Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Battle of the Winds  (Read 2658 times)
Drogo
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 12 August 2001, 14:42:00 »

It is said that four powerful Archmages came together and fought near what became Eight Winds Bay in the last battle of the War of the Chosen in Northern Sarvonia.  At the time, it was a verdant plain, which had seen many struggles during this war.  However, none like the one it saw during this battle.  Thousands were slain on all sides, Finally, the archmages threw all of their magic and powers at eachother until their spells became so horrible that the very earth beneath them was shattered and the sea poured in killing the Archmages and their armies with them.  The magic put into affect during that horrific battle was the making of Eight Winds bay, and the three islands are all that is left of that once plentiful plain.  The whirlpool in the middle of the bay is thought to be the results of magic that still lingers in the area.  However, this is scoffed at by academics, as nothing but a natural occurrence.

Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2001, 09:06:00 »

Oi you. Stop having ideas. It takes me weeks and weeks to come up with one concept, then you go and have like four in one afternoon ;)  

Wren
questions, questions.....

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2001, 11:50:00 »

Wren, you have to think this way: My GOd, is this guy stupid!! Posting four ideas one afternoon means he'll have to make four incredible huge(!!!!) - the way Art likes them! ;)  - compendium entries while you can go out into the sun, enjoy life and have a good time.
Drogo won't leave his desk for another two weeks with this amount of new ideas that need to be worked out!

*hehe*

Poor, poor Drogo! ;)

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2001, 13:07:00 »

:lol  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2001, 21:22:00 »

Sorry if I'm being a par-poo but damn, there's a lot of archmages running around! Are they churning them out like D.I.Y sorcery?? :lol  

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2001, 10:04:00 »

I figure that a total of four ruled the entirety of Northern Sarvonia, map part 1.  That's thousands and thousands of miles to split up, and one from the North, East, South, West.

Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2001, 13:53:00 »

Sounds like the wizard of Oz

Only teasing hun. sounds like a great idea.

Wren
questions, questions.....

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 August 2001, 14:52:00 »

I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too.  hehehehe :evil  
I mean ummm, it's different I swear!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2001, 15:02:00 »

Yup, we can use that, but: more details, he said... *grin*

I initially thought about the Eight Winds Bay as a place where strong winds blow from all directions (some sort of a natural phenomenon, mayhaps magically influenced). It could be that the heavy natural magical influence in this region combined with magical fights caused some enormous storms there which led to major destruction...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 August 2001, 18:03:00 »

Like a constant hurricane? Powerful air mages can create phenomena such as this. In Corloth (not completely developed) there is one such location where the wind blows straight up out of a rift.

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 August 2001, 09:57:00 »

:(  I know Art, they will be a coming, just put some stuff up to see what people would think about it.  I'm working on it.  Should be good to go by next update I hope, and also put a rough draft (that will be made much longer, no worries Art) of Northern Sarvonia History up either at the end of this week or middle of next.

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2001, 17:06:00 »

Battle of  the Winds (9023 b.s.)  

It is said that the four powerful Archmages of Northern Sarvonia came together and fought near what became Eight Winds Bay in a battle that would be the beginning of the end of the War of the Chosen in that area.  Before this war, the area had been a verdant plain, but it soon became lifeless and broken as much of the land due to the many struggles it had seen during the war.  Eckra the Cruel advanced with his armies across the Plains of Rilla, intent on furthering his conquests.  Rumors had been spreading that the Archmage to the South and East had like ideas.

Three great armies, the largest that had been seen in memory converged onto the great plain outside of the Shadowlands.   The first day of battle was solely one of troops fighting.  Hours passed as people of all races fought each other.  Thousands were slain, and as night approached the armies stopped their fighting and fell back to their own camps.  In the middle of the night the Archmage of the North advanced with his armies.  He saw Eckra’s troops and sent his men against them.  Eckra’s army was caught with little warning, and was being overcome, when He sent a surprise against the northern troops.  Packs of netherbeasts joined the fray.  The sounds of battle brought the men of the other two Archmages into the fight as well.  The men from the North were caught in the middle of it all and drew back to a defensive position.  There was an uneasy silence for some hours.

Day two of the battle saw the unleashing of magic and creatures of legend.  Netherbeasts, griffins, and unicorns were used alongside of humans, orcs, troll, elves, and countless other races.  Jagged streaks of lightning coursed through the sky, fire turned legions to ashes, the very ground exploded beneath combatants.  The ground ran with blood and was littered with the corpses of the dead, the battle went this way and that.  However, by the end of the day’s fighting, it was still locked into a stalemate.

The third and final day of the battle began once again with magic.  This time though there were things that had never been dreamed of.  The devastation of lives and the cruel rendering of flesh occurred more and more.  Finally magic of the air were being used, arguable the most devastating of forces, hurricanes, gales, and even darkwinds were released. The power of the magic that was released made the very earth beneath the Archmages armies’ shatter.  The sea then poured in killing the Archmages and all their forces with them.  The magic put into affect during that horrific battle was the making of Eight Winds bay, and the three islands are all that is left of that once plentiful plain.

The whirlpool in the middle of the bay is thought to be the results of magic that still lingers in the area.  However, this is scoffed at by academics, as nothing but a natural occurrence.

Winlok
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 August 2001, 08:12:00 »

The reader reads this line..."The whirlpool in the middle of the bay"...and goes to the map of Northern Sarvonia, expecting to see a whirpool. There is no whirlpool, nor any indication that one exists.

Ekra is facing the Southern and Eastern Mage's, when the Northern Mage sneaks up on him. Through the whole passage you never mention the Western Mage once.

Just thought I would mention it.

Drogo
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 August 2001, 10:35:00 »

Very good points and my thanks for pointing them out Winlock.  As for the Western mage, it seems I have to make it more apparent that he is Eckra.  

As for the whirlpool, that will have to be added eventually if possible, just as Eckra's keep, the name at the Mynian plains, and perhaps a few other things, such as some cities and such in the Celeste Lowlands.  Or if this is not possible, then I will have to simply add them when I do a zoom in map for certain areas.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 18 August 2001, 13:33:00 »

Some additions from my side too: Try to name things like the Northern Mage. Give him and his followers a name! This will make the whole thing look more worked out, even if there is no big story behind the name (yet). Also refer more often to certain geographical details, this will also make all descriptions more plastic (is this a context I can use this word in English?). And - no unicorns please in the War of the Chosen! Unicorns are supposed to represent innocence and purity, so I suggest they shouldn't take part in such a war!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]