Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cyhalloi Tundra  (Read 2053 times)
Viresse
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 28 August 2002, 22:05:00 »

Overview:
A land mass northeast of northern Sarvonia the Island comtinent of Cyhalloi is far different than anything further south. At first glance the Tundra of Cyhalloi seems barren and desolate. Upon closer inspection, the gentle rolling fields covered in ice and snow are teeming with local flora and fauna. The forests are a frozen wonderland; the ice casting the weak sunshine into brilliant glimmers of color that change when one moves.

Description:
As stated, the Cyhalloi Tundra seems desolate and cold. But to the tribes and races that live here, the tundra is the most lively and liveable place on the continent. The tundra spreads across the interior of the large continent, and is struggled over by the local tribes and races for the biggest pieces. Sheep, rodents and goats graze on the sparse grass, and wolves, bears and other carnivores prey upon these. There are not many insects or large birds living in the Tundra; it is quite cold and makes it very difficult.
In the forested areas of the Tundra, the trees shelter the ground, allowing some of the more colorful plants to live in shelter from the cold gusts. Paths are worn all through these forests; giving a sense of great use. However, these paths are created by the snow that falls from the trees, it lands upon the earth and wipes away any seedlings that try and take hold.
The Cyhallrhim towers stand tall and erect beyond the reaches of the Tundra; as the Cyhallrhim are not fond of conflict. Kasumarii carryhomes pepper the tundra in small abundance.

The Continent of Cyhalloi is Located northeast of  Northern Sarvonia, and north of Nybelmar. As the continent is quite surrounded by ocean, the amount of foreigners who visit is few. The Tundra of which we speak spans the interior of the main-land mass, reachable from shore by a two- to three-day trek by steed.

People:
There are a few sparse tribes that colonized the Cyhalloi continent. The Kasumarii are the warrior human tribe, they have taken up a vendetta against the Cyhalloian Orcs. The Cyhallrhim are the ghostly Elves of the Continent, quite primitive compared to brethren of other continents. ( Are there others? I know there were plans of them, but have they been created)

Climate:
The Cyhalloi Tundra is cold. Very cold. Its inhabitants wear heavy layers of fur and cloth, and cloaks to wrap about themselves. Ice and snow is ever-present, and few plants of warmer climates can break through the cold snap. Plants that live here are only native to Cyhalloi.

Mythology:
As the people who live here are quite serious, there is little room for myth. The Kasumarii base their tribes upon the Nightsons; they maintain that it is not Myth. The Cyhallrhim have no myths, they prefer not to clutter their already-hard lives with something unreal to fear or wish for.
Some hunters claim there is a troll or beast that roams the tundra; beating them to kills and scaring them unnecessarily; few try to think about it.

Flora:
The Plants of the tundra are for the most part dull and drab in color, that lau low to the ground to avoid the cold and the wind. While some of the plants use animals to transport their seeds, others prefer to hide among others and deposit their seeds themselves. All of the plants of the Tundra are native to Cyhalloi; it has been proven that if a plant is withdrawn from the Tundra and placed in a warmer climate; it either dies or grows to amazing size. The Skyweed is believed to have originally been native to Cyhalloi; the plant seems well-contained in the cold of the tundra.

Fauna:
Goats and Sheep are in abundance, though their numbers are kept down due to the tribes that hunt them. Bears, wildcats and wolves, as well as otrher carnivores also hunt these animals; though these hunters are not seen so often. Small ground birds flourish here, though large birds that take to wing are rare. Most animals here ahve only a small distinction to their warm-climate relatives; they have thicker fur and a small layer of fat to keep warm. Some grow fur on their paws for traction on the ice.

Resources:
Though the tundra seems desolate, the land is rich in resources to those that know what to use and where to look. Sheep wool can be woven into thick, heavy cloth and pelts are even better at insulation. The meat of these animals is rationed; what is not eaten right away can be packed in ice for a later meal. Sinew makes great string, cord and rope; much stronger than that of the sheep-wool. Bones and horns have uses as pins, buttons, beads and other trinkets, as horns can be ornamental or used in trade. Whales and seals are used in the same fashion; though their massive amounts of fat are used in candles and seasonings. Plants can be boiled and combined to make foods and seasonings; some are medicinally useful. Metals are easy to find in Cyhalloi, though they are impure and pliable. This makes them near useless for things other than cooking and weak defense armor.

Myth/Lore:
As stated earlier, hunters claim that there is a massive creature that roams the Tundra, hunting animals, stealing kills and un-necessarily scaring tribesmen. Some accounts are included below:

" The beast is huge! it has to be at least 3 peds in height! and covered in fur! Or ice... I'm not sure. But it looks like a bear, who walks erect with blood red eyes. "
Estoor, Kar-ii Greendeath

" Had taken down a goat with my bow at 20 peds out, I did indeed. Saw the goat fall and everything... but when I got there, all I could find was a bloody mess. No goat anywhere. The thing took my kill and wasted my time. Next time I see him, he'll be MY meal.
" Ammos, Kar-ii Korenjaan

" Child and I among brush. Pick of berries near Tower. Beast appear; hair like ice, eye of flame. Roar like cold wind entangled bear. We ran indeed."
Yo'inlia, Cyhallrhim

History:
11880 b.S. Leaving of F'v'cl'r
The tribe soon to be know as the Cyhallrhim leaves F'v'cl'r as internal struggles begin tearing it apart. They travel north, as most of the tribes seemed to be heading southward. They become nomadic, living in tents and their features becoming more and more unique from other elves.

602 b.S. Flight from Nyermersys
The origins of the Kasumarii are traced back to the Plague of Nyermersys of 602 b.S. A large group of panicked citizens evidently puts their trust in several departing vessels; this portion of Kasumarii history is known as the Exodus. Evidently they make their way to Covert Major, and at that point records are sketchy.

(there is it, bueno?)

http://www.klintorth.com/images/misc/vir.gif">
*pokey de Viresse* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Edited by: Viresse  at: 9/11/02 9:35:16 pm
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2002, 09:45:00 »

oi! Ish done...

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2002, 02:22:00 »

Bueno!!!

A lot to read!
Looks good Viresse, just some things..

Location: North of Nybelmar?The map tells me something else, just northeast of Sarvonia????

and there are several islands, not just a landmass, or??

Climate: you can't say in general that ice and snow are everpresent, maybe in some parts, but there has to be some open land for two months so that a flora can develope..
what about some new plants, typical, create two or three!,At least an overview to carry on with!

Fauna: If the flora is only found there, for the fauna would have to apply the same...new animals. If you have goats and sheep, were they brought from the other continent with the settlers maybe?

Myth:
"As the people who live here are quite serious, there is little room for myth "

Not neccessary, up there it is dark for a great part of the day (though I don't know why yet), therefore they would have time to tell a lot of stories around a fire.
Viresse, invent some more! No excuse!!!for every tribe extra ones, LOL

***Astropic of the day***

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 9/17/02 9:23:14 am

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2002, 17:17:00 »

aww, was trying to avoid making stuff. When I do, they never wake up the links.
*shuffles*
I guess I have some work to do still.

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2002, 00:07:00 »

Is there a reason this was never posted?!

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - character descriptions moderator

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2002, 06:52:00 »

Don't know, however as it is summarizing the whole continent(I assume) maybe adding a list of the tribes with short descriptions, etc. would be good.

The more detail goes into that entry the better you and others can use it as the fundament for developing the continent!

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 November 2002, 19:49:00 »

Yeh... who's that.
Just the Cyhallrhim...
and.... the Ka'rii.
And...

?

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2002, 16:23:00 »

Well, I think It's ready to go. I really do.

Sahndorf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 November 2002, 23:19:00 »

Cold... Tundra... Love that weather and also the entry. :)

I have only one question and request:

Can I write the Tundra Beast (grrrrrrrr) legend?

All the best, Sahndorf.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 11 November 2002, 02:20:00 »

No problem with you doing the Tundra Beast from my side, Sahndorf, in case Viresse has no objections.

I've prepared the entry for the update adding Firoellina's pic (which we already have on the frontpage), Viresse, though of course it is a bit general here and there, simply because not many details are known about Cyhalloi yet (e.g. flora and fauna). But more details can be added as soon as more things are developed for Cyhalloi, and it seems that some more things will soon be done in the Kasumarii context, so this is a start here then.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 November 2002, 00:22:00 »

Exactly.
Leaving it vague allows for reworking in the future.
Cyhalloi is far from done, so to close it up so tight would just make it frustrating for creators.
I truly appreaciate the posting.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: c4r0lyn18
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 13
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)