Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Winter Solstice?  (Read 1797 times)
Erian Melor

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 21 January 2006, 03:45:00 »

I'm working on my cave trolls (I know, I've procrastinated with this entry for months!:x ), and I need to know whether or not there is a winter solstice in the world of Caelereth. After having done some research, I've learned that the winter solstice occurs when one particular hemisphere is farthest from the sun due to the tilt of the earth's axis. Since Caelereth is a flat disc, I'm not sure if a winter (or summer) solstice is possible. Only a few entries mention the solstice and on the off chance they're outdated, I thought it best if I asked first. By the way, if anyone's interested in how this will relate to the cave trolls, I have an idea for one of their festivals where they celebrate the longest night and attempt to halt the arrival of the sun (as nocturnal creatures they're not particularly fond of sunlight;) ).

Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea.

J.R.R. Tolkien - "The Hobbit"

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2006, 05:01:00 »

I will answer this later, see also the thread of Irid in the Library (fourteen days to yearturn)

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Erian Melor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2006, 18:14:00 »

If I've read the posts right (and there's no guarantee that I have), then the days and nights of Caelereth are the same length no matter the season. *sighs* You're cutting my legs out from under me!:x  A festival that occurs on the longest night of the year would be perfect for cave trolls. Is there any possible way for there to be a longest night? Or do I need a new idea?:confused  

Roads go ever ever on,

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2006, 18:21:00 »

It would not be the longest night, but the evening where the sun sets in the southernmost point, or rises in the southernmost point possible. (east and west) On this day, the *curses at the dic which doesn't find the word* "Tagbogen" *tries again* : This day is the day, where the sun 's path over the sky in the south is the shortest and the height of this bow is the lowest in the entire year. Comprendo? *sigh*
If you have high mountains, you might not see the sun at all, for she is only quite low  on the southern horizon.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2006, 18:28:00 »

Erian Melor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2006, 01:50:00 »

Talia, you've confused me.:veryconfused  Please, don't try to explain, and no more pictures! They just confuse me even more.:o  Since the trolls themselves would not understand all this talk about the sun's path, I'm fine in that I don't completely understand it.;)

Just explain to me how the sun would appear to a tribe living in the Tandala Highlands. If I read your post correctly (once again, no guarantee that I did), then its quite possible that they would not see the sun on this day and would only see the shadows cast by the mountains, making it the darkest day of the year in the mountains. In which season would such a day occur? And would there be more than one day per year? I'm assuming that the night that follows such a day is normal, if I'm incorrect then please correct me!:p  

Roads go ever ever on,

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2006, 06:07:00 »

And I thought, I have explained it in a way in the model, that everybody should have no problem to follow! That is a blow for me being a learned teacher. How bad must I be! *sigh* Well, maybe it is good, that I didn't teach for the last ten years! ;)

I'll try to tell you what you need later (this evening), Erian.

Pikel
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2006, 14:37:00 »

I understood your words and Your picture Talia, and I explained it too Erian on the IRC. So now he knows

We are the music makers, and we are the Dreamers of Dreams.
- Ode, Arthur O’Shaughnessy

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2006, 16:14:00 »

Thanks!!!!

My apprentice!  :D  

Erian Melor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2006, 05:19:00 »

Alright, I believe I understand about the sun's path now. Allow me to list my assumptions about a day when the sun rises (and sets) farther in the south.

- Such a day would occur near the end of winter and would be the last day before the sun begins to spiral back toward Caelereth.
- As the cave trolls inhabit the northern slopes of the Tandala Highlands (the southern slopes are near human settlements), the mountains would block their view of the sun.
- The day would be incredibly dark, akin to an eclipse (I know eclipses aren't possible, I'm just usinig it as an example), but it would not be nearly as dark as night.
- The day would become even darker as the trolls light immense bonfires whose smoke obscures the already dim light, but it would be fairly bright around the bonfires themselves.

Are any of these correct?:veryconfused  

Roads go ever ever on,

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2006, 15:13:00 »

Well, I don't think, that they actually can determine which day it is, when they don't have a landamrk, because this happens gradually and it will not be as dark as when you have a total eclpise, not even a partial - and it is nothing exceptional.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 74
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 7
Total: 7

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!