Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Netherworld/Melor'ai'chan  (Read 2345 times)
Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 20 February 2002, 22:59:00 »

Alright, let's see how this one works out. Let there be Shadow!

Intro
The Netherworld is the realm on the other side of Sorren, the twisted mockery of Coor the Shadow. The Netherworld, or "Shadow of All" in Styrásh, is the home of all the dark creations of the Shadow, from the fearsome and mindless Netherbeasts to the terrifying abominations known as Chasm Demons. The only thing stopping these horrific beasts from entering Sorren is a sheild of power maintained by the Twelve Gods. However, it has one weakness; it only works one way. (For further information, see Deep Winds Portal)

According to the clerics of the Twelve, the Netherworld rests some seven kilopeds beneath the surface of Aer'ai'chan, while the sheild is located halfway that deep. It is the same size as Sorren, but while the thoughts of Ava border Aer'ai'chan, the Netherworld is surrounded by the dark being of Coor.

Coat of Arms
While no official coat of arms is known to exist, some of the survivors of the final battle of Osthemangar claim that the unholy guard of the Portal bore dark red armor with the black bolt of Coor emblazoned on it.

General Description
The Netherworld, as is implied by its Elvish name, Melor'ai'chan, is the shadow of all things. What little is known of its geography was collected by the Archmage Quagoth Tunta, the Archmagus of Shadow at Ximax during SWIII. The following is an excerpt from his account at the end of the battle, when he was captured by a detachment of war magi.
   ...The half-world was desolate, twisted, or destroyed, take your pick. All the buildings that I saw were burnt, razed, and otherwise devastated. From the shattered courts of Santhala, to the melted spires of Ximax, to the unholy monuments replacing temples to the Gods. The Elven forests were burnt to the ground, and tortured spirits were all that lived there. The mountains and caverns of the Dwarves were home to beasts beyond my most terrible nightmares. All the world, a plaything for... HIM! Tarquol, Tsalba, Gurrmal-dokur...   [Quagoth grows frantic, and begins shouting out incoherent words. Our best efforts to calm him were met with no success. After approximately ten minutes, he calms enough to speak again.] And worst of all were the graveyards, the battlesites. The dead, clawing their way out of their eternal slumber to rise and serve the Dark One. From every place, they marched north, ever north, to this accursed portal. This... [he points in the direction of the black tower]  is but a pale shadow of its unholy majesty. It is every castle, every fortress, every kingdom that has ever fallen, dwarfing them in its blasphemous grandeur. [He shudders.]  Blasphemy, aye. Blasphemy the whole world. Not a single aspect of that... place failed to taunt at least one of the gods. Grothar ignored, the omnipresent heat of death everywhere. Healing or Peace, none to be found save the healing of ending, the peace of the grave, and even those in short supply. Death a mockery, with Coor's will animating the bones of those Queprur has long kept. Hunt, only the craving for a final death, for either you or your enemies. And the things made in that land.. [He gives one bark of laughter.]  ..you have already seen. The swords of bone, time-scarred sheilds, and worst his Golems, creatures perverting the world with their very existence.
The seas, the seas were dried and barren, with only an occasional ghostly ship sailing on a wind long since dead, on a sea never made. A harvest, none but pain. Destiny; only one. That which He had in store for you. [He turns to look up] But I see You fixed that, eh?
[He returns to his narrative]  
War, that there was, but one fought with the deserving dead. the honored fallen of other battles. Desire, none but to avoid pain. And of Fire, only the unearthly heat of His will, not the fires of the Injera or the campfire one could warm ones hands around.

Quagoth also revealed these facts to the Ximaxians, who felt the need to give the information wide dispersal.
Places of Notice
Black Tower of Ximax: The only structure that was not in some way twisted, this was one focus and source of Coor's dark powers; however, much of the force here gathered was counteracted by the pale influence of the White Tower and the Orb of Ximax.   Optional: Quagoth thought that this might mean Ximax, or some similar place, was repeated in perhaps hundreds of different worlds, with the same forces held in check by the stone sentinels of whomever controlled the area; the Seven Schools have yet to confirm or deny this.
Castles of the Damned: According to Quagoth, every castle or fortress was replaced by some pitiful mockery of itself, sorces of corruption and pestilence. It is thought that the denizens of these tortured halls can only acheive peace by bringing their terrible state to their counterparts, and these palaces somehow manage to thin the Sheild.
Osthemangar: Where the Deep Winds Portal stood on Sorren, Osthemangar stands in the Netherworld. An unholy monument to chaos, corruption, and terror, Osthemangar was described by Quagoth as "a masterwork of evil, a symphony of nightmares, the darkest, festering hole of shadows in the entire benighted land." According to his none-too-coherent accounts, the palace was made of fortressess upon fortressess, towers used as bricks, the greatest castles of Santharia mere ornaments upon its wretched glory.

Mythology
The Netherworld's place in Santharian mythology is a great and complex one. According to the Dwarves, the Netherworld is the one flawed creation of TorumBaroll. According to the humans, it is the realm of Queprur's deadly hold. According to the elves, of course, it is the resting place of Coor, and the Ximaxians have confirmed this. On one thing all tales agree; the Netherworld is the home to all the chaotic, evil spirits that we most primally fear and dread, and only the constant efforts of the gods keep these forces at bay. Woe to any who should disturb these works.
However, some elven philosophers have wondered why a Netherworld should even exist. Why would the embodiment of Chaos seek to bring order to a place, even such a twisted order as that of Melor'ai'chan? One of the High Clerics of Ava, an elf by the name of Oh'soor (Light-speaking) once spoke on this matter; the date is unknown.
It is another of the places where the High blur. The Shadow's desire to destroy, the Light's desire to create, here they have achieved a seperate balance than that of our world. Here, the Creation is key. Though we may destroy, Creation is the eternal victor, as is seen in all life, ever expanding, ever honoring the Dream of Dreams. However, Below, Destruction reigns. Though His creations war not amongst themselves, thus serving Creation, they are united only by their hatred of us, of the continuing Dream, of their own hideous existence. Their urge to Destroy guides them. So it can be seen that there can be no place where one of the High truly rules. If the Creator had supreme reign, the world would be so vast as to be destroyed instantly by its own complexity. If the Destroyer had supreme reign, such a place would be destroyed in it's very creation. Therefore, all worlds can only exist if the High are in some balance with each other.

Ahem, that's the third[/u[ draft, thoug

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Tower of Ximax (c.a. 5 B.S), Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead spraypainted ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride
Owner of the longest sig in Santharia
And it's still growing....

Edited by: Xarl at: 3/11/02 5:29:25 am
Tarquet Galbar

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2002, 09:02:00 »

Xarl, the Underworld is the Netherworld. That's whats on the otherside of Sorren, at least I'm pretty sure thats what we decided on. It's just where the demons are and stuff.

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2002, 09:04:00 »

Stupid school computer without editing...

Also, Tam-Rek exist only on the face of Sorren. They aren't part of the Netherworld.

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2002, 19:18:00 »

Mind criticizing my second draft?

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2002, 20:03:00 »

I've looked over it only shortly but: Crimson eye of Coór? Some how an open, red eye sounds familiar to me. Could we use the sign of the Darkwinds or something else instead?

I'm not sure about the Mythology part though I can't point it out, yet. I just wouldn't make something up for Bard Judith's dwarves! ;)  No,, I just have to look at it again tomorrow!

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster ;)--

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2002, 05:19:00 »

I like it quite a bit, especially the entry part from the mage.  Instead of red eye, it was discussed somewhere long ago that a black shard of lightning would be used.  The lightning being symbolic of the bolt that shattered the Tree of Life, and black for chaos.  Also keep in mind one thing, if this is the realm of Coor, it would not necessarily be completely dark and filled with death, demons, etc.  He is the god of chaos.  If it was all uniform in this way it wouldn't be highly chaotic.  Yes I can see a twisted representation of this world.  Perhaps the theory of the scientific and philisophical minds, is that every 7 kilopeds there is another version of the world?  Just some thoughts for ya.

Drogo Lord of the North and Places Supervisor May Helvet bring courage to your blade, and Teimor grant death to your enemies

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2002, 09:47:00 »

I don't think the Black Tower at Ximax should be the 'center of Coor's dark power'. Remember, Wizardly magic is seperated from the Gods. It would basically contradict that.

I'm also a little hesitant about there being an Archmage of Shadow and an Archmage of Light. That's a bit more of a spiritual judgment. But I'll continue that in a more appropriate place.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 March 2002, 20:02:00 »

No, the Black Tower is only one of his sources of power. It's worth about the same as one of the desecrated palaces. While he can draw the power of two palaces from it, he can't work anything through there thanks to the White Tower.
And on there being a Black and White Archmage, Tarq, I made them for the purposes of holding the Orb of Ximax steady. As it is the result of Ava and Coor's struggle against each other, you need to have something to catch and control the overflow energy. While the four Elemental Towers can take most of the average power, and the Five Towers refine it a bit... think of the Black and White Towers as surge protectors. Each is there to stop a blast of power from the orb/other from annihilating all of Xaramon. And of course you need an Archmage to control a tower... Sorry, but despite the semireligious tones on this one, I actually do have a fair defense set up. Plus, do you think that the High Gods wouldn't have some latent influence over the fabric of Sorren?

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
Uh
« Reply #8 on: 14 March 2002, 09:43:00 »

I'm not saying the Gods wouldn't have some influence, but one of the purposes of Ximax should have been to distinguish mages. So they can show that they can be succesful and such, seperate them from the crowd.

If you want balance, maybe it should be the Xeuá and Ecuá, so it reflects magic more than the Gods.

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 March 2002, 23:32:00 »

If that wasn't clear, perhaps I should make it more explicitly so. The White and Black Towers were basically about Xeua and the now-named Ecua... I think I'll make that more clear next update.

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Tower of Ximax (c.a. 5 B.S), Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead spraypainted ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 March 2002, 17:43:00 »

Please and thanks.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 March 2002, 20:13:00 »

Ahem... Placeman Drogo and Cosmic Koldar, thoughts? I think this is ready...

Xarl Bluestride

DrogoKoldar LOOK
« Reply #12 on: 25 March 2002, 18:15:00 »

Mind rendering judgement? It's been waiting a full week...

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 March 2002, 03:18:00 »

Woa, slow down speedy ;)  I put it up for update for last week, it just didn't get put up.  Some other things didn't go up either so don't worry.  I'm sure poor one man army Art will be able to get to it soon.

Drogo Lord of the North and Places Supervisor May Helvet bring courage to your blade, and Teimor grant death to your enemies

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 April 2002, 03:55:00 »

Very very interesting......I like many parts of it....
I would much like to see Art give his philosophical comments on it.....

Brownie Expert

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[21 September 2019, 20:08:43]

[17 September 2019, 22:01:36]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1088
Latest: brayd3n26
Stats
Total Posts: 144685
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 89
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 83
Total: 83

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!