Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A stroll through the library II  (Read 1414 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« on: 10 January 2004, 07:50:00 »

I thought first it would be a good idea to show newcomers already now, how to use the "library", now I think, we put this at the end of the "stroll"

The next day finds you back in the great entrance hall, waiting with your fellow students for Sir Arthéos Federkiel. This time you notice approaching him.

„Good morning! I hope you have slept well, for today  I will show you were you find most of the books we have about races and tribes, a very important and very huge field of work.

But before that I will introduce you to our catalogue/register??   room. Sometimes I think, this is the most important room in the library, for you can find there the place your book of interest can be found, where you have to go to find a whole bunch of books, if you are interested in a specific theme.“

Sir Federkiel is going to a room nearby, not very big, but full with closets and lockers. Before you enter you are seeing  over the door  a  sign, grey in grey and written in it: The Santharian Dream.
You enter the room: A central corridor is leading through the room to another door, to the left and right side closets or lockers are placed, with various symbols on it.

„In this room and in the next, all books and important facts , you can find in the library, are registered here, for each book you find a card here with the title of the book and where you can find it.
Here“ he takes a small leaflet , „is explained very shortly what I try to tell you know a bit more thoroughly, I hope you will appreciate it!

Let us begin on the left side:

In this locker with the web cop you will find information of what is going on in the world of Caelereth, about awards, how you can order a pic from one of our artists, but  as well information of immediate interest for you: here you find again how to use the library. Just look inside it, open the door (click on the web cop), but please don‘t take any of the cards out right now (don‘t click on the menu itself).
The next few images or icons are self explaining, you see the horse head for beasts, the blue rose for plants , the orc head for races.“

Some students are furrowing their foreheads, some fidget(Unruhe?) arises and one human finally asks about the orcs head:

„Why do orcs represent the races and not elves or humans?“

Sir Arthéos looks back at his students, eyeing every single one.
„Well, why not an orc? I don‘t know, but I assume because the green colour looks great on the honey toned wood of the locker, don‘t you think so?“

After a few  - long stretching -  seconds of silence  Arthéos continues:
„Well, the head for peoples is obvious , the shield with the coat of arms is standing for places.
If you have a look in these closets later, you will find, that in some cases the books are listed twice, one time you can just look up the alphabetical order, if you search for a single book you know already, if you are interested in a special area and hope to find a book about it, you have to use the other part.

You find here as well papers who inform you about current discussions, ideas, which haven't found their way in the library yet, they are all labelled with FORUM.

Art, races and maps lack the alphabetical order, do you want to do it as well? The persons entry lacks a categorisation of people(in the order where they belong to, which tribe, region..), not everywhere is a link set to the forum

I want to point especially to the places locker - there you find the information, where the maps of Caelereth are stored in the library and can be looked at if required.“

Sir Arthéos doesn‘t give his students a rest, but continues immediately:
„On the right side it is the same, just there you find the gods, represented by the yellow disk, this lovely image of a sphere with a ring for cosmology - and please ask our Great Sage, why this icon found its way in here - the crossed swords for history - and yes, „ he doesn‘t allow an elven student intersect his flow of speech“ to my elven students, you might not agree with me, but our history is formed by wars and not peace times. The book stands for magic, please notice the sign on it, then you can remember it easily, the sack for miscellaneous things and the we come to the scroll! Open the locker, and you will find ALL books we have here in an alphabetical order.
Please, follow me now in the next room! “

There is again a sign over the door, in grey-beige as well, but smaller, it says „Swap Menus“. You follow Sir Arthéos in the next room, which looks quite similar to the last, five lockers on each side of the room, though no door opposite in this case. (Click on swap menus!!)

„Here it is the same,“ Sir Arthéos continues, „though many think, this room isn‘t as important as the first, this is not true. On the left side, the image of the chain stands for the team. There you can find information about those who bring the library to thrive, about our artists, administrators and much more... The next locker contains something special, magical I might say - moving pictures, but have a look for yourself later - later I said!

The next lockers are reserved for games, for the language section, for the perhaps most precious we have, the books who contains stories, myths, the library in the library, so to say....
This round disc on the other side here - I‘m too old for that kind of things, partly magical, partly not, sounds stored, can you imagine? Have a look at it later.

This closet is not of immediate interest  for you, you will need it, if you start to work on the compendium as well. The next, well, this coffer contains what my dear nephew calls ‚Treasures & Oddities‘, the next locker  leads you to  magical on as well - it contains the cards where you find recorded sounds!
And here we are coming to the last locker, a bit big for its  purpose, but well. If you want to contact our Great Sage Artimidor Federkiel, just write an letter and put it in here, he will get it immediately and as far as I know him, answer quickly.

So, now, we are nearly finished with this. A last , but important thing is left, our magnifying glass.
Please look over here at this magnifying glass. It is a magical device of great value. If you are searching for a special book, or looking for a certain tribe, anything, just write it down and put the glass over it. When looking through it, you will find, where you have to search in the library for that what you want. You can even add to your request, where you want to look, in the whole compendium, or just religion? An marvellous invention!

And now, have a look around, I will be back soon to bring you to races and tribes!

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 1/25/04 9:56

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2004, 16:02:00 »

I'll mark this as well for integration, will do nicely as the second installment of the Santharian walkthrough, though I still need to read it in detail. But Talia made the first part very cool, so this one won't have any major problems, I assume:)

Only think about which I'm getting a bit worried here now is: We have a navigation back/forward at the tour, and we split the walkthrough now into various sub-sections, and I'm not sure how we'll realize the navigation without confusing the reader. Put it all on one page (for now, until we have a blueprint of the rooms which we might use for navigation)? Make some sort of menu? Back/forward arrows?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2004, 03:56:00 »

Well, for now I've simply added this part to the current page as we don't have too many huge graphics with these additions except the navigation icons I've put in. But the more is added, the mor we need a navigational concept which is not too confusing...

Also: I've added the link to the Forum now as well in the Religion menu.

Categeorization of races, people etc. in treeview form would be nice to have, but costs an incredible amount of time and is - as usual - a lot of stylesheet mess. Right at the moment I simply don't have the time for it. I need to make progress as well with the RPG (scheduled for next week), continue with the Manthrian map, cosmology, need to serve as Places commenter, write new and old artist(s), wonder why the RPG Board administration still can't manage to stand on its own feet etc. Yeah, and I've only got two hands, and at the moment major menu re-designs just aren't in.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2004, 09:45:00 »

Don't overdo it Art. Uploading this second part would not have been so urgent, it is anyway the same as in the site navigation.
Unfortunately I can't help you with these things, but I think it is ok as it is now - it is not necessary for the visitors to know, where the "rooms" are, a blueprint as you called it. It is meant as guide what to read first for newbies, so that they don't get lost in the vast amount of things we have. That they find an overview and not have to look through all tribes ...and so on.

One thing however would come in handy, if you could realise it:
When reading the second part of this walkthrough or the site navigation , it would be great , if by clicking on the icon (races, flowers), the menue to the left could be seen, as if you have clicked on the icon itself on the top left. Especially with the walkthrough, the people are used to click on the books, now they click on the icons - however, if it is too difficult, maybe a hint (click that icon) would suffice as well ;)

Is working on the Nepris  RPG so urgent? When does Humangus come back?I know I have some unfinished work there as well, but would really like to have finally some time to work on the Shendar again.

Don't stress you too much - as I always tell you, without success ;)

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2004, 16:02:00 »

The icon clicking can be realized yup, this isn't really much of a problem, so I'll do that probably next weekend.

Nepris RPG: Well, Humangus should be back at the end of the year, but until then we need to have made substantial progress in various areas, at least we want to get it finished at some point. So I can't start early enough to pick up with things here and get another small quest done which adds to the overall picture. The Manthrian Map will be very useful for the game, and I've done the compass rose, but we need to get more rooms & quests done and connect storyline issues.

I'm in contact with Ralrok again since last week and he already did more fantasy related stuff for Santharia as well, which he'll convert to mp3 in the next days and send to me. He also has some ambience musics we could perhaps use and will try to work on some specific stuff soon (order from him: "Just keep bugging me!"). And we'll get some sounds from him soon as well as he promised. Well, we'll see.

Well, anyway. I'd like to keep the ball rolling...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]