Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Avaesthoría Chapter III: Translation  (Read 7132 times)
Arancaytar Ilyaran

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #30 on: 17 August 2003, 02:59:00 »

I hope I'll be around to help along with the checking, but I have a lot to do over this weekend (school starts again on Monday:( ), and after that. Once school has started, I'll be around occasionally, but I probably won't get anything productive done.

On the bright side: That'll be my final year, so it's *over* after that!!:eek :D :D

I'll still be here this weekend though.;)  

Arancaytar Ilyaran

"When you start quoting yourself, it's a sure sign of senility" Arancaytar Ilyaran

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 17 August 2003, 04:32:00 »

You are a bad boy, Aran!

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Arancaytar Ilyaran

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 17 August 2003, 10:43:00 »

:lol

You sound like my mother, Talia!:rollin

But I suppose you hear that a lot around here, don't you?:p  

Arancaytar Ilyaran

"When you start quoting yourself, it's a sure sign of senility" Arancaytar Ilyaran

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 18 August 2003, 06:38:00 »

Ok, I've already prepared the whole chapter (and also reformated the other chapters on the site, which were still done in the design of the last millenium). I've only discovered very few things I had to change a bit this way and that, but in general the whole translation is very good and definitely was a lot of work - congratulations, Aran! I notice, however, that our Library section gets more and more chaotic the more stories, tales we have here, need to think of a redesign here as well sooner or later.

About the small problems: E.g. you used the word "monk" to translate "Kuttenträger" later in the text, which isn't correct, as they are no monks... "Cowl wearers" of course doesn't sound that good in English, but I currently also lack a proper alternative. But they are no monks, so I replaces these words with "cowl wearers".

The rest of the problems dealt with currency, beasts (as already mentioned in a previous post) and some unusal sentence constructions and a typo here and there, but that's about it;)

BTW: If you're bored, Aran, you can fill out the membership form and send it my way (if you have a photo you can attach that as well), then I can finally add you to the team, as you definitely deserve being on the list:D  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Arancaytar Ilyaran

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #34 on: 18 August 2003, 08:21:00 »

Yeah, well, I thought 'cowl wearer' sounded a bit clumsy to repeat so often throughout the text. When I eventually decided to put 'monk' instead, I already guessed you'd skin me for it.:p  Mut if they're no mages, no monks, no priests, what are they?

Btw, having read these chapters already a year ago - they were basically the first thing I read of this site when I found it - I'm baffled about this: Was Turcan a traitor, or was he just 'possessed' by something - will you clear that up in the chapters to come, because I can hardly await the sequel...

And to be completely honest:o , I didn't even look at that text for a month. And then I decided just to finish it up and translated about 7 pages in three days - mostly in the late evening. So I guess I slipped with the wording and sentence structure a few times, and I was too tired/lazy to thoroughly check it afterwards.

Membership info?:eek  Yaaayyy!:D  This is the day I've been waiting for since April 3rd.;)  Yes, I'll fill out that form when I next have some time, as currently I'm in some rush to get myself prepared for school again.

Arancaytar Ilyaran

Arancaytar Ilyaran

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #35 on: 18 August 2003, 13:01:00 »

Okay, I was just reading through the downloaded text you put up, and I noticed that you left in the ***, which I just intended as a placeholder for this nice curly line.;)  You might replace this again, because it looked really nice in the German version of the document.

Arancaytar Ilyaran

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #36 on: 18 August 2003, 14:09:00 »

Yeah... Nobody knows what these cowl wearers really are... That makes them so mysterious, eh? And do you really want to know everything already in advance? Wouldn't that take out the fun of it? Though more details will have to wait to be resolved for a looooong while, as I'm too busy to write because the site itself requires all the sparetime I have:rolleyes

And yes, the seperators can be changed perhaps, those from the previous chapters look lovely;)  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 August 2003, 16:28:00 »

Thankyou Aran for translating these chapters. They're very important for me to have.

But it also means that I have to go change things in my entries.

Do you think we could have chapter one next?

Anodd yw dwyn dyn oddiar ei dylwyth

Arancaytar Ilyaran

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 24 August 2003, 16:57:00 »

There *is* a German chapter marked One, but Arti said to work on Chapter III, and I think I remember him saying he was gonna rewrite Chapter I, or even change the whole structure, meaning that Chapters II and III will become I and II.

Chapter I is, basically, just a very gory battle scene foreshadowing where the plot is headed - It takes place in Hegedorn, and when I first came here and read that chapter, I thought 'Oh my, this guy literally has a bloody good imagination.':lol  

Before I can translate that one, Arti needs some time to finish it, and that might well take years, since he said he's too busy with updates at the moment.:

Hey guys, let's all stop writing entries so Arti can work on his book!:lol  Just joking!:rollin  

Arancaytar Ilyaran

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #39 on: 25 August 2003, 00:53:00 »

Ah yes, it's not decided yet whether to put this Hegedorn battle at the beginning of the book or somewhere in between. Also the battle itself I think is much too gory as you said, which I also don't like (especially not at Chapter I). However, I think the beginning and the end of the chapter (without the battle in the middle) are quite nice.

On the other hand: We also have this Thaelon chapter, which is not yet translated, but we already have the Euwen poem translated for that one:)  The bard's funny song however (guess that's in this chapter as well) would be another difficulty to translate perhaps:  

Arancaytar Ilyaran

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 25 August 2003, 01:49:00 »

Good thing 'bout Chapter IV is that there's about one page in quoted passages in the Euwen entry plus the poem. But the song about that Ogre (are there such, or does it need to be changed to a Troll?) would be hard to translate.

Once Judith is back, it'll be easy though. This poem does not even require the same poetic flowing style that the other one did, I daresay it'd be easier.;)  

Arancaytar Ilyaran

Edited by: Arancaytar Ilyaran at: 8/24/03 9:49
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 337
Online Ever: 562
(Yesterday at 02:54:50)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 196
Total: 196

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)