Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Nyermersys Town Map (Finished)  (Read 3438 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 09 August 2001, 09:56:00 »

I'm very proud to present you the final version of Koldar's Map of Nyermersys - more than half a year in the making, but obviously worth the long wait! Great work, Koldar! The final adjustments all turned out fantastic! I guess the river banks also look very good now, the longer shadows of the higher walls/hills look very real! Well, and the general look and feel is tremendous!! I guess it couldn't have been done any better than this. I've desperately tried to find something not so good, but miserably failed... *grin*

Hmmm... Maybe a denotation thing:The mountains to the north are called "Heights of Charkas" and the SE part of Nyermersys is called "Charka" too. Is there a connection between these two (they're a bit far away from each other) or was this co-incidence?

Well, and here it is, so that you can take a look at it:

For all those who are new: This is the smallest version of a really huge map we will put up on the site, where you can view certain districts with street names, short descriptions etc. We'll see how this will turn out in the end, but I guess it will be a fantastic addition to the site. Many thanx, Koldar, for this map masterpiece!

BTW: Koldar also mailed me a newer version of the Santharian Coat of Arms and the Nyermersys CoA. I'll upload these too in order to receive comments...  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Drogo
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2001, 10:21:00 »

Koldar, you are an artistic genius.  I love the map and think that this is a great addition.  This could be a new wave of maps here.  I already want to do them, even though I don't have a town to do it with yet, :)  .  I talked to Art and he told me the large version has districts and everything.  I'm impressed.  It was well worth the work.  Thx for such a great addition Koldar.

Winlok
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2001, 12:06:00 »

The maps on this sight are pretty good. The 3d affects, really hightlight them.

The colored version of the Myth map was awesome. This blows you away. You are truly amazing Koldar.

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2001, 13:10:00 »

*blinks*
*blinks more*

W-w-ww-wwowww...

*is hit with dumbness*

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2001, 14:57:00 »

Thanks for the compliments! Finally some praise after such a long time of work! ;)  Two closeups are already finished (I hope so!) but can need some review, I think, esspecially in streetnames.

Concerning the "Charka"-similarity, I did it by intention but now realize that it don't look that good. Changing the names of the 'Woods' in the North and the 'Heights' might be a good thing. These names are too similar.

What should I do about the two closeups, Art? One is about 4 MB, the other about 7MB big and I've merged everything possible already! Compressing will reduce the size by about 20%, but more just isn't possible. Should I send it one by one(so your Mailbox doesn't get overcrowded) or can I send it as a package? (~11 MB)
The other closeups will be even bigger, I'm afraid, as the big districts(Merchant's village and the Southern City) have much detail and many, many more streets. Hope you can handle that, Art!

I'm also currently collecting the techniques and effects I used to make this map as Photoshop-Styles. While I fear everyone interested must rearrange these effects according to the dimensions he's using for his map, they might be very helpful for doing city maps with similar results.
When ready I might send them as well ready for download?

I was very tired today. I worked from 8.00 pm till 5.00 am on several things, including these first sections of the map but I think it was worth the effort!
Now there are only four/five more closeups, Nybelmar, Wernam, Loreney,... *heads off making a very long ToDoList*

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2001, 15:31:00 »

Yeah, we have 3 Charka-like things on the map, 2 of them should be changed, I guess. Just give me some other names and I can change it on my PSD version so that you don't have to send another mail.

Concerning the close-ups: I'd propose to ZIP the 4 MB thing and mail it, I'll take a look how we will use it exactly, then we'll see further.

BTW: Still can't stop staring at the map!!

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 8/8/01 10:55:04 pm

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Winlok
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2001, 16:07:00 »

I just found it now, and it seems to work pretty good. This site has it. gif and jpg cruncher.

Put your map (gif or jpg) on your disk drive, and crunch them smaller. If gives you different levels of compression, so you can see if its to much or to little. Read the instructions and save it with a .gif or .jpg ending. Hope that it is useful. Its free. They haven't bothered me yet, course you really can't do much in minutes.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2001, 04:16:00 »

You got us wrong here, Winlok! Photoshop has all compression tools integrated for JPG and GIF, but we need to transfer huge PSD files (Photoshop sources) with all its layers etc. Therefore zipping the files is the only solution as the original size of the file has to remain 4 MB if I restore it!

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2001, 07:02:00 »

Recognized that the "Road to the Tandalas"-layer has the wrong opacity. It should look like all the other road descriptions..

Checking the map of Vardynn/Nermeran I think the woods to the North can be already called the "Woods of Calmarios"

The "Heights of Charkas" can be renamed to "Heights of Seargorn"

Well, that's it for now. I will send you the closeup of the Harbordistrict today!

Winlok
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2001, 09:27:00 »

I missunderstood. I'm sorry. What I was thinking was in the final version. The one that you will actually put on the website. I used it, and reduced the size by 50% with clarity intact. So if you were concerned about disk space, you could take a 150, and crunch it down to a 75. However compressing a PSD file is a different story altogether. I have used Photo Shop before, so I know what you mean. My buddy has it, I have the poor mans version...PSP.

Seriously though doesn'y winzip, allow different compressions?

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2001, 10:24:00 »

I use WinRar. The problem is that Graphics are difficult to compress. I'm quite happy to size it down by 20%(highest possible compression) so saving Info on layers and text and so on. The Map itsself is a pure bitmap-layer (475x475). I guess this is the lower limit of compression because you can't get around this.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2001, 12:36:00 »

You can also mail everything compressed with WinRar, no problem. I also have ADSL, so I don't really mind if you mail huge files. Just try to keep them below 5 MB if possible and send them one by one (each day only 1 cause Yahoo can only deal with 9 MB or so, I guess).

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2001, 12:42:00 »

Ok, I guess then my tiny ISDN-connection will be the problem? ;)

Winlok
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 August 2001, 14:51:00 »

You could slice them up into smaller files, if big files are the problem. Art can then splice them back together again, on his end.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 August 2001, 06:01:00 »

Did you receive the first package intact, Art? (harbordistrict)

I tried to send the second one but your mailbox was full, I guess.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]