Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Nybelmar general outline of the East  (Read 1797 times)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 15 February 2002, 06:56:00 »

While I'm hard-working on the map I think I should start to post the general ideas about the continent. I already scared away Uragel(;)     ) because of the tons of detail that _seem_ to be in there but that are only my ideas to get an image of the regions I do in the map and get some names for them.

I really don't have more than these general ideas which can be changed as well when fitting new ones into the concept. I'm looking at completely from the Aca-Santherra point of view and so had to invent some neighbors and circumstances! :)      

I'll post a map of eastern Nybelmar when it is finished to give you a better impression of the surroundings... western Nybelmar will follow then.

Ok, here's the start. In the end this should/might become the general entry on Nybelmar:

The Continent of Nybelmar

Here's a link to the current version of eastern Nybelmar with the theoretical borders of Aca-Santerra, Korweyn, Anis-Anpagan and Loreney(not pinned down) As you can see there are still various white spots but it helps to get a general impression... to Eastern Nybelmar

Westernmost continent in Aér'aí'chán, often refered to as the "Lands of the Mystical West". Azan Melakh Dorim of Thalambath describes the discovery of the continent by Sarvonian sailors as follows:

"Strata [the southernmost Sarvonian realm] ruled the Sarvonian seas for centuries before noticing an even stronger and superior power at the edge of the world. After several expeditions failed some brave sailors reached the Ferrath-islands, meaning "the foggy realms" in santerran noble tongue or "Nybelmar" in Santharian. The wild and stormy ocean surrounding these islands is the most cruel water you may sail on but the ports are one of the most valueable harbors Stratanian ships ever entered. Ships which make it through the stormy sea may bring goods from unkown lands, uncompareable spice, precious stones, gold, silver, formed to beautiful sculptures or sharp blades.

The first Stratanians thought that the islands they discovered were only one big peninsula of another continent but now I can confirm, they were wrong. The archipelago from which these islands are the most northeastern part leads several thousand miles to the west and south. And beyond that another thousand miles I got word of an even bigger continent full of wonders and secrets..."

-- Azan Melakh Dorim, archivist of the library of Thalambath at the dawn of the third Stratanian expedition.

As reported by the brave Archivar of Thalambath who joined the third expedition of Strata a vast ocean, the Aetryam Sea, divides the two landmasses, Sarvonia and Nybelmar. Nybelmar is the smaller landmass, hardly as huge as Santharia, but nevertheless a rich and diversive continent.

A huge mountain range splits this continent nearly into two halves: the enormous Zsharkanian Peaks, also called the "Halls of the Giants". The West is yet nearly unknown even to the nations of the East.

Regions of the East.

The Human Realms:
The humans are the dominant race of Eastern Nybelmar. They settle on the coast and plains of the south forming several kingdoms.

Aca-Santherra. The Santherran kingdom is the best-known kingdom to Santharia. Their merchantships sail reach any coasts and their navy is known to be most formidable on the High Seas. Their sailors sail any known ocean and made this nation a trade empire that made contact with nearly any other continent.
The Santherran territory lies mainly on the islands off the eastern coasts of Nybelmar but in years of expansion they took land on the continent as well. Their southern border is the Jerrah, to the North the Dark hills are their most northern region, they never set foot on the mountains that lie to the north and surround a big peninsula only called "the Circle." The western border end somewhere in the vast plains North of the first outskirts of the "Emerald Woods".

Korweyn, the Empire of. The Empire of Korweyn is the biggest nation of Nybelmar. The Old Empire once ruled most of the East and South but even after its Fall and the Rise of the New Empire its territory stayed enormous compared to others. Korweyn is split into three vice kingdoms and the core empire.
Its eastern border is the Jerrah, the northern the Emerald Woods. The western border reaches beyond the Sohol mountains to the Brratakas mountains. They control the huge islands to the south of their coast, a ressource for slaves, raw materials and soldiers, exploited to satisfy the needs of this huge nation.

Anis-Anpagan. This small kingdom lies nearly surrounded on the peninsula south of the Brratakas mountains. Its biggest concern is the power of Korweyn but nevertheless it has become a decent seafaring nation even under the restricting influence of its powerful neighbor.

Loreney. This kingdom is a loose confederation of human settlements, cities and tribes located to the North west of the Greenfields. Under this circumstance the people of Loreney were always under the pressure of the Orc tribes from the Green Fields. Living in a particular fertile place of teh Nybelmarian North they also suffered a lot under the powerplays of Aca-Santherra and R'unor who fought for the bigger influence on the only kingdom that far north...
(only short summary on planned history on Loreney)

The Elven Realms:
This noble folk lives mostly in the deep forests of the Emerald Woods and most of the time stay for themselves. Others are located in the forests to the north or even as nomads on the plains between the Emerald Woods and the Zsharkanian Peaks.

The Emerald Woods. In the Emerald Woods lives a huge and powerful elven empire. Despite periodical trade contacts with Korweyn and Aca-Santherra they stay for themselves hiding their cities and hamlets within the vastness of the jungles of the Emerald Woods.
In later times the empire will shrink and split up into several tribes splitting up the woods among them. Southernmost tribes even merge into the empire of Korweyn for the assisstance of this humans...

The Northern Woods. Not as noble but also not as mythical these elves inhabit the woods north of the Zsharkanian Peaks and east of Loreney.

The Elves of the Plains. These elves live as nomasds on the plains. They often wander between the Emerald woods and the northern forests under harsh conditions forced to share their territory with Orcs and other wild creatures.

The Dwarven Realms:
The Dwarves always inhabitated the mountain ranges of the continent. Their cities are mainly located in the Zsharkanian Peaks and in the mountains north of the Emerald Woods. Some clans of this race also settled north in the terriory of Loreney. With their valuable goods they're the only race willing to take the risks by travelling through the dangerous interior of this continent.

The Orc territories:
The numerous Orc clans inhabit the Green plains and sometimes wander even deeper into the continent. Several times when the clans united for a certain goal they waged terrible wars against the human kingdom, the elves or the dwarves which got known as the "Orcstorms" bringing havoc to the civilized realms of Nybelmar.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster ;)--

Edited by: Koldar Mondrakken at: 3/7/02 8:57:04 am
Drogo
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2002, 07:08:00 »

Great, like it so far.  Especially the journal entry from the captain.  looking forward to seeing your updates on it, and seeing what you and Anaea are cooking up.

Drogo Lord of the North and Places Supervisor May Helvet bring courage to your blade, and Teimor grant death to your enemies

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2002, 04:52:00 »

When are you doing all this stuff? Don't you have nothing else to do???

Als Gott den Mann schuf übte sie nur.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2002, 11:30:00 »

btw: Where's Anaea? ANAEA!! HAve a first look!

Anaea the Marked

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 March 2002, 19:39:00 »

WHAT??!!! i missed out on this?!  
hmm.. must have been during my midterm stress-out period.. :lol

wow- looks great!! :grins brightly at Koldar: which peice can i have?  

"Popai n'o sonko ligta luc for'is a ment'ik, popai o sonko lighta lac o mart."
Sor'inyt saying - "Ask not why the sun sets, but why it rises."

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2002, 20:47:00 »

Well, in general I try to concentrate on Aca-Santerra and its history, so the easternmost part of Nybelmar. That is the main reason why I already pinned down the borders of its neighbors as well, to have something to work with but there's only little developed on this one.

I try to add a named map asap and maybe have a look at the history section as well if you have some ideas on the general history of Nybelmar.

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 March 2002, 11:09:00 »

Say is there any are where the Eyelians came from?  Probably the orc area that would give them the good excuse to leave instead of just being persecuted by the Acta's.  Though the reason they live in the orcs area was because that wes the only place they could without being persecuted.

Just some ideas.

Capher, Tribes and Races Supervisor Moderator.Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 March 2002, 12:04:00 »

Well, the Green Fields might be a place or farther north where Loreney will one day. This kingdom might be rather young and as said a confederation of tribes and towns.

Other place would be south at the coasts of Korweyn or in the hills there and they fled because of the breakdown of the old empire or because the empire disliked their habits...

Still much to do. Just tell me what you think is most probable...

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 March 2002, 12:28:00 »

I like the green fields area.  I like the name too.  It goes well with their belief in nature and such.

Capher, Tribes and Races Supervisor Moderator.Wisdom is given to those whom it knows.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 March 2002, 12:30:00 »

So, only missing is the when and why, eh?

Just to keep you informed: I'm still working on the map and I'm progressing well with the eastern part, however my comp decided that hard work is bad and deleted my most recent progress! I love it when he does that! *sharpening his axe*

Well, I'll try harder! ;)  

Edited by: Koldar Mondrakken at: 3/9/02 6:32:54 pm
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]