December 2001, 13:06:00 »

thank you for all of the help, Bard Judith!  This is, I think, done.  If their is anything that you want to see in this?

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #42 on: 21 December 2001, 20:08:00 »

Looks great, John!

I'll take it and HTML it, then post it to Art for inclusion on the site next update.

Regards from the Bard.

Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 22 December 2001, 00:41:00 »

Judith
Sounds like you "get" Vale technology. Sounds great! I like the picture you're drawing with words....
Doesn't sound like it would need magic.....
but if you want to use lifemagic in it, there is a way to "tie off" a living plant or a living piece of wood so that its life essence is in a feedback loop and sustains itself indefinitely, while also having a minute reserve available to be applied consistantly to something....
utilize if you wish.....

John Silvercryst

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 04 January 2002, 14:10:00 »

What does "Stoneflesh will cut flesh of our stone," mean, exactly?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]