Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Questions, questions... to Dalá!  (Read 1536 times)
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« on: 23 December 2001, 10:20:00 »

Greetings oh mistress of Gossip, demon ducks and everhonoured writer of the Katya cycle, I need your help, and I  humbly ask for it.

I need some information concerning the status of Voldar during the dragonstorm. What was the city looking like during the Year of Darkness? I expect there was some sort of food shortage, as well most riding animals were probably used as food so horses were becoming rare. As well there'll probably a fuel shortage because a lot is burned to keep warm in the cold days.

Above are all just guessings, and I really like to hear if I'm close to the truth. Some other questions in general:
- Is it all right for Drafas and Gerwon to have (quasi/semi-evil) stepbrother? I need him for the story, but he would be located in Amalthea's residence as well, so I really need your approval.
- In which season the Year of Darkness began? Was it already cold (winter) or was it more kinda midsummer?
- Can I use Amalthea's character for a short appearance in the story? She needs to say goodbye to her "sons" after all before they leave to the south.

I eagerly await your reply, humbly yours...

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2001, 23:16:00 »

You're right, there was a desperate shortage of food during the Atonement year because no grain or vegetables or whatever farming stuff could grow without sun. The harvests all failed. Livestock quickly perished as there was no grain to feed them and from the cold if unprotected. Thousands of pple died from starvation and malnutrition. But the tolls would have been worse if Jenefra, then Sovereign of the Erpheronians, had not decided to ration out dried food stock from her fortress. But even that was still not enough, throes of refugees arrived at the gates of Voldar daily and there were too many mouths to feed. The normal poultry like chickens, goats, sheeps were slaughtered quickly by hungry masses during the first few months for food and when these animals were but a few left, gradually the sight of stray dogs and cats became rare within the city as desperate peasants caught them for food and finally even rats to eat.

Due to the amount of people, living conditions became very crapped and many buildings had been destroyed during the dragon siege on Voldar previously so shelter was scarce for these refugees who came to the city, hoping to find work or food and usually failed. Diseases and sickness was rampant among the slum parts and unscrupulous healers and priests and clerics charged exhorbitant prices for so-called cures in the form of a bottle of sugared water or a useless amulet.

For the nobility, they fared a little better as they had money to buy food from the black market and resources to keep livestock for breeding. But most were not willing to share these with the common people of the city. For the poorer gentility, they killed their horses eventually and ate them when they had no choice. Amalthea was one of the who tried to alleviate the situation by actively persecuting those rogue healers, clerics and forcing her peers to take a more active stance in helping the people during the Atonement year.

Towards the end months of the Year of Darkness as the dragons died by the droves, rumors arose that some profiteers were selling dragon meat on the black market for those who could afford it.

Fuel shortage is highly likely. I haven't delve deeply into that as I was more preoccupied with the food crisis so feel free to elaborate on the fuel problem if you like, Gean.

Excerpt from Chapter 4 of the Katya Chronicles (I'm quoting from myself, haha! Weird!)

//During the past Aér'ai'chanían year, the freezing temperatures were but one element that they had to battle constantly against. The crops failing and animals dying because of the lack of sunlight were the other evils that plagued them as well. Everyone’s faces, the nobility and peasants alike, were gaunt with the shadow of starvation and if it hadn’t been for Jenefra’s decision to mete out rations to the populace from the stronghold’s reserves of food, the death toll would have been much higher. As it was, almost one-third of the tribe had died from the cold, varying illnesses and famine. As the sunless months passed, more and more of the remaining Epheronians who survived the Dragonstorm traveled across the territories to gather in the capital of Voldar until the streets were brimming with refugees and the stench of a city with too many people crammed into it lingered constantly in the air//

As for a stepbrother for Drafas and Gerwon, shouldn't be a problem. Have you decided on how to work in this stepbrother? If not, I have a suggestion if you agree, you can use Amalthea's husband if you like. She was married to Lord Timas Orcal who died during the Red Plague. So it wouldn't be inconceivable if Timas had a close relative, say an only sister or a brother, who also died during the plague and left a son, and so Amalthea would have adopted her husband's nephew as her own. Hence, all three boys could be raised together as brothers in her house. Workable??

Oh and yes, feel free to borrow Amalthea for a guest appearance, I would be honoured if you did!

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 December 2001, 02:04:00 »

Excellent!
This was all exactly what I needed to hear, many thanks already! Maybe now I can finally start to write, this story is hunting my mind for months already, and it needs to be written down.

I'll try and keep all entries you made on Voldar and its important persona next to me, so that I don't make any contradictions with your previous work. Only the first chapter will play in the city, still, it will be an important one, so not wanting to make any major errors right when starting of.

Perfect idea on the "third son" as  well...
 *runs off to read all background information and get started again.*

Now if only my knowledge of the English tongue cooperates...

edit: one question, I've forgotten to ask: did the dragons still attack after the darkness began, or did they immediately return to their lairs?

Edited by: Gean Firefeet at: 12/24/01 7:07:38 pm

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2001, 03:16:00 »

The dragons retreated back after Katya wounded Ol'dem'brey, the adamant-dragon who led the siege on Voldar. Because of it's injury, the other dragons delayed their next attack on the capital but within a few days, Jenefra sanctioned the priests to plead with the God Foiros for deliverance against the dragons and the Atonement begun almost immediately. As Ol'dem'brey was still recuperating from the wound when the Atonement happened, no dragons laid another attack on Voldar and by then it was too late, the coldness had come and the end of the age of dragons had begun.

Glad to be of help, makes me feel useful :)  I like Amalthea too, she's cool, wish I had her strength of will and acerbic wit :lol  

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 337
Online Ever: 562
(Yesterday at 02:54:50)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 226
Total: 226

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)