Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Scribes Board(writers forum)  (Read 7409 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 11 January 2001, 16:29:00 »

*hehe* Sorry, old Artimidor is becoming a little senile lately, but there was no hint to you at your profile... Anyway, nice that you're dropping in, RhyshanLord.

Maybe you can tell us a few things of what you're planning and where you'd like to place your Crimson Isles on the Aér'aí'chánian world. If you can do a sketch or already have one of the Isles mail them to me and I'll take a look.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
GeneralThorongilKyreal

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2001, 17:36:00 »

I have recently updated the story of nostrafus. It is of course far from over but it is starting to unfold into something i didn't expect. i'm going to start linking him to ancient santharia soon, and how he came to be on his misty isle

GeneralThorongilKyreal

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 January 2001, 17:46:00 »

A map has recently been recovered from the hands of a dead follower of Nostrafus, which was saved from destruction by swift swordsmanship and skill. The Description is as follows:
the isle is 25 miles long and 40 miles in width.
  The Isle itslef is given the name "The Isle of Wrath". Around the whole of the isle lies a wall black as night, and from it emits a dark inpenatrable mist which makes the isle invisible to any non follower seeking it. When the wall is visible, many corpses are seen hanging from it some recently deceased, some have been there for ages. It is justly labeled "The Gate of Sorrow", for at it's center lies a huge blac water gate, which can only be opened by magical means. The isle itself is "C" shaped, forming a natural harbor which is labled "The Bay of Wrath." It's population comes from four major points:three ports and the City of Death,where Nostrafus sits on his throne.
The main, and centermost port is called Port of Dispair, and it spans three miles along the bay. the other two are only 1 mile, one at each tip of the "c." The westernmost of these is called ShanteTown, and the other is Neamon's Tomb.
From the bay the isle it'self sans outward, revealing a twisted and blackened mountain rich in watersources. various breeding pens and farmlands could be seen, although they are nameless. Upon the top of the mountain lies The City of Death. It is indeed a great city, spanning a long way down the mountain (at least 5 or six miles around). Atop the monutain itself lies "The Citadel of Nostrafus," where his throne sits. The citadel is large and black, and has many spires. it would cost many lives to try and take that citadel by all accounts.  

GeneralThorongilKyreal

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 January 2001, 17:48:00 »

I am moving on to the rinath in my writings, so right now Nostrafus is on the back burner, expect more on him in the future though!

RhyshanLord

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 January 2001, 18:06:00 »

Sure, I`ll start a sketch and send it by tommorow

GeneralThorongilKyreal

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 January 2001, 18:51:00 »

**This is the true report of them, and quite contrary to the last one**

The Rinath were created by a kind hearted mage at the end of the War of Wrath, by a mage of the same name.

A ship was sinking near his home in the crimson isles (Name used by permission, thanks Ryshan Lord). He could hear it's 250 Human passengers cries in for help, and he immediately felt pity in his heart. He summoned his very life force to save these people, and to them he altered their bodies and gave his essence to them. Through his powers, they grew scales fins on thier arms, as well as webbed feet and gills for sustained breathing under water. Another atribute is a second set of eyelids which deploys when they are underwater for enhanced vision. So in truth the Rinath are little more than amphibious Humans.

The ship went down, but the startled "newborn" race found that they could breath under water, as well as swim as fast as any dolphin. They swam around in the water playfully, utterly delighted at their newfound abilities.

Then, as if the wind itself called them, a voice came into their minds: "come to me oh my children, for my time is short."

Immediately they all swam toward the island, whether it be by instinct or design, I know not. They arrived to find the mage sitting against a tree near the shore.

In his dying words he said unto them: "I have soared your lives by altering your form. Whether it be a sin against the gods I shall soon find out. My words to you my children are do not trust those who were once your brethren completely, for they will surely fear you. And as in most humans with fear comes hatred. Live your lives in peace with all you meet."  

And with that he died.

Taking to heart the wizards words one brave male stepped forward and said unto them "Brothers and Sisters, his words are ever true, we must hide ourselves from they who were once our kin, for their hearts are the same as ours were. We of the Rinath" (from then on calling themselves that without knowing why) "shall have to hide from the rest of the world."

The others agreed and elected this new leader to be their King (he was in fact the captain of the ship). Claudius the Wise he was named, first king of the Rinath, and thus their race was born.

The First Kingdom was humble, they lived in an underwater cave of the isles. They collected kelp and other such weeds and plants of the sea to live on, until they learned to cultivate their new plants, and farm them underwater. Fish they used as their primary meat, and eventually formed schools of them into herds, training dolphins and other intelligent sea mammals as "sheep dogs." And thus the kingdom grew from 250 to 500, and that grew to 1000 over many years, until the whole underwater world of the crimson isles became populated by them. Vast and glorious underground cities were built into the islands, rivaled by that of only the dwarves.

To this day the communities are fashioned after those of old. They are built largely in submerged seacaves, or tunneled  into the continental shelves. Ther cities, towns and villages are circular, the housing is on the outer layer of the circle, market places, plazas, inns, and shops are built toward in the middle layer, and at the very the center is the Government Building, in which the king, or local government conducts the business of the community.

The society is indeed complex. The King ad his officials have the final say in all matters related to governance, although the people are invited to vote on any matters of state.  Thier cheif source of food is the kelp beds the grow and other plantlife they farm, as well as large herds of various fish that they tend to.

Families are important, and almost clannish. One may pay Homage to a King or city official, but to earn respect for one's family is the first priority in Rinathian Life. Many in fact live with thier parents until they have children of thier own, and even then they live in the same area. Entire neighborhoods may consist of one family, and a marriage to another important family gains prestige in Rinathian Circles. In major families, artisans, craftsmen, fishermen, heardmen farmers, labourers, and other tradesmen all work directly for thier family, or hire out to build the family funds.

Rinathian artwork and craftsmen ship is indeed unique. Ther artwork, or so it is said reflects the very essence of life, each detail is an emotion or feeling. All Rinathian fineries are hand crafted, from thier durable fabric (they call steel-silk), to thier tapestries and statues. Thses they hve many of, and will use these as goods to trade with other Rinathian kingdoms or cities.

They have little magic, accept to save drowning people by using a part of their life-force to make the person a Rinath. This was also a gift from the mage.
Their society is very similar to human society, though few have seen their cities, and they have the attributes of most of the races of Santharia. They are a peace loving group, but in times of peril when they must protect their homes, none are more fierce in combat.

Now in the present, many kingdoms of the Rinath exist along coastlines of isles and continents, all underground. Their numbers are unknown, but they have recently begun trade with "uplanders" as they call surface dwellers. They trade in foods, clothing, gold and their craftsmen ship. They get along with elves especially, because elves were the first to accept them as friends.

Edited by: GeneralThorongilKyreal  at: 1/12/01 3:46:10 am
RhyshanLord

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 January 2001, 18:53:00 »

Just in case there are any doubts, I have given him permission to use the Crimson Isles in the report

GeneralThorongilKyreal

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 January 2001, 18:53:00 »

Tell me what you think of my two updates on both Nostrafus and the Rinath. I love the criticism

Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 January 2001, 21:11:00 »

I love the Rinath idea!
I think we have needed an underwater culture for some time.
Is it ready for the races section yet? Are you going to develop them more? Would love to have more details! Culture, habits, location, housing, means of writing, etc...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 12 January 2001, 15:12:00 »

RINATH

Yup, can confirm this. Rinath idea sounds really fine. Underwater culture is really something we needed. Good story too, Thorongil.

However, I have to remind you on the things I've said some days ago: A race description is something important and order that I can put it on the site it needs details on the following topics (written in own paragraphs):

- Appearance
- Mytholgical Origin
- Mode of Living/Habits
- Family, Society and Culture

Try to follow this scheme. This way it is much easier to look up certain things. The part you delivered now mainly covered the Mythological Origin.

You should also take into account that it should be our goal to deliver an entry for the Santharian Compendium. Therefore I suggest to use idioms like "it is told that", "rumour has it" when speaking about a mythological origin of a race etc. - know what I mean? In order to make the entry more authentic you could also quote several passages from a journal of a traveller who has seen this lands etc. like Gean does in his upcoming entries (or you did in your Nostrafus entry). - Okeydokey?

ISLE OF WRATH

Do you have a sketch of the map? Or has Rhyshan one of the Crimsion Isles including the Isle of Wrath? The more information and the more detailed the sketch the easier it is for me to convert it to a typical Santharian one.

NOSTRAFUS

Also a nice story. If you have a final version mail it to me and I will integrate it. I see you used a "Sunless Sea" in "southern most sea of Santharia". Please note that Santharia is only part (a United Kingdom) of the world of Aér'aí'chán. The sun (the Injera) is located to the south of this world and moves up and down on this locating (=day & night). A Sunless Sea to the very south therefore is a bit of a problem. That's why the most southern continent (Aeruillin) consists mainly of deserts: The sun is very close there. Maybe we could move the Sunless Sea somewhere else...

P.S. Starting new topics for new ideas would also be good idea, I guess *grin*

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
GeneralThorongilKyreal

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 January 2001, 20:19:00 »

I am aware of what you have said am am fixing it :)  as i said before, i may never be done with them because i am indeed myself discovering new things about them. Baout the sketches: You'll have to ask Ryshan Lord, he said he'd do both the crimson isles and the isle of wrath.

***Look for these changes in my stories over the next few days***
-a complete and thourough description of the Rinath
-As well as Mode of Living and Family habits

I think the origin I have written explains them pretty well, and it could also fit the description of a "mythological origin." tell me what you think...By the way, i think i did provide a description of the Rinath. Here is the direct quote"Through his powers, they grew scales and fins, as well as webbed feet and gills for sustained breathing under water. So in truth the Rinath are little more than amphibious Humans."
I will add more as to society and family structure as i come up with new ideas (probably on my lunch break at work today)as well as mode of living and habits (which i also think i put in there; Quote:"The First Kingdom was humble, they lived in an underwater cave of the isles. They collected kelp and other such weeds and plants of the sea to live on, until they learned to cultivate their new plants, and farm them underwater. Fish they used as their primary meat, and eventually formed schools of them into herds, training dolphins and other intelligent sea mammals as "sheep dogs." And thus the kingdom grew from 250 to 500, and that grew to 1000 over many years, until the whole underwater world of the crimson isles became populated by them. Vast and glorious underground cities were built into the islands, rivaled by that of only the dwarves.
        Now in the present, many kingdoms of the Rinath exist along coastlines of isles and continents, all underground. Their numbers are unknown, but they have recently begun trade with "uplanders" as they call surface dwellers. They trade in goods, clothing, gold and their craftsmen ship. They get along with elves especially, because elves were the first to accept them as friends.
        They have little magic, accept to save drowning people by using a part of their life-force to make the person a Rinath. This was also a gift from the mage.
their society is very similar to human society, though few have seen their cities, and they have the attributes of most of the races of Santharia. They are a peace loving group, but in times of peril when they must protect their, none are more fierce in combat.") If this does not suffice I will indeed detail it to the last "t" :)

CONCERNING NOSTRAFUS:

I will also get that done and sent in for you...i am trying to get his story intertwined into santharian history...

Thank you for your feedback it was most resourceful and enlightening!

Thorongil Kyreal  

GeneralThorongilKyreal

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 January 2001, 20:37:00 »

well i'd rather kkeep all my ideas here, it's easier fr me to keep track of...if you'd lie i can eep my ideas here as well post them on another heading...do you agree with that master art?

Thorongil Kyreal

Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 January 2001, 21:25:00 »

Art: Please describe in more detail how the sun is in the south, as that may affect, well, everything astronamically :)
Also, maybe re-arranging the rinath description into categories would work for the Compendium entry?

GeneralThorongilKyreal

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12 January 2001, 21:50:00 »

I have recently added to the rinathian report, on ther culture and society...tell me what you think!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 13 January 2001, 16:36:00 »

RhyshanLord tried to mail a Crimson Isles sketch but unfortunately there was a problem there. Somehow the pic didn't get through, so I hope that the map arrives at another mail.

And all fine with your contributions, Thorongil - you can still add details to your races, persons etc. whenever you like. Just would like to put a first version on the site if possible.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 1/12/01 10:39:38 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 110
Online Ever: 580
(07 December 2019, 09:39:18)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 5
Total: 5

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)