Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sayings of Dygan Heartswind  (Read 3371 times)
Eskon

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 27 January 2002, 20:10:00 »

I am finished exams and about halfway done with Chapter 1: A Single Step. Here's how the format of the story will work:

Text is in third person past tense.

At the beginning of each chapter, and at the appropriate moments, there will be quotes from Dygan about the current moment. Times like that include leaving the small village of Tereftan and discovering his real last name. Anyways, since he was known also as a speaker of some fine philosophical sayings, I had some insight and began writing them down for comments from you guys. If there's anything you feel you might want to say about any of these at all, feel free. By no means is this a finished list, so expect updates if I get the wisdom back into my system.

Just keep this in mind: Commentary about the current moment will tend to be a couple of sentences, not a short quote like some of these.

“A man who never acknowledges his failures becomes one.”
-Humility

“Greatness at the expense of others is not greatness.”
-Fame

“Heroes are not the ones who slay foul beasts. As I proved, any man with a sword can do so. Heroes are those who protect the ones they care for, no matter the cost to themselves. I could not protect anyone. I am no hero.”
-Heroics (actually spoken in the story)

“For a man to be a leader, his people must have faith in him. For people to have faith in a leader, he must prove he is worthy of it. To prove that he is worthy, he must have faith in himself to do so.”
-Leadership

“A driving force behind many of the events that happened to me was my cowardice. I ran from the day my journey began. I ran from my foster mother because I felt I couldn’t face her. I ran from my quest because I couldn’t deal with being responsible for the deaths of my friends. I ran from Nyermersys because I couldn’t accept my own death when I had my own demons to conquer. Running from battle is not cowardly, but running from your self is.”
-Running away

“In spite of my cowardice, I strived on in many dark times. I do not give credit to myself; I give it to heroes past. Their deeds were an inspiration to me; they gave me the flicker of hope I needed to put my next step in the right direction. To all past heroes who meant so much to me, thank you for your actions.”
-Past heroes

“Which step is most important in a journey? Is it the step you take first, the one that defines where you begin, or the step you take last, the one that defines where you end? I believe it is the step you take currently, the one that defines where you are. For it is in that step that you have control over.”
-Journeys

“I felt angry at my foster mother and father for lying to me all those years. Then that anger moved toward myself when I realized she took me into her home when I had none. I had no right to conduct myself as I did, and I was too ashamed to even apologize to her in person.”
-Feelings toward his foster mother

“It was a terrible trip, my first journey to Voldar. It was in the middle of winter, and I had little knowledge of how to survive in the outside world. My days were long, and my pace was slowed due to the snow. My nights were spent with little sleep, and sleep I did find was light. I felt that if I fell asleep, some beast would devour me as I rested. Journeys alone are almost always harsh, and mine was doubly worse, because of my self-torture.”
-Departure from Tereftan

“When I first saw it, I thought that it was such a large city. Voldar was so crowded and too many things happened at one time. Yet at the same time, I saw the archaic beauty in the structures themselves, and the history that the oldest buildings could tell. Voldar, the city of heroes; Voldar, the city of honor; Voldar, the city that was my home.”
-First impressions of Voldar.

“My heart was lightened slightly when I learned of my true self. I was Dygan Heartswind, orphan of the Heartswind family. The Heartswinds were a small noble family of no real importance, with only one surviving member, myself excluded. Perhaps it was my own arrogance or the pride of having a family, but from that moment onward, I bore the Heartswind coat of arms upon my cloak, forever identifying myself.”
-Feelings about learning his real name

“It was she who saved me. She tore me out of my web of self-pity. I repaid her with harsh words that led to her death. Why did I do such a thing? She was able to reach me, to give me kindness, and I repaid her with hate. The defeat of any beast cannot be a great accomplishment when it stemmed from what I did to her.”
-Death of Lyla

“To me, it appeared much more than it actually was. That demon embodied all my fears. My mind raced through everything I had done up to that point. In that one moment, in the dark center of Oshtemangar, I felt a fabulous power flowing through my veins. In the following battle, everything I did was perfect. Every slash and thrust, every artful dodge and parry was utterly flawless. That was how I bested Coór'Mélor’s monsters, but the victory there was hollow. I saw things there that burned in my mind when I awoke outside that dark tower, and they burn in my mind still.”
-Victory and Defeat in Oshtemangar

“The elven captain had finished loading the ship. We were beaten too badly, and we had to retreat across the sea. Tree Whispers and I heard the screams in the city. As wise as he was, he told me that this was a dilemma where there was no clear solution. Even though I was under his command, some inner force compelled me to walk down the gangplank, and he understood. From the dock, I saluted him and he returned it as the ship carrying the armies started to pull away. That was the last I ever saw of noble Tree Whispers, the elven captain, and one of my closest friends.”
-Last meeting with Phaeron'Ephtaerin

“In a sense, the only noble thing I ever did was fly from that city, shielding the young lady with my own body as we both made our escape by horseback until we found the remaining troops left behind. It was the one time I put myself in harm’s way for another. It was that one deed that showed me that I could become a hero.”
-Dygan Heartswind, on his flight from Carmalad

“I shall ride to that hill, and look back for a moment. My horse shall rear, and then I shall depart. I will not see this land again until I have finished my quest,”
-Dygan Heartswind, last words

Again, I'm hoping that Chapter 1 will be out soon for you guys to look at, revise, and whatnot. Until then, try to piece what will happen given these sayings.

Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2002, 21:48:00 »

I'm glad you've decided to join us, Eskon! We'd be without this excellent installment of tragic heroics otherwise. By the way, have you considered my idea about Lyla being one of the Kasumarii?

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Arcana, Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride
Owner of the longest sig in Santharia

Eskon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2002, 22:22:00 »

Considered, yes.

Leaning, maybe.

Decided, no.

I still have much work to do just to write him out of Tereftan. He's still got to travel to Voldar, meet the last remaining person of his family, find companions, and then I can consider his beautiful female sidekick...

BTW Xarl, is Kru'uan and the Kasumarii up yet?

Needless to say, I'll try not to disappoint you guys.

Eskon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2002, 22:37:00 »

I have not decided on what Lyla will be, not that I don't want her to be one of the Kasumarii. I don't want to shoot down your idea unless I'm absolutely sure that it couldn't fit into the storyline.

I get in trouble a lot from misinterpretation, so I try to make everything clear, and when I don't (like now), I fix it.

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2002, 10:57:00 »

Eskon, from what I've read you have a tremendous talent. I could see the story unfold before my very eyes as I read your main characters viewpoint. Keep the story in the first person though, it will give more realism and keep in line with his observations.

I look forward to reading the complete story very very much!!!

Capher, Tribes and Races Supervisor Moderator.Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2002, 16:46:00 »

No offense taken at all, Eskon! As is, her being one may conflict with the story's image. And the Kasumarii should be done this week, as I've temporarily finished work on Ximax.

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Arcana, Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride
Owner of the longest sig in Santharia

Eskon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2002, 20:56:00 »

Thanks for your suggestion. I can see where you are coming from, but I was sort of doing it in this format for a reason. I present the facts in third-person, and then from first person, I give Dygan's viewpoint. People can compare their viewpoint with Dygan, (You stupid idiot, your mom will understand!), and gather insights about Dygan's character and his character development from normal youth to tragic hero. I also would have to 'color the facts' a little if I put it in first person view. Since he views everything he does except saving the girl from Carmalad as a great failure, I couldn't focus on everything neutrally. The deaths of Flisgard (dad) and Lyla would take priority over the Battle of the Four Swords and his flight from Nyermersys.

But if I could do it, I'd already be a little ahead.

Capher
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 January 2002, 14:25:00 »

Ah, I understand. The problem with jumping from one viewpoint to another is that most readers get confused when going from one viewpoint to another, and only a very few writers that I have ever read could jump from one viewpoint to another without confusing the reader and they were masters at the craft.

If you talk to any writer or teacher of creative writing they will always tell you that you should always stick to one viewpoint.

Just my two cents worth.

Capher, Tribes and Races Supervisor Moderator.Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 January 2002, 23:14:00 »

Either that, or label the different viewpoints like David Brin does in his Uplift series.

Brownie Expert

Capher
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 January 2002, 11:12:00 »

Never read the "Uplift" series, Grey, is it good?

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 January 2002, 21:07:00 »

One of my favorites ;)

Brownie Expert

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]