Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Brownie  (Read 5876 times)
Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 13 May 2000, 22:56:00 »

Just wanted tolet everyone know.....
Will be making a macro-history of Brownies, over their 9,000 year history, including famous and infamous people in the past, language discussions, geographical considerations, whatever. Then will probably move on to something else. Brownies can add flavor to a story, so hopefully somebody will include them in a war or something.
See compendium reference.

I'm a little intimidated by an entire world, so cutting my teeth on a valley first ;)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2000, 00:35:00 »

I will probably draw a little larger map of the brownie valley, so I wanted to ask: Is there a name for the new river? Or some more names for everything shown on the map (name for every mountain etc.)? If so, just tell me so that I can integrate it.

BTW: Why are brownies called "brownies" (why not "whities" or "blackies" *grin*) - any idea?  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2000, 00:39:00 »

Hey Art!
Wow! Thanks! I greatly appreciate it!
Basic shape of the valley: 3 miles long (east-west), 1 mile wide. Only easy way in is from the west, everyplace else surrounded by mts. The small river/large creek flowing out of this western gap should get its water from two smaller creeks. The southern one comes from hilly area in the southeast of the valley, and branches and subbranches, with many tiny streams feeding this southern stream.
The northern stream comes over flatter ground, very few streamlets leading to it, ultimate souce is a waterfall coming down the mountain to the north-east. All this area is forrested to various degrees. Will get names to you in the next couple of days.  

Edited by Greybark  at: 5/13/00 9:36:49 am
Xaron

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2000, 06:23:00 »

You either must have a special item in the Brownie valley, have a few traveling Brownies and Xaron meet eachother, or this river must be deep (more then a meter deep or more than 3 meter wide) so that Xaron can´t cross it (gnomes generally despise water in large amounts, like rivers or lakes. Kind´a like most hobbits :-)

For an indication of Xaron´s travels, draw a straight line from Elving to Argor (a vulcano). There he must find an item of 'Elemental Protection', which protects against fire (probably a necklace or a cape).
He needs to find 3 more items of elemental protection, one against the element air (or wind if you prefer), one against the element water and one against the element earth (I think I will put that one into the hands of a (gready?) son of a dwarven king).

The time plays when Xaron is 71* and already adventured for about ten years (at the time Artimidor is here, writing the Carpá'dosiá, Xaron will be 195**)

* = Gnome are considered adults when they reach the age of 60.
** = Gnomes usually become 250 years. So at this age Xaron can be considered an adventurer soon to reach the end of his career and will be bound to settle somewhere :-)

Xaron the annoying

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2000, 10:21:00 »

Hey Art!
Here's what I've been able to come up with.....if any of them look stupid to you, let me know, and I'll change it..
Please reference www.geocities.com/mikonet...ieland.jpg
1 Life Mountain
2 Death Bringer
3 Mount of the Cheiftan
4 Sorceresses' Peak
5 The Gate  (looks very similar to www.geocities.com/mikonet...nxiasp.jpg from the valley looking West)
6 Wide River
7 River of Reeds
8 Dark Hills
9 Snake River
10 Bottomless Lake
11 Diamond falls

The area circled in red on the right are the basic limits of the Brownie valley.
Oh, and the valley itself? They call it "home".

The name Brownies, like all the other Peoples except for Hobbits, come from European mythology. Why they are not Orangy or pinky I have no idea....

Looking forward to seeing the map! Thanx!

Xaron: easiest way would be to have a small group of Brownies meet you, or to run into a group living somewhere else. There are a few of them living almost everywhere, and a few larger sSettlements outside of the valley. Note: Most important social unit for a Brownie is the clan. Usually an occupational title, with a combination of people descended from a famous ancestor, as well as people joining guild style. Membership is fluid. Strongest loyalties are to the clan rather than town or anything else. Feel free to make up your own clans. (not the magic clan though...I would like to make that one).
BTW: maybe you would know the answer to this... How would you classify Life Magic? (out of the 4 elements) Ya know, can affect living things in various ways, changing size, health levels, etc. etc. of anything living, with no affect whatsoever on anything non-living. Would it be a subdivision of Earth?

Edited by Greybark  at: 5/13/00 7:15:40 pm
Xaron

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2000, 12:35:00 »

> BTW: maybe you would know the answer to this... How would you classify
> Life Magic? (out of the 4 elements)
> Ya know, can affect living things in various ways, changing size, health
> levels, etc. etc. of anything living, with no affect whatsoever on anything
> non-living. Would it be a subdivision of Earth?

Hmmm, well, if no-one of the others has to say anything, I would say it comes from Ava. Ava gave a free will to living beings. But if it should be of the elements... I would say, the fifth element: "Magic" (I know I didn't include that in the list written two posts back. And no, I don't make it up just this vrey second :-)

Magic is everywhere, it is not bound to gravity-laws (air going up the sky, water and earth falling down, fire between them). It is not bound to borders, but magic can be found in the earth, in the air, in the water, and even in fire, between the stars (a vacuum doesn't make the element magic be not apparent there: magic is totally different from the other 4 elements).

I would say that the first four elements represent a part of Ava, like her fury (fire) etc. (Note that one element can represent several parts, not just fury (destructive?), but also passion (constructive?) etc)
The fifth element, magic (in my opinion) does not reflect a part of Ava, but her very essence. That way it can be used to shape the other elements into a magical fireball, a constructive healing-chant (either earth or water), a mental boost in the sense of braveness (I think the mind is represented by air, though I can hardly explain why that'd be).

Maybe you should ask Artimidor if he approves with this, and he can redirect you to someone who knows more (that'll probably be an elve. This gnome only spend half of his much shorter youth (30 yrs) with elves, while elves spend 100+ yrs with elven stuff, which can include magic)

In total, I would say it is water or earth (both make the flowers and the trees grow, the source of all other life). Earth delivers food, while water refreshes. Maybe the Life Magic is a mixture between the two, shaped by the element magic, balanced by the caster.

(ok, a long reply, but I hope I am not wrong and it helps you :-)

Xaron the annoying

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2000, 12:40:00 »

Yup earth is the element for Life Magic (=restore matter), I guess.

BTW: Thanx for the explanation in the 5th element of wood in your mail. It's ok that brownies have other elemental beliefs, but don't forget that these should be explained somehow in the Compendium too!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Xaron

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2000, 13:56:00 »

...a hunter party? Sitting on rabbits, bow and spear at hand, hunting after an... ehm... an ehm... well, a something. (Do Brownies hunt and what is their common food?)

Xaron the annoying

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2000, 00:19:00 »

:)
Yes they hunt, usually with weapons coated in plant-derived chemicals to put the animal to sleep or poison it (means you only have to hit it several times rather than several thousand times.
Food....hmmmm.....well, they raise mice as cattle....for hunting, just think of what might look appetizing at that size...sparrows? frogs? I haven't thought it through yet.
Love the riding on rabbits idea...would have never thought of it...They'd have to be careful of the natural predators of rabbits though

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2000, 02:36:00 »

I'm working on putting together Brownie pre-history...kind of backstory, I guess, so that things will have reasons where they are, rather than coming out of nowhere. One question I ran into, that I just can't figure out. What would a half elf half dwarf look like? They seem to be opposites....

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2000, 05:58:00 »

ya know, there's one more place that could be important enough to be on the map. The Tree Circle, on the triangle of land right where the river forks. I guess you could call it the Brownie capitol for the last 100 years.
(By the way, if its too much hassle, most of the names don't matter....just this one and The Gate (entrance to the valley))

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2000, 11:55:00 »

Well, there will never be a dwarf who will get intimate with an elf - impossible! Just ask our dwarven expert, Lytenian Dragon (currently stressed I guess)!!

And I've already drawn the map and it will be on the site if somebody will upload it. Unfortunately the situation in the UK is not clear currently, and even more strange: I cannot upload the changes to the German mirror site as the server doesn't let me in:(

Please be patient! Maybe I've interpreted the map a little different (Gate a bit more south etc.) - well you'll see when it's on the site!

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2000, 23:17:00 »

Wow, you'refast! (Greybark pictures Art sitting scrunched into an old fashioned schooldesk, frantically drawing on it with pencil, then dragging the desk over to the scanner...)
I'm looking forward to seeing what you came up with....I'm enjoying the collaborative aspect of everything here....everything has to mesh with what has already been created, but within those guidelines you can twist it around....great fun. Thanks again for drawing the map.

Hmmmm....Elves and Dwarves....well, at the end of the "Return of the King" We have a dwarvish elf-friend.... Going thru disasters together, being chamged into something a bit different than what they were before (not to mention smaller, having to deal with an increased metabolism and greatly decreased lifespan, and being part of a tiny community that *must* work together if they are to survive the terrifying world that they find themselves a part of. Even under these situations, I'll grant the first generation might not be open to the concept, but I have seen many very improbable things happen in real life, why not in Santharia? How many generations would it take? Surely their children or childrens children or great-grandchildren could overcome the elven/dwarven pejudice? After all, occasionally there are half-elves, presumably half drarves as well...
:D
Pls let me know what you think :)  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2000, 02:20:00 »

Well, I'd say: Friendship between elves and dwarves can't be a problem (although it is an exception to the rule). But I have my problems with thinking about a -err- "dwelf" - I just can't imagine how two competely different principles can find their way together (especially concerning the appearance of the body)... However, there's a race which has something of a dwarf and an elf alike: The human...

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2000, 10:40:00 »

Yeah, that's all I was able to come up with as well....
:p  
Might have to scrap their cosmology, start over.....
but let me ask....Every major race is connected with an element.....where could the new races, like Brownies and Gnomes, fit in?

I guess I'll have to rewrite the compendium entry.....just as well.....

Thanks for your patience....I forgot to log  recently, so didn't see your reply.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[Yesterday at 22:01:36]

[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1087
Latest: aimeusdietger
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 90
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 72
Total: 72

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!