Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Blood of the Demon (Shadows)  (Read 6994 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 20 November 2001, 15:26:00 »

Yup, also wanted to comment here, now that I've finally read the whole chapter:)  Indeed the descriptions are very well done, not only the battle scenes, but also landscape descriptions and several other atmospheric things you add to the story. We want more, yup!

The only problem I had when reading the text is that you definitely do too much commas, Winlok! They made the text quite difficult to read. Typos/misspellings were mostly corrected in the final version, so no problem here, but there were several commas which didn't belong there. *grin* Well, I've complained a bit to Capher in his previous chapter that he did too few commas and now I know where they all have gone;)

Just a few examples what I mean, and I guess our teacher Judith will confirm that there are too many commas in these sentences:

"The peasant, regarded, Ergoths apparent shock, with little interest."

"The plateau of open air, was an invitation to stay."

"Along the walls, candles melted away."

"He noticed that in her answer, she had already captured the apprehension in his voice."

Just wanted to point this out, Winlok. A bit fewer commas are quite ok;)  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 November 2001, 15:28:00 »

Comma's and Art don't get along. Either you have too many or too few.;)  

With deepest regards,Capher

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Winlok
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 November 2001, 16:45:00 »

"The peasant, regarded, Ergoths apparent shock, with little interest."

"The plateau of open air, was an invitation to stay."

"He noticed that in her answer, she had already captured the apprehension in his voice."

Just wanted to point this out, Winlok. A bit fewer commas are quite ok

You are absolutely correct. I purposely tried to cut down the amount of commas, as I did typos in the final copy. And that wyvern fiasco was a doozy, as you know, I still didn't get them all. There should be, in most cases, one comma per sentence, unless it's rather long. Here is the way the above should be. The above sentences with the exception of the first two, are okay. The third one should have been attached to another sentence, or else I messed up and gave you the wrong copy. I did little changes here and there, and possibly overlooked it. There should be at least a verb and a noun before every comma.

"The peasant regarded, Ergoths apparent shock with little interest."

"The plateau of open air was an invitation, to stay."

This is how it should look. . Along the walls candles melted away, and in some places built up into small neat piles.

The first one has been changed but I didn't change anymore. I'm afraid to look at chapter one again. It's probably riddled with to many commas. :lol  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 20 November 2001, 16:53:00 »

I've corrected everything in the uploaded version (this are just some examples), but I corrected the sentences this way:

"The peasant regarded Ergoth's apparent shock with little interest."

"The plateau of open air was an invitation to stay."

"He noticed that in her answer she had already captured the apprehension in his voice."

I guess there are no commans necessary in all these sentences. German usually is a language where punctuation is much more complicated than in English, but at these cases I wouldn't even do commas in German. Well, we need a teacher's word here - Judith?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 09 December 2001, 06:33:00 »

"The peasant regarded Ergoth's apparent shock with little interest."

"The plateau of open air was an invitation to stay."

"He noticed that in her answer she had already captured the apprehension in his voice."

Going only with the punctuation, and not with the styling or flavour of the sentences, the ideal would be as above.  

No commas are necessary in any of the sentences.  
However, an apostrophe for "Ergoth's" IS absolutely essential.  Commas separate complete thoughts, usually called 'phrases'.  They can be inserted to create a pause and slow down a spoken sentence, as in number three, which can contain a comma or not, at the writer's discretion.  

That official enough for you, Oh Great Sage? (smiles)

Bard Judith

"If you will listen to this lay but a little while now,
I will tell it at once as in town I have heard it told,
as it is fixed and fettered
in story brave and bold,
thus linked and truly lettered,
as was loved in this land of old."

J.R.R.Tolkien, 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight'

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 09 December 2001, 08:34:00 »

Yup, thanx Judith! So to summarize it all:

Capher: Do some more commas!
Winlok: Do some less!
Bard Judith: Do exactly the amount of commas you think appropriate;)  

Capher
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 December 2001, 11:53:00 »

:lol  :lol  Yes oh great sage. BTW do I send my chapters now to Bard for editing and integrating or do I send them to you still?

Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.Capher

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 09 December 2001, 14:24:00 »

Good question. Now that Bard Judith has finished her exams (from the other side that is) and got rid of vicious misspelling attacks she'll get assaults from the Santharian front, eh? - Well, don't know... I have to read the texts anyway before putting them up (and not always do everything right), but Judith is trained here...

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 10 December 2001, 04:03:00 »

Arrrrrghghgh!   Noooooh!  

I'm locked in my little study at the top of my extremely tall tower in the middle of the haunted woods with the guard wolves outside!  

And I'm enjoying a quiet hot cup of Ch'aa while flipping through old parchments and collected manuscripts, looking for (read 'composing') more information on the StoneFathers...

Possibly I shall even have time for a Doch-Nut-n-Koka-Chip  Cookie (recipe available upon request) and a look through my Herbarium sketches, ...

But I WON"T be available to correct punctuation errors!

(takes deep breath, calms down, smiles sweetly)
Regards from the Bard...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 10 December 2001, 04:24:00 »

:lol  :lol  :lol  Poor, poor teachers!

Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 December 2001, 21:04:00 »

Eh, if it's okay, I'll send my latest chapters to Art per norm? It's a habit I can't break...I like to torture him occasionally by making him read my stories :lol  This might fall under cruel and unusual punishments!

Capher
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 December 2001, 12:56:00 »

:lol  :lol  :lol  I don't think so Dala, at least you have your comma's in place. If reading your stories are cruel and inhuman punishment. Then reading mine must be hair pulling out and inquisition torture for Art. Maybe that is why he has gray hair and balding for such a young man? :lol  ;)  

Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.Capher

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 11 December 2001, 14:11:00 »

No prob, Dalá! In fact I enjoy to be tortured by your stories:)  

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1084
Latest: reatha16
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 119
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 121
Total: 121

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!