Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Ancythrian Sea  (Read 10112 times)
Smee
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 20 May 2008, 00:48:18 »

Yup - I've no problem on a more fantasy based explanation, it's just there isn't one in the entry at the moment is all.  :)

A salt swamp is fine, sort of a mangrove type thing.

Again, worthy of a mention within the entry I feel.

"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own satanic herd!"
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 20 May 2008, 00:50:16 »

It wont actually filter it out.. the vegetation will have adapted to a salty environment, much like Sar'estvokar did, but plants simply dont use that kind of mineral salts to such an extent.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 21 May 2008, 04:58:41 »

Well, I admit I didn't think of such... er... details... when I drew the map and later helped Chronusian to finish the entry. I was more concentrated on the adventurous, ghost and drama stuff than climate things. - But I'm sure if there are cool explanations that Chronusian will also happily agree here. Having it salty is somewhat mandatory for a sea I think.

Underground channels are interesting, they provide a cool fantasy touch and these are cool places for monsters living there (or said to live there)... Can a sea be fed by underground rivers for example as well? If anyone would like to elaborate on that, be me guest! I'd appreciate it very much, as long as the character of the sea is preserved.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 21 May 2008, 05:11:13 »

Can a sea be fed by underground rivers for example as well?

I think so, the Danube vanishes and surfaces back at a place which name I don't remember in the moment, there is a huge underground lake under Bavaria somewhere, 300km long, why should there not be an undergroundconnection between the eastcoast (east of Alvang) and the sea (where this river fork  is) . Maybe at times (winter?) the water flows towards the inland sea, and in summer outwards, or something like this..

In the Rahaz Dath an underground river fills the Jewels - and such underground rivers exist in RL as well.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Smee
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 May 2008, 05:12:31 »

To me, having some connection with the main sea to replensh the salt is the best way forward.

I know rain is filtered by the land, adding silt, and minerals into lakes. But it's a vast mix of minerals, many beneficial to plant life, unlike just salt. Otherwise many of earth's big freshwater lakes would be becoming salty for the same reason. It'd require a high concentration of salt in the surrounding soils to account for this, and such soils wouldn't be very fertile as a consequence (although growing more so as the salt is leeched out).

A combination of the swamp and some underground channels would be cool I think. As Talia said though, the channels would cause some relatively powerful tidal currents, but also fairly predicatable, like any tides. I'm sure it's something either local sailers/fishermen will have learnt to negotiate, or avoid.

Another possibility, along the lines Arti suggested, is an underground river feeding into the sea. It could pass through extensive salt caves under the mountains along the way, and push this into the sea.

A combination of all three (swamp, tunnels and salt cave) would make each part less dramatic (and so have less effect on the current design), but together be effective.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2008, 05:15:12 by Smee » Logged

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21 May 2008, 05:13:50 »

To much detail!!  lol

I like to play without having to think of silly things like Real World physics and biology. Too much realism takes away the fantasy. At least to me it does.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #36 on: 21 May 2008, 05:14:44 »

In theory you can have entire aquasystems on a planet/disk/pineapple without ever having open water, so why not? The Dwarves surely have discovered several underground rivers and canals, and there are bound to be more.. also, an underground stream is not always like an open-surface stream, it can also be a layer of rather porous material on top of a not so porour layer, allowing the rainwater to 'flow' through the upper layer, only without the water movement being easilly visible. Eventually, it might create caves this way, but it just might remain a rather wet bit of ground a few dozen peds under the surface.

The latter would work for the Ancythrian Sea if, for instance, the sea level there would be higher than that of the ocean..

edit after smee interposted me..-> How about a salt deposit in the sea itself?

edit after Azhira interposted me -> No such thing!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Smee
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 21 May 2008, 05:20:53 »

*chuckles* It might be too much detail, but that's not the impression I have of this place so far.  You folks, on the whole, seem to revel in details ;)

A salt deposit in the sea works too - the entry does go into some details as to how deep it is. There could be anything down there.

Salt water is heavier than fresh water though, so technically any freshly dissolved salt from the bottom would stay there. It'd take currents to stir it upwards. But I think that is something that could be attributed to fantasy.  :P

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 21 May 2008, 05:22:41 »

Uhm.. i have a nice river here good sir... i'd hazard a guess it would stirr things up a bit :P...

and that's just one of the interresting solutions one could devise here...

the more fun ones probably integrate the sea's history as well :)

Avrah Kehabhra

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #39 on: 21 May 2008, 09:53:25 »

I hope whoever is writing the area entry will include a large saltworks village on the shores of the sea somewhere.  A medieval society uses a lot of salt, and we only have fleeting references so far throughout the site.

And of course the Ancythrian is salt!  Every granny knows that ages ago a poor merchant implored the gods for aid and received a magical saltmill in return.  As long as he turned the handle, salt would come pouring out.  The merchant sold many tuns of salt,  improved his fortunes, wed off all of his six daughters (with dowries), and on his deathbed willed the mill to his one son, the last-born.   Alas, the son, a spoiled child all his life, in a fit of temper flung the mill over the edge of the boat which was transporting his father's corpse for burial on the other side of the sea... and the gods, angered at this waste of their gift, decreed that the mill would perpetually grind  below the waves of the Ancythrian, making it salt for all time. 

Of course, there are other stories which say that ages ago a cruelly bereaved mother threw herself into the sea and weeps there for all eternity, her tears making the formerly sweet waters salty...  or that a demon summoned by a bloodmage escaped and wrought havoc in the region until bound by adamantine chains to the sea floor by the Archmage of the Water Tower....    you may take your choice!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 27 May 2008, 00:39:13 »

Do we have Ancythrian Merfolk? Talia has spread them throughout all of the continent, maybe she's up for one more variation?

Avrah Kehabhra

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #41 on: 21 July 2008, 22:09:42 »

Bumping to help the Currents discussion and thus the Climate thread...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Chronusian
Wandering Wind-Wizard
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #42 on: 19 September 2009, 00:21:59 »

Don't know if these issues were ever resolved, so I'll chime in for a few of them.

Salt: A folktale about the supreme saltiness of the Sea would be a nice addition to the entry, or several small folktales. Elsreth would be the town with a Saltworks, if any. I don't know how a saltworks works though.

Merfolk: I wouldn't think the Ancythrian has Merfolk. There are too many populated human settlements surrounding and there is a rather harsh environment in the sea itself. I'd have to look more at merfolk in general to see what and if we're able to work with in that regard.

Rivers: Don't have a problem with rivers beneath the surface of the Sea, so long as it doesn't interfere with the already established ecosystems.

I know this is Necro'd but there was no resolution so....

'Late? Don't be silly. I arrived just in time for tea.'
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]