Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Pest Pillar of Nyermersys  (Read 5461 times)
Viresse
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 March 2003, 00:24:00 »

Wrote the entry.
Perhaps I should write it in the cosmology section so it has better religious detail.  

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - Adventures of Sorren Administrator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 04 March 2003, 15:13:00 »

Thanks for the entry, Viresse. Describing the column without having the picture on which Faugar probably has already started of course is a bit difficult.

Some comments:
- Description: "Only her Clerics saved those that could be when all others turned away or could." - Uhmmm... Don't understand that sentence... Can you perhaps rephrase that?

Would also add some religious details explaining the relation between Queprur and the rats, why Queprur is the rat-queen - I guess this is very well described at the Queprur entry and would fit in here as well.

- Coat of Arms: Do you really think that it is essential for the Column to have the Coat of Arms of Nyermersys description added? Nope, don't think so. It's not directly related.  Same with People, Climate etc.

- Mythology: How about adding to this story for example: Nobody knows when the rats return to worship their Goddess, but whenever people hear strange noises at night, they are superstituous and stay inside, fearing that seeing the rats might bring back the plague. Also it is rumoured that the sudden disappearance of a (night-)watchman (right word?) is related to this strange returning of the rats. Oh, and final idea: It is said that rats which don't leave before the first rays of sun during the "Night of Returning" freeze on the pillar and become part of the monument. Sometimes inhabitants who look at the column regularly may discover a rat being part of the composition they haven't never seen before... Legend or reality? Noone knows...

- History: How time was kept before Santhros - with the Cournanian Calender!

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 3/3/03 9:17:53 pm

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 March 2003, 18:23:00 »

Okeyday.
Will work on it.
You're a slavedriver!
:p  

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - Adventures of Sorren Administrator

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 March 2003, 19:42:00 »

It's a cute picture! ::giggles::

Am I the only one suddenly reminded of Der Mäuseturm? o.o;;

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 05 March 2003, 09:41:00 »

Cute pic, especially the mouse on the top with the sickle(?) in its paws....
Mäuseturm? Yes, but it was/is a real building

Btw, I like Arts idea of an additional mouse now and then and the  people looking for it!

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 March 2003, 12:17:00 »

I added that in, Talia.
As for the tower, thanks! I find it very adorable.
Art finds it too adorable to be on the site so he asked Faugie to paint one up.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 05 March 2003, 15:42:00 »

*haha* Well, especially the rat on the top is sooooooo cute - it would be afraid in such a horrible Death-town as Nyermersys;)  

P.S. As far as I can see some additional Queprur details are still missing, quote from Queprur entry:

"In contradiction to pictures drawn by elves where Queprur in general is a figure which is not depicted in corporal form, human artists very often emphasize the dark side of Queprur when depicting the Goddess. Not only do they give her a face, but they also show the destructive and fearful part, the horror of her very being and the horror she brings upon the world. One such famous image is the picture of the Goddess in rat-form in the Queprur sancturay west of Nyermersys at the Gravehouse of the Plague. The Gravehouse represents a mass grave of all those who died during the Year of the Great Plague in Nyermersys in the fateful year 602 b.S. It is said that it were the rats that brought the Black Death through the sewers to Nyermersys and thus the image of Queprur in rat-form developed in the heads of the artists of this town. Today the rat-picture in the Gravehouse drawn more than thousand years ago still exists, and everytime the pale colors are re-newed at the painting it seems as if the Goddess wants to give a new warning to remember what could happen if she'd decide to exert her enormous powers again..."

Some things here could be extracted to explain the relation between Queprur and rats a bit better;)  

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 3/4/03 9:49:18 pm

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 March 2003, 22:35:00 »

Okay!
Thanks...
I'll rummage through that and slap up what fits; probably add a few notes myself.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 07 March 2003, 15:00:00 »

To Viresse: Yeah, cool. If the changes are possible before this week's update (guess it's not much anymore), then please try adjust it, so that it can be included already in this week's update:)

Now to the picture... Faugar sent me a pencil drawing of the column, see below:

I guess it turned out really great, I knew you'd be the right person for that, and the pic definitely convinces me of that - hope you'll color it, Faugar:D

BTW: In the meantime Viresse described the column a bit and proposed a platform on the ground, which has a statement written on it in various languages on it (Tharian, Thergerim, Styrásh etc.) Hmmm... I guess etching something into the platform (perhaps make it a bit higher?) shouldn't be that much of a problem. Though I'd say that the different texts should be placed on the other possible sides, so that you wouldn't have to put up the Thergerim or Styrásh texts, which we don't know right now:b  The description would need a bit of a rewrite then - or the drawing could be altered a bit in this direction, don't know how difficult that is.

P.S. Faugar also made a new character portrait for himself, now more up to date, see his postings;)  We'll add the new portrait to his entry. Hmm... Maybe we can use the old Faugar pic for another character then?

Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 07 March 2003, 15:32:00 »

about the text - yeah, I think it's possible - I'd need it all written/drawn though - I hope someone can do it for me? If I'd color it, digitally, enlarging the base shoudnt be a problem.
As for my old portrait - yeah, it can be recycled :lol

Only         when you awake, will you know you fell asleep..          

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 07 March 2003, 15:41:00 »

Well, the text would be (slightly corrected version):

"In 1046 CC Queprur took 4500 lives by the Plague of Thevelin. Only Her clerics came and saved those ailing when others turned away. Her touch taught us and in return we honor Her."

I guess your paint program should be capable of adding text (plus effects like bevel & embossed) and making the text quite small so that it fits, or? Or you can leave the space and I'll try to paste it in with Photoshop later, should be no big problem;)  

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 March 2003, 00:42:00 »

No, we don't need to raise the pedastal, I did want it low.
I really dig this pic, Faugar.
If he doesn't want to,and if you allow it, It can go as is.
I LOVE IT!

And Faugar. That new pic looks DEAD on. Awesome.

Edited by: Viresse  at: 3/7/03 6:43:20 am
Faugar
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 08 March 2003, 03:30:00 »

what do you mean about the new pic looking dead on tho?

Only         when you awake, will you know you fell asleep..          

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 March 2003, 20:07:00 »

It really looks like you. At least from what I know. It's good and I like it.

Faugar
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 09 March 2003, 06:49:00 »

hehe, thanks :)  

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: c4r0lyn18
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 86
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 64
Total: 64

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)