Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The Quallian Forest  (Read 9528 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 03 August 2001, 13:37:00 »

:lol  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
SmurfStormcrow

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 August 2001, 20:44:00 »

Oh great. I was going to ask for some. You haven't used it all on Art, have you??? Just a few hours, please? Pretty please? Oh fine, give Art special treatment. I don't care. I'll just slink over to some dark corner and sulk. Don't bother looking for me. You don't have enough time now that you've loaned it all to our dear webmaster. :p  

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 August 2001, 01:30:00 »

Excellent map concept. I like that the elvish woodlands are getting detailed. Great job!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 04 August 2001, 08:30:00 »

BTW: I completely forgot to post the discription Wren added in her mail:

"The red dots are small towns, the dark green dense forest, light green light forest and the bluey green are clearings. The largest dot in a clearing is the capital. The main routes to the outside world are through the lake town and the northern town. I've got no names yet. There are paths and overhead walkways. I think these elves are quite isolated and only intouch with a few local populations outside their own forsts, hence there are only three or four routes out."

Looks nice!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 August 2001, 12:29:00 »

"bluey"
???

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 August 2001, 14:20:00 »

It looked bluey in draw! its that kind of pastel green. Basically the one that isn't dark or bright!

Wren
questions, questions.....

Wren
Santh. Member

View Profile
oh
« Reply #21 on: 04 August 2001, 15:09:00 »

and I should have a sutible entery for the forest ready for tommorrow. The history of my little elves is going to take longer :(

I'm thinking maybe they can be just be a remmenant of the Quaelhorim. Large parts of the forest were destroyed in the Battle of Annihilation. As they're close, maybe until this point they were joined, the Quallian just the western part of the Zeiphyrian forest. Would that work? Diversifications in culture have happend since the tribe have been stranded.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 05 August 2001, 09:26:00 »

Entry ready already tomorrow? Yippie, sound great! Quaelhorhim/Battle idea also sounds workable. Could have been a larger forest in ancient times... Currently things might be a bit too static concerning historical developments as we e.g. just say that Erpheronia was up north, Stratania south, but everything changed of course during the time, lands got bigger and smaller, were renamed etc. so putting in some dynamic things here is appreciated. And: *hehe* Maybe we can get you to work on the Quaelhorhim too this way, Wren;)  

Wren
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 August 2001, 06:29:00 »

I don't mind. I've quite enjoyed it.  

Wren

Wren
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 August 2001, 13:07:00 »

OK peeps. It's long. It needs suggestions. Mistakes, qeuries and comments required :)  I have sent the links (or will depending how soon you read this) to Artimidor. But the major ones I will post.

QAULLIAN,the (Old Ylffer Elvish: “Bright Fragment”)
Small forest in Santharia  and home to the Ylfferhim elven tribe.

The Qaullian is situated west of Santhala, boardering the Aetryam sea, the Vale of the Brownies and the Thevelin River. The Quallian Forest is in fact simply the western end of what was once a much larger forest. During the Battle of Annihilation (806 b.S) large tracts of the Zeiphyrian forest were destroyed, the largest of which was the stretch between the present boarder of the Ziephyrian forest and Thevelin river. This area of the forest came under repeated attack and was cleared by Human forces to allow easy access, both on foot and by boat, to the fort of Elving, and to provide materials for fortifications built by both sides.

The part of the forest that became separated to form the Quallian (centering around the Aieryn River ) lay on the other side of the river, around the  and so was relitavily unaffected by the destruction that the First Sarvonian War had upon Santharia’s central areas. Due to the Ylfferhim’s reluctance thereafter to be involved in the political goings on of Santharia has meant that The Quallian has survived for centuries relitavily untouched.

Flora: Due to the Ylfferhim’s extreme care to co-exist with the forest, The Quallian is one of the most untouched tract of woodland in Santharia and one of the most ecologically diverse, containing the largest number of insect speicies in the kingdom. Within the you will find many different kinds of vegetation.
Mahood-Euwen trees are found in and around elven settlements. They are not native to the forest, but have been brought back from Ylffer pilgrimages to the Thaelon. Although, far from their native enviroment, the trees thrive in the Quallian. Fruit Trees are common, but the most numerous trees are Banyan trees and Cloewen Trees, a species unique to the Quallian, which are very slow growing but are treasured by the elves for their beauty. They have large graceful pinkish-white flowers in spring and again in autumn, and a graceful, twisting, ornamental shape. Most impressively are the Adlemir, one of which, just outside Thi’eryn, is the tallest tree in the known world. Many herbs are native, and those that the forest lacks are grown and tended by the elves. Toward the coast there are many unusual speicies of mosses and grass which have all been documented by the Ylfferhim.

Mineral Wealth: The Ylfferhim have done well to keep the forest in such good condition. It is a rich soucrce of many precious minerals and building material. Marble, limestone, and near the coast sandstone are present in large quantities. The forest is rich in Gold, emeralds, Quartz and Malacite. The Clay soils around the Aieryn can be baked in moulds to form bricks.

Settlement: The Ylfferhim have 10 Settlements in the forest. All but two have no buildings at ground level save military fortifications. Settlements are joined by overhead walkways or barely perceivable tracks. Without an Ylffer guide you are likely to get lost. Settlements are usually large, very extended family groups, excepting the capital. The settlements in order of size are:
Aer'Ylferian
Yln'fain'tir
Drwsyl
Geaf-a-ch’ian
Iyasha
Vallaris
Triyalian
Tri’eryn
Arlinio
Meywnnos

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 August 2001, 00:47:00 »

Yea for Wren, you deserve a ribbon and a cookie.  I like the detail overall.  It seems a very rich area, maybe a little too much?  I don't know.  One other thing, just a little description of each city would be good.  that way if anyone wants to use one of the cities for an event or rpg they have a little idea about it.  Other than that, I like it!  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 07 August 2001, 11:11:00 »

Many thanx for this concept, Wren! I notice some typos in there (especially at the caption of the entry), but someone has mentioned your dear Arti in the same sentence with Xenos when talking about misspellings, so I guess I should keep quiet here... *hehe*

Back to the entry:

1.) As mentioned elsewhere the Thevelin River has to be renamed to something different. The word "Thevelin" is already used for something else.

2.) Concerning the river we could also say perhaps that it wasn't so broad initially (there is an enormous delta there now), but become as it is now because of the actions taken and could break it's way through more easily. Maybe there were some floods too after the woods were seperated and farmers finally used the new lands in order to plant etc. Just a proposal which could be worked in.

3.) Flora is very fine. If possible seperate Compendium entries on the tree types sooner or later would be wonderful. Which reminds me that I still have to do the Mahood-Euwen someday. If I only had enough time, time, time... (Still waiting for your time-mail! *grin*)

4.) Everything else is lovely. My alter ego already would like to head off towards the Quallian in order to meet some elves there for lunch;)  Guess you add some things here and there mayhaps, then the entry is ready for presentation on the site!

Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 August 2001, 20:32:00 »

Nifty work on the different settlement names! I have a terrible time with creating original fantasy-ish names myself :(   Tom, Dick or Harry just doesn't seem to cut it somehow in a fantasy story though I think it's been done.... sometimes I even have to name charas after existing people I know aka Vaelaron! Oh well, I don't think he minds, a little bit of immortality for the real Vaelaron :)  

Edited by: Dala Valannia at: 8/7/01 3:45:00 am
Wren
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 August 2001, 13:53:00 »

Thanks. I cheat though a bit. I take what I think the city should be called in English. Use the Welsh then change the letters till it looks and sounds elfy.

I like the idea about the river. I can add it and send it email or you could add it yourself if you Really want to ;) It only needs a sentence added. Certainly the botony can be a seperate entery if that's better. Do you want me to summerise whats there in this entry, or remove it completly by saying something like the forest is exceedingly diverse see botany (link)? Then I can make the changes and bingo! One forest.

The city descriptions were in a seperate document they are much as they are in this thread. They'll be a lovely surprise  :)

I think the forest has to be that rich, Drogo. I see your point, but the Ylfferhim live in an area that is comparitivly very small compared to other tribes. They have very little contact with the outside world, limited trade, limited flow of ideas. They have no farmland to speak of. If the forest wasn't increadibly rich they would have simply died off. Anyway I think one area of everyworld should be a little echo of the past. Tolkien had Lothlorien, America has the plains, England has Milton Keynes (if you're not British that's sarcasm btw). This is Santharia's. I don't plan for the other to be that rich. They will be rich in other ways. They will have greater power, influence, richer histories and cultures, due to thier mingling with the other races...I hope that kind of explains why I think the Quallian has to be as it is. But if peeps still feel it is too much I will tone it down.

And as for the spelling I'm really sorry. I'll try to do better.

Wren

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 August 2001, 16:22:00 »

Indeed that does make sense when put in such a way.  Thanks for answering that.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 16
Online Ever: 580
(07 December 2019, 09:39:18)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 4
Total: 4

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)