Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Where I will post info on Chrondra  (Read 10464 times)
Feanor the Grey

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 August 2002, 17:15:00 »

Ok, I call the ships Avennorian just to tell who they were, since I want to know stuff about them not their motherland. I know they weren't Avennorians btw.

So you agree that the 700 years war is something not really possible, at least you see it. :D

Okay then, I'll keep in mind the stuff about one ship colonizing an entire kingdom a myth and legend not a fact. As well as some of the stuff following.

And no, I don't mix up the medieval battles and the modern battles. It's just that it's  impossible for such a small place as Avennoria to even think of invading the slaver's country. Because they don't have the manpower, resources and technology to do it. Ok, maybe if they had vastly superior tech, they might win battles with odds of 5-1 against them, but it's not the case.

You say it is difficult to keep an enemy for so long, well, try to keep the economy rolling correctly with a 700 years war, I don't think it's possible. Maybe we should make this as a legend too, but in fact, the 700 year war was more like an underground railroad to free slaves from the Shan Thai (or whatever they are called, lol) Slaver and bring them back home incognito. This would take a very long time indeed, being outnumbered and outgunned, the Avennorians would have used their heads instead of brawn and would have only made small raids in specific locations, but no total war here.
Uh... where was I mean, or not nice Koldar? You got me there. :)  

"The world is big, who knows what is possible and what is hidden in these vast lands."

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 August 2002, 14:30:00 »

To keep the economy running is not so problematic as humans always find a way, but as said without reason the people would not see why they should waste so much time about it...

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Feanor the Grey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 August 2002, 14:59:00 »

yeah

hmm, maybe the underground railroad would be more logical then?

"The world is big, who knows what is possible and what is hidden in these vast lands."

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 August 2002, 15:00:00 »

You know, Feanor, you're wrong. This world doesn't need to be logical or realistic. That's what makes it fun. I agree with Winlok that, while it should be based on logic, it should be illogical. And just saying that Winlok is making a mistake is totally out of line. You are the one making a mistake, Winlok knows what he's talking about.

What's the fun of playing a fantasy game if it's all about realism and logic? Nothing. It's best to break the bounds of what is real to us and what is logical. That's what makes it a real fantasy.

So maybe you should open your mind, stop focusing on 'real' and 'logical'. And instead focus on fantasy.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 8/1/02 10:02:48 pm
Feanor the Grey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 August 2002, 17:48:00 »

hhhh...

Why do i need to repeat myself.

If you don't have logic and realism then.... why do I even bother! it seems some people don't know the necessicity of logic in world building and the difference between realism and reality. Look at J.R.R tolkien, his world was built on logic, not on randomness and things happening just for fun.

What do I know anyways, just a newbie here, don't know anything about worldbuilding at all. sorry, I just said stupid things here that make no sense. A world based on logic, what was I thinking?!?

We wont have that hydra in the staircase chasing some heroes, some pyranas inside a volcanic pool in an artic region, or those twelve dragons that dies from a single finger of death spell. boy! And I would have missed all of those stupid things! What was I thinking.

BTW, do you know what logic means? Because if you knew, you wouldn't say such absurd things.

Edited by: Feanor the Grey at: 8/2/02 12:54:34 am
Feanor the Grey

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 August 2002, 17:51:00 »

To go back to topic and the real subject of this topic.

I've made the map of Chrondra, it should be posted soon in the maps and area topic.

I think there might be a few adjustments to be done, but nothing major. Also, the description of each major buildings and builings of importance should follow the post of the map. :)

Thanks for everyone that has posted ideas and solutions.

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 August 2002, 18:02:00 »

That's the thing, though. Logic isn't a necessity. Yes, there are limitations, but that's so it's more fun for people. But a world where everything is static and totally logical to us isn't all that fun. Yea, there's stuff that makes you say "Whoa! That could never happen!" But that's the great thing, because it is possible here. When that kind of stuff disappears then, imho, it just isn't fun anymore.

You need to learn to suspend disbelief. This is, afterall, fiction. Not everything has to stick to logic.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 8/2/02 1:03:27 am
Feanor the Grey

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 August 2002, 19:44:00 »

see Tarq, you are confused.

You are confusing reality and fantasy and logic.

A game can be fantastic, having thing happen in it that would never happen in reality (or real life if you don't understand) and still be logic.

What you mean is that you don't want the world to be like reality. Because saying that you don't want the world to be logical is drowning yourself deep!

"Tu te calles, mon p'tit gars!", in french we would say, unfortunately, I don't know the equivalent, nothing insulting though, sounds like what I tried to say above. The drowning thing.

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 August 2002, 20:28:00 »

No, I know exactly what I'm saying. Don't treat me like I'm a stupid child.

And, astoundingly, I -really- don't care what you would say in french.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 8/2/02 3:29:33 am
Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 August 2002, 07:49:00 »

Hm... I am digesting your questions and problems with my Avennorian entry.  I will reply to your concerns in a day or so.

In the meantime, I suggest that all concerned take a deep breath, let it out slowly and try not to use discouraging words, but encouraging words.  I believe we can discuss things without coming across as "superior" just because we may have come up with a better way to world build.  I think that if we are willing to listen to each other we can come to an agreeable comprimise that all can live with.

Capher.

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 03 August 2002, 08:59:00 »

Yup, same opinion here, Capher:)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Anaea the Marked

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 August 2002, 09:18:00 »

:hugs Art and Capher:

i KNEW there was a reason i loved you guys...

"If you gave me a choice between a Northern man, a Northern woman, or a Northern rat - I'd have to pick the rat..."
Anaea- on the north in general

Feanor the Grey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 August 2002, 11:13:00 »

Thanks, I'll be waiting for your reply Capher.

Meanwhile, I'll keep focusing on Chrondra and think of new things that might be interesting to put in it or around it.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 03 August 2002, 14:34:00 »

Yup, just collect various information for now, maybe some Avennorian specifics turn up in the course of development, which you then can try to integrate later on in the Avennorian entry with Capher;)

Oh, and Capher: There weren't many changes in Avennoria lately, but I hope you like the new map at the entry and the picture, done by Quellion, which is a part of the Nepris pic:)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 August 2002, 15:03:00 »

Ok, lets see if I can clarify a few things.  First question was: How could a ship sail one year without re-supplying.  Well, you are correct in your assesment it could not.  

However just because I did not say in my entry that they did or did not does not mean they did not.  If you look at the maps you will see many little islands, and even a continent to the east of Sarvonia.  

You assumed just because I said that a year later they grounded their boat on a hidden reef that they had sailed for a year.  I just said "after a year."  I just did not think it was necessary to put in every little detail at the time.  There are many historical events recorded that did not record every little detail.  Though I admit after looking at your detailed world building program, and remembering what Art has always told us about detail, how that program would make our entries richer, clearer and full of flavor.  

Would you be appeased if that section of the entry was changed to include the Avennorians finding land, gathering foods and searching for fresh water before continuing on their journey?

Next concern of yours was: How could a small group of people form an entire kingdom?  Well, whether you believe the Bible or not, a whole world was populated by just two, Adam and Eve.  But to disperse a religious argument, and Heaven knows we have had enough of those in real life lately, lets look at what the entry really said.  It says that after they ran aground they founded a "small settlement"  No where does it mention they built a huge kingdom.  

Their lands and villages which are only four by the way come into existence after a long period of time.  Ciosa was founded in the year 11348 B.S.  Marcogg in the year 10350, and Klinsor and Chrondra between the years of 10000-9800 B.S.  They actually did not become a "kingdom" until the year 9500 B.S. Right at the begining of the war of the chosen.

So if you take 11348 minus 9800 you have what? 1548 years to build a kingdom.  Isn't that enough time?

Now as far as the people are concerned you state that it would be impossible or improbable for such a small group to form such settlements.  Inbreeding would produce genetic malformities, sterilizations, and eventually the population would be killed off.  

I do not know much about such things, and I admit it, however if say twenty five couples survived such a journey at sea, and assuming that out of those couples each has a child during that year.  You could concievably have a population upon arrival and founding of Ciosa of maybe fifty people just giving it small ball park figures.  Because who knows if twins were not born?  Anyway you have fifty people, though 25 are just one year olds, You still have twenty five couples not related to one another growing, having more children, giving in marriage, so forth and so on.  Is it that improbable to grow, or do you really think they would die off?

If it would appease you I could edit the entry and say that twenty five couples left on the ship instead of just saying a group of explorers.  Would that help?

The rest of the questions I will address later.  I would like to hear what you have to say to my answers to these questions first before I continue.

Thanks for your interest in the Avennorian tribe and I hope I helped somewhat.

Anaea-*Hugs* to you too.  Hope to catch you online or email?

Art, yes I noticed the map and kudos to Quellion for the map.  

Capher.

Edited by: Capher at: 8/2/02 10:10:30 pm

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1099
Latest: bllaolsns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 68
Online Ever: 700
(23 January 2020, 20:05:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 64
Total: 64

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)