Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Spring Poem of Rejoice  (Read 3653 times)
Amuwen

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 30 December 2002, 18:31:00 »

Spring has come!
Spring has come!
Listen as the bird rejoices
Spring has come!
Spring has come!
Let 's upraise our voices!
Let 's thank the mighty Jeyriall
and praise the glorious goddess
For all new life she gives to us
We'll sing her praise in chorus
Spring has come!
Spring has come!
Lift your hands and join us
Spring has Come!
Spring has Come!
Let's upraise our voices
We thank the beautiful Jeyriall
and praise the bountiful goddess
For everything she gives to us
We sing her praise in chrous

Edited by: Amuwen at: 12/30/02 11:22:11 pm
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2002, 03:17:00 »

Gah! You're too much like me.. >_<; I did a Harvest Tune not too long ago.

It's a little short for the repetition you use, IMO. I would suggest you expand upon it. Adopt some sort of format and create a few more stanzas. I really wouldn't suggest using Jeyriall. Yes, she is kind of like the Goddess of Life, but she's more conected to the Harvest and things of autmn. Her month is in autumn. If you look in the cosmology section you can find out when the God's months are.

Try to add more decription. I'm big on decriptiveness. ^_^; Paint vivid pictures and give us reason. Why is Spring worth celebrating? Why should we lift our voices and thank the gods? Expand on the reason of flower and new birth.

It would be really neat if you could create a poem that had the same form as mine but decribed Spring instead of autumn. It might be difficult to suddenly adopt the new form.

Hn.. That might be an idea for me if I can ever get my muse back..

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2002, 10:45:00 »

A very nice start, Amuwen! I really saw some kids jumping and singing.

There are some minor things which you might like to change. The rhythm is still a bit bumpy, but it is up to you.

A try:

Spring has come!
Spring has come!
Listen as the bird rejoices
Spring has come!
Spring has come!
Let 's upraise our voices!
Let 's thank the mighty(friendly..) Jeyriall
and praise the friendly(...anything what fits)goddess
for life all new she gives.
For she has filled the barren earth
With brightest flowers and new birth

Well, just a try, you may work on :-)

I agree with Rayne, that it would be nice, iif that is just the first of several Stancas, a song to sing needs more of them, you might give some examples for her giving, wht she lets grow.

In contrary to Rayne I think that Jeryiall, though most times seen as goddess of the harvest, is nevertheless the one responsible for the grow and the spring as well. We have no other.
I quote some sentences out of Judiths Goddess entry

Quote:
Goddess who breathed life into the created earth and its occupants. Jeyriall, as can be seen from her many names, is the Goddess of Growth and Increase
Obviously the eighth month (Sleeping Dreameress) of the Santharian Calendar is sacred to Jeyriall, and the entire harvest season cannot be gotten through without constant awareness of her presence and involvement. See notes above. However, in the third and fourth months (Ploughin and Seeddown to the peasants, Awakening Earth and Changing Winds respectively to the nobles) there are also two days set apart for her observances. The eighth day of the third month is generally considered an auspicious time to break the ground (may be later in some more northward regions) and is called Frostturn Day. Plowblades, shovels, axes, and other bladed implements undergo a rather suggestive ritual in which they are ceremoniously greased with fresh butter in before being sunk into the earth.

Have fun!

***Astropic of the day***

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 12/30/02 10:45:55 pm

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Amuwen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2002, 13:41:00 »

I was worried about Jeyriall not quite fitting too but I noticed that it said she was responsible for breathing life into the earth. It definitely feels bumpy and unfinished yet, but that can be fixed with some extra thought.

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2002, 17:25:00 »

so busy!
wow!
Rayne's got a Rival indeedies!

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Amuwen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2002, 17:28:00 »

I sang it to myself to get the rythem going. It made me think of children all dancing in a big circle laughing and singing together. Are there any spring festivals that this could be used at? It has just that kind of a festive feel to it.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2002, 21:19:00 »

Well, obviously the second of the Jeyriallene days, in the fourth month!.  I don't think I actually chose a date or name for that one... so....

Why don't you pick a date, give it a name, and describe the festival?  Your song is one of the many celebratory tunes that are sung at such a festival...and the fresh spring herbs can be picked and prepared, special candies made, and certain games and dances played.    Would make a great entry, and a nice addition to our slowly-growing Master Calendar...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Amuwen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 January 2003, 14:41:00 »

Well, actually you have named and dated the Festival in the fourth month. It's called Mód'estár or “Earth-Giant” and it's on the eighth day of the fourth month. But if you like I can still do up a page on the details of the Festival. I would use the details you already have on the day and elaborate and add to them.  

Amuwen
May your heart float softly upon the breeze and the wind guide your path.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 January 2003, 16:55:00 »

I'd be happy to help if its needed. Now that all my domestic Cat entries are done, I'm running out of things to do! ^_^'

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Amuwen

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 January 2003, 16:43:00 »

Actually, I do need some help, because I honestly just don't know where to begin. I've been stuck all week on the festival entry!

I do have one idea that I definitely would like to add to it. I was reading about Jeyriall and noticed that it said
Quote:
Cornplat is then hung on an exterior wall where it overlooks the household until next year’s planting, at which time it is taken down, burnt, and its ashes scattered on the newly broken ground.

I would like to integrate this so that the cornplat is burned in large bonfires at the second festival.

Amuwen

Edited by: Amuwen at: 1/3/03 10:47:27 pm
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 January 2003, 18:20:00 »

Because festivals have never been done before, it might be nice to discuss the Section that the information will be split into in the entry. For example, we would need to have the God or Gods that the festival represents, the date of the festival, maybe what sort of actions are done, what activities are practiced, who actually throws these festivals (Since some don't believe in Avá and her 12 gods and goddesses), etc, etc.

It also might be a good idea to run the idea by Arti to make sure he approves, and of course get the approval of Mommy-Judith. ^_^'

Amuwen

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 January 2003, 18:26:00 »

Ultimately I would put everything up for Bard Judith's aproval as she suggested that the festival entry be made, but yes we ought to ask Arti if it's ok too. Also, I was wondering which section to put this in too. What about Misc? Maybe Mistress Bard will have some answers for us as the Jeyriall entry was her creation. I'd be happy for any suggestions from her.

Amuwen

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 January 2003, 18:44:00 »

As would I. Depending, we might also put it in the religeons sections, but Misc seems likely, too. Either should be fine, I would think.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 04 January 2003, 22:28:00 »

Well, what *I'd* like to see would be a Festival format entry done, then a section for Festivals, Holidays and Celebrations under Calendars in the Compendium.

I think there is already a subsection for Holidays that should be filled out for each tribe/clan/racial group that is submitted, but eventually we should have a Master Santharian Calendar which runs from Icebreak 1st (or whatever it is) all the way to the end of the year, with notes for all races on each day.

Eg: (and I'm just making this up as I go along, to give you an example of how the Master might look....)

SPRINGUP 1:  RanThok - Dwarven observance of spring
                      Plough Time - human peasant earthbreaking ceremony
                      M'rkthraa begins - orcen fertility rites, for one week
SPRINGUP 2:
SPRINGUP 3:
SPRINGUP 4: Four Houses Day - celebrated in New Santhala
SPRINGUP 5: (or first new moon) So'oren - Elves chant songs of renewal and stay up all night

etc, etc.

See what I mean?  Then each holiday would be a hyperlink to the relevant entry, probably somewhere in the middle of the tribe/clan/race entry that celebrates it.  If it's a wide-spread observance, it can simply have its own entry under Festivals of Santharia or Holidays of Sorren or some such thing.

Whaddya think?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 January 2003, 01:45:00 »

Hn. Sounds like a lot of research, which I always enjoy. How would we format it, though. Should we do it as you've done it? (What's SPRINGUP?) Or should we have something like the name of the Months, then a listing of each day (1st, 2nd, 3rd. 4th day..) and notes about what occurs on that day?

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]