Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Siege of Milkengrad  (Read 3239 times)
Tarquet Galbar

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 08 January 2002, 23:14:00 »

Eleventh Day, Month of the Changing Winds, 1031CC *Day 1*
--------
My name is Jake Kenda Manose, and this is my first journal entry. I signed up for the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries some months ago, but only now am I in danger for my life, so I have started this journal.

I'm stationed with the third company, under the command of Second Argent Johan Heigar, also known as the Double Blades. I've been trained in the style of the near legendary sword master Harneth Ag-Sha, who started the Double Blades. We, of course, fight with two swords at once.

That is for those who are not familiar with the structure of the Mercenaries. Now, back to the mission. We are under the employ of Stratanaria, who is currently part of the Alliance of the Red, to help besiege Milkengrad. Our regiment, which is made of several companies, has captured the fort of Apotropaeon, or Blowcrusher, at the Golden Bridge. Even as I write this others of the Alliance are capturing forts off of the main island, getting ready for hte final strike. However, our superiors are uneasy as they think some Milkengradians are hiding out  near the fort waiting to attack.

I hear the dinner bell, so I shall be departing now.
*Several ink splotches* Jake.

Twelfth Day, Month of the Changing Winds, 1031CC *Day 2*
--------
It turns out that wasn't the dinner bell, but a warning bell. They attacked us and we lost several people, but the battle was easily won from our position in the fort. I killed my first man, too.

The Double Blades were sent out through the gate after the first wave of attackers were taken down by archers. I deflected a blow with my right-hand sword then slit the man's throat with my left. I watched his eyes widen, his sword drop to the ground, followed by his body.

Perhaps I wasn't ready for this. But it's too late now. I feel the fighting blood in my veins, now. Now I also know one thing: We shall win this fight, and Milkengrad shall be sorry for attacking Stratanaria.

It's my shift for gaurd duty now, so I shall leave. Until tommorow.
Jake.

Fifteenth Day, Month of the Changing Winds, 1031CC *Day 5*
--------
This morning at the mandatory inspection the Regiment Commander came out to report some news. "Soldiers of the 2nd Regiment of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenary Army, I recieved some good news. Late last night a letter arrived for me from Lecam Turpotaker, the pirate leader of the Stratanarian forces. It said that we shoulde be glad, for the Alliance of the Red has taken the forts of Esperoth, Turacanth, and Pelasgarth. This means that the Alliance, and us in turn by employment, now control all Milkengradian forts off of the main island."

He went on talking about how we should be expecting reinforcements from 1st Regiment because of the possibility of attacks from Helcrah. Along with the regiment the Master General is sending High General Markus Kale, a master strategist.

Hopefully this means that our position will be secure for however long this seige will take. As soon as the new regiment and the High General arrive we should be very capable of holding Blowcrusher against most attacks.

Time for my shift.
Jake.

Nineteenth Day, Month of the Changing Winds, 1031CC *Day 9*
--------
Our makeshift gaurdhouse that we built on the Milkengrad end of the Golden bridge was attacked. Around midnight a fire was started in the stables next to the gaurdhouse, killing all of the horses. The fire spread, and while the soldiers were busy putting it out they were set upon by the enemy.

Thirty and nine souls were lost, and the gaurdhouse destroyed. This may be a bit of a setback, as now we won't have anyone to alert us of approaching forces. Though, if they didn't notice the enemy then, I'm not sure they would have any other time.

But, no matter, those are the ways of war. We will avenge the deaths they caused threefold or more. When the siege is over, they shall see us the victor and be sorry.

I must rest,
Jake

Twenteeth Day, Month of the Changing Winds, 1031CC *Day 10*
------
Despite the minor setbacks, the siege is going splendidly. We have a lot of free time now, as all supplies have been cut off to Milkengrad and we here they are retreating to a few of their cities where they have food stores built up.

I met a serving girl from the kitchen. She volunteered to help out in the kitchen for this important mission and came along. She's just reach her eighteenth year and is a real beauty, named Jezra. Hopefully this will give me something to do during the boring times that this siege is sure to bring.

Personally, I think we should just rush them all and slaughter the whole lot. Then burn everything and scatter the ashes. Maybe have the wizards or clerics cook something up to make the land barren. Wipe Milkengrad off the map forever.

Perhaps that sounds a bit cruel, but I learned something this morning. My brother was among the casualities of the attack at the gaurdhouse. The last of the survivors arrived and he was not among them. Though I didn't mention it I was deeply worried about him. Mother is going to be very sad.

I feel it's somewhat my fault. He's my younger brother and I should have gone with him, to take care of him. Now not only shall I get vengeance for my fallen comrades, but tenfold for my brother.

Jezra calls,
Jake

Twenty-second Day, Month of the Changing Winds, 1031CC *Day 12*
-----
The reinforcements are too late. The Helcrani came from the south-east, from Helcrah. The people of the Fores mountains marched all the way here, ready for battle. They are well trained and vicious, but we had Blow Crusher. If we had been against them on an equal field of battle I doubt we would have triumphed, but we had a fort.

There weren't a lot of them, no doubt they split up to go after some other forts. That made it easier. We lost 19 men in that battle, but they lost far more. We didn't count, but we killed every last attacker. They were all piled up and burned in a great pyre. It's still burning.

The battle took all of 14 hours, begining just before sunrise, ending an hour or two after sunset. I'm surprised, actually. I would have though we'd still be fighting, or at least still gathering bodies. But we aren't.

I keep saying 'we'. It's amazing how quickly I've accepted all of these people as family. People have died, yes, but this siege has brought us all together. I'm starting to feel that what it says on our flag is right. 'We are Family. We are the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries. We will prevail.'

We're going to celebrate,
Jake

Thirteeth Day, Month of the Changing Winds, 1031 CC *Day 20*
-----
Tomorrow begins a new month. I've been away from my family only 20 days, not even a month. Already my brother is dead. But otherwise things are well. We are all optimistic and believe the siege will be over in a month or less. At least before the Month of the Singing Bird is over. Our commanders share our hopefulness.

The reinforcements are supposed to arrive in 10 days, just shy of one month after this siege began. Most think it's a bit too late and they won't need to stay long, but at least they'll bring fresh rations for the march home. A lot of people are happy that we get to return home so quickly. Personally, I would have liked to see more battle. Me and the Double Blades didn't even get to fight against the Helcrani, it was all the archery company. Disappointing.

Still alive, though. Guess I should be happy about that. But I must still avenge my brother, and all of my other fallen comrades. The Helcrani and Milkengradians will pay. They will beg for mercy. None shall be given, but the begging will still be amusing none the less.

I promised Jezra I'd have dinner with her,
Jake
----
Alright, the entry said it ended Burning Heavens 13, according to the calender entry that's July, so I counted back 93 days and did that month and day. And since the SC starts at 1648 CC, and in the history the Fall of Milkengrad is 617 s.b., I just counted back 617 years from 1648.

Can anyone confirm those two things, or should I just go with what I got?

Tarquet Galbar, BeastMaster Of Santharia, He Who Rules The Animals.

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 3/21/02 10:28:43 pm
Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2002, 03:18:00 »

**applauds**
very realistic. I like muchly. More soon please....

Brownie Expert

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2002, 21:03:00 »

Thanks Greybark!

This was mostly to test my sig, which doesn't seem to be working right.

Weavers. Rick Murphy of the Santharian Team

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 1/9/02 3:04:15 am
Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2002, 10:26:00 »

Hmm... I like it too, just a suggestion though, make sure you have dates, places, that are already in the history described accurately and try not to malign others work, especially on Milkengrad.

Otherwise looking forward to the rest of the journal.

Capher, Tribes and Races Supervisor Moderator.Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2002, 18:38:00 »

I'm trying to keep it as close to existing material as possible, Capher. But if I make a slip anywhere, all of you feel free to point it out.

PS - Capher, could you check into the Magic forum (General Entry). I need your opinion on how I handled Dragon Magic in the new system.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 1/11/02 1:20:58 am
Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2002, 11:51:00 »

Will do.

Capher, Tribes and Races Supervisor Moderator.Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2002, 20:00:00 »

One thing I really like about this is its *subjective*. You're looking at events solely from one person's point of view, and have to figure out what is happening, rather then the detached godview that is generally used.

Brownie Expert

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2002, 00:48:00 »

Thanks, Greybark, glad you're enjoying it!

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2002, 09:09:00 »

*DunDunDun* Iiiiiit's Baaaaack!!!!!

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 March 2002, 17:39:00 »

Tarq, I like the way you wrote it.  I have to agree with Greybarks views upon the piece.  One quick question though, would he really end every entry with his name?

Drogo Lord of the North and Places Supervisor May Helvet bring courage to your blade, and Teimor grant death to your enemies

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 March 2002, 18:58:00 »

Yup. The first thing his parents taught him when he got his week's leave after basic training was how to write a proper letter so he could write home when he went off to war. Of course, when he realized that there was no way to get letters back home, he decided to write a journal. Of course he only knew how to write letter style really, so that's what he does, signs each entry.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2002, 04:03:00 »

ah I see thanks.  Perhaps he writes the journal in hopes that during times of leave he could show it to his parents or send them parts of it when he gets a chance?

Drogo Lord of the North and Places Supervisor May Helvet bring courage to your blade, and Teimor grant death to your enemies

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2002, 11:51:00 »

Signing a journal entry is not uncommon I guess. It is similar to chronicles (though much smaller) and it might be important to mark who wrote what. Perhaps reports in guard books (who entered the gates when and such)  every entry is signed and so he just copied this style.

Maybe you can add one or two exceptions where someone else wrote something for him(because he is ill, injured or on a dangerous scouting mission,...)?

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster ;)--

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 March 2002, 15:57:00 »

I don't know if he'd let anyone know he even had a journal, much less having them write in it. It's private, ya know? If he's injured or sick or something then there will just be a longer time between entries.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]