Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: World seeking new name  (Read 13086 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 08 April 2003, 13:10:00 »

I've written Nate more than 2 weeks ago now concerning our likely quitting of the Sorren cooperation, a very clear mail in fact. I wrote him another mail 3 days ago to remind him that we're definitely quitting if I don't even get a reply from his side, so I propose we should decide now if we'll us another name for the world except Aér'aí'chán (elven name) and what that will be. We then can vote on it perhaps... Proposals welcomed!

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
quegon
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2003, 19:23:00 »

Maybe you should name it after an admin :b

The lands of Artimidor! :)

but seriously if we decide a name for it its gonna have to stick around for a while so we'd better think of one that everyone likes plus is a good name.

I'm stumped never was good a naming places nor remembering them for that matter :x

Quegon

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2003, 06:37:00 »

Ai'chan

Aer'chan

Archan

Aerychan

all have the virtue of being 'derived' from the elvish but easier to remember (those simple-minded humans! Can't even pronounce an acute accent!)  I particularly like the last, as it is a possible human spelling of the way the elvish could sound... (pronounced air-ee-chan)

----------------------------------------------

Tharia

Tharya

Tolk

Santhon

Santhe

Arthinon

Artima

Avesta

Kienaria

Kielen

These names are all indebted to famous entities who have inspired the universe of the Dream, from Ava to Tolkien to Artimidor!  They have a certain charm, you must admit...

------------------------------

And last, but not least....

Why not simply "Santharia"?  Yes, I know it's also the name of a province.  But if we bear in mind that city and state names often overlap in Terran geography, especially the major and famous ones ("New York, New York!") , and realize that we seem to use it almost interchangably ANYhow...  It would have the advantage of familiarity.   The only distinction that need be made is then "The province of Santharia" and "The world of Santharia" or something similar, like "Santharia" to refer to the province and "Santh" to refer to the world.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

quegon
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2003, 06:51:00 »

I think that Santharia would be a good idea since most people are already familiar with the name (not to mention the site is called "The Santharian Dream")
it'll be easier for everyone to remeber and relate to

Quegon

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2003, 07:46:00 »

Santharia is not a province but a united kingdom!

However as the continent is called Sarvonia it would make no real sense the world to be called Santharia, too, as the kingdom does not even cover all of Sarvonia and none of the other continents.

As humans don't believe in the eldest elven myths they'd be not too likely adopt their names on that either.

When we take the War of the Chosen as the first historical event where humans where majorily involved eventually Mene-Chronn(name of the first continent) would be an elven name they'd adopt.

Variations from there could be:

Menechra
Menesa
Menessa

Or a name based on own myths... Depends in what creation myth the humans believe...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2003, 15:35:00 »

Though we have indeed a bit of a problem with the site being called "The Santharian Dream" (which suggests that Avá dreams the world called "Santharia"), we have moved too far away with our concepts to be able to make a twist and use the name "Santharia" for the whole world I think...

"Arthinon", "Artima"... *hehe* How about Judyia or Wrenland? *pokes Wren if she's reading this right now*

The Menechron idea is also interesting and logical in a way, but I still have the most sympathies for "Aerychan". Aér'aí'chán could be used as the old form of the world name, while Aerychan is the modern one and as Judy says "all have the virtue of being 'derived' from the elvish but easier to remember (those simple-minded humans)". As we use Styrásh often as the Santharian world's "Latin" (old language of scholars) it is also very probable that this name was "humanized". Elves played an important role in Sarvonia for quite a long time I'd say (Fá'áv'cál'âr and later), so I wouldn't have that much of a problem with using "Aerychan" as derivation from that. Perhaps the people of Nybelmar use the proposed "Menessa" or "Menechra" as name for the world, cause they sure have another term for it.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2003, 16:54:00 »

If I were to simply go from which of those names sounded the best, Avesta would be it. In my opinion.

Bobbo the Beggar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2003, 19:23:00 »

Okay. This probably won't help much, but I'll give you a list of things I've thought of:

Achan (barbaric human derivation of the Elven word)
Mindollim (name of a world in a book I had tried to write but have abandoned)
Klimn (don't know, but it sounds good!)
Jordonia (based on the name of Robert Jordon, very good author)
Pareese (based on the word Paris, but I think it's changed so much no one will notice)
Glamdra (slight base on Glamdring)
Yidd (looking for a place where Yiddish comes from :lol  )
Eerania (interesting word, I think)
Avacanva (thought of this by combining "Ava" and "canvas," so it would mean "Ava's canvas")
Polce (I think the word is Old English for "seed")
Norellocoi (Tolkienite Quenya for "land of life")
Agarwaenor (Tolkienite Elvish for "bloodstained land," perhaps referring to the battles fought before)
Kientolia (A name based on "Tolkien," since we specifically mention Tolkien on the website, it would be appropriate, I think)

I can probably get more if I have more time to think.

'... Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.' (Gandalf)

'I wish it need not have happened in my time,' said Frodo.

'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us . . .'

The Lord of the Ring: The Fellowship of the Ring (Chapter 2: The Shadow of the Past)

The Tales of Middle Earth RPG (I'm the owner)
The Lords of Middle Earth (I'm the ent mod)
Adventures of Sorren (I'm just a player)
The Fellowship of the Ring (I'm just a member)

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2003, 21:44:00 »

Art:   Here's a historical reconciliation for you which should work no matter what name we pick...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The name "The Santharian Dream" is the title given to the gigantic Compendium Project which scholars, researchers, mages, sages, artists and authors from across the kingdom of Santharia have been working upon for the last half-century.  

Begun in the reign of King Mardan (insert appropriate monarch and date here!), the Dream was the brain-child of the now-famous scholar Artimidor Federkiel of New Santhala (insert appropriate city name here!)   His vision of a vast compendium of knowledge which all seekers after truth could access, containing tome upon tome and picture upon picture of the marvels of the united kingdom, has grown like a mil'no plant to cover not only the realms of Santharia but the entire continent of Sarvonia; indeed, contemporary scholars are even now taking ship for the unknown shores of Nybelmar and Aeruillin (correct spelling here!) in hopes of expanding the Compendium even farther.  

Eventually this vast Dream may contain the entire accreted information of the sentient world of Aerchan (insert appropriate title when chosen here); its history, its literature, its art, its geography, flora, fauna, songs, beliefs, and alcoholic beverages!  Truly a philosopher's delight and a priestess's rapture, the stuff to feed poets' imagination and the food of the wise, the Santharian Dream grows ever wider and ever more beautiful.

We welcome artists, writers, scholars, researchers, seekers after knowledge who would become wiser than they are.  Take quill in hand, come, join the vision.... the tome of Aerchan lies open before you...

------------------------------------------------------------

Just an idea - whaddya think?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artemis
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
:D
« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2003, 05:18:00 »

I'm not really in a position to suggest a name, but I think having some sort of derivative from Aer'ai'chan (I know I've spelt that WRONG!) is the best idea, and would make very logical sense!

:D  :D  :D  

To Have Flown With The Phoenix, Is To Have Lived Your Dreams...

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 April 2003, 06:28:00 »

The only thing is that when it comes  to mythological aspects one would expect an own name by any race. Afterall the Latin name of Earth is Terra Firma but it or a variation was never used in everyday talk.

Some more suggestions, just because I find Aerychan  
have a strange sound mutation from the original.

Aer'ai'chan
Aeraichan
Aerisha
Aerian
Aeries
Aries... ups
Arachan
Arasan

Aeraiston

Aylix Goth

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 April 2003, 07:50:00 »

Quote:
Avacanva (thought of this by combining "Ava" and "canvas," so it would mean "Ava's canvas";)

Personally I think that one is fairly good.
I'm not actually any good at suggesting them myself, but Avacana sounds like a good idea.

~*Aylix Firehawk*~
         ~*My Journal*~

Atrii Redwood

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 April 2003, 08:36:00 »

Avá'cál - Means Avá's Land

I'm not very good with names, if I come up with anything else I'll put it up here:)  

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 April 2003, 10:43:00 »

Aerychan.
I like it. Maybe a few less letters.

Arichan.
Aerichan. (me like. all the letters, no marks)
Erichan.
Arechan.
Urichan. ( Oops, Hope Uragel likes!)

harrum.

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - Adventures of Sorren Administrator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 10 April 2003, 12:04:00 »

Good idea, Judy, will update these things to the Santharian Compendium entry, so that we finally also have an explanation for the site's title... Was about time:)    I may add as well that the title was also chosen in honor of the elven way of life, representing their religion (Dream) in combination with the human kingdom name Santhros + Thar = Santharia. In this context the name can also be seen as a sign of reconciliation between elves and humans following the example of the Téthias'quarón back in 501 b.S.

BTW: Congrats on spelling Aeruillin correctly:lol  

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 4/9/03 7:05:16 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 74
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 90
Total: 90

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!