Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Collected Sayings and Proverbs  (Read 11915 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« on: 07 October 2001, 08:22:00 »

Disguised as a humble strolling minstrel, Bard Judith has gone out among the people of Santharia and listened to their tales, stories, and sayings.  In the process she has collected a great number of folktales that will someday come to light.... but for now she offers a small collection of everyday expressions of Santharia, selected from a variety of races.

Enjoy!
--------------------------------------------------
PROVERBS AND SAYINGS OF SANTHARIA

Every fruit has a stone, as the plainsfolk say. (Barbarian proverb about mixed blessings)

As well heel wolves.... (used with a comparative phrase to suggest futility, for example, ‘As well heel wolves as argue with that woman in one of her moods!’)

You can always add more salt to the stew, but only the Gods can take it out. (Midland peasants’ expression, meaning, ‘don’t hurry to make changes’)

Dwarves to their caverns and elves to their trees.  (Popular among the city nobles, meaning, ‘to each their own’)

One man’s Brownie is another man’s stew.  (Unfortunate legacy of a time in human history.  Said to have been coined by Zlothig the Brutal, one-time plains warlord.  Now used ironically to warn others of racist or exclusionary language!)

Tide change, heart change!  (translated from Mermish.  Used when speaking about decisions and promises , which merfolk take lightly.)

Water is soft, but it wears away stone.  (Sailors’ saying, on the virtue of persistence)

As the seed is formed in Ava’s Dream, so the tree grows in Ava’s Light.  (Elven, on the inevitability of human nature)

Man good when dead.  (Orcish.  How this proverb was obtained and translated we are not certain.  Possibly originally  a Human fabrication, but it since has passed into common lore.)

When the wind is in the east, Grotor blows for man and beast,
When the wind is in the west, Iasha will sing the best.
When the wind is from the south, Neter opens then his mouth,
When the wind is from the north,  let no farmer issue forth.

(An Ashmarian farmer’s chant, naming the spirits of the winds.  Note the variation on gods’ names, associated with three of the winds. Although ordinary air movements on the surface of Santharia are called ‘wind’, most people do not confuse them with the High Winds or the Darkwinds!  Here obviously some local folk beliefs have corrupted orthodox doctrine.)

Spring sap rises, autumn leaves fall.  (Elven, meaning ‘life always moves from one stage to another.’

Gold in the ground is rock still.  (Dwarvish equivalent of ‘a bird in the hand’.)          

A wrinkled apple tastes the sweeter.  (Peasant saying, on the benefits of experience)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Winlok
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2001, 14:08:00 »

Quote:
Human expression:
                             fruits of labor are received by tillers of the soil

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2001, 13:35:00 »

And Bard Judith strikes again! How lucky we are to have you here:)  Thanx for another treasure to dig in!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2001, 01:27:00 »

I guess it would be good for everyone else to make additions? Idea looks excellent... no idea if I have enough inspiration left to make up any, but I'll give it a try.

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2001, 18:50:00 »

Sounds good. I'll try to come up with a few sayings of my own for Corloth.

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2001, 07:47:00 »

Drogo actually wrote some Barbarian-flavoured sayings as a jest, back in the Introductions section, if I remember aright...

Perhaps we could select or adapt some of them and add them into our collection?

Stuff like:

Queypur hath no fury like a scorned Barbarian woman

and so on.

Could be usable (grin) if we ever get Drogo back...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2001, 13:14:00 »

Yeah, finding proverbs (or curses also, e.g. "By the Steps of Colthoi!" reminding of the infinite, blood-soaked stairs at the Temple of Ma'asherom) sounds like an interesting and funny sport! Will put up the first results we have already on the site next update (hope the menu changes don't require all of my time, though).

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2001, 07:16:00 »

"Falls and fells!”  (expletive)

“Between the pickaxe and the rockface...” (difficult situation)

“Not for all the gold in Gerimthur!” (a famous mine)

“He who hews not eats not.” (on the virtue of work)

“Discussion gathers no gems.”  (ditto)

“An elf’s tongue will talk the Timelight round.”

“The shedwarf at the hearth and the hedwarf at the face; thus swings the world in balance.”  

(work is gender-specific in Thergerim culture, but not assigned arbitrary values as it might be in many human cultures.  Both mining and food preparation are seen as essential to support life, and dwarf society does not discriminate between the sexes. Tol-Baroll is, you will remember, God of Forges and Earthworks but also God of Hearths and Cooking...  Rulers, religious leaders, teachers, and so on are drawn equally from both genders.  )

"Pitdamp!" ( expletive, drawn from a mining term.  Dangerous gasses often build up underground, and can explode in the present of open flame...)

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 October 2001, 08:44:00 »

Very good ;) ;)  

With deepest regards,Capher

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 21 October 2001, 09:21:00 »

I've used some proverbs/saying/curses already in my Avaesthoría chapters. Should dig them out and update the entry with them, I guess.

Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 October 2001, 16:29:00 »

If you go to the Dune Mouse there are two sayings that can be added to our list.  They are in the Myth section of its description.  Just thought I would let you know.

If you think the sky's the limit, then you have no imagination.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 25 October 2001, 20:29:00 »

Well, I guess a bard is indeed the most logical person to go running round our virtual Santharia collecting these sayings, so....

I volunteer to search the site and pull what we've currently got (from Drogo, Art, Thuja...anyone else?) together.  I'll edit some of Drogo's coz he wrote them extremely tongue-in-cheek (grin) and start a collation of proverbs.

Should we include a separate "Proverbs and Sayings of the ____(race name) for each race in the Compendium, or put them under their own separate Compendium Title and then sort by race within that?

Regards from the Bard

Bard Judith

"If you will listen to this lay but a little while now,
I will tell it at once as in town I have heard it told,
as it is fixed and fettered
in story brave and bold,
thus linked and truly lettered,
as was loved in this land of old."

J.R.R.Tolkien, 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight'

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 October 2001, 02:41:00 »

"As trusthworthy as a human" (Mullog:very unreliable)

"As nice as an Imp" (Very mean)

"You might as well harvest Krakenweed with bare hands" (Mullog: What you're doing is incredibly stupid)

"To talk like an Elf" (Troll: Talking very fast and difficult)

Okay, no more inspiration. See what you can do with these. (I like the Troll's saying)

Theodorus

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 26 October 2001, 12:54:00 »

This work would be appreciated, Judith:)  Well, I propose to at least mention the origin of the proverb/saying (if applicable), but I tend to put it all in one table and one entry. You then could look it up alphabetically and see - ah! that's a dwarven proverb, e.g.

Ralhag Silverskin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 November 2001, 12:02:00 »

Can I say just one?

"It'll not be my head on the block."  (Human, it means, I won't be the one that gets in trouble.")

Thx

At yer service,

Ralhag

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[21 September 2019, 20:08:43]

[17 September 2019, 22:01:36]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1087
Latest: aimeusdietger
Stats
Total Posts: 144685
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 85
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 84
Total: 84

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!