Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: (Dhor) Chapter One: Of New Beginnings and Fresh Dawns  (Read 4917 times)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« on: 29 May 2004, 13:23:00 »

Update JULY 20: I need a new name for the chapter.

------
Okay, the characters - especially the mystic -may seem a little confusing atm, but hopefully things will all fall into place after the second or third chapter.

@Smith: This is the first chapter of the story I was talking to you about.

General information concerning the plot:

This is going to be the tale of a mythical Nybelmarian wizard. The city (Dhor) is also a mythical place, and so is the war. There are - or rather will be- some references to this myth in Krath, Loreney (?) and Smith's Anpagan/ venlaken enclave

Vocab

Krath-mélár'ián

Edited by: Coren FrozenZephyr at: 7/20/04 14:54

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2004, 13:25:00 »

Chapter 1

There, he saw Dhor: The city where the azure sea and the burning heavens rejoiced under the watchful eyes of the sun-god.

He let his sight shift to horizon, where a thousand ships dotted the navy waters. So, that would explain the startling turmoil behind the city’s towering gates. He had heard of this Embrosias, an ambitious king for sure, who had finally managed to unite the scattered realms far beyond the waters of lonely Loreney. The pact was still weak, built on nothing but mouth-honor spurred by a man’s violence and ambition. Yet it is still quite an achievement for one man, he thought as his mind’s eye continued to watch the largest fleet those parts of the world ever saw drift towards the Sun-God’s realm.

A few minutes later, he sensed one of the ships sail apart from the rest of the force and head for the sand bathed shore. Embrosias’ reckless ambition to conquer was self-illustrious, but he had not known that a fool’s valor accompanied it. T’was a true pity that most kings lacked the patience to see the end of their plans; diving headlong into battles, never being able to taste the sweet fruit of their hard labor… When he noticed the black sails fluttering in the wind above the oarsmen, the mystic laughed a haughty laugh. The war must indeed be essential for the tyrant, if he was sailing with the one man he most hated. The black sails belonged to the legendary warrior Akhilliss and his fierce Mélár’áh-Khéin. Closing his eyes, the mystic could make out the warrior’s fair hair flutter with the bright breeze the way his craft’s sails did as the day broke into the night. As the vessel slithered amid the lenient froths of Narean’s waves, the warriors took turns to slip into their shimmering armor like dolphins diving into the deep blue. The mystic had not paid a great deal of attention to the dressing up until he heard the metallic swish of a sword. Great, one less to handle… Fervent mutiny let them slay each other ‘fore they go ashore! The grand mage was a tad thwarted when he heard what it all was about, Akhilliss softly scolding his cousin for jeopardizing himself without reason:

- And what do you think you’re doing, Belariand?

The handsome lad replied graciously, as if he was not the one the great warrior’s blade was pointed at.

- But why cousin? Grooming me’self for battle, like the rest of you, evidently.

A raise of the eyebrow said all. And there was the sword, of course, that gleamed with a bluish gray under the early rays of dawn, courtiers to cheery clouds bathing under the hot sun; a cold reminder that Akhilliss was definitely not set to handle humor so early in the day.

- Belariand, get back into the ship without further ado.

The boy was not ready to throw in the white towel yet. He would endeavor with all his wit till he could convince Akhilliss to go to battle with them.

- But cousin, I’m so bored of sitting there all day. We’ve been at sea for weeks. The imminence of her damp lumbers’ drowning me…

- Ye sure it is the congestion that troubles you, Belariand, and not the quicksilver blood of youth pouring from one vein to another in you?

Even as the young warrior frowned, the mage could discern a salient beauty in his contours. The sorcerer thought he heard him grumble “As if you were an old man…” ever so slightly.

- But Akhilliss, you can’t expect me to be curbed in that tiny hole when you’re all chewing whatever glory the day may yield over out in the open here – under this… this… gentle sea breeze!

- I had not known people to be incapable of contemplating indoors… Perhaps you’d like to take over the rowing a bit? Poor Patroshius here seems drained. Tell me friend, how would you like a little break?

There was a brief blink of the eye between the two soldiers. The rest of the squad smirked slyly. Then the brawny man, the one with the suntanned skin – not that there was a difference between the men’s crust, responded, as if gasping for breath:

- Very much sir.

Belariand quickly decided to pass on that one. If he were to accept the proposal, he wouldn’t have vigor enough in him to swing a sword at a blind bird. Still, he would not succumb to Akhilliss’ sardonic entreaties.

- What will I do then, when all of you have gone to wage war with the foul Dhorians?

Akhilliss sighed and let the steel slide back into its sheathe. Embracing his cousin on the shoulders, the great warrior whispered into the young man’s ear:

- You’re all that’s left from my blood, Belariand. I don’t want to lose you to a pack of hungry wolves.

Then he hauled his voice so the men could here him:

- You’ll stay here and guard the ship.

- But –

Akhilliss had had enough of his cousin’s recklessness. Shaking him by the shoulders, he roared like a golden lion:

- Do you think you are a match to these warriors here - in strength or skill? These are the Mélár’áh-Khéin, the finest soldiers in all of R’unor! Each man here has fought well over a hundred battles and killed ‘least thrice as many. You will stay here and guard the ship, Belariand, till we return.

The mystic’s entrancing emerald eyes were jaded with the senseless squabble taking place on the black sailed vessel. Perchance the serene sea would swallow the ferry whole and quench the venomous fire to kill burning them from within…In the fidgety tedium, the great warrior’s remarks missed the heightened senses of the mage. The words that struck Belariand like an agitated javelin had flown right past the mystic’s web, you are not a Mélár’áh-Khéin yet Belariand; don’t try to dance in a giant’s shoes. Words that would not only mark the fatal entrance of one man, but doom the fate of a whole nation henceforth…

- Now take that armor off and rally back into your seat. I cannot fight praying that the stabbing shriek shot from behind me is you dying under the vile blade of a ravenous Dhorian.

- But I’ll still need my armor for that, wouldn’t I?

- For what? As far as I know, a fool needs not chain mail to imperil himself.

Things had once again fallen back to considerate convalescence. The young man cried a hearty laugh:

- No, not for that cousin. To guard the ship as His Highness commanded…

- Alright, but do not even mull over your chances of escape without being noticed.

The mystic had not really paid much attention to the last part of the public tête-à-tête. The sightless ties forming and fracturing between Akhilliss and his cousin as their wills clashed against each other like two spent wrestlers had amused him far greater than the endless bickering of geese. Soon that too tired him, thus the mystic’s burning line of vision voyaged from one ship to the next searching for possible threats to his safekeeping in the near future. After an hour’s scrutiny the mage smiled at his fair fortune, King Embrosias, driven by the impetuosity of a consuming ambition, had failed to further his defense with spell casters. The reckless king, quite fortunately for the Dhorians, had brought no mages with him, only a bunch of half-ripe priestesses dedicated to a distant sea.

The days to come promised some excitement, a fine change for a mage that had lain sealed for two hundred and seventy one days. But soon he would be freed from his long slumber… Soaring with a sea scented gust, the mystic took off to the temple.

As the sun priests chanted around his crystallized body, cracking the blazing chains that fixed him on the awfully boring floor of the marble altar, the mystic grinned darkly and began preparing himself for the encounter he almost looked forward to.

When the ship carrying the provoked soldiers brushed against the golden sands of the Dhorian coast, a shower of burning arrows had already been aimed at its crew. Gasping in smoldering pain, three warriors kissed a final farewell to the world that had harbored them for years in a land far away from their own. It did not take long for the ardent group of fighters to regroup under Akhilliss’ command. Their armor glistening in the hot sun like the scales of a greedy drake as the warriors moved like a single body under their joined shields. The archer’s assault was in vain; arrows stoke the steel dragon only to be knocked off a second later; not even the most adept shots could make their way into the monster’s flesh. As the beast dashed across the hot sands, pounding an enemy soldier here and there within its ruthless claws as it moved, the defenders began a desolate retreat.

Akhilliss, seeing that the rest of the fleet finally went ashore, led his fearsome fighters amid the swirling sand raised by their firm march up to the forlorn temple dedicated to the Sun-God. Inside the sandstone walls of the sanctuary the priests hastened their ritual around the marble altar and uncanny orange lights kept flaring around the caged body as the fervent bonds bounding him gave way to the unbending will of the Guardian. Slowly, after nine wearisome months’ forced sleep, the mystic felt his power return to him; the magic burning in his veins like a thousand torches set alight in a black cave. The glaring mage could feel that it would take another sunrise for the priests to release his body, yet somehow he knew the cursed witches’ spells could no longer restrain his etheric reflection. With a crackling gust he rushed off the chamber to meet the burly invaders striding up the cliff surrounding the temple. Materializing on a golden disk of runes a few fores above the ground, the mystic greeted the sprinting hero, “All hail proud Akhilliss and his fierce Mélár’áh-Khéin! I had almost begun to worry that you would overlook Embrosias’ call and miss our little bash here…” A strong current of air hit the approaching squad when he was finished with socializing, thrusting the burly invaders downhill. The fighters struggled to fight the sturdy wind back, but the best they could do was maintaining their position. Little droplets of sweat began to form on their scowling faces as the men clashed against the sightless barrier of howling air. Hearing Akhilliss cuss under a harsh breath at him, the hovering mystic answered back “Come on great Akhilliss, is this all you can do? Aging are we? Dhuch, dhuch, dhuch, dhich, a little exercise is good for your legs.” When the legendary warrior pushed against the blowing gust with all his might and began to advance at a snail's pace, the mage applauded the irritated man’s effort, “There you go… Wasn’t all that hard, eh?”

The skilled warrior roared his response, demanding that the mage fought “like a man”. The powerful mystic laughed frantically to ridicule his proclamation, “And die like a fool? My bemused Akhilliss, we all play our part with what the gods have given us. I hope you realize that one day.” There was a slight tint of scorn on that word, one the mage could not be sure whether Akhilliss noted or not, for the warrior’s frozen expression gave away nothing of his thoughts. “But today I shall grant your wish and answer your call. Alright then, show us what you’ve got, o’ great Akhilliss!” With a brisk shrug of his hand the wind ceased its hard swirl around the invaders and they surged at him after a brief moment’s startle. Dissipating the golden disk, the mystic saluted the squad coming at him and took his fighting position. To the Mélár’áh-Khéin’s disbelief he wore no armor, nor wielded a single weapon. A fool, the fighters thought as they marched up the cliff, he should have never released us. Certainly he’s unaware of our reputation…The mystic shouted back at the troop, “Is this your conception of a manly battle Akhilliss? Is this your understanding of a fair fight; one man against fifty strapping warriors? No matter, you shall all regret invading your partner’s gracious lands before the day’s over!” With that the warrior mage started to run at an incredible speed, to his amusement the mystic realized that he had lost almost nothing of his old form. His muscles ached to taste the rushing air, his feet purred at the touch of the brushing sand. Then he remembered that his physical body still lay floating amid the clerics’ chant. The mage scolded himself for his imprudence, a most unnecessary waste of energy all this was. But he had already challenged the Mélár’áh-Khéin into a fight, fleeing now would be cowardice. He would have to deal with them the traditional way. Sighing, the swift mage rolled across the hot plane, focusing the heat around him as he moved. With a prompt spin of his legs, the lithe mystic caused the fastest three to tumble over his feet and fall downhill. Dodging two of the Mélár’áh-Khéin’s spears and clasping a third in mid air, with the aid of a mystic vigor evidently, the mysterious man kept on running. When he reached a certain momentum, the mystic rolled across the air, landing in the middle of the rushing squad, thrust the javelin into the sizzling sand and swirled around the pole, knocking another three out of his way with the power he sucked from the day’s heat. The fools are not even aware that I possess no physical body, the mystic laughed to himself. As the rest of the squad rushed to wedge in, the swift sorcerer disappeared as breath into the wind – only to appear a few fores behind Akhilliss. Quickly disarming the warrior with the ancient move of the serpent - it was true that he had to use a little extra force just to make sure - the mystic snatched the warriors exceedingly strong arms on his back and whispered darkly into his ear, “I’m glad you could make it here Akhilliss. We shall meet soon again.” Then he disappeared as breath into the wind, leaving behind a mass of humiliated soldiers.

Edited by: Coren FrozenZephyr at: 6/17/04 22:05

Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2004, 08:40:00 »

This looks like it's going to be a long endeavour, coren... From a Nybelmarian point of view I see nothing wrong until now, maybe except the use of Loreney. Loreney is a fairly recent kingdom so it might not work (I mean with this name) with the mythical story you plan to introduce. But then again, Loreney is also fairly undeveloped :) . So first, we'll have to know more about the story.

Isilhir
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2004, 08:12:00 »

im not too familiar with the Nybelmar history(bangs head into screen for not studying more), but I think you've managed to capture a great atmosphere here, just as in your previous story.

the only thing that bugs me is the name 'Belariand', which if you replace the first a with an e suddenly turns into the name of the old Middle-Earth... :lol  

------------------
"You can't be a Real Country unless you have A BEER and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a BEER."
- F. Zappa

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2004, 04:43:00 »

Oops, i didn't know that at all :o

"Bel" is a Krath synonym for 'light'. In here, because it is placed before another word, the meaning is "touched by light"

Usually "Bel" is a title given to people in ancient Krath, standing for "Enlightened One". Although it was at first used to indicate one's spiritual level, later on it was adopted by the life mages - which reminds of another entry waiting to be written - to mark a position among their ranks.

For these reasons, it's quite odd for someone's name to start with "Bel". And that "d" at the end complicates things further. I don't know how to explain this but:

- if a word begins with an action denoting adjective ("touched by light" for instance") it's tense automatically becomes the present. (It's a bit weird, but everysingle word / rune gains a different tense when used together with another word or group of words) Actually this is why most Krant names are in the present tense.

- a "d" at the end of such a word (so action-adjective/noun/tense) implies that the action will happen sometime in the future. To be stuck in the past or worry about the future is considered to be a bad omen in Krath. This kind of 'd' usage is mostly used in prophesies, suggesting that the definition will be appropriate only after a series of changes the person will go through. Considered to be a bane, such prophesies oftentimes mark terrible occurances.

Back to "Belariand": Depending on whether or not the last a has a ' on it - á - the word can be translated as "He who will / shall be touched by light" This could connote several things to a priestess learned in the Sacred Tongue:

1- The most obvious meaning is that the person will be enlightened sometime in the future according to the name

2- Since common Krant is only a simplified (to three dimensions: the past, the present and the future) version of the Sacred Tongue, depending on where the rune representing "bel" was placed in the original inscription, the word could also suggest "a change" in the person.

3- Likewise depending on whether or not a rune representing "the (last) Journey" (=death) this change could be something to do with the after-life or rather "after the first Journey is over"

:crazy  I did it again, didn't I? bored everyone to death with explanations...

@isilhir: I've finally finished reading the ulvur story, but I see now that i was a bit late. Do you want me to leave my comments nonetheless?

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2004, 05:10:00 »

Uhm, at the moment I find a rather exact reiteration of the Troy movie... :

Can you maybe summarize the myth as to what it is all about otherwise I find it difficult to judge which Nybelmarian people would know it and where it might take place. Loreney is not much of a sea kingdom for one part. For a Troy similarity Aca Santerra or R'unor would be better. Currently the only religions with sun gods are the Korweynites and the Orcristh.

Myrmidon was the name of the companions of Achilles btw.

Currently I don't know at what you're aiming thus I don't know what the myth could be all about and who might think it important.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Isilhir
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2004, 09:01:00 »

Sure Coren, go ahead.. I'll most liekly want to change it sooner or later anyway, not for Santharia, but my own original:p

Haha well that was a fair explanation nonetheless... jsut a pure coincidence then;)  

------------------
"You can't be a Real Country unless you have A BEER and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a BEER."
- F. Zappa

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2004, 08:51:00 »

:: gollum speech ::

Me toldsss you to be discreet... Me toldsss you the fat knight would notice...

:lol

But the Illiad had such great scenes and lines I couldn't help but modify... And I'm so terrible at stealing names, aren't I? Akhilliss was more of a coincidence though, "ackh" is the Krath equivalent for "ice" and all words ending with a tool/weapon/non-living thing's name with an "iss" ending so... But true I did know about the Myrmidons, "ants" in Greek, right? Doesn't suit the story anyway, I need to make up a word for "strength/power" (muscle)

A few notes on the story:

One of the interesting features is that, since according to the legend Dhor was never actually in Krath territory, all the names are in Ancient Krath'ul. I guess I owe an explanation to all of you at this point:

One is not allowed to teach the Sacred Tongue, or spells cast by using it, to another mortal. Sort of like a "you must experience it yourself" situation. This, btw, is one of the reasons why it's so hard and time consuming to master the runic inscriptions. There are in fact two ways one can learn the Sacred Tongue: either, as most dreamer / priestesses do, directly communicate with the Goddess in your dreams or learn to interpret Her signs. Most folklore, fables, myths actually serve for two other purposes: To provide ppl smart enough to notice with spiritual insight/moral values and describe a spell or a certain type of conjuction in the Sacred Tongue. The latter is the only way appropriate for a mortal to pass on his knowledge btw.

Sort of like the "Unbroken Circle of Zerthimon (?)" in Planescape Torment. (in the game: as you unlock the secrets of a layer of stories, you gain certain skills and/or spells.)

PS: There was a reason I insisted on the sun "god". This myth is important to me because it will teach the last Earth king the Gates of Frost. Anyway, "sun-god" is actually a misinterpretation of the original bindrune. The rune for "Higher Power" (refers to the Krant perception of raw magic) was later given to deities.

In the actual tale, there was no sun-god. Since the translation made little sense, Krant scholars had to modify the tale a bit. The "priests" mentioned there were actually mages who could use raw magic (possibly weavers) and the sun-god they were supposed to worship was a "raw source of light" the mages drew their power from.

Also for Loreney - I guess you're right. Which one would suit better? Also can you think of any (mythical) name we could subsitute instead to make the story less factual?

Back to the legend:

I know it has started quite similar to the movie, but hopefully it won't have much to do with the actual siege of Troy.

The city never gets destroyed, because massive earthquakes / famine /another war (i don't know) rip apart the invader's homeland and they have to drop the siege. Smith also had plans for an Anpagan reference to a similar myth, so I'll be waiting for that. After I get a few other chapters up, I'll open a disc. thread in the Nybelmar board, is that okay?

Thanks for the commetns btw :)  

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2004, 12:59:00 »

When you want to keep it very vague you could use fictional names with only vague ideas of the positions of the places mentioned. Instead of saying "it was in Loreney" say "in a kingdom beyond the Waters of Loreney" or something like that. I guess R'unor might suit well for such mythical place though it needs quite a bit of rework in Santharian reality.

Oh, I have a similar problem with names. I usually don't even know where I got them from and then it takes someone like Drogo and Curgan with enough historical knowledge who point out that some name is very close to something historical and I usually have just read some stuff about it.

Akhilliss should work as it is a single similarity, but try to find something else for the other names otherwise it is too obvious.

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 June 2004, 04:13:00 »

Just did some research on R'unor and it turned out to be the perfect place! Thank you so much koldar!

Actually I have a few things in mind that may help you with the races you're trying to integrate into the island, if you don't have anything else in mind for them :)

I think you've mentioned somewhere that spicing Runor with a few Psyrpents and Móh'sýs (?) would be a good idea. I also need a reason for the invading force to retreat, so perhaps trouble with either one of these groups in the mainland might be useful. Actually in one of the chapters I've described a terrible war to befall mankind. One so horrible that even the Dhorians had to ally with the R'unorians (the invaders). So I'm thinking, maybe the myth might be important both for Krath (for it's about possibly the greatest Krant mage) and R'unorians. The legend tells of a time of splendor and peace, when the R'unorians shores shone with the golden sun dancing on the white sand. Then during the war -after the siege of Dhor - with these beasts (perhaps in the final battle) the mystic had to sacrifice himself to force the Móh'sýs back (the Mohsys being demons kind of fits well here). The "sun-god" - who, according to the myth, was a close friend of the sorceror - curses the land of Pyserpents for manipulating King Emrosias and causing the siege of Dhor, and gathering the Mohsys in the meanwhile etc. so the sun never shines bright in R'unor again. (the redish gray myst) It could even go far to say that the war had been so horrid that the entire shore was soaked with the blood of the fallen demons. (=the black sands, bones = the obsidian rocks)

There is another reason I think R'unor would be the right choice, beside it being a land transformed by a tragic war:
I've been discussing this with Smith for a few weeks. I've already mentioned a Temple/ palace/shrine dedicated to the first Earth king, located in the southern most jungles of Krath. (more detail will come soon) The second would be the one dedicated to this mystic, hidden deep within the valleys of the Grey Mountains. I'll try to cover that in the myth too.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 June 2004, 06:03:00 »

I suggested to make Moh'sys a demon kind as they're currently very vague and suit more as a magical/mythical kind of demon than an actual race. However I thought to move  the Psyrpents to R'unor to supplement the unique flora and fauna there.

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 June 2004, 07:28:00 »

hah...

:: lost in thought ::

So what do you suggest I should do, High King?

Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 June 2004, 08:07:00 »

About the Anpagan reference to this myth. It's not planned, it's already done: in the Daedhirian Undead (the venlaken enclave - tribes section) entry I mentioned that when the Anpagans colonized the venlaken area they found some ruins there. This, combined with your myth that tells about events taking place outside the empire yet in no other known kingdom, could lead to an idea about a lost civilization. And I mean really lost (as "lost" could be considered even the first Korweyn or Ehebion, however these are pretty present in various nations' memories).

Anyway, if you place your myth in R'unor, this interpretation becomes a little bit tricky so to say => you won't need the Anpagan references to such a lost city and civ.

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 June 2004, 09:42:00 »

Quote:
Huge ruins were spotted in the Venlaken area even before the Anpagan colonization and it seems that the Daedhirians were, at least until the Dark Plague, rebuilding them. Besides the ancient massive colonades, burried vaults were also spotted in the Enclave. In the city of Venlaken, ever-smoking stone buildings are standing crowded together, seemingly lacking the most common aesthetical sense, believed to be used as "living" space.

Is this the section you're referring to Smith? I can't spot any other reference atm. Also when did the civil war happen? Around 3500 bS, who was in the region? (this is probably the time the myth took place)

How about this: Krath and Anpagan think Dhor was located somewhere south of Venlaken (or should it be visa versa? Dhor on the Zhunith side and the invader homelands on the enclave?)

If we stick with the first one: Their historians believe that the siege burned down most of Dhor. The sun-god's curse might be the explanation of the anpagan commoners' perception of the Venlaken lands.

If we go with the second one: Dhor fell. Kih-ibele was angered to see one of the cities guarded by his son (of course this is if one choses to accept the sun-god as a part of Kih'i-bele's pantheon) and in turn a massive Krath army crushed the civilization on Venlaken and this explains the land's curse (Kih'i-bele's bane)

If we combine the two: Anpagan believes Dhor to be located on their lands, but Krath claims the opposite.

R'unor on the other hand, insists that Dhor was in the small 'curve' / strech of land into the sea that I mentioned to you, north west of Ivyleth.

@smith:
Quote:
About the Anpagan reference to this myth. It's not planned, it's already done
:lol  You work fast!

Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 June 2004, 17:42:00 »

Until now we were trying to deal with 10k years of Nybelmar history, which for Sarvonia are already ancient and even long forgotten. The thing is that, in my opinion, we have a bit too much clarity here. Ok, it's understandable for such centers of culture which endured over time like Korweyn, Santerra, Anpagan or Krath. However I believe we also need a bit more "foggy" things. Such a myth about a lost civilization could be one of these "foggy" things.

So here comes the mentioning of those ruins found by Anpagans in the Venlaken are, here comes your story about a lost realm north or north-east of Krath (oh and don't be concerned that you talk about a water siege - what can be a lake might pass for a sea in some ancient people's view; also this lake, if it is a lake, doesn't even need to be currently on the map since the west has suffered a desertification process). We could also plant some more ruins or other clues on the nomads' territories. But we can't write a specific entry about this lost realm because it wouldn't be lost anymore.

The idea is that none of these cultures (Krath, Anpagan, Korweyn etc) really has any clue about who these guys could have been. So there are only speculations: one of these speculations is just your planned story.

Giving too specific references (like R'unor or Loreney), or times, would also kill the myth. The Krunts could refer to it as Dhor, of course - but that's as arbitrary as Plato's Atlantis.

About the interpretations regarding the fall of this civ, of course they may vary: you already offer one, I guess, in your story, but we can also offer as reasons some natural disasters (the desertification), or even the Chyrakisth (btw, they need some sort of occupation while the Korweynites and Murmillions are engaged in their holy wars). But this is not important. Important is that the mystery is only enriched with each interpretation. And, after all, this is all about in this myth: it's a mystery.

So you don't need to coordinate your story with other nations if you place it in some "illo tempore" like actually all the myths are. (Besides, the Anpagan civil wars are supposed to be happening in the century when the Year of Darkness takes place => your story is older than Anpagan itself I think)

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]