Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Curgan's concept of Milkengrad  (Read 1593 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 17 April 2000, 13:04:00 »

Here are some comments on Curgan's Milkengrad-concept which you can read at the Compendium at the entries Milkengrad/Helcrani (in case Coór'Efér has already uploaded it):

1.) Revision
I revised the text a bit and corrected some minor errors (e.g. "seeked" must be "sought" I guess etc.) and I tried to make some sentences sound a bit better. I've only added very few additional content, so I suggest to read it again, Curgan, and see if the concept is still the way you would like it. I wait a bit until converting all to the History section too, but when the history of Milkengrad is complete I'll transfer it there:)

2.) Languages
You sometimes mention the "Santharian language", e.g. when offering to translate "Evergreen Hills" to the Santharian language. Note that the Santharian language is the common language people speak in, so this language must be - as a matter of fact - synonymous to the English language, otherwise it would be difficult for us to understand Santharian talk... Ok, so "Evergreen Hills" is just "Evergreen Hills", or - due to my concept that elves were the predominating race in Sarvonia a long time ago - the Hills also have an elven name, which would be "O'bejón Hills" and the humans just took the elven word and combined it with the Santharian word "Hills".

By the way: I interpret the words "Sostra" and the translation ("salvation place") etc. as Helcrani language - hope that's ok.

3.) Fire
Tacunija said: "Let FIRE be my witness..." I see that the elves later on burned the villages of the Helcrani, so fire has a place there, but it was not directly witness of the killing. But as I read this passage for the first time another idea sprang into my mind: The murderer could probably have taken place near the Hčckranian volcano (the Helcrani were at the High Fores), so maybe you could arrange an eruption of the volcano (would be rather dramatic in association with the curse). I'd suggest we could turn it into a rumour (well, it mustn't have happened this way, but it sounds pretty intrigueing) that when the elf lay dying and spoke his last words the volcano with the fury of the helpless elf erupted and so Tacunija said: "Let FIRE be my witness..." or - in an improved version - something like "FIRE is my witness and FIRE will also avenge me..." Well, just a thought...

There's also another association I have when the Hčckra is involved. Helcrani and Hčckra sound very similar, so maybe we can construct a language derivation from this - "Hčckrani"? Well and Hčckra definitely must have a meaning like "fire". Maybe this turns everything upside down, but it would be a good explanation why the inhabitants of Milkengrad are named like their origin, the Hčckra. As I've said: Just ideas floating thru my weird mind...

4.) Map
I would also suggest that you take the appropriate part of the Santharian map, Curgan, and some sort of drawing tool and mark the spots with an X where exactly you'd like to have Sostra and the other towns and Milkengrad positioned. Mail it back to me and I will make a little map from it and add it to the Compendium page of Milkengrad (and finally to the big Santharian map too) so that people can follow the way of the Helcrani.

5.) Dates
You asked in your mail: What happened during 729-550 b.S. and 218-215 b.S.? Well, 729-550 b.S. - currently no idea. Unfortunately I'm not almighty and just don't know at the moment. But the war is over, so maybe it's time for some consolidation at this time.

218-215 b.S. is described as the "Night of the Turning Shadow" and the resurrection of "Coór'Melór". This fabulous night is supposed to be some sort of solar eclipse, it's just that the Darkness drowns the sun completely for several days. This time only happens every 1000 years or so. It is very magical and seen as the sign for Coór's (the counterpart to Avá) return to earth and this figure is named Coór'Melór (the "Shadow of Coór"). Coór'Melór will be the great warlord leading the orcish invasion (he's immortal!), and his resurrection takes place somewhere in northern Sarvonia, at the barbarian lands. At the time of 218-215 b.S. Coór'Melór is moving south...

6.) Utter destruction of Santhala
[See and answer at the History Forum]

7.) Thanx
Ah! I nearly forgot: Great work, Curgan... That's what I like!

Okeydokey, that's all for today, folks, concerning Milkengrad!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Curgan2

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2000, 03:47:00 »

Thanx Christian for your effort correcting my mistakes. Pls keep on doing it. It is always welcome. The only thing I must add is that since the story is in the making some things might change in new updated versions. I will answer on your remarks in the same way u 've written them; in numbers BTW where do I have to register?

1)Revision
Actually "Curonesta" means palace in the helcranian dialect. Helcrani is supposed to be both singular and plural of the name. Helcran is the adjective and often used as singular. Ah the fist heimatlad of the helcrani was in the valley between the aurelian lakes and High Fores. After the Elven raids they went to the High Fores. And in the point were curogane enters the G forest Menlic didn't want to kill the elves in order to avenge the oath but the dead helcrani of the war. Furthermore, after rescuing the humans at the battle of Heleroth curogane wasn't annointed king of milkengrad, for the simple reason it didn't exist at this time. It will be founded by his son a year before the Deciding of the Blood (the part I 'm working on now).

2)Languages
That's exactly what I had in mind, the Helcrani speak their own dialect. I 'll start learning the elven language and combining words with each other. What I need is vocabulary...

3)Fire
The idea is awesome! Tacunija's murder is supposed to have hapenned at the foot of Hecra in the borders of the initial Helcrah (since latter it will mean the place where Helcrani live and not a certain area). And Fire will be the best friend and the worst enemy of the Helcrani. The idea of the erruption is completely adopted (who Artimidor? the idea is mine only *lol*).
And since Hel means fire, Hecra could mean Firetip (Hel+cra=tip)

4)Map
I will definately do it asap

I am the one who should be thanking you Arti, not only for your good words but for your valuable help all the way also.

Curgan

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2000, 07:55:00 »

I've already added the things you improved for your concept of Milkengrad to the site as well as a small map - nice work :hat  (I can that too, Coór'Efér!)

Some comments anyway:

1.) There's a sentence in your text: "The enemy should be delayed at any cost till the messengers arrived at HELRONN." I couldn't find the name "HELRONN" before in your text, so this person seems to be unexplained completely...

2.) You write about AV'AELVAN (the one-eyed elf). I need to correct this if you are accurate to elven linguistics: The name must be AV'AELÍAN - I changed this in the text I put on the site. Hope that's ok.

3.) It seems that you have typed the corrections I made on your text again (reading it from the site), changing it at the original text. Hmmm... I guess that's not very efficient in the end. As I read your concept again I discovered several new little errors (obviously from quick typing) and sometimes the text is not the same as it is on the site. So I cannot just take your original text and convert it to HTML as some improvements already done to the text are lost again 8o  - Hmmm... So why not copy the text directly from the site (just mark it, then paste it into your texteditor) and continue to work on the already improved text? This saves a lot of time as you don't have to type everything again. And I guess it is just a necessity that we always work on ONE text!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Curgan2

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2000, 03:42:00 »

Are u a fast worker! (guess the day has 36 hours for u...)

1.Helronn is Curogane's son and future founder of Milkengrad. In the next update I will clarify that.

2.Actually correcting my mistakes is a reason to be grateful -not angry. I thank u for one more time.

3.I will follow this method. But when I advance on the story I improve and the already written text also. Next time I will mark these changes in red or some other way that can be reckognisable. I know it is a pain in the a**, but I can't help it. The story unfolds right in front of my eyes...  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2000, 12:00:00 »

Yeah, a good idea to mark the changes - just copy the text from the site into Word and when you do new additions do in another color from the start:)

Of course this works only with a Word file... Hmmm... There were problems with the Word file last time and I still have no explanation for that, so maybe the next file works properly. Just give it a try, maybe the upload to the server failed somehow and it works next time...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1084
Latest: reatha16
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 95
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 96
Total: 96

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!