Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Paelelon *how now, brown cow?*  (Read 2272 times)
Viresse
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 06 July 2002, 13:47:00 »

Overview:
The Paelelon is the dark, dense forest home of the Eophyrhim elves. Located in the Ethronian province, east of the Seanian swamps, the Paelelon is particulary quiet and brooding. Few people enter the forest, and some try to take the widest path around it due to its Dark Elven inhabitants.

Description:
The Paeleon is an ancient forest, the Eophyrhim settled here after an argument between Avash'aelia and the Moch'ronn caused the pair to go seperate ways in the year 11750 b.S. The forest floor recieves very little direct light, mosses and fungi are abundant on the forest floor. Fortunately the soil is very rich, and small shrubs grow abundantly at the roots of the many ancient trees.
The Trees of the Paelelon are aweing as well, their girth is far more than a man can reach his arms around. Most notable is that they are quite bare of Elven homes; the Eophyrhim prefer to live close to the earth.
The forest is full of life, albeit a dark life. The Animals of this forest are not much different from the animals of other forests, save their eyes are more adjusted for the lack of light.  The wildlife is timid here, it scatters quickly at foreign noises, and is hard to spot. But if one is still in the forest long enough, the forest awakens with life unseen to the Traveller's eye.
The Homes of the Eophyrhim that reside here are quite unique. They stay rather close to the ground; the highest ranking members of the colonies live among the roots of the grandest trees.

The Paelelon is located quite close to the border of Sanguia, though still located in Enthronia. It is just east of the Seanian swamps, South of Elsreth, and north of the small village of Hog. The Ancythrian sea is a good ride away, but not so far as to be unattainable.

People:
The Paelelon is home to the Eophyrhim Elves, the only dark elves still living within the Kingdom of Santharia. They settled here in ancient times, after the fall of Fa'av'ca'lar in 13000 b.S. No one else resides here, save a few gnomes that are crafty enough to stay out of the way of these Dark Elves. Their religion rotates around Co'or, Arvins and Queprur; their relation toward death and their fearful hunting prowess is proof of this. They are very defensive of the Paelelon; armed guards live around the edge of the forest and defend it from unwelcome visitors.

Coat of Arms:
The Eophyrhim shield is an old design. It is the basic shield shape, covered with a field of black. A simple thick silver border surrounds it, silver studs at each corner. There is a thin circle of silver surrounding a tree with wide outstretched branches. The leafed part of the tree contains a pair of eyes.

Climate:
The area is known for being slightly damp; as the Seanian swamps are not too far away. In the early morning a fog shrouds the floor of the forest. Alltogether the Paelelon is a chilly place due to the dampness and lack of sun. There is little breeze however; it is as if the forest eminates the cold.
In the summer, though, the area can get a little muggy; the dampness of the area creates a sticky heat.
It does not rain often in the Paelelon, if it does it is a gentle mist-like shower of drops. In winter, the Fog that usually rises becomes frozen on the ground, and it creates a glistening wonderland. Leaves snap at one's step, and the trees are coated in a thin layer of frozen dew. It does not snow.

Mythology:
Avash'aelia and the Moch'ronn went seperate ways after an argument, in 11750 b.S. and the Elves stayed with the Moch'ronn while Avash'aelia returned to Fa'av'ca'lar. They headed south to the Paelelon, and settled. Little has changed since then. Perhaps the forest has grown a little more chaotic since the Advent of the Hunter Clerics; but not so much as to be any trouble.

Flora:
Urban and Adlemir Trees are common, with amazing girth and height. Vinterberry bushes with the rare Corpseberry variant live among these trees' roots, mosses and fungi are also abundant. Nightshimmer vines crawl up the trunks of many of the older trees, and the roots of the oldest trees choke out some of the younger ones. Rarely does one come across a felled tree.

Fauna:
Deer in massive abundance, the Etherus Worm's home is only here, some wild goats and sheep, and perhaps a wild pack of Hunting Hounds. Birds are quiet to the passerby, and spotting one is a rarity. Serpents and insects, as well as rodents of varying sizes are spotted more often, though they seem to be darker in demeanor and hue.

Resources:
As there is the Corpseberry and the Etherus Worm within this forest, the Elves of the Paelelon do well by selling ther by-products. The soil is fertile and the ground soft, but due to lack of sunlight, it is hard to grow anything here that isn't native.

History:

11700 b.S. Saban and the Eophyrhim settle in the Paelelon. The forest begins taking on a dark aura.

9758 b.S. First Arvins Festival

9675 b.S. Founding of the Hunter Clerics

6288 b.S. First Queprur's Day

http://www.klintorth.com/images/misc/vir.gif">
*pokey de Viresse* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Edited by: Viresse  at: 8/13/02 6:12:00 am
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2002, 13:37:00 »

Though it seems a bit dangerous there, I would like to visit this wood in winter! The description of this part  I like very much.

Some critics? Well, you mix partly up the wood itself and the people living there. Maybe it is not too much you tell about the Dark elves, but it should maily be under people. You are describing a forest, not a tribe.

Let a special bird sing there which frightens the occasional visitor, would be nicer than no singing birds(just a proposal).
And invent some animals which live there! something living in the trees perhaps?Maiking noices as well?

Agriculture where? In clearings? I think there is no such thing neccessary, the elves could live entirely from the wood, maybe as ....collector(?) of things in addition to the hunting.

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2002, 20:52:00 »

Herm. I have made the Etherus worm for cloth export ... the Corpseberry for Wine export... Uhm...
As for the agriculture; I only meant it in the sense of collecting Vinterberries. The cultivate them... maybe I should change that word.
As for the Tribe being involved as well... I thought the entry was supposed to be directed that way... I'll change it to be directed toward the Land aspect.
Hm, a Bird.... Okay. I have been thinking of making a Predatory bird, I'll make one for here... hm... and do we have raccoons? I can make a raccoon-ish fellow!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2002, 06:45:00 »

Yup, agree with Talia: Centering around the land aspect would be best, Viresse. Though of course the Eophyrhim have always played an important part in the history of this forest. But focussing a bit more on the location is necessary. Anyway, very good that another Places description is now in development - we need more of these:)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 7/14/02 1:46:29 pm

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2002, 13:00:00 »

right. I'm not at home now, I'll do it when I get back. As for places development, it's kind of fun. I was thinking about doing the Cyhalloi Tundra...  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2002, 15:09:00 »

Cyhalloi Tundra sounds very good as well, Viresse. I'd like to use the Santharian title pic on it - accompanied by Ralrok's Northern Theme (see General Discussions). What do you think?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 July 2002, 23:02:00 »

*runs over to the Opening Page*
Oh... yeah, that'd be cool. Just... the trees might be a problem... there aren't many trees on Tundra... but that can be solved with the Creation of one... *grins*

Sure Arti. When I'm done with THIS, I'll get right on it.

Feanor the Grey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2002, 06:32:00 »

I was attracted to this post because it's the paelelon forest and my character is near it so I read the discussion thoroughly.

Hmm...comments on certain things that I have noticed are laready mentioned above so i wont mention them again.

But if they are dark elves... shouldn't they be isolationists? Prefering not to be bothered by anyone else? Avoiding outsiders and maybe killing people coming inside their forest too deep without warning? And since the dark elves are a certain way and if you agree about them being isolationists, they shouldn't trade with any other races, right?

Just a point of view here, wanted to see who they were in your minds, and not on paper. Since they are "dark" elves, they should act more or less in opposition with their "light" counter part, no?

The description of the forest helped a bit for describing the regiion my character is. If you want Viresse, we can work together and make a sketch map of the region. I only needto know how many commynities of "dark" elves are in there. Just a suggestion, I just made part of the forest who are shown on this thread, so you may want to take a look too. :)  

"The world is big, who knows what is possible and what is hidden in these vast lands."

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2002, 16:29:00 »

*grits her teeth*
I can take care of my own Elves, thank you.

Feanor the Grey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 July 2002, 19:50:00 »

I was just wondering what they wre exactly.  

"The world is big, who knows what is possible and what is hidden in these vast lands."

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 29 July 2002, 13:04:00 »

Will check it during the next week, so not in this update, but I'll get to it, Viresse;)  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2002, 14:40:00 »

To Feanor: I guess Viresse has explained the trading thingy very well in her Eophyrhim entry already, which is fine with me:

"The Eophyrhim can glean items and pay from frightened travellers asking for their lives to be spared. In rare occasions, they will approach an entire caravan and attack it, taking the items. They are selective however, usually only taking textiles. They will sell leftover material for money in nearby towns and buy swords, knives, bows and jewelery. In lean times, they will sell live animals and meat in nearby towns.

Corpse-berry wine can be traded in nearby towns for a great sum of money, and greedy travellers come to the forest edge and request it by name. Eophyrhim hunting hounds are sought after by nobles all over Sorren, and can be sold for a great price."

Back to the entry:

- Description:  You mention Avash'aelia and the Moch'ronn here, but not time when it happened etc. 1.) Please explain those 2 a bit. 2.) Make sure to include exact dates whenever you refer to something historical. This will help others if they read the entry to see a general timeline. This could also be elaborated in more detail in the history part.

- People: Well, this part is pretty small now, too small for my taste. Some more general data on this elven tribe couldn't hurt here in this section, at least they're the only inhabitants of the forest.

- Fauna: Trees: What kind of trees exactly?

- Resources: As there is a rare plant and animal within this forest If you read only the Resources part you won't get to know what plant you speak of and what animal. Please include more details here!

Rest seems fine with me, Viresse. If you can fix the mentioned things, we can put it up, I guess;)  

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 July 2002, 14:48:00 »

Okay. No probloem. I hadleft the date out because I wasn;t sure of it; will hunt that down. I'll also include what you asked and re-elaborate on the People section. As for the Trees; again, wasn't sure. Will look that up. Was thinkign something along the line of redwoods; does anyone know what those are? hm... maybe me make-em...hm...

Anyway; Get on it tonight...

Feanor the Grey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 July 2002, 14:58:00 »

Np Artimidor, clearer now, suits them well too. :)  

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: c4r0lyn18
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 191
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 157
Total: 157

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)