Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Pest Pillar of Nyermersys  (Read 5483 times)
Viresse
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 06 February 2003, 21:45:00 »

Pest Pillar of Nyermersys

The Pest Pillar of Nyermersys was erected just after the Great Plague of Nyermersys to represent the terrible event that may very well have been lost in history had it not been for the grotesque pillar. Many people it also to be a kind of Shrine to Queprur, Goddess of the Dead and Patron of Nyermersys. The pillar is located in the Main plaza of Nyermersys, in the Neyerman province of Santharia.

Description:
The pillar is made of a beautiful grey-hued stone, perhaps granite or marble, and holds amazing detail as well as exquisite smoothness. The Pillar stands well over three peds. The shapes of rat and mouse corpses piled upon one another is the main structure of the pillar. To further represent this, the pillar is wider at the base ( 1.5 peds in diameter) than the top ( .5 peds). At the base of the tower is a wide, smooth platform which has the following statement of the Great Plague written in Tharian, Styrash and Thergerim.

In 1046 c.c. Queprur took 4500 lives by the Plague of Thevelin. Only her Clerics came and saved those ailing when others turned away. Her touch taught us and in return we Honor her.

A fourth etching is rutted around the base, it is the translation of the Statement in Browniin, not included in the original design. At the pinnacle of the tower is a small platform upon which is a cloaked rat with a Scythe. Many believe that this tower was where the representation of Queprur as a Rat came from, though most believe that the Grave House and the Pest Pillar were erected at the same time and therefore with the same thought in mind.

Corpses of rats and other small animals litter the base of the Pillar, as do boquets of flowers and letters to the dead. While few actually visit the pillar like they do the temple, it seems as if people do stop by and look upon it and leaving tokens of faith there.

The pest pillar of Nyermersys is located in the Main plaza of the Cityin the province of Nyermeran, in Santharia. It borders northern Sarvonia.

Mythology:
As Nyermersys is a mostly human town in which many believe that Queprur visits regularly, the thoughts and images of Queprur run rampant in the city. Not in the way of a Spirit like many Elves think of the Silent Goddess, but as a monstrosity that is aloof and cold, even calculating. The image of the Queen as a Rat did indeed start here in Nyermersys, with the Plague.

"It is said that it were the rats that brought the Black Death through the sewers to Nyermersys and thus the image of Queprur in rat-form developed in the heads of the artists of this town. "

Santharian Copendium

Many locals claim that Queprur visits the Pillar regularly. Those that live in homes facing the pillar claim that a beautiful, pale Woman in a dark cloak regularly visits the area at late hours, pausing at the pillar for a short time then moving on. They claim that in the morning that all that was left at the base of the pillar had disappeared.

An elderly local ( "Old Red" was what he called himself ) laid out a particular story:

"Every great while, usually the years of bad Harvests, thousands of rats will go to the pillar a night of the Full moon.

They will scramble for hours at its base, never touching it. Thet climb around and among one another as if a great pilgrimage of ALL the rats of Sorren had gathered to the plaza for a grand homecoming. And right before the sun rises all the rats will begin climbing on top of one another, as if trying to recreate the pillar itself! They waver and lean for the longest time, and just before they are touched by the first rays of the sun, all the Rats seem to turn into the form of a single living creature, taking on the body of a Woman.

And the Light hits them... and they vanish... It is said that rats that don't leave before the first rays of sun during the "Night of Returning" freeze on the pillar and become part of the monument. Sometimes inhabitants who look at the column regularly may discover a rat being part of the composition they haven't never seen before... Legend or reality? Noone knows..."

Nobody knows when the rats return to worship their Goddess, but whenever people hear strange noises at night, they are superstituous and stay inside, fearing that seeing the rats might bring back the plague. Also it is rumoured that the sudden disappearance of a night watchman is related to this strange returning of the rats.

History:

603 b.S.
The Pest Pillar of Thevelin ( Later Nyermersys) is erected. While it seems to apall the visitors and the tasteful, the townspeople find it eerily suiting.

501 b.S.
Thanks to the strong armies defending the city, Thevelin is the last city to fall when Epheronia falls. The defenses keep the pillar safe within city walls.

500 b.S. Thevelin is Renamed to Nyermersys. The city name on the pillar is not changed, to represent the Past.

482 b.S.
The Founding of Tharnia causes Nyermersys is second to Voldar in the largest city in the new kingdom. While many of the citizens from further south are disgusted by the Pillar, the Quepruran clerics and the families of those that survived the Plague keep it safe.

ca.290 b.S.
Nyermersys falls to orcs and Barbarian tribes. While few orcs can read the inscriptions on the pillar, they seem to respect it and do not destroy it. The barbarians fear and respect it.

230 a.S.
The first time it is noticed that the translation of the text into Browniin is etched into the face. The small size, low height and crude skill of the writing prove that it was indeed a brownie who wrote it, but whom it was is impossible to tell.

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 4/5/03 2:17:45 pm
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2003, 03:01:00 »

How would it look like?

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2003, 23:26:00 »

Hm. Well, Like we had spoke in the Plague entry; a tall pillar much like the European ones, but with images of rats and bugs and dead folk in a bas-relief kind of dealey. Give me about an hour and I'll try to crank out a little piccy. Nothing fancy; just to express my idea.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2003, 10:47:00 »

Viresse, admit it, your day has 48 hours!

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2003, 20:39:00 »

It's not that!
It's that this Fussy copm won't connect to my web server and All day I had school!
Lemme try it now.

There we go.

Edited by: Viresse  at: 2/8/03 2:42:52 am
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2003, 23:47:00 »

That place is busted. Crap.
Uhm. So.
I'll write it up then and see how y'all like it.

Gararion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2003, 01:21:00 »

I will be keeping an eye on this thread Vir.  It will add more detail to my story :)  

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2003, 23:57:00 »

Cool. I'll try and get to work on it. Probably m0nday as I have layout HW and this Friday is VALENTINE'S DAY!

*dumps frodo by the wayside for the weekend to snuggle with her Rudy!*

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - Adventures of Sorren Administrator

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2003, 13:00:00 »

The pic is still not working, Viresse, but you could just send it over there (even if it's not finished), then I can host it on our Resources webspace:)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2003, 23:07:00 »

Uhm.
Okay.
Lemme go snag it and I'll send it to ya.
Even if it's not done.
Maybe someone like Elrelen, quellion or Faugie kin crank out somethin' nicE?

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - Adventures of Sorren Administrator

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 26 February 2003, 15:07:00 »

Ok, I've just substituted the broken link with a working one (see above).

In this sketch definitely your affinity to comical drawing is very obvious, Viresse. The idea of the composition is cool (rat on rat, close together), but it would need an artist who can express sinister emotions and death and pain in the column (which I think should be black as hell), and I really guess this would be a Faugar thingy. The rat on top looks much too funny, so this doesn't go too well with disease, death and destruction. I think the picture should also give the impression that the rats are crawling over each other like in a horror movie, so I think the column could look like a heap of rats at the bottom (over some corpses perhaps), then become thinner the higher it gets. The top could also represent a bone hand, reaching out or something. I guess there are really horrible possibilities with this idea.

Faugar seems a bit stressed at the moment, but I'll write him abut the pic, maybe this is something he can imagine to do...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 2/25/03 9:18:12 pm

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 26 February 2003, 16:49:00 »

:lol  aww.. you thought of me when it's about death and horror :lol
but yeah, this sounds strangely appealing to make :evil
This pillar - is it supposed to be carved out of wood/stone/metal or anything? sorry for my ignorance.. :o

I think if I can pull myself together tomorrow, I could come up with something, and maybe even do this Dala's portrait too.. we'll see. Thanks for thinking of me btw!

Only         when you awake, will you know you fell asleep..          

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 26 February 2003, 17:14:00 »

I thought of some sort of black stone (marble?), as Nyermersys is the dark city and having a sinsister column in the center makes it very cool for the City of Queprur, Goddess of Death and Rats - oh, and we've made this town your Santharian home as well in your People entry, Faugar, so you practically only need to look out of the window and draw it! :D

Oh, and I think day and night about our dear artists, including you of course, Faugar!! But mostly these thoughts consist of having remorses about giving you too much work... :lol  

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 February 2003, 18:30:00 »

ya. I'm an Animator. I can't get around that. But I think that my analog ( as opposed to digital!) works are increasing rapidly, though I am in no way a fine artist of any particular caliber.

As long as that column makes sense. Your ideas are fantastic, Arti. Beeg thumbs up.
And Faugie, don't lie. Even if you like painting tha monsters, you're just a big softie and I know it.
*huggles*

Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 26 February 2003, 20:30:00 »

:rollin  

Only         when you awake, will you know you fell asleep..          

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: c4r0lyn18
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 337
Online Ever: 337
(Today at 02:38:29)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 91
Total: 91

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)