Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Play?  (Read 6163 times)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 June 2004, 04:45:00 »

I wish I was as talented as you Rayne... How did you manage to follow the stress in iambic pentameter? The story's beautiful too - especially the dark and moonlit atmosphere of elves lurking in the shadow of woods :)  Great scene!

I don't want to promise anything, because I'm not sure whether or not I have the skill or the talent to complete it that I have sworn to, but I may be able to compose something related to this play - if you allow me to, that is. Talia already requested that I composed a piece made out of three pieces - :: sighs "couldn't she asked for something simpler ? " :: - and tonight when i get back home, I'll try to work on the prelude. Probably it will be in B minor, and for a few woodwind instruments. A very slow and hopefully lyric song ... sort of like elves marching into war, coming out of their dark woods under the silver light of the moon ;)  Hope I can manage it though :: sighs ::

Btw, I'm open to all suggestions regarding the instruments. Does anyone know what would create a nice and eerie yet melancholic atmosphere? I was thinking of a flute and an oboe

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 June 2004, 12:57:00 »

Scene Two's up! And there's a song, Coren. ;)

Thank you for your compliments, Coren! I think the iambic pentameter has just come from reading a bunch of Shakespearean plays (Othello, Hamlet, Julius Ceaser, Macbeth, etc. etc.) and also reading a lot of his sonnets and doing a bunch of my own. After a while, it gets to the point when you can sit down and almost think in iambs, which makes things easier, for sure.

But we all have our niches. Coren, you are a wonderful musician, and I would be flattered if you composed a piece to this play! Unfortunately, I'm not too knowledgeable with instruments. :o  I have always loved the piano and viola, though.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 June 2004, 14:18:00 »

Okay got a small theme for the prelude now. The instruments are as follows:

-A Flute
-Oboe 1
-Oboe 2
- A Harp (I'm planning to keep it quiet through most of the prelude though)
- An Organ (suits better than a piano)
- Violin 1
- Viola

But I don't have the slightest idea whether or not I can cope with it. I've never written a song before and besides I'm really new in this composition thingy. Also don't know who could sing it for me, and how I could send them the notes.

But hey! Keep trying till the road lightens up again.

@rayne: Will read S2 tomorrow. Nice song btw. I'm thinking of starting the prelude with it.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 June 2004, 14:48:00 »

If composing is anything like writing sonnets (or a play in iambic pentameter), then it's something that first needs effort. Try it, work on it, and something will become of it.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 June 2004, 09:18:00 »

I feel so guilty, but I couldn't resist changing the place of a few lines before waiting for a reply from you... Sorry... But "When dead ends brought his spirits down." went so well a bit earlier.

:  And there is one more thing... The fourth line of the song, I had to reverse it a bit - I know it killed the stress, but otherwise it wouldn't fit the melody, so:

"To each shadowed star he looked up to...
 In hope to ..."

Okay here is a report on the progress:
- Have a draft for the first stanza - in fact only until the end of "... gold might glint." There is still much to add, but I can't do that unless I get your approval. The rest is easy once the first part is up. Can we meet sometime on msn? I need to send you the song :)

- A very rough idea regarding the rest of the piece.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 15 June 2004, 12:18:00 »

Coren made a first demo of a song intended to go with the play, which turned out very nice:)   - Make sure to download and listen to it - it's worth it! It's not complete yet, so the end is a bit abrupt for now, but just hear for yourself...

Prelude to Play (741 KB, 0:47 min)

(Right-click and "Save Target As..." to download)

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 6/14/04 20:18

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 June 2004, 14:25:00 »

It's beautiful! Coren, you have a talent for music. ;)

I guess I'm actually going to have to finish this play, then, ne? :o  

Arancaytar Ilyaran

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 19 June 2004, 14:20:00 »

Absolutely. Look at the contract signed in your blood :read  . You can't wriggle out...:lol

Mh, but it should be fun, no? Writing in that style is slightly tiring for me, but finally getting those rhythms lined up smoothly is so satisfying.

And I didn't even know you could compose, Coren! A new musician to swell our ranks at last.;)  

Santharia, a place of world creation and roleplaying.

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 June 2004, 11:33:00 »

:hat  @Aran. Thanks.

:: slyly passes on a piece of paper to Aran amid the conversation, when no one is looking ::

Hey, Rayne, in Santharia will they accept you as the author? Maybe we could have an entire entry on how/under which circumstances the play was written, how long it took, some info on the writing style of the playwright etc and maybe how the piece (the song i sent you) was commissioned?

I know, I know... Becoming more and more like Talia, trying to make a new entry out of everything ;)

Also, I need to lay my hands off the song a little bit, else I'll get tired too quickly. And also don't want to change a lot of things if you decide to alter the words a bit... Lazy me... :o

But I do have some good news: I've been reading about Claude Debussy and how he ended up as a composer lately. His work inspired me to produce a piece parallel to his compositions (impressionist). I'll send the file to our great sage soon! Called "A Stride Along the Pond"

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 June 2004, 12:52:00 »

Hey! Our dear webmaster has just put the song up! See here.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 12 July 2004, 01:40:00 »

Hey, Rayne - guess we could put up this first part, eh? I don't know if you can/want to complete the whole play, but for now putting it up as an example of Santharian theater should be fine, don't you think so?

If you can add a summary/teaser stating that this is an excerpt of the famous play done by blahblah etc. this should do for now - additions (also songs by Coren etc.) can always be added later.

I thought that instead of the regular book on the top left we have at library entries I could put two theater masks to give this piece another character - what do you say? We could also put other little icons there e.g. for letters and the like.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 13 August 2004, 05:56:00 »

Rayne - I know you are busy, but let me encourage you :hug  not to let this languish.  I love :heart  the play, and want to see more acts, as time allows for you.  Hope you can note Artimidor's comments and we can get the first act up at least in one of the next updates!

Regards from the drama-loving-bard,
Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 February 2010, 18:59:52 »

BUMP!

Tell you what - if you get this up on the site, I promise to get the song finished by, oh, the end of 2012?

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]