Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Seraia  (Read 4912 times)
Viresse
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 06 December 2002, 23:08:00 »

Overview:
Seraia is located in Southern Sarvonia, in the province of Brendolan. Surrounded by the Sharadon, the town of Seraia has evolved to accomodate their closest neighbors, The Maeverhim. These Elves consider it near unholy to touch the earth. To allow trading between the elves and to make them comfortable in the town, the locals built bridges from building to building 5 peds above the earth as well as entrances at both floors. The town is know for being friendly and comfortable, and trade is swift and encouraged. It is a good resting place for those passing through the Sharadon, as the residents are willing to help others.

Description:
Seraia is nearly surrounded by the Sharadon, which sets a natural border for the town. Many of the residents are Elves of the Maeverhim, they have linked the Town to the forests and the colonies with sturdy bridges of wood and rope. Seraia is a decent sized town, run mostly Elves. Seraia has few landmarks, save for it being a major trading post. There are some temples, the largest being to Grothar, due to Maeverhim influence. However, the temple is not large, due to both weight and height restrictions to accomodate the Elves of the Sharadon.

The city mostly consists of two story buildings, the second floor usually the main entrance to the establishments or homes they contain. All buildings are connected by walkways and bridges built between and around the buildings, to accomodate the Elves that live here and in the forest.

Many of the buildings are made of heavier materials using clay, wood or stone walls to elevate the home to the 2nd story height, which makes for more stability and security of possessions on the lower floor. Poorer families build their homes upon stilts arranged about the base of the home in a stabilizing pattern, or those that do not desire to associate with the nearby elves live on level ground just beyond the center of town, with similar materials as the other homes.

Seraia is in the Brendolan province, surrounded by the Sharadon forest. It is just north of the Narfost Plain in Southern Sarvonia. To the east is the town of Antiragon. Seraia is a comfortable town for the humans who live here. Mostly of Avennorian blood, they have a sense of lust for the sea, and the town is only a day's ride from either shore.

People: In the past, Humans were in great abundance, but many turned into traders, moved to a more civilized area, or returned to the coast; as of most humans in this area are of Avennorian blood. About 50% of the town is inhabited by Maeverhim traders.
The town is visited heavily by Sharadon locals, who trade extensively. Roughly 10% Gnomes, who help maintain the Maeverhim wind systems. 15% of the population is brownies, the mischevious Aohu'o, who get along quite well with the Maeverhim.
This tribe of brownies hail from the Continent of Akdor, but the Aohu'o are explorers by nature. Landing on boats just North of Voldar, they travelled with a trading caravan, several families staying at small towns and forests all along the way.The remaining families of the travelling Aohu'o settled in Seraia due to the largely untouched forest, a trading town with a interesting and playful structure, and many people of inviting and friendly demeanors who welcomed the Brownies as new residents.
Dwarves seem to be unfond of the elevation and pass through quickly.

Coat of Arms:
Due to its neighbors, Seraia has quite a similar coat of arms to the Maeverhim. A blue eight-sided shape, with a border of silver, a golden trestle-like patter is laid over it. Two white feathers to the left and right and in the center is a green sphere. Inside of the sphere is a crown of gold, with a sword and an arrow laid beneath it.
The shape of the shield represents the structure of buildings, the silver of trade, the gold trestle representing its bridges. The feathers pay homage to the bird of the Maeverhim banner and the Elves' influence, the green sphere symbolizing the seclusion of the Elves for so long. The Gold crown symbolizes the parade of Elven ronns and ranns that Sharadon has seen, the sword of the Humans and the arrow of the Elves.

Climate:
The climate of Seraia is cozy, with the trees making a wall around the town. This keeps the sea breezes out. The sun is warm and the occasional rains are light and refreshing.

Resources:
Trading is a major resource for the town, as 75 percent of the city's income is from trade. The city imposes a 10% tax from all trades, which allows the town to flourish. The Maeverhim are fond of trading, and enjoy making the trades the best for all parties. Tourism is also a resource, making the other 25% of income. Many of the forest-dwelling Maeverhim make trinkets and their child-like disposition and hospitality make it well worth the mid-level price they charge.

Mythology:
A myth of the Coastal Redwoods seems to have come from this region...

Legends once tell a story of a young Tethinrhim who was very proud of himself and his accomplishments. His cocky attitude was not well liked, however, and several of his tribemates sought to end his life. Upon discovering this, the arrogant Tethinrhim ran. His pursuers followed him. The frightened elf ran all the way to the sea. He realized that the game was up, and he dropped to his knees and prayed to the Goddess of the Soul Harvest that She would not collect his soul in a painful manner. Queprur was awed and amazed by this young warrior who chose to pray to her in his time of need. So She blessed the red-haired warrior by sparing his life and turned him into a Redwood.

Flora:
The forest is not thick in Seraia; grasses, bushes and trees natural to the area are in abundance. Some traders dump overstock or flawed plants imported from all over the continent and the world, so some plants that may not normally grow here have adapted or died.

Fauna:
Considering it is a town, animals of the region stay away from it. Mimsies (both domesticated and wild) are seen raiding storage areas and causing racuous havoc at night. Psittae are a bit uncommon but they exist here; unlucky traders with broken cages means these birds come to live semi-wild in the town. Zephyrian hunting hounds also are semi-wild inhabitants of Seraia.

Resources:
Trading is a major resource for the town, as 75 percent of the city's income is from trade. The city imposes a 10% tax from all trades, which allows the town to flourish. The Maeverhim are fond of trading, and enjoy making the trades the best for all parties. Tourism is also a resource, making the other 25% of income. Many of the forest-dwelling Maeverhim make trinkets and their child-like disposition and hospitality make it well worth the mid-level price they charge.
Travellers enjoy stopping along their route here. What better place to enjoy an ale and take a load off, as well as TRADE than in a quaint trading village just outside the one of the most untouched forests in all of southern Sarvonia?

History:

1582 b.S.  Travellers establish a rest point. Only a few fire rings and flattened ground with a rutted trail that runs through the Sharadon. The Maeverhim are not bothered by the Trail, as those that use it do not intend to stay, unlike the travelling brownies that tried to over-run the forest.

1500 b.S. Seraia is founded by Wessir Greenbow, named after his daughter. A Trader's post, a tavern and two houses are all that stand.

1426 b.S. Travellers living in the small village begin correspondence with the Maeverhim. They shoot arrows into the treetops, with letters attached.

1326 b.S. Maeverhim elves drop a ladder down to the Seraia inhabitants, and the travellers climb the ladder to begin trade. Soon an elevated platform is made so that the Elves can bring items down.

1108 b.S. The Aohu'o reach Seraia, a small group of only 175 brownies.They pick Seraia becuase of its closeness with the forest and its natural surroundings.

806 b.S. The Maeverhim retract their bridge to Seraia, fearing the approaching war.

753 b.S. Seraia recieves the Ladder from the Maeverhim, and trade begins again. More and more businesses are built to accomodate the Elves.

110 b.S.Retaliation by Saban Blackcoat. The city is stormed by the Moch'ronn, using the only passage to the Maeverhim colonies to imprison the elves.

3 a.S. First Nybelmar shipments are recieved.

(done!)

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Edited by: Viresse  at: 12/27/02 6:51:41 pm
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2002, 23:08:00 »

Is this done?

Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2002, 00:48:00 »

I like how they built elevated walkways to accomodate their elven trading partners

Brownie Expert

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2002, 02:54:00 »

*grins superbig*
thanks!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2002, 08:44:00 »

This sounds like an interesting multi-racial town, which we haven't had so far in Santharia - humans, elves, gnomes. Sounds like a very good idea and quite appropriate for this location as well:)

I've already prepared the entry for the site, though it would be good to know an approximate ratio of elves/humans/gnomes (30%, 65%, 5%). Are the humans predominating or the elves, do they produce something special? They are still Avennorians as it seems, though they aren't living at the sea. Maybe there is story behind this where they settled. You say this is a resting point - from where to where did they travel to rest? And is there a safe passage through the Sharadon the elves allowed before the town was founded?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2002, 02:22:00 »

Hm.
Alot of questions.

50% Maeverhim elves, about 25% humans, and 10% equal of brownies and gnomes. The rest are of a small populus, Orcs, psyerpents, you get the idea.

As for the settling of the Avennorians; Seraia was originally established as a Trading post. What better place to make a good amount of money than to live in a trader's town? Seraia is also close enough to the sea to not make one weary for it; About a day and a half ride.

For the resting-point. I simply assumed Travellers would want to stop along their route at some time, and what better place to enjoy an ale and take a load off, as well as TRADE than in a quaint trading village just outside the one of the most untouched forests in all of southern Sarvonia?

Safe Passage; Yea. The elves had no problems with passers-through; So elevated above the earth made them little hassle. However, to speak of the Brownie Barrage long before; The Maeverhim simply didn't want heir forest claimed simply becuase the "claimers" lived beneath them...

Have I made any sense?
I hope so. I'm a bit tired, heh.

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2002, 04:58:00 »

hmmmm......5% Brownie population, you say? Interesting.....which tribe derivation were you thinking?  

Brownie Expert

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2002, 14:29:00 »

I don't know yet; any suggestions?
Something that would go well w/ my cheery Maeverhim.
I'll look into it.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2002, 16:24:00 »

So if I get that right the town first was a human one, then with elven influences, and now it has turned more or less into an elven one in fact with human inhabitants as well.

And... hmmm... orcs and psyrpents as part of the city's population down there seems a bit too strange for my taste, especially orcs.

We might add a race of half-orcs, though, which can live in human towns (though seen mostly as "scum"). I remember that the more or less worldwide unknown Realms of Arcania (the german "Das Schwarze Auge" RPG game) uses such a race (Hobgoblins? that the right word?). Such a semi-race would add some more flavor to Santharian civilization I guess. They serve various purposes: They could represent a sort of lower class, live in "slums", can be used as workers etc. On the other hand their integration in modern Santharian society may be an important task for the kingdom. The tension between these two extremes can of course produce interesting resullts: As cheap workers the hobgoblins (?) could be looked down upon by the typical workers in the towns as they don't need that much payment to live in their huts etc. I always liked the idea of having such a class-system with an additional fantasy-halfrace. It makes medieval society more realistic methinks.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2002, 01:51:00 »

Yuh?
Hm.
I wanted to make the town varied, without leaving anyone out.
Okay, so give that extra percentage to... uhm.
The brownies.
Yar.

As for the Hobgoblins...
Ooh, what FUN!
Finally, something grimy, slummy and sneeky as well as being widely accepted....

If the idea comes up proposed again, could I work on it?
It could be a smaller race of Orcs.

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 December 2002, 05:35:00 »

hmmm...well basically two options.....Rat Brownies or the Akdorian/Aohu'o tribe....

Rat Brownies are illiterate, uncultured, without too many special skills....

Akdorian/Aohu'o act much like in "Willow", if you've ever seen that. They are mischivious, kinda crazy, enjoy playing jokes on people, and are all crack shots with their bows and blowtubes. Excellent hunters. Scattered groups of them are found all over Sorren.

Brownie Expert

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 December 2002, 02:29:00 »

Aohu'o. Defenitely.
What fun little buggers they'd be!
*always liked them pesky guys in Willow*

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 December 2002, 02:42:00 »

Well, I edited it with the information we've uncovered.
Anything else?

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 December 2002, 08:53:00 »

:D  

Basically a boatload of Auhu'o settled there sometime in the past then....

Brownie Expert

Edited by: Greybark at: 12/19/02 2:54:26 pm
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 December 2002, 02:40:00 »

hm, maybe a small group hicthed a ride with a trader.
Yesh, the Trader uprooted their home! And took it to Seraia, and the small gathering of Aohu'o jumped tree while they had the chance, and scurried into the town, to reproduce and live on as mischevious little residents!

Or not. Maybe I should look that up.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: c4r0lyn18
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 89
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 101
Total: 101

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)