Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ximaxian Runes...  (Read 3926 times)
Chronusian
Wandering Wind-Wizard
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile Homepage
« on: 19 February 2006, 02:43:00 »

I had this idea for quite some time now, but since I wandered over to the Bestiary I pushed it under the rug.

My original interest here was magic (hence, Chronusian is a mage), yet I found it utterly confusing to develop. This however, is something related to magic... but in something that I can relate to.

Language.

A runic language created bye Ximaxian mages to encrypt magical documents and to establish themselves in the magical community... even though Ximax is well established already.

The language would only be symbols that represent something else... not an actual alphabet. It would be used in teaching, as I said before, encrypting, and classifying. I'm confident that it's workable, if you are... so what do you think?

'Late? Don't be silly. I arrived just in time for tea.'
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2006, 08:33:00 »

Like kanshi?

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2006, 12:06:00 »

Do you mean kanji, Talia?  

Now, Chronusian, I think you mean to create a cipher or code for the Ximaxians, and not an entire language, right?  That sounds more like what you were describing.  Besides, I doubt that people of that time had enough knowledge to properly create a language, though I have heard of an Australian ceremonial or secret tongue of some sort that looked like it might have had artificial origins.  

But, anyway, if you're proposing a secret writing system for the Ximaxians to use in encrypting stuff, you might want to speak with Bard Judith.  I think she proposed something similar not long ago.  

so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2006, 13:14:00 »

Yes Judith say that the runes or simbols in the watch tower pic could be used to start a code of magic.
I think that we can use them too, because middle age alchemist used simbols that no one that wasn't an alchemist could understand.

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Chronusian
Wandering Wind-Wizard
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2006, 15:06:00 »

Language? Oh noes!
Yes, this would be a simple code of sorts, not an entire language. Lanuages are... complicated.  

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2006, 17:23:00 »

I proposed this concept literally years ago - as a dragon language, when Capher was still around and wanted a language developed for them.  We thought it could take the place of Latin as a 'scholar's tongue' at the time.

The idea was revived, as Orril points out, fairly recently when I spotted fascinating runes on Quellion's Watchtower / Farseer picture.  See the discussion over in the Misc. Forum (I think....)

Sounds very similar to what you're suggesting, Chronusian, so I'm all for having the concept developed!  Tying a special 'font' / symbolic language into magic and alchemy works very well IMO.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2006, 18:56:00 »

Me too, I want to make a special simbol code.
P.S Do we must do it a Font for computers? I don't know how to make fonts

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2006, 20:36:00 »

I know some about cyphers and codes and the like, btw, if such knowledge be needed.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2006, 15:20:00 »

Well, as the official magical language Styrásh has been established, it's the Latin of Santharia. What would desperately be need is a system on the formulas.

The language we see at the Ximax tower would be different from Styrásh, and would be some sort of arcane magical script, used primarily at sigils and glyphs of the War of the Chosen time and afterwards. So this would be different from the Styrásh, nevertheless, a system would be needed here as well, and a proper way to present it on the site.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2006, 19:30:00 »

I have a question, The formuls discution is in the members moot?

Chronusian
Wandering Wind-Wizard
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2006, 02:37:00 »

I was thinking something along the lines of glyphs and whatnot...

But I have come across a problem in implementing the idea...
What I have been trying to do is create the symbols using Photoshop... but then the only way I could present them is to post very many pictures, and that would be rather... spammy...

So... either I must ask assistance from one who would know how to create a font, or I could come up with an image depicting all of them at once... with an individual explanation for each one.

Thoughts? And also... should this be moved to the magic forum or continued here?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2006, 05:22:00 »

@Orril: Why would the formula discussion take place in the Members Moot Forum???

@Chronusian: You can send me Photoshop pictures which I can put up on the Forum. I personally don't know how you'd properly want to implement that into a font, though, because glyphs and sigils and the like usually aren't directly related to specific letters, but represent some sort of formula or a part of it. Never made a font myself, though. I'm also not sure where you're actually heading with your idea, if you don't know how to realize it properly, - as that's what it is basically about to have a use for it: concept and proper realization. The idea alone doesn't suffice.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 2/22/06 12:23

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 23 February 2006, 10:43:00 »

I can make fonts, but I really wouldn't want to see this as a font; as Art points out, there would be almost no practical 'use' for it.

We already have Styrash as a separate font - not to mention ThergerimTaal - which add character but are rarely 'used' in writing and creating entries otherwise (as fonts, not as languages) because of the difficulty in deciphering it.  In fact, I doubt if anyone,  including the creators of the fonts, can actually 'read' styrash or taal!  (Speaking them is of course another matter - I frequently swear in dwarven at home...)

What would work is a single picture or graphic which shows a number (doesn't even have to be comprehensive) of the runes with a 'translation' behind each.  A parchment background, the runes hand-written, and then a student's scrawled notes on what each rune signifies... something like that.  That parchment then becomes a reference for our artists, and they can 'borrow'/'copy' the runes for use on pendants, artifacts, garment embroidery, etc.  I think that's really all we would need.   The starting point for the runes would be Quellion's watchtower picture - simply copy individual shapes, assign some possible meanings, and list them out.  Then create the graphic form of the list.  I could do it myself if there's any further interest in the project.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 23 February 2006, 15:18:00 »

I guess we could indeed keep the meaning of  the runes ambivalent or mysterious to a certain degree - that's what makes these runes interesting and arcane. Wouldn't make them that mysterious if we'd have all the answers right away. However, they'd need to have certain similar forms, fit to the site in style and have a background story/concept to it, so that we can make an entry, explaining all this.

so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 February 2006, 23:59:00 »

First, I think the formula discution is in the Members Moot because I never saw it in the site.

Then, what do you think if this runes are like "the good luck" and "protection" and all that thinks that are sold in mistic and magic markets, so to say, the common people thinks that the runes inscrived in sertain stone or wood will bring them the good luck or protection or money or all that things.
About it's history/story, give me a week and I will have something good about them.

Thanks for your atention.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 74
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!