Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Wren - and Art - where do Santharians get their wood?  (Read 1644 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« on: 25 April 2004, 19:43:00 »

Something Chronusian mentioned in passing reminded me of a question I had while working on the Resources concept.

WHERE DO HUMANS GET THEIR WOOD?  :confused  

We need to have some sort of agreement with the elven tribes who seem to occupy all the major forests of the continent.... either Art needs to add some more forests on the map, which shouldn't be a huge deal, or there are long-standing 'boundary lines' which demarcate the inner sacrosanct elven deep woods from the human-managed perimeter...    After all, humans claim technical ownership of the mountains which lie within their provinces and duchies, but everyone knows that the dwarven clans of those area have most of the resource rights...

Humans need wood for building, burning, papermaking, etc. and they can't go around chopping brush in the Quellion now, can they?  So what are their options?  :veryconfused  Help!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Koldar

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2004, 03:41:00 »

I always took it that way that the existing woods are simply the greatest and most dense accumulation of woods in Sarvonia but that there're plenty of smaller woods elsewhere. Germany has a total coverage of 12% of forests today although a densely populated industrial nation. In medieval times there plenty of small woods and forests beside some even today rather untouched old forests. I'd think the later is in Santharia where the elves live the former where humans get most of their wood. If it's different a great amount of people would've to import wood from faraway and that wouldn't encourage cities and towns to evolve at those places at all.

Koldar

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2004, 03:43:00 »

I'd see the main reason for those forests to be on the map in the first place because they're inhabited by elves, not that's these are the only forests in Santharia.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2004, 05:27:00 »

I agree with Koldar, look at the recent map of the Mithrals, the few trees certainly are surely not all the wood there. In the description you write, that the footof the mountains  up to a certain height are covered with forests, so I see the forests on the side more like the place, where the elves live, not where trees can be cut for building houses.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2004, 10:26:00 »

@ Koldar: Well, that sounds sensible to me - I think it would be the best solution too; mature forests of untouched 'old-growth' wood, huge trees, plenty of undergrowth and vegetation = elven territory - while the younger forests are harvested by humans at a rate which is sustainable (assuming our Santharian peasants will be ecologically sensitive enough to do some replanting and simple forestry...:lol   ).

However, I'd still think adding some specifically named 'human' forests to the map would be a good idea, especially for the benefit of our Resources section.  If we give Cavthan a huge papermaking industry, the pulp has to come from somewhere... it would be nice to be able to see and say where.  Is that too difficult to do at this point, or can Art just copy and paste another bunch of trees into a few empty spaces - especially in the close-up region maps which he says he wants to do?

BTW:  12% sounds dreadfully barren!  But then again I live in Canada, which is hugely forested... have to go look at the percentages.  Does 12 % still provide Germany with her own wood, or do you import from the Scandinavian regions/Canada/etc.and reserve the forests you have as ecological preserves?

@ Talia - actually I don't think we have any elves in the Mithrals - it's the dwarves who don't like humans venturing too high up into their territory.  So I would say the slopes and foothills of the Mithrals, especially on the western side by Marcogg, are forested and used by humans, while the higher, more remote areas which are less accessible anyhow are considered dwarven territory.  That means our Marcoggians aren't tempted to touch the Auturian for their wood needs... :b  

Edited by: Bard Judith at: 4/25/04 18:29

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2004, 01:14:00 »

LOL, Judith, you misunderstood me.
The big forests now on the site=elven forests

Other forests are described on the site, but don't show - like the woods in the Mithrals - you described them, but they are not on the map (I don't count these few surrogate trees as a wood)

Nowadays we have a lot more wood in Germany, see here, but I think what Koldar meant, there was pretty little wood in Germany in the middleages. All was used for farming, I suppose.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 4/26/04 9:17

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2004, 09:51:00 »

Now one can argue whose numbers are more correct. I heard these 12% just as a general number in conjunction that it is the average for Europe and that Ireland in comparison only has 5% due to great deforestation.

edit: don't get me wrong, I mean I don't know how these people counted these forests and what they called forest so the numbers can greatly differ depending on how these guys decided to accumulate their numbers.

In the Middle Ages there was even more woods in Germany. From the early Middle Ages on Germany was occupied for centuries to settle its own territory which was in great parts wild forests.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Edited by: Koldar Mondrakken at: 4/27/04 14:56
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2004, 13:52:00 »

Yup, it was intended as was already mentioned: Only the really huge forests can be seen on the main map, just like only the most important towns can be seen and no villages etc. Here and there there are already references which aren't really shown on the map, like e.g. the Maehetilon at the Elvenfall story.

I'll add more forests here and there at larger maps, yup.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 77
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 73
Total: 73

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!