Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Sharadon  (Read 2380 times)
Viresse
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 28 October 2002, 14:19:00 »

Introduction
The Sharadon is the ancient forest in the province of Brendolan, spanning most of the land just above the Narfost Plain. This massive forest is home to the Maeverhim, the gangly elves that live high in the treetops. The town of Seraia is wrapped within the Sharadon.

Description
The Sharadon is a large forest, trees and brush as far as the eye can see. The Coastal Redwood trees there are ancient and massive, and for the most part, the forest is untouched. The Maeverhim that live here live well above the ground, and so the soil is clean and full of nutrients. The only people that actually enter the ground-level of the Sharadon  will have a difficult time passing through; there are few paths through the tough and thick underbrush. The only entrance to the Maeverhim homes is throygh the Forest city of Seraia.
The forest is full of life; deer and all kinds of wild animals roam free in the land beneath the homes, and the forests' birds and insects enjoy cohabitating with the peaceful Maeverhim.
The houses of the Maeverhim are built around the trees instead of inside them, and they use bridges, ladders, ropes, crawl-lines and tree-hopping to move from one tree to another.
The homes are slightly monochromatic, with green white and blue colors.

The Sharadon is located north of the Narfost Plain, in the province of Brendolan. It spans the width of the continent at this point, which makes it difficult to avoid. But considering the Maeverhim are so friendly, most travellers prefer to visit them rather than ignore them. Antiragon is on the outskirts of the Sharadon, but is not connected to the cities of the Sharadon.

People
The Maeverhim may very well be the kindest tribe of elves known. They enjoy visitors and are very open to new experiences. Some think of them as child-like; as they enjoy games, jokes, stories and are easily amused. They are great traders and cultivators; but can only be encountered in Seraia or in their Maverhim homes.

Coat of Arms
The Maeverhim use a tapestry of symbols rather than a Coat of Arms: The tapestry is a blue triangle, with one point down. The border is of silver and green entwined, with an elegant white bird with feet extended painted in the center. The eye of the bird is that of the rune of Avá. In one foot is a branch of a willow, and the other holds a lightning bolt of Grothar. The Maeverhim enjoy teasing the travellers that visit by asking them what else the bird holds. When they answer incorrectly (as they usually do) they laugh cheerfully and explain that the bird holds the wind in its wings.

Climate
The Sharadon is slightly chilly, as it lies in an isthmus-like location, surrounded by oceans. At the far end of the forests, the scent of the sea is very strong. The coastal fog seeps through the large redwoods, nourishing the abundance of ground foilage. It rains in the Sharadon in the colder months, in quick showers that end as abruptly as they start. When the sun shines, one will still desire to wear a cloak; the winds can be gusty.In fact, the Maeverhim embrace the winds that sweep through the Sharadon, and praise Grothar as a main diety.

Mythology
A tribe of Brownies had passed through the Sharadon floor in 3860 b.S. and quickly moved on. The Maeverhim had entertained themselves from their high homes whe the brownies arrived, dropping sticks and leaves onto the small people in boredom. The Brownies did not like that, and quickly moved on.

Flora
The Coastal Redwood is a massive inhabitant of the Sharadon, and survives well in the crisp, damp enviornment. Nightshimmer vines brighten the forest at night, and vinterberries make tasty snacks for travellers. Arv does grow here, but not in abundance, and too deep in the forest to be harvested. Pines of all kinds love the thick forest. The Maeverhim cultivate all sorts of edible foods in their tree-bound homes, despite the lofty location and unnatural climate. The Maeverhim are master cultivators.

Fauna
All animals seem to love this nearly-untouched forest, thick coverage and and abundance of food and lack of hunters. Insects and birds cohabitate with the Maeverhim, and come and go as they please. Quílly'efér love the enviornment, and through thrading, the foreign Dalor has become an inahbitant of the forest. Rubits also live here, but are difficult to find. Mercato flies also live in and around stagnant pool-collections at the forest floor, but the Maeverhim have garnered a kind of immunity to these flies, ( they do get ill, but do not die of it) as well as living far too high for the insects to be a factor.

Resources
The trees of the Sharadon are abundant with bird and insect life. Silk from the lu'an moth, is spun by the local Elves into a fine yet strong fabric. Many plants are cultivated in the treetops, plants that do not normally grow at that area, but with careful nurturing by the Maeverhim, thrive very well. This creates another unique resource; tourism.

Myth/Lore
*Already stated that...*

History
~Settling at the Sharadon  ca. 12650 b.S.
The Maeverhim ascend higher into the trees, roosting much like the birds they have become familiar with. Their selection makes it difficult for trade and relations, but the Maeverhim manage very well.
~The Time of Wind  ca. 10880 b.S.
In the preceeding 2000 years, the Maeverhim begin to harness the wind to their benefit, inventing self-moving climb ropes, zip-lines, water collectors, and other gadgets that make the lives of the Maeverhim easier.
~The Brownies enter the Sharadon  3860 b.S.
The Maeverhim do not greet the creatures. They wish for the Brownies to leave, and spend much of their free time dropping light items from their high homes onto the ground in the hopes of deterring the brownies from staying.
~Dark elven attack on the Sharadon  110 b.S.
The Maeverhim are attacked by the dark elves led by the Móch'rónn. Their friendliness with Seraia makes them an easy target; one way in, one way out. They are barely able to defend themselves, and 1/3 of the tribe is slaughtered.

Edited by: Viresse  at: 11/5/02 12:25:59 am
Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2002, 16:51:00 »

Tis a gem of a forest...... and a well written entry...

Given their freindly nature d'ya think I can put Severan (see the with the Meavrhim rather than the Anthioullsn entry) Sannhoirhim.......they seem like a better choice now both are developed. He is then moved to Elving when older to be educated.......I can trhash out the details with you at some point, and perhaps you can add it to the tribes history?

Also for flora fauna stuff - err I haven't done it an entry yet, but bejón’efér are Clowen related trees that grow in Santharias southerly forests........You can add these if you wish. Mercarto Flies quite often wander into the Sharadon also - but the Maeverhim have a innate resistance to the nasty elf killing disease that the bugs carry. So that's good. Can't think of much else to add off hand, but then I didn't expect to. You always cover things so well.......

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2002, 00:55:00 »

Well!
Considering the flora and Fauna You've mentioned, I'll plug what I can into it.
As for the First paragraph, and whatnot.
I'm kind of confused.
What is it you're asking?
Changing a Historical fig's Tribe of Origin?
Fine by me.
As long as he fits hwere you're placing him.
I have no worries w/ you Wren.

Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2002, 22:17:00 »

Hey Viresse... I notice you aren't using your sig anymore... that because you couldn't convert it to EzCodes? I can do it for you, if you wish.

- - - - - -
Dasson - Santharia's General Commenter, Developer, and Magic Messenger of Doom.
Contact at cmdrmernik@hotmail.com

The Santharian Dream - Create the Dream. Live the Dream.

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2002, 03:35:00 »

Ya kin!
I thought I could do the EZcodes thing, but I guess I suck.
Uragel had my styrahsh Name on her Klintorth server, but I don't know where it is.
Maybe I'll make my own...
Anyway.
Lemme tinker up a pic.

Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2002, 03:36:00 »

I know the URL, don't worry.

Just need to find one of your previous posts.

- - - - - -

Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2002, 03:44:00 »

Vir... your sig is here.

:)

- - - - - -

Edited by: Dasson at: 10/31/02 9:44:57 am
Wren
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2002, 17:52:00 »

Oh no - no changing of origins required!!!

How can I do this quickly.................

Saban Blackcloack is nastypasty of post SW3 period - enslaves High Ava'rann of elves. Elves don't want Saban as king cos he's a really bad piece of work - and the son of Co'or Melor - always a bad thing for Ava worshippers. Elves elect an Ava'ronn Anthioullsn. He steals Saban's Son; Severan.

Severan can't be hidden with the Quealhoirhim - their cities are too well known, too vunerable. And the High Cirlce fear placing him with the Tethinrhim, in case warrior training brings out an agressive side. So the Meavherim would be a good choice; well removed from Saban, friendly types.

Saban goes down volcano - Severan is important in trying to defeat daddy dearest, and teams up with Eyrin in Arti's Avestoria......

You would simply need to mention in the Tribes history that Severan is raised there, and then is sent to the Zeiphyr later. I will make sure I provide you with appropriate kind of dates.

I need to reread Arti's texts to make sure that fits OK, and then change some details on previous entries too so it might be a while - I was checking that in principle you were OK with the idea

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 02 November 2002, 03:31:00 »

Here's a first sketch from Erelen on what he plans, Viresse, please comment:

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Wren
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 November 2002, 15:23:00 »

Nice - He doesn't fancy doing a few other Elven cities in oh I don't know the Ziephyr or Quallian does he?

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 02 November 2002, 16:49:00 »

Viresse, I have drawn a path (well known) through the forest, if it doesn't suit your description, we have to change it..lets see, if the link works.
here

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Erelen

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 November 2002, 17:10:00 »

haha nice? I think its far from it. Just a view quick things- the perspective is off on the buildings a lil, and that will be changed, also the lettering on the buildings-kinda just forgot about that :)  so it will be there also.

Wren- I can do other cities, if you give me a basic sketch of what you want. But no hurry as this will keep me plenty busy for a while.

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2002, 09:43:00 »

Yeah, this is good.
I hope to see more in the way of homes, though, The Maeverhim are very tight-knit, and there COULD be something similar to a town square in between the larger clusters of homes.

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 November 2002, 19:49:00 »

So!?
Anything else?

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Erelen

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 November 2002, 23:25:00 »

Um any ideas on the leaves? The branches would have to be huge, and your sketch only had random placed shapes :)  So I have to do more houses? *groans* ooookk will just take longer :P After this week I should have some time to start coloring it, but I dunno about a town square.....

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: c4r0lyn18
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 87
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 102
Total: 102

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)