Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The Port City of Elsreth, Capital of the Province of Enthronia  (Read 10227 times)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 September 2009, 22:45:31 »

* Hands out sticks for prodding Judith to all and sundry *

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Chronusian
Wandering Wind-Wizard
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 27 September 2009, 00:09:43 »

Changed back to the 'In Progress' maker for now.

Judy, I would love it if you could add an entry on 'Dwarventown' or something similar. I'd imagine that it would be more of a Subsection of the Keep-area, rather than an entire dedicated part of the town, though, so I'm not sure 'Dwarventown' is the best way to describe it.

@Arti, the Eyelian entry suggests that while perhaps a bit primitive, the tribe did settle, and have distinct building types. Maybe not big city, but certainly enough to get a fairly large settlement up and running. It also suggests conflicts with adaptation to Santharian lifestyle. (It's tharianization, right?).

Also, most of the history on the site still refers to Carmalad as the capital of Enthronia. I've accepted that it was once the capital, but was changed to Elsreth after Carmalad was sacked by the Orcs. As for Elsreth becoming a part of Enthronia in the first place, I attributed that to Thar... though I can easily attribute the same to Santhros, if needed. From what's on the site, it seems as if Enthronia's borders were mostly drawn by Thar.

I think that was all of the tough stuff... we can use the same history chart... I'll add the Sacking of Carmalad and the Appointment of Elsreth as the capital to it. I like the fact that Elsreth isn't heavily Caltharianized as the other Enthronian towns. The long history of peace (I couldn't find any instance where Elsreth was attacked) are great building blocks for a strong capital city.

'Late? Don't be silly. I arrived just in time for tea.'
Chronusian
Wandering Wind-Wizard
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 28 September 2009, 16:17:32 »

All ready for comments.

I left certain parts of the entry vague. There's a lot of work to be done on the rest of the province, particularly regarding resources, and the nature of the province of itself.

@ Judy - I haven't made any particualar nod to Dwarven culture in the entry. The Dwarves are most popular within the 'Inner Keep' so if you'd like to make that entry, feel free.

@Arti: Is it possible to change on the site to reflect that Elsreth is the Enthronian capital, not Carmalad. I get teary eyes every time I see it.
« Last Edit: 28 September 2009, 22:55:38 by Chronusian » Logged

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 28 September 2009, 19:57:08 »

Chronusian, I don't have much time - could you please set a link to that history part or just copy/paste it in?
I didn't have the time to read your submission thoroughly, not to look up a timetable - when happened what.

Just wanted to throw this piece of info in which - please, please - has to be included!

THE CLERICAL AGE (610-825)

The Clerical Age is a time where the 4 elemental "archbishops" (se names below) have heavy influence on the political agenda and finally instruct a puppet king. In the course of this Age the time shift back again.

Power centers of the "archbishops":
- Sanctuary of the Twelve in Elsreth (vashamethar)

- Sanctuary of the Twelve in Milkengrad (pheramethar)
- Sanctuary of the Twelve in Chrondra (dominating, so it became capital eventually (motamethar))
- Sanctuary of the Twelve in Varcopas (maramethar)
- Fifth: Northern Rimmerins Ring, highest elevation in the mountains - "Sky Fortress", here the meetings take place between the so-called "archbishops"
- The Voice: sorain (the speaker)
- Archbishop: methar (plural: metharín)
- Bistum: arameth, plural: aramethín (vashameth, pherameth, marameth, motameth)

You can find it here

http://stuff.santharia.com/history/history_clerics.jpg

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Chronusian
Wandering Wind-Wizard
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 28 September 2009, 22:58:37 »

Hrm... I wasn't aware of this timeline, or of the ridiculous amounts of conflicts that occured after Santharia began. I'd still like Elsreth to be a primarily neutral city throughout it all (save for during the Clerical Age.) I think  during the Clerical Age is a good time to make Elsreth the capital of the province.  But I'm going to explore this timeline a bit more to see if other opportunities arise.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 28 September 2009, 23:18:45 »

I don't think, Europe had less in the last 2000 years... and there have been some creative heads together who decided about that history, worked it out (Santhmoot II)

You don't have your history written yet, and maybe you don't need to complete it in a way, that it reflects all you could find there. But generally, I doubt, that a town could avoid being pulled into a conflict. Neutrality means being against somebody in these times. I would say, just find a historical frame for your town. Those events have not yet taken place in Santharian history, but you should write your history in a way, that they could be added as soon as somebody writes history down. Artimidor has already started. And I need to look, how far he got to get my queen done as well :).

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 29 September 2009, 04:04:48 »

Well, you need to keep the historical facts straight here, Chronu. You write:

Also, most of the history on the site still refers to Carmalad as the capital of Enthronia. I've accepted that it was once the capital, but was changed to Elsreth after Carmalad was sacked by the Orcs.

Carmalad was sacked by the orcs in 292 b.S., at a time when Enthronia didn't even exist, so it couldn't have become capital at that point. Also Caltharia belonged to another kingdom! (Or are you referring to something else when you speak about orcs?) Then you continue:

As for Elsreth becoming a part of Enthronia in the first place, I attributed that to Thar...

Elsreth wasn't part of the Tharanian kingdom!! Again, look here. Thar turned Caltharia, Kyrania and Centorauria and of course Erpheronia into the Tharian Kingdom. And the borders of 482 b.S. are shown on that map. Don't know where you see Thar forming borders that include Elsreth.

So the suggestion I made concerning Santhros makes historical sense as far as I can see. Also, once Enthronia was establshed as a province of Santharia, given the reasons I stated above, it could very well be that a more central town was turned into the new province of Enthronia.

The things Talia mentioned also definitely have to be included here!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Chronusian
Wandering Wind-Wizard
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 29 September 2009, 04:11:57 »

I already caught those things, and the current post reflects that, sorry for not pointing that out.
The city was made a part of the Province of Enthronia upon Santhros' coming, and it was made the capital some time later.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 29 September 2009, 05:15:51 »

Ok, let's start an Uri, so this is part I for today:

First, make sure to name your entry properly, like "The Ancythrian Port Town and Enthronian Capital Elsreth".

Introduction/Overview

Elsreth is the Capital City of the Province of Enthronia in Southern Sarvonia. While it's one of the oldest cities in the province, it's ironically the newest addition.  (I have the strange feeling that this sentence doesn't really make sense. Was Carmalad recently added to the province? How so? I don't get that.) Elsreth, like all major Enthronian cities, has a focus on trade, production, and creativity. (This is very basic, too basic - needs to expanded quite a bit: How many inhabitants live there? Which tribes/races? You don't even mention her that it is actually a port town, which is absolutely key to this town...)

Elsreth is located on the western shore of the Ancythrian Sea, and north of the Paelelon Forest, representing the capital of one of the central provinces of the United Kingdom of Santharia. It is also neighbour to the Kairian Teeth to the west, and the Plains of Truoor to the northwest. (proper names=capital letters!)

Description

Elsreth is a city that is constantly in activity. During daylight hours, the fishermen and crafters of the town pursue their professions. Travelers from afar and townsfolk alike can be found shopping for wares at the Bazaar or the Market. By night, old rituals are practiced by the descendants of the ancient tribes, and bards weave their tales within the various inns and taverns. Travelers visiting the city will find that there is never a dull moment in Elsreth.

Elsreth is divided into two distinct areas, Elsreth Keep, a district named after the proud edifice dominating the western part of the town, and what's affectionately known as 'The Old City' by the citizens. Each area has a distinct style and feel to it, and uniquely contributes to the culture and efficiency of the city. The city is surrounded by a high wall on all sides, leaving the harbour the most vulnerable area to attack. Travelers from the west will first take sight of the High Towers of the Keep before ever laying eyes on the gates.

- Elsreth Keep

Elsreth Keep was first built upon Elsreth formally becoming part of the Eyelian Tribe. It was significantly expanded upon becoming part of the Santharian Kingdom, and is now the largest keep in the province. The Keep itself is divided into two areas, the 'Inner Keep' and the 'Outer Keep'. When the second expansion of the city began, rather than tearing down the walls of the original keep, new walls were built, and the boundaries of the city expanded.

Construction on the Keep began shortly after Elsreth became a part of Eyelia (in 1190 b.S.), due to their wish to remain free of the Serphelorian conflicts. (This is unclear in this first sentence - who's "their"? You need to make it clearer that Elsreth declared its independence, and that there were Serphelorians there, which were fed up with the fighting among the Serphelorians, so they teamed up with the Eyelians. The first sentence here is misleading.) The Eyelian tribe, worried that Serpheloria would retaliate as a result of the defection, sent aid to Elsreth, and began to build permanent defenses and battlements around the small settlement. However, because the Serphelorians were so occupied with infighting, Elsreth was able to expand in peace.

With the founding of Santharia, Santhros declared Elsreth a part of the Enthronian province, to better facilitate trade between the province of Sanguia and Enthronia. Humans from the all over then (?) travelled to Elsreth and began the rapid expansion of the city. By this time, Elsreth already had a strong relationship with the Boltgrumm Dwarves, who eagerly aided in the expansion. Stone dwellings are prominent within the keep, particularly within the newer areas. It's not uncommon for dwellings to have at least one level beneath the surface, though even the dwarves within the city seem to prefer living above ground. (Keeps as such aren't as large as districts, though you seem to suggest it to be that way. So I'd make that clearer as well that there was a keep first and that it grew more into a district.)

A prominent establishment in the Keep is the Hefty Hewer inn. This is an inn that not only includes a tavern, but a daytime bazaar where traveling merchants sell their wares before continuing on the road. It is sometimes assumed that the Bazaar is in competition with the markets in Old Town. This is not the case. The Bazaar features specialty items, such as luxury clothing, exotic foods, unique toys, magical wares, and other crafted and luxury items. The market is the place for everyday items, food, and essentials. The Hefty Hewer is located along one of the city's three main roads, called Merchant's way. Many of Elsreth's craftsmen can be found along this road as well. The Merchant's Way runs from the southwest of the town, from Sangiua, and intersects with Pilgrim's Path and Harbour Road. From there it veers of to the Northwest, towards Vardýnn.

To the north of the town, folllowing the 'Pilgrim's Path' the dwellings grow more sparse as you make your way to the Sanctuary of the Twelve. The second largest structure in the City, the Sanctuary was built after Elsreth became part of Enthronia (As I said: Can't follow you here at the moment, because Elsreth was most likely part of Enthronia right from the start, as Santhros had the trade connection between Elsreth and Cavthan already in mind.) to provide a more complete religious experience than the - by many deemed - primitive and animalistic faiths practised by the Eyelians. The Sanctuary sits at the end of the Pilgrim's Path, on which no vehicles are allowed to travel. The path runs north from the southern gate, directly to the Sanctuary. (The Sanctuary isn't really described here, I hoped at least for a few details here...)

The Thane, governor of the province, resides within Thanehelm Manor. The Manor was constructed in the Outer Keep, in the southern part of the city, once the capital was moved to Elsreth. It is the single largest structure in the city, being four stories high. Initially, it was proposed that a castle be built, but a problem arose, as it would require the destruction of much of the old town. The Thane at the time decided to retain the good will of the people by building the more modest Manor.

- The Old City

The 'Old City' mostly consists of simple stone and wooden structures that remain from the time before the construction of the original Keep and the expansion of the city. Upon entering the area, the smell of fish overwhelms the senses, though that's no problem for most who work or live in the area. For the fishermen of Elsreth, fishing is second nature, and has been vital to the growth of the city since first settled by the Serphelorian leader Elsreth.

Old town is almost completely populated by humans . Eyelians and Sophronians maintain the largest tribal presence within this area, though there has been much intermingling between the two cultures. A rare dwarf can be found amongst the fishermen, or the occasional elven hunter or fisherman. Many fishermen maintain dwellings on the shore that serve as storing areas for their equipment, as well as larger cabins further inland.

Old town is home to the Marketplace, which is open most days from sunup to sundown (try to use Santharian days of time, see Santharian Calender). A wide variety of wares, including food, everyday clothing, and inexpensive oddities can be found there. Most of the stores for all of Elsreth can be found in Old Town, in one of the several large warehouses built within this area of the city. (You might especially mention dyed clothes, which arrive from Cavthan, where the Caltharians reside.)

The most recent addition to Old City is the Harbour,  built after the addition of Elsreth to the Province of Enthronia. It was quickly built to facilitate trade with the other Enthronian Provinces, primarily Cavthan. The Harbour consists of several piers, few large, stone warehouses, and a great shipyard along the coast. (I'd say there was some sort of harbour there before as well, that's quite logical for a town by the sea, but not a very large one for major ships, only to fulfill the needs for fish of the inhabitants.)

The city's primary trade ship is named the "Traverser", for it has survived many trips to Cavthan and back without ill damage from the sea. A small amount of other, smaller ships are docked in the port at various times. Due to the constant trade and the fact that the Ancythrian sea is inland, ships are constantly on the move back and forth to Cavthan. Enthronian vessels are built for speed and durability. They are only large enough to carry cargo, crew, and the necessary ship fittings, but sturdy enough to survive the harsh and unpredictable Ancythrian Sea.

More checks to come....
« Last Edit: 29 September 2009, 05:18:48 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 06 October 2009, 03:15:12 »

Ok, we continue with part II:

Coat of Arms

Elsreth didn't officially develop a coat of arms until becoming a part of Eyelia. At that time, the coat of arms consisted of a single white dove upon a crimson background. The Dove indicated peace, and the colour was derived from that of the hipogryff (Since when is a hipogryff depicted on the Eyelian Coat of Arms? That would be a corssing between horse and gryph, while a gryphon is lion and a gryph, and that's what the Eyelian entry says...) depicted on the Eyelian Coat of Arms. The coat of arms was first changed upon becoming part of the United Kingdom of Santharia. The new coat of arms would include both the Dove and the Hippogryff (?) flying above a dark blue depicition of the Ancythrian Sea, on a sky blue background. The final change to the coat of arms was the addition of a silver triangle, representing the three major trade cities of Enthronia: Elsreth, Carmalad, and Cavthan. This change was made when Elsreth became the provincial capital. (Why, when? Guess I've posted already contradictory things to that.)

Anyway, basically the idea of these three cities becomeing trading partners and getting that triangle in the coat of arms is nice. I see we have that already in Cavthan, but now this gets strengthened. The complementing of each other as far as trade is concerned should be stressed in all three city entries, they could form a really important key axis there.

People and Culture

Elsreth began as a town of Sophronian defectors who were tired of the constant moving and fighting of their tribe. After maintaining a peaceful settlement for some time, Elsreth made the decision (That's a bit too simple, try to give that some background, e.g. that the Eyelians were dominating, that Sophronians adapted their lifestyle etc.) to become a part of Eyelia. The Eyelians, in order to protect the city should what had by this point (?) become the Serphelorian tribe, sent their forces to the city for aid. Upon the founding of Santharia, humans from all over Santharia, travelled to Elsreth to once again expand the city. (I guess their main purpose wasn't to "expand the city", but to use the new opportunities that the established trading offered.)

The diversity in the population of Elsreth is staggering. During the second expansion, humans from all over Santharia travelled to the city to aid in its expansion. There is a strong Caltharian presence in Elsreth, though not nearly as much as in the other major Enthronian cities. Erpherorians also have a strong presence, though their cultural influence is less dominant than the other tribes (Hmmm... Didn't you want to make it more Erpheronian initially?). There is also a heavy dwarven population, as the Boltgrumm Dwarves played a large role in the construction and expansion of the Keep. There is a strong presence (You mention "strong presence" three times in this paragraph, would suggest to formulate that a bit differently.) of Eyelians in the Old City who have struggled to preserve their culture over the years. They have met little resistance, as their unique abilities, while considered primitive, are greatly valued.

Elsreth is unique in that it has not been part of any major conflict since its creation, and has enjoyed a rare and lasting peace. The people of the city have embraced peace and prosperity as ideals, and strive to maintain good relations with each other, their guests, and their allies. Poverty and crime are almost non-existent. The rare conflicts that arise within the city are solved amicably and efficiently by the leadership. The city does maintain a militia and the Order of Armeros has a barracks, if only out of caution and tradition.

This is all way too simple here in the last paragraph. Simply because you love peace you cannot escape wars, especially when you later say that he city has a militia "out of cautian and tradition". I recommend to take on my suggestion and make it a rather weak city, which was pretty non-influential back then and only became more important when serious trade started. This way once the trouble hit with the orcish invasion for example they wouldn't have fought back and let the orcs take the city, or, maybe better, the orcs wouldn't have had any major interest in the city as it posed no thread. So they could have guarded it in order to prevent nasty surprised, but wouldn't have conquered it properly, as there was no resistance. Later, when Santharia was founded, the town could have gotten barracks for the Order of Armeros, mainly to spread the Erpheronian influence Santhros also stood for.

State Organization (Elsreth isn't a state!)

Elsreth maintains the Feudal system set in place by the Santhran, but it is not nearly as strictly enforced as it is in other cities. The Nobles of Elsreth traditionally assign laws which do not favour one caste over another, and allow citizens to do as they please so long as they follow the law. Many nobles are appointed via merit or service to the city or province in some way. The Enthronian Thane appoints the Duchy (Do you mean Dukes?) of the province in this manner as well, though they are left to their own devices within their individual domains.

The feudal system met much resistance when first introduced to Elsreth. The concept was foreign to the city, as their leadership gained power largely through merit, and there was no single ruler. It was at this time that many of the Eyelians left the city. Some remained, as they had been in the city far too long to move. After many negotiations, an Eyelian was appointed as Duke, and the adamant tribes, serfs in his care. (Don't get that last part...)

Well, here lies some interesting stuff you could do as far as the Eyelains are concerned, who don't really fit into the feudal system, so you might try to "soften" that system here a bit, to make it possible for Eyelians to live here. Like creating own Eyelian titles, and letting them have their lands regulated in a different way. Right now you suggest that Santhros came and changed everything and many left. I guess this definitely isn't what Santhros wanted to keep peace, so there would need to be a lot of concession from his side to make life for the Eyelians better.

Further checks to come!

Chronusian
Wandering Wind-Wizard
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 08 October 2009, 16:29:03 »

(...Elsreth was most likely part of Enthronia right from the start, as Santhros had the trade connection between Elsreth and Cavthan already in mind.)

Yes, he did, and I just didn't explain it properly. It wasn't made the provincial capital right away because it wasn't established enough. I'm thinking 12-30 a.S somewhere it will be made the capital city.

(The Sanctuary isn't really described here, I hoped at least for a few details here...)

Hopefully, that works. I borrowed Judith's concept from the religious symbols thread, for the most part. I'm not sure how detailed I should get.

(...I recommend to take on my suggestion and make it a rather weak city, which was pretty non-influential back then and only became more important when serious trade started....)

This was always the idea, again, I just needed to make it more clear in the post. Pretty much, when Elsreth first settled, it was a settlement with no walls or anything. When they became part of Eyelia, the expand a little, and built a keep. Then Santhros came and built a bigger keep and better walls, and really kicked the city into gear.

Right now you suggest that Santhros came and changed everything and many left. I guess this definitely isn't what Santhros wanted to keep peace, so there would need to be a lot of concession from his side to make life for the Eyelians better.

That's exactly what he did, according to the Eyelian entry. He tried to Santharianize the Eyelians and they got upset and retreated way south into the forests. I did establish the council of Elsreth, a group of 3 Eyelian religous leaders, and the thane. I figured they could be integral to paving the way for the "Archbishop" of wind (or air) to take power during the Clerical Age

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 09 October 2009, 04:34:56 »

Ok, we've discussed some thing already and I see you also changed a bunch of things already, but before I get to the changes I have to get through the entry first, eh? - So let's go with part III :)

Climate

Summers in Elsreth, while moderate, are particularly humid due to the proximity to the sea. Winters are mild with lots of precipitation, more often rain than snow. (I suggest to have a look at Elsreth, which is similar in climate, and the difference I find there is mainly that "he town often is lightly foggy near the coast, but never so much as to obscure vision." You might mention that here as well, also because it's just the mysterious Ancythrian Sea we're talking here, and if you want a bit of myystery some fog is never wrong. Plus, I like putting fog in everywhere... lol)

Economy

Elsreth maintains good relations with all of her neighbours, and the other provinces in the Kingdom. Because of this, the city has become very wealthy, as well as very diverse, as it imports and exports a large variety of items. Citizens of Elsreth and many Enthronians in general share a strong bond with the southern province of Sanguia, due the relationships created when both regions were a part of Eyelian territory. Since the provinces were first established, the two have maintained a healthy trade relationship. (This part could use the whole Santhros thingy trying to establish the town as a major trading center between two key cities connected by the Ancythrian Sea, letting the dwarves assist in building and thus establish them as a major factor for the city, bringing some trading experts like Avennorians in and some of his old Erpheronian friend - stuff like this longs to be explained here! ;) )

Resources

Natural resources include salt, fish, ores from the surrounding mountainous areas, and hide from the various beasts that inhabit the area. Gold mined from the Kairian Teeth has long been a major resource for Elsreth, though only in more recent times have the people begun to mine it themselves, rather than trade. (Got something for you: Geodes: Quote from there - "Geodes can be found in rocky places all over Santharia, most notably in the foothills of the Kairian Teeth as they reach toward the sea.")

Flora

The wild Plains of Truoor is home to a few useful plant species, including the Basiloc plant, and the Bredden. (Maybe you find a few more plants that are common in the region by searching for other Places names throughout the site useing the search engine, I'm sure there are a few more to be found.)

Fauna

The Ancythrian Sea is home to a wide variety of fish, including the khendochar (or "flying fish") and the caéh-fish, which provide food, and has parts that can be used and sold as artist's tools. A variety of game is available to Elsreth, including deer, wolves, rabbits, foxes, bears, and sheep. Different varieties of this game can be found throughout the region. (There are a bunch more to be found if you use the search engine searching for "Ancythrian Sea", maybe you could mention an own kind of fish that is very special and can nearly exclusively found in Elsreth - you know, just to have a speciality that really stands for the city.)

Production

Though Elsreth lacks an abundance of natural resources, the items the City produces from imported raw materials are arguably the best crafted items in Santharia. Weapons and armour forged from high quality steel, glass crafts, pottery, clothing spun from fine thread and dyed with Caltharian dyes. These are just a small sample of what the city is able to produce, and are a testament to the magnificent diversity that is Elsreth. (Weapons and armour reminds me that the city harbours a good deal of dwarves, right? So why not make this a famous city where human expert smiths and dwarven smith combine their forces for the best possible results as far as weapons and armours are concerned? So having a weapon from Elsreth would be some sort of quality seal... - How about an actual sign that stands for Elsreth's quality seal? Maybe with the Kairian Teeth in in it or something?)

Elsreth is also a rather significant producer of leather and hides in the region, which can be attributed to the abundance of salt provided by its proximity to the Ancythrian Sea.

Trade

There is a healthy trade of various metals and gems (especially gold) from the Kairian Teeth, as Elsreth has long been in good standing with Boltgrumm Dwarves.

Elsreth imports a wide range of items from other Enthronian provinces as well, including dyes and cloth from Cavthan. They enjoy good relations with the elves of [Forest] (?) The town is very well known for importing raw materials and exporting some of the highest quality weapons, armour, clothing, and tools in all of Santharia. (As Elsreth is designed to be a key trade town, this needs to be developed better. What about Erpheronians now? Trade connections with the north could guarantee that Erpheronians are regularly around, looking for the best weapons and technology of Elsreth, just to give you an example what you could put in this section.)

Military

The City is protected by the city's Militia, which is made up of mostly volunteers, petty criminals, and influential nobility. In addition, the Order of Armeros maintains a Barracks within Elsreth. (The Armeros guys sound like Erpheronians, so developing such connections here couldn't hurt.)

Religion

The Humans of Elsreth primarily worship 'The Twelve', and a sanctuary was built to honour the twelve gods after Elsreth was named capital of Enthronia. Baveras is also particularly revered by the fishermen and sailors of the city. Amongst the general populace, there are no particular religious or spiritual observances specific to Elsreth.

In the Old City, the descendants of the Eyelian Tribe continue to practice many of their ancient customs. They revere Grothar as Father Sky, and Jeyriall as Mother Earth. They also continue their traditions of naming, the finding of the spirit, and the release of the spirit. Oftentimes during the public ceremonies, citizens of the city will watch from the ramparts or from their houses, careful not to disturb the sanctity of the events. (Seems pretty much like a very spiritual city as well to me with all those different faiths represented here - Temple of the Twelvern, Eyelians etc. - so this could be another aspect that could be elaborated a bit more.)

Religion

The Humans of Elsreth primarily worship 'The Twelve', and a sanctuary was built to Honour the twelve gods after Elsreth was named capital of Enthronia. Baveras is also particularly revered by the fisherman and sailors of the city. Amongst the general populace, there are no particular religious or spiritual observance specific to Elsreth.

In the Old City, the descendants of the Eyelian Tribe continue to practice many of their ancient customs. They revere Grothar as Father Sky, and Jeyriall as Mother Earth. They also continue their traditions of naming, the finding of the spirit, and the release of the spirit. Oftentimes during the public ceremonies, citizens of the city will watch from the ramparts or from their houses, careful not to disturb the sanctity of the events.

Myth/Lore

An often overlooked anecdote (fits better I'd say) concerning the Santharian provinces is that each capital city shares the same first letter as the province it's a part of. For some time, Carmalad was the capital of the Enthronian province. Not many know if it was sheer coincidence that Elsreth eventually became the capital. Some nobles believed that the Thane who made Elsreth the capital of Entrhonia simply noticed the scheme and made the decision based on that alone. Some believe that it was the intention of Santhros when he declared Elsreth a part of Enthronia to for it to be the capital. At any rate, coincidence or not, this little interesting circumstance makes it easy to remember the provincial capital for any student of Santharian geography.

History

As for history: We've established a few facts now concerning the capital change, so you should have a few dates here to put up...

----------------------

And that's my thorough check for today - still needs some work here to get it absolutely perfect, but we're on our way here I'd say, Chronusian! Aura +1 for the work so far, looking forward to check back for updates!
« Last Edit: 09 October 2009, 05:13:27 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Chronusian
Wandering Wind-Wizard
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 09 October 2009, 04:49:27 »

Oh, I keep forgetting to put in my alt codes. I don't really remember which one is which, plus they are a pain to do on a laptop. Is there a list of the somewhere?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 09 October 2009, 05:14:24 »

What "alt" codes do you mean?

Anyway, I've updated the post above, I'm through with the check now!  thumbup

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 30 October 2009, 04:46:38 »

Any update coming here, Chronu? Or more precisely, as I see that you've updated the entry already a bit: Is there an end in sight for a second reading at some point?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]