Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: You know you're addicted when...  (Read 3654 times)
Amuwen

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 09 January 2003, 17:26:00 »

...you start to dream of mystical places with odd plants and unnatural circumstances.

I dreamt last night that I was either in a ruins or the remains of a pitrate ship gone aground. There were gold coins with markings I had never seen before on them. Real bronze objects, how I knew they were bronze I'll never know. Other things I saw were of no value at all, they were modern-day things. It was like someone had found this place before us, but why they didn't take anything is beyond me.

We walked around the building/ship/wall and entered an enclosed garden full of plants made entirely of crystals. The crystals were of no real value but they were quite beautiful all the same. They were stones like quartz and amethyst. I saw an orange/yellow plant, a rose quartz plant, an amethyst plant and several others. Also below and all around the plants, the stones were scattered all over the ground. I think I took a few of the prettier stones as keepsakes, but the rest was just left there. Mostly I remember having my arms full of coins and anything I thought might be of value.

All-in-all, it was a really interesting and very enjoyable dream. Plus, it's now given me a great idea for a new plant!

So far my ideas for this plant are as follows:
The Crystaline Shrub/Bush
-a plant growing mainly crystals
-leaves, fruit, and branches all covered in crystal
-crystals not of much value
-grown near dwarven mines/settlements, perhaps underground(?)
-fruits of bush are large cylindrical shaped crystals
-colors range from deep yellow/orange to pink, purple, pale green and light blue
-each bush is all one color from its roots to its fruit
-no real flowers on bush, only the large 'fruit'
-may be related to the gem flower(?)
-reproduction- mages(?) (may have to think on this one for a bit)
-folk lore- dwarves believe these are good luck- may be good gems/gold in earth beneath or near-by(?)

Amuwen
May your heart float softly upon the breeze and the wind guide your path.

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2003, 18:24:00 »

Have you ever read "The Crystal World" by J. G. Ballard? Similar idea. Pretty much this forest it turning into crystal. It's actually kind of scary because all these people die and such, and the crystal 'disease' is growing and growing and they think it's going to take over the entire world, turning the earth and all her inhabitance to crystal. I don't really remember the details because I read it so long ago.

This idea you have could really go either way: Either a crystal that molds itself into the shape of a plant or another entity. You might call it the mirror crystal, because it grows in the shapes of things around it, mirroring their image in a more 3d sense. You can also go the way you have it now.

Anyway, just some ideas.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Amuwen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2003, 18:32:00 »

That's an interesting way to take it actually. And no I haven't read that one, sounds creepy. Is it a good book?

Amuwen

Amuwen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2003, 18:36:00 »

I was just thinking, what about a disease that developes on the Gemflowers? It causes these plants to grow abnormally, crystalizing all over the plant instead of inside the flower.

Just a quick idea. Don't know if it even has the potential to work, as I haven't even fully read the Gemflower entry yet.

Amuwen

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2003, 22:46:00 »

Sometimes it sucks though; It took me two hours to fall asleep last night, thinking abouytrying to speak styrash and working on the Modern Styrash thing. Now, this was while I was laying in BED.
Lights out, no pad of paper, nothing. I had my eyes closed and all I could think about was "Mod'hal'eferan."

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Erutan Argon
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2003, 23:25:00 »

Ack I never remember dreams, any dream I ever have are the ones where you are falling or some other disaster. Wonder why....

Erutan Argon
~~Join a Fantasy in the making~~
~~Runescape~~ the game that never sleeps
  Santharia's Official "Giant Race" Expert

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2003, 08:38:00 »

Amuwen - love that idea!

Instead of creating a new plant that people might potentially a) confuse with the Gemflower b) think is copied from the Gemflower c) consider too far-out to be common or useful...

she has neatly gotten around all those objections by making it a 'diseased' form of the Gemflower!

Not only do I think it's creative, I think it's realistic.  Ergot is a type of fungus (technically 'smut' - which has a different meaning here! ;)  ) which grows on corn/wheat and was used by many primitive herbalists, possibly from the Dark Ages.   There are multitudes of diseases, rusts, funguses, genetic malformations and twistings which can occur in plant forms, and this is the first time the topic has ever arisen in Santharia.

I say Bravo, and go ahead with that angle.   Looking forward to having crystaline plants refracting light around my dwarven caverns....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Winlok
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2003, 12:23:00 »

I agree in part with Judy, however I don't think it is that realistic. Although it could be. As it stands it sounds like something you would find in the Ethereal Void or on the Isle of Mythe. A bush that grows crystal flowers seems far fetched.

If you were to make it a rare species only found in Dwarven Mines to light the way. Like incadescent walls of phosphor,  then maybe. But you would also have to explain why they are only found in caves mined by Dwarves, unless you further made them rare and said they were found only in mountain "X".

Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2003, 12:34:00 »

Nothing grows in the Void. Not really. Not in that way.

Brownie Expert

Amuwen

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2003, 15:38:00 »

How can it seem far fetched? This is a fantasy world full of magic and magical things and creatures. Santharia isn't realistic!

And we already have flowers that produce gems.

Also, they could quite easily be found only in mines, as maybe they prefer little to no sunlight. It wouldn't be hard at all.

But anyway, I think I'm going to make them merely a disease of the Gemflower. Which you can find Here btw.

Amuwen

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2003, 16:28:00 »

I fully support such ideas, Amuwen, we should have fantastic designs here in this world. And this one is a good idea. The problem is always to have a certain balance between realism (scientifically accurate) and being too fantastic (flying pigs e.g.). But I guess these ideas fit in very well:D

Also I guess e.g. things like special semi-crystaline glowing mushrooms would be in interesting idea in this context. They could serve dwarves in their mines as waypoints for examples. Just an idea.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2003, 18:21:00 »

Dunno if flying pigs are out of the question; we already have flying monkeys.

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Amuwen

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2003, 18:25:00 »

:lol  

Amuwen

Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2003, 19:20:00 »

Fly, fly, my pretties!
*shoves his winged Diegos out of his tower's window*
*notes the resulting splats*
Hmm. To plan B!

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2003, 01:27:00 »

YES!! Do something DIFFERENT!!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 580
Online Ever: 580
(Today at 09:39:18)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 384
Total: 384

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)