Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Brownie history sketch  (Read 4212 times)
Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 09 September 2000, 02:28:00 »

I'm working on an overall sketch of Brownie history....part of it has brownies living as vermin among the other races. I need to know, what are living conditions for orcs a few thousand years b.S. ?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2000, 07:07:00 »

Indeed, there are still some Santharians alive out there (at least one), so greetings Greybark and good luck in advance on your shoulder operation:)  - and you're posting in the Santharian Member Works section too, which makes me quite happy as Santharians in general ignore this wonderful forum... - And I guess posting here isn't much different than at other forums, eh?

Brownie history seems pretty fine - maybe we should divide the history section into human/brownie/orcish etc. history & other associated histories (like the Mythean history written by Krisstofier). Well, we'll see...

Concerning the living conditions of orcs a few thousand years ago: Well, I suggest they should be just similar to the living conditions a few thousand years ago of humans on this planet. However, orcs don't seem to have changed much, and I guess they were - in former times - much more chaotic and unorganized than nowadays. They live(d) in small communities, roaming the lands (also the southern Sarvonian parts). They outnumbered the humans in the very beginnings.

However, orcish "cultures" developed later on in the North, gathering around some humans leading them and teaching some mighty selected orcish shamans. These cultures were/are similar to human kingdoms, but the reign of these orcish/human tyrants is much fiercer of course.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2000, 08:39:00 »

Yes, still alive! :) By the way, the new relationship didn't work out....that might explain why I suddenly have time to be in the works section? :/
First draft of Brownie history complete. I want to get something good enough for the Works section to you before I go to China on monday. Will add more later, but with the operation coming up, don't know how soon. I seem to remember your changing your e-mail address. what is it now?

Edited by Greybark  at: 9/8/00 5:53:54 pm
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2000, 12:28:00 »

Well, relationships aren't easy as I can confirm... *haha* So cheer up! Brownies are eager to get some entries in the books of history=)

Yup, and e-mail-address has changed to artimidor@yahoo.com - inbox waiting eagerly... *grin*

Once again a reminder: Santharia will hopefully move this weekend. Correct URL will remain once and for all welcome.to/santharia

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2000, 09:30:00 »

very much for all your help. I'm also giving the Brownie language a complete facelift :) Not too important for placenames or storyline of course, but I'm sure it will catch the imagination of millions and develop a cult following :)  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2000, 11:34:00 »

BTW: (Elven) Runes are one thing Koldar Mondrakken (our newest German member) is designing currently, discerning between "classic", mythological runes and runes for writing. He's currently working on the elemental runes and the runes for Avá, Coór, the Xeuá and some gods, so hopefully we can present you some of those very soon;)  Coat of arms he's also designing contain several of these new runes.

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2000, 04:19:00 »

I'm in an internet cafe in the middle of Wuhan China, waiting over an hour for Yahoo to give me my email......not a very good connection here! :p  
I assume you wrote me an email regarding Brownie History? I'll check tommorrow in Hong Kong. Don't have it memorized so can't add too much from here. Also a typo: more than a million should be half a million.
Language: completely reworked. The way the Brownie history is going, it is a created language rather than an evolved language, and it is being reworked to reflect some of that. A lot more organized. Remember Brownie quicktalk? 225 words total, (15 exclamations and 210 "noun-subject-thingies") almost finished. Only a dozen or so to go, and the first true Brownie/English English/Brownie dictionary can be released. more than a thousand "modifiers" are possible, so that part will take a little longer. "Names" will be the fourth category, possiblities numbering in the tens of thousands. After the nouns and modifiers are completed, it should be possible to say anything in Brownie, Santharian or otherwise, ancient or modern. I'm trying to design it as a complete, compact language.
Discriptions: I've just traveled through unbelievably amazing scenery....if I had not seen it, I would not have believed it....Near the Three Gorges on the Yangtse River in China is a place called the Golden Knife Gorge...striking....I want to base the gate at the vale of the Brownies on it somewhat....I'll be working on a fresh description (it won't affect the map) possibly of the whole valley, and may eventually include it in a story about the discovery of the Vale of Brownies.
Hmmm....I think that's it for now....Take care everyone!

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel Edited by: 9/18/00 7:22:37 pm
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2000, 12:34:00 »

*hehe* I just recognize that you've reached posting level 10 "Brownie Scout" - seems like you've found your destiny now, Greybark:)

And I hope you enjoyed your coffee!

Now correcting the million number - will be up soon... (made some web design improvements, that's why it lasted that long, some of these improvements you will see not yet, but I learned a good deal about HTML these days)

And yup, great to hear what you're planning/have already accomplished - I already see Santharian students sitting with smoking brains at college, memorizing runes and converting elven language to the brownie tongue - saying: "Why the hell do we need that!? - We will never see an elf nor a brownie!?" *hahahaha*

Description also sounds fine:)  I see you've accumulated lots of inspiration, so let your imagination rule!

BTW: How's your shoulder? Everything fine?

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2000, 21:33:00 »

LOL!!  I love the college analogy! I hope someone uses it! :)
Yes! I'm finally a Brownie! *steps out of his dwarven clothes, looks around for a leaf to wrap himself in* :)
shoulder will be operated on day after tomorrow in Hong Kong...I'll let you guys know how many arms I end up with after they let me get to a computer with net access :) Three or four might be nice....multitasking would be that much easier :)

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2000, 10:35:00 »

Hey Art, does COÓR'EFÉR ever check these boards? I just got around to reading his Denilou stories...a very good read. He seems to be building a community with representatives from all the Santh races (except gnomes and browns). Do you think he would be interested in having some brownies? I'm trying to diverge the colonies from the main group as much as possible, (working on the Akdor dialect of the Brownie language -- so different lifestyle, language, customs, sociology, etc. are all appropriate, diverging from around 3500-4000 b.S. Physical form, racial characteristics, etc, I could help him with, but just about everything else can be up to him, if he wants. Do you think he'd be interested? He can have anywhere from two or three treefuls (1000 or less) up to 50,000 maximum. Remember the a group has to keep its numbers above 200 or so to stay biologically viable.

I have a strange question for you, too.I think I've asked it before. It seems to me that the border between the Aeolia Etherial Void and the Desert of Light would have some strange properties -- would that area be more moldeable by dreaming, since it is the edge of the dream? I'm thinking of a very small community of Brownies there (several hundred), living in a weird half here half there, half dream half reality kind of world. What would you think of that? is it workable? Do you have any insights?  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2000, 11:29:00 »

Well, Coór'Efér seems to be lost in space somewhere (his brother too as I haven't heard anything from him since they have lost the UK domain password)... Anyway, as far as I know you can't expect Coór'Efér to be back before a year or so and he doesn't have any internet on his mission at Mocambique. Coór'Efér, Dalá'Valannía and Vaelaron were the very first members and once upon a time we posted every day here on the boards and had lots of fun. Especially Coór'Efér was a valueable addition to our illustruous group and Vaelaron even drew him as a dwarf once, representing Brok (BTW: Brok in fact is the name of his dog *grin*). Ah, well, those were the days.

Concerning Brownies: It's not only Coór'Efér's story which currently lacks Brownies. To connect Coór'Efér's Brok story more to Santharian History I invented the Sarvonian War III and after I had the main history entries I wrote the history in more detail in the story of the "Sarvonian Dawn" (approx. 15 pages). It is still in German on the site. However, when I last met Gnaevio he said that he was already done with translating this part (which was more than 2 months ago). Gnaevio obviously went to a longer holiday trip which he does quite often, and I haven't met him since then, but I guess he will be around very soon. So the "Sarvonian Dawn" should be up soon, I hope. What I wanted to say: The story is completed, and it has no Brownies in it and it would be a bit difficult to change major parts of this.

Denilou will be a bit difficult, but concerning Brownies going south I propose: Just invent something different how Brownies got to Aeruillin, e.g. some adventurerers trying to sail towards the Injera, the sun, and then burning in the Burning Sea, and eventually only a few Brownies survived... or something similar...

And yup, "strange properties" is the right word. It may be a world there which is much closer to dreaming than to anything else. Please note that the etherial void to the north ends in utter darkness, so the dreams there will be much closer to nightmares, to the south it can be vice versa. It may also be that there is some sort of dimensional gate to the south, where only dreamers or powerful magicians may enter. Maybe it is some sort of connecting world where the borders between dream and reality are quite unstable (see Feist or Robert Jordans "Ways"), so that people can move to any places there if they just WANT.

Hope that helped a bit:)  

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 September 2000, 04:30:00 »

One armed typing.....hmmmm......for three months.....expect my posts to be shorter :)
Brownie History updqate has been e-mailed to Art...
Just thought you might want to know....
:)
The Brownie Scout:

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 29 September 2000, 09:44:00 »

Thanx for the mail, oh one-armed brownie scout - will be up next update:) HTML-page looks pretty fine, and I won't even have to do anything than upload it *hehehe*

And 3 months you say??? Hell, what will you do this whole time with only one hand???

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 September 2000, 23:12:00 »

That, indeed, is the question I'm beginning to ask myself...Frankly I have no idea as yet.....It's my right arm, too, and I'm right-handed.

Yet another request for information, also finding out how much I should create myself. I need to find out what certain places are like, what lives there, climate, special traits, etc. Basically all the places that might have an impact on Aeolian Brownies, as follows:
Desert of Light
Nytharia
Nytharian Dunes
Plain of the Forsaken
Thybross
Plains of the Dead
Also, are there really giant fanged worms wandering the desert? Have they been developed yet?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 30 September 2000, 00:39:00 »

Hmmmm... I have to admit there isn't ANY information concerning the places you mention here. I just designed the map and usually invent stories whenever I need these places... So you can think up something in case you want...

Also the worms were just drawn to be added to the map and serve no purpose currently. But I guess these worms will be the same as the so-called "Bloodworms" - some of these will appear in Chapter IV of the "Avaesthoría" in the depths of Hegedorn. They feast on blood and are utterly blind. They only follow the noises they hear. I have to admit that I was inspired in this respect by a film which was something about sandworms terrorising a small village - eventually you know it - I've seen it already 3 times (obviously Austrian TV is not very creative - well, they just found out about Reality soaps: oh my god!)...

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 74
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 76
Total: 76

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!