Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I have a question.  (Read 2430 times)
Gloin Taa Hedth

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 21 April 2006, 18:30:00 »

I'm thinking about doing a walking flower that shoots poisonous thorns, is there allready something like it? And would this be classified as a plant or animal?

PS Isnt bestiary spelled wrong? Isnt it beAstiary? just wondering

Possible Future Santharian Writer

Kareesh Valendar
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2006, 21:25:00 »

I'm thinking that it would be classified as a plant, not quite sure about that. I think that it would be a plant. :nod  

Shall I end this haunting nightmare for you?

Visit the world of Ardua

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2006, 09:40:00 »

It most certainly classifies as a plant if the thorn-shooting is reflexive in some way.... if the plant has some  basic 'intelligence', making it able to choose when and where to shoot the spines, it might be classified as a sentient plant in the bestiary, but i advise against writing this.

-Words to Worlds-

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2006, 11:04:00 »

In fact it's "Bestiary", not "Beastiary" - ask your English teacher why this is so;)

Walking flower: We should be aware that we don't get too fantastical in our designs, but still keep a decent fantasy flair in everything we develop. Don't know how the entry would look like precisely, but a walking flower perhaps is too fantastical. *imagines a story that starts with* "Once upon a time a young boy walked into town when a flower walked by and spit on him..." 8o

Could be a beast, though, that has similarities with a flower and therefore bear such a strange "nickname", but I don't know the details yet.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2006, 11:26:00 »

*gasps* i cant believe i missed the word 'Walking' in your idea!

My comments still stand, but only to immobile versions.. having it walk would either make it a verry rare and magical being, perhaps even void-born, or a beast with odd shape and camouflage.

-Words to Worlds-

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Gloin Taa Hedth

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2006, 12:49:00 »

ok so it was a bad idea, I undrstand, and i will ask my teacher

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2006, 12:58:00 »

Well if you remove the walking bit, and make it rooted in one place like other plants, it's a quite workable idea, and something i'd think you could start working on.

-Words to Worlds-

Avrah Kehabhra

xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2006, 13:36:00 »

I like this idea. If you want something simmillar in nature look at a crinoid, they are marine animals that look like a flower. For them to have poison if they were on land makes sense because they don't move very fast. One major thing you would have to change if you use crinoids as an example though is how they get their food filter feeders wont work to well on land.

Gloin Taa Hedth

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2006, 18:47:00 »

ok, yeah, that sounds good

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2006, 21:33:00 »

Why poison?  (sigh...)

Are you aware of just how many poisonous plants we have?  There are more than a few other options for a plant to 'protect' itself, you know, whether you are working with the theory of evolution or of intelligent design.   Here you have the chance to make it 'intelligent design' ;)   so please do so!  

What's wrong with ordinary thorns?  Or thorns that have minute holes in them (which just happen to be useful as sewing needles for humans, etc.)?  Or thorns that also contain the plant's seeds, so that when embedded in an animal or other mobile being, they are distributed more widely?  Stinging 'spicules' or barbs which break off at the slightest brush (like raspberry canes)?  

How about leaves which RESEMBLE a poisonous insect or moth?  Leaves which secret a sticky substance which would gum up a potential small predator's mouth?  Twigs which sprout so closely from the central stalk that a large animal can't get its teeth into the plant?  

And once you've decided on the protective system, just what is so important about this plant that requires it?  Shouldn't that be your primary reason for designing it?  What fruit, seed, tuber, blade, spice, sap, or other product does it hold that necessitates this formidable protection?  

Forgive the great number of questions, but perhaps they may inspire you to branch out (oh, sorry, that was a deliberate pun) and find your own unique answers.   Let us see what your imagination holds, Gloin, and we can all look to the future together!

Regards from the bard,
Judith

Edited by: Bard Judith  at: 4/22/06 5:34

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 25 April 2006, 20:50:00 »

Er... did I scare him away?  

:crazy  (makes a wry face and creeps quietly out of the room)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2006, 01:04:00 »

No , Judy, if so, then I did it already, I applied already in the welcome-thread the "let's see what he can take " and he responded well! He might just consider your load of proposals...

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]