Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Vontron (is it done?)  (Read 1712 times)
Viresse
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 31 January 2003, 02:13:00 »

The Vontron is a small but dense forest in the Xaramon province, small in standards to some of the other forests of Santharia. It faces Cyan Sola bay and is relatively close to Ximax.The Vontron is the home of the Sanhorrhim, elven fishermen who worship Baveras while living among the trees.

Description:
The Vontron is a dense and lush forest. It does not contain many evergreen trees, but the tepid weather allows trees such as the Malus, Eur'oak and Wolf Willow to sustain a long life cycle. These trees as well as the Fragrans and the Urban cluster closely together, at some parts (especially near elven establishments) the forest floor sees only slivers of light between the thick branches and wide leaves of the trees. Where the sun does shine, the abundance of plants on the floor of the Vontron such as the Candlebush and the Rosemint is expansive, but low lying. It rarely comes higher than a fore, whereas the shaded areas recieve only moss growth such as lythien and sou'cald, and small shaded plant foilage like the Arv and the Hanging Horn. Thin picked paths around large bushes and trees are abundant, as if these trails were the veins of the forest. In a sense they are; the living inhabitants use these trails to circulate around the forest. Rarely is there a track as wide as a cart.

Location: The Vontron is located in the Xaramon province, north of the Ximax peninsula. It faces Cyan Sola bay and is in close proximity to the Aerilian lakes.

People:
The Vontron is inhabited by the Sanhorrhim, wood-elves who have a good grasp of water magic and worship Baveras. These elves were once great warriors but after suffering many casualties in the High Wars they became more peaceful and turned to the Sea instead of the lands.
After the High Wars the remaining Goltherrhim moved to the Vontron with the Sanhorrhim and the Goltherrhim no longer exist as tribe.

Coat of Arms:
The Vontron itself has no coat of arms as it is lived in by the Sanhorrhim elves.

Climate: The Vontron is a temperate zone. It stays comfortably warm most of the year. Its close proximity to the ocean makes it a great place to be as the Sun is warm and the breezes that rise from the Bay are refreshingly cool. The air is humid but in the summer months it can get dry. During the winter the Vontron endures weather storms with strong, cold winds and warm rains, but no snow ever falls here.

Mythology:
The Vontron was discovered, on mistake.
The discovery of the Forests was a simple coincidence by the Sanhorrhim tribes. The soon-to-be Sanhorrhim elves left Fa'av'ca'lar after their Goltherrhim brethren by a few years. Planning to meet and reside with them in the massive Goltherlon, the travelling elves became lost along the way and stumbled upon the Vontron. As there were not many Elves in the party, the Vontron seemed the perfect size and the elves did not think of leaving the forest for the Goltherlon. The two tribes related to one another very well and were constantly sending messages and troops to one another across the great expanse that divided them.

Flora:
Malus, Eur'oak and Wolf Willow are abundant in the warm climate in the Vontron. The Fragrans and the Urban are also residents.  The Candlebush and the Rosemint lay thick upon the forest floor and the lythien and sou'cald, cling to the dark areas. Floweing plants like the Arv and the Hanging Horn are abundant; giving the forest a colorful but slightly somber ambience.

Fauna:
Animals of all sorts live within the borders of the Vontron, layered and dense as the trees themselves. Predators are not too common as only the Herin and Mimsy reside here in good numbers. Wild pig are one of the larger animals here but the forest is full of animals such as lizards, rubits and birds.

Resources:
There is a large concentration of trees in the Vontron, so lumber is not a problem.The arv is harvested as well, but not in large abundance. Residnet rubits are harvested for their jewels that adorn much Sanhorrhim jewelry. The warm, moist climate makes fur nearly obsolete for the Elves and is not traded or even harvested.

Myth/Lore:
The forest is said to be visited on a regular basis by Baveras, goddess of the Sea.
A story arises from one of these visits.
It is said that while Baveras looked over her Elves she admired the trees and plants they lived among. Wanting something similar for her lands beneath the surface she took handfuls of sand from the Ocean Floor and sculpted long, rocklike stalks that extended from the grounds. And these sand-trees became the coral reefs that adorn the shores of Cyan Sola bay.

History:
11805 b.S. The Vontron is discovered by the soon to be Sanhorrhim, who were searching for the Goltherlon.
706 b.S. Flight of the Goltherrhim
The dwindling Goltherrhim leave their tainted forest, moving to either Milkengrad or the Vontron.
620 b.S. Founding of O'dél'fóld
O'dél'fóld, a colony for Baveran elf-clerics is founded by Kaelaren the Blessed.

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Edited by: Viresse  at: 2/12/03 2:45:35 am
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2003, 14:57:00 »

A good description, I could really see how it looks there.

Very few things to criticise though:

I would skip the coat of arms, it belongs to the elves, and not the forest.

„Myth/Lore:
There are many stories told by the Sanhorrhim of Baveras coming ashore to greet Elves in theri dreams, but all are unfounded in one way or another.“

Aren‘t other myths , f.e. of creation more founded? somehow this sounds strange to me.
I propose you come up with a nice Baveras myth here! Then we have an additional link in the Baveras entry!

People - how affect they the forest,  houses in there?

Two misspellings, in myth, their dreams
Resources :resident rubits
„the Sanhorrhim were too settled to up and leave and stayed put; the two tribes often acting as one.“??

flora:flowering plants

A myth, Viresse, come on!
Baveras admiring the trees? Maybe you add, that Baveras saw the trees and wanted to have such nice things as well and she let grow the coral reef lying in the Cyon Solo Bay, which looks like big underwater trees in one place?Elaborated however!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2003, 16:09:00 »

Yup, agree with the CoA - towns usually have signs and banners, but usually not forests.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2003, 23:24:00 »

Okay... I'll knock out the CoA.
As for the Myths; I'm sure I can come up with some; I'll gladly swipe that Tree thing, Talia, if'n ya dinnae mind.
Uhm... I guess I myself need to read through it objectively so I'll do so tonight...

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - character descriptions moderator

Curgan
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2003, 14:46:00 »

Forest don't have CoA's but  how about the organized elven society that dwels in it?

BTW, in some of my works i refer to vontron and a king Halraman that fought the Helcrani. Since you know a lot about the Helcrani you might have noticed him. Is he ok with you? And, if you don't like his name, are his acts concerning the Helcrani ok with the general idea of your project?

Curgan

---------------------------------------------------------------

Daring over our power, risking against prudent advice
and hoping when in trouble
(Thucidides)

Daring over power, risking against prudent advise and hoping when in danger.

Thucidides
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2003, 19:39:00 »

I know halmaran.
He's in the Sanhorrhim entries.
But this is the VONTRON and I've been told to stay away from the Tribes when describing forests.

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - Adventures of Sorren Administrator

Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2003, 17:28:00 »

Sorry, I haven't been here sooner, but there is some information on the site about the Vontron that you haven't included.  When I was doing Horth I was reading the history and and ran across a few things.  One I used in the history of Horth.  They were involve in a war and were used to protect the crossing at Ximax.  Here is what I used in the Horth entry.  The date should be correct.

542 b.S.
Elves, coming from their hidden hideout at the Vontron Forest, burn Horth on their way to the crossing at the Land of the Withdrawing Waves.

"In a place like this, the magic is all around you, the trick is to see it."

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2003, 03:08:00 »

Thanx, Thuja, I've added that to the final version:)  

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 2/23/03 9:09:00 am

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2003, 23:06:00 »

So that was Added?
So I don't need to?
*wipes brow*

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - Adventures of Sorren Administrator

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 26 February 2003, 16:03:00 »

Well, I've added the passageThuja mentioned. However, Thuja pointed out after the update that there's more to be added (see this Week's Update thread). So better check again if you can find some more references in this context by searching the Vontron with the Search Engine of the site, Viresse! You'll probably find some more things we should add!

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 February 2003, 18:26:00 »

Ya, you're probably right.
Well, let me peruse the boards and then I'll do some searching.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: c4r0lyn18
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 129
Online Ever: 337
(19 November 2019, 02:38:29)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 93
Total: 93

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)