Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Wooden Creations  (Read 6435 times)
Humangus

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 June 2003, 05:52:00 »

Hmmm. Wooden Puppets. Nope. Bluntly, I don't like the idea outside of fairy tales.

Wooden puppet society. I don't like the idea twice as much.

You don't have to listen to my opinion of course. If you want to spend some time that's fine as long as it does not affect Caelereth in a direction that looks almost childish.

The idea of these puppets near a thief camp looks interesting though. A wizard creates them in order for the puppets to imitate the way thieves work and steal for the wizard.

And the player gets the mission to find them and destroy them once and for all :lol  

Quote:
The great successful men of the world have used their imaginations. They think ahead and create their mental picture, and they go to work materializing that picture in all its details, filling in here, adding a little there, altering this bit and that bit, but steadily building, steadily building.

-Robert Collier

www.legendarytales.com

Lamertu Kthaen
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 June 2003, 06:06:00 »

in favour of fairy tales. dont like the idea in the real santharian world

erm

caelerethi

Dirty DaVinci

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 June 2003, 08:26:00 »

Sure, why not!  I have no problem with it being a legend/fairy tale of a small cabal of wooden puppets.  Could it be a traveling troupe of wooden puppets, or would it be best to have it/them stationed in one spot?  Does the idea of one, two or three wooden puppets near a thieves den sound like an interesting idea, leading to a fairy tale/fable of 'thieving against thieves?"  May be a small group that returns things to the original owner, or just takes them and drops them randomly somewhere else?  Or should it just stay as a fairy tale, with no probable existance what-so-ever in the realm?  I'd like the idea of one, two or three puppets travelling in conjunction, about 10 inches high, just going from here to there, inadverently creating havok with unintentional causes.  

Of course, there is the point of destruction. Not trying to be inflexible here or anything.  Just this idea, I'm not saying they should be indestructible (they should be susceptible to destruction), but giving the option to the players to destroy them outright defeats the idea of a legend or fairy tale forming.  The source of such things tend to survive alot of punishment.  But hey, this could be a mute point if the whole thing stays as a fairy tale purely.  I guess what I'm saying is would it be best as a descriptive fairy tale of something that had happened, or a fairy tale in formation about something that is currently happening.  Let's hear more opinions on this, please!    

Edited by: Dirty DaVinci at: 6/26/03 16:29
Dirty DaVinci

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 June 2003, 10:21:00 »

It may be easier to put into practice what I'm trying to convey.  If I may, and there is no objection, allow me to try my hand at writing this out, in a more formal matter, then I will present it to Artimidor, Koldar and everyone else.  Maybe, put into a textual representation it will be easier to work from there, deciding the ultimate fate (story or trash) of these wayward puppets.  Smith in Exile, would you like to cooperate on this idea with me?  I can write it out, a basic outline, then send it to you to look over.  You've got a lot more experience in this than I do, but I want to try my hand at it.  Question:  anywhere in particular that I may get a template to follow, or should I use the format used in the Myths section?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 27 June 2003, 12:40:00 »

*pokes* Hey, didn't you want to join as an artist? :lol

Well, no prob if you want to try your hand on a concept for a fairy tale/legend etc. You'll find stories usually in the library, you know (only myths are in mythology, which means mainly: legends, which are of cosmological importance). And for a story you usally don't need to have an exact scheme to follow like at other sections. Such a fairy tale doesn't need to be bound too much on historical correctness, and still will add a good deal to a fantasy world by providing an interesting background, but just from another angle, which doesn't necessarily need to be the truth.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Dirty DaVinci

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 June 2003, 13:17:00 »

Well, er, ehm...yeah, I do! :)   I just want to try my hand at something new for me.  I'm still interested in doing art for the site.  hehe.  To the library, then? Got it!  

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 27 June 2003, 13:22:00 »

Humangus. They don't have to enter the RPG at once! But if you wish it, I write down a room with a box containing one immediately! Which cave would you prefer?? The player opens the box, the puppet awakes and picks at the nose of the player ? Maybe Mimi could be convinced with it to tell the player how to enter the cave?:lol

I don't know yet, if I like them. Not too many though, not a whole culture. If they are known in fairy tales and sayings (mother /child), there must have been a time, where there have been more. Otherwise their impact wouldn't have been this big. Maybe only a little group, or some small groups are left from these times, and it is possible to encounter them? As rarely seen as unicorns?

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Dirty DaVinci

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 June 2003, 13:35:00 »

I have the idea of a small group, between three to seven...not a large culture, just something unusual.  Let me see...

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 27 June 2003, 13:43:00 »

I vote for 'fairy tale', and I'm very much in favour of these puppets as a Santharian fairy tale, for the following reasons:

In a fantasy world, by definition, what Terrans call fantasy becomes the standard reality.

Thus, elves, fae, dragons, dwarves, merfolk, etc. all exist in Caelereth.  They may not be commonplace, but they are part of the world no matter how exotic they are.  (just as to a child from Kentucky a Chinese Dragon Dance may seem mysterious and exotic, or Thai food to an old Dutch grandfather...)

So what is 'fantastic' to a fantasy world?  What are Santharians' dreams and mysteries and legends about?  

Well, we have the gods, and the tree spirits like Granther Willow to feel our souls... what more?

Something like these little wooden puppets which may seem a bit childish and not at all a thing of fantasy, in my opinion fits the bill.  To a Nepris fisherman, to a Sarvonian farmer, to a Shendar nomad, to a Santhalan noble, the concept of a tiny mannikin moving by some unspecified and prolonged mystical force would seem entrancing.  Of course a court mage could reproduce such an effect for the wealthy - but as soon his spell wore off the puppets would collapse.  

And yes, if the tales describe the wooden poppetkins as being rare, having no specific use, and mimicking human actions with meaningless results, they certainly could be seen as philosophical symbols or metaphors for the human (elven/dwarven/other sentient races') condition!

There's my two san's worth...

Bard Judith

PS:  DirtyDaVinci, your coherent and erudite writing style, along with the obvious attention to detail in your graphite pieces, promises well for whatever work of art you submit to be of high quality!  Not that that alone will be our only criteria for acceptance :D , but I for one look forwards to seeing what you come up with...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 June 2003, 15:05:00 »

Oooh, Bard's got a new favourite

Don't like me anymore?

Dirty DaVinci

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 28 June 2003, 00:00:00 »

I sent out a few copies of the fairy tale.  It's long, since it explains origins and current activity.  Hope you guys like, and I'm open to any suggestions.  Smith in Exile, let me know what you think!

Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 June 2003, 00:50:00 »

I vote as fairy-tale as well...um, a whole society of walking, talking puppers reminds me of a nightmare I had....nevermind! But what sort of fairy-tale, common to all of Caelereth or limited as a legend from a particular continent or tribe?  

the Akorn
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 June 2003, 08:50:00 »

reminds me of a horror movie named "bride of chucky" or something, with an evil puppet or something.

"When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other"

the Akorn, a self-proclaimed squirrel

Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 June 2003, 09:17:00 »

given a second thought, yes, mass-production of golems is not at all a good idea (than maybe perhaps for an "evil" sort that needs to be stoped at all cost) ;)  

anyway, I will read now the drafts and say more after that, but... hmmm... where are the drafts? :S if you could send them to me on this address pralea@softhome.net it would be perfect. also you may already post it somewhere and that would be even more easy.

Dirty DaVinci

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 June 2003, 09:18:00 »

I've already sent out a few e-mailed copies of the tale.  Anyone care to give it a read, say 'yes', provide your e-mail and I'll gladly send you a draft of what I've got.  Smith in Exile, sorry, tried to send you the e-mail by your address doesn't seem to function.  Another way?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 77
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 73
Total: 73

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!