Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Weapon - crossbow  (Read 5006 times)
Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 January 2002, 10:22:00 »

Koldar: oh yes, the Chinese historically had lots of cool toys....I seem to remember a bow-like machine that could shoot 10 arrows at a time....
Legolas: How does the use and structure of the regular bow change as it varies in size?

Brownie Expert

legolas acher

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 January 2002, 16:16:00 »

Ok Art I think I could come up with something

LEGOLAS:" Uragels offical translator"life is like the flight of an arrowmake it true

legolas acher

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 January 2002, 16:48:00 »

Showed the discription to a crossbow expert at my club and he made the following point:

1 it takes longer to load and draw a crossbow

2because of its prod (bow )is short in length its draw is also short 14inch max

3its range is not greater than a longbow because its energy drops off quicker

4 its only accurate over a short distance

the device they discribed was an arablast for shooting shot similar to cannonballs more a catapult really

Hope this helps

LEGOLAS:" Uragels offical translator"life is like the flight of an arrowmake it true

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 January 2002, 21:24:00 »

I call dibs on an automatic crossbow! I've actually got an entire mechanism worked out which doesn't even used strings, and when I can figure out how to do with it Paint I'll send it in to Art to see if he can host it and put up my description for it.

But it's mine to describe!

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Xenos Ravenbeack

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 January 2002, 17:56:00 »

The R'unorians also have a modification on the cross bow

R'unorian infantry crossbow:another varity of crossbow was developed in R'unor around the year -700b.s. this is a slightly elongated variation on the standard heavy crossbow, the major diffrence being that these models were actulay two crossbows stacked on top of each other, alowing the bow to fire both shots simutaniosly or sepretly

R'unorian Navel Crossbow:More of a small blaista than a crossbow in actuality these are simply enlarged versions of the heavy crossbow that take 4 foot metal shafted arrows, usualy with the head coated with pitch and set alight

R'unorian cavelry crossbow: very much similar to the infantry crossbow eccept with 3 bow mechanisms and a harness so it can be fired one handed, also it is slighly longer ranged than typical but only by a few feet.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 25 January 2002, 02:59:00 »

Legolas:

Did you see the romantic but historically-laughable movie "First Knight"? (Richard Gere, I believe?)

It had, of all things....miniature handheld crossbows.  I think the idea was to create something equivalent to the gun in contemporary drama - a small, vicious, distance weapon.

However, would such a creation even work?  By work, I mean, would it have enough tension in an eight-inch long bowspan and a three or four inch pull to actually propel a small dart with any kind of force (like hit someone at a distance of ten yards and have him be more than scratched?)   It looked pretty preposterous to me, but I'd like an expert's opinion.

The reason I ask is that the Thergerim could use some sort of distance weapon for underground - they have their axes, and I could design small throwing axes as well, but those take up a lot of room.  A small dart-chucking device would be handy, but I don't know if the crossbow would be appropriate or not.

Please advise.

Regards from the Bard

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

legolas acher

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 January 2002, 15:26:00 »

Bard :- My dear friend the idea of a pistol crossbow is actually a reality. It depends on which size you wish to make it but the "Phantom Pistol" is a type of crossbow that an easily be held in one hand  but is only accurate over short distances.

Hope this Helps

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 January 2002, 16:04:00 »

I would guess as dwarves are masters in creating things they would find a solution to make such weapons useful (perhaps with magic...) but somehow I have always far too big weapons in my head when I think about dwarves. You know this kind of battleaxe where you wonder how such a small man can handle that. Perhaps, for some reason, they would find such weapons to be more a kind of toy.
But there's only my imagination of far to small people with long beards and red and big noses speaking! ;)  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Never Surrender! Never Retreat! ...and don't drink and drive... ;)--

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 January 2002, 23:36:00 »

Since you mentioned First Knight, Bard, I had to throw in my two cents on the movie:

I loved the first 15 minutes. Having the crowd clap to "we will rock you" was hilarious! They build everything up well and it was exciting!

I also really enjoyed the last 15 minutes, when the king stepped in, and everything wound up to a great conclusion.

It was the hour and some between these two 15 minute segments that I found quite tedious at times. Oh, it had its minutes, but was quite slow.....

Anyway, just felt I had to rant, even if a bit off-subject. My apologies in advance, everyone! :)

Brownie Expert

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 January 2002, 03:04:00 »

You mix something up, Grey.

First Knight is something with Richard Gere and Sean Connery and really really bad concerning realism (really bad).

You're speaking about "A Knight's Tale" and this one is really cool and relative accurate concerning style and weapons (only fixed the social circumstances to make it funnier and easier for the audience)

Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 26 January 2002, 04:55:00 »

I imagine shooting with a small "hand size" crossbow would be tough.. I have shot with a usual size crossbow, and I can tell you - it's really hard to hit a target! I mean pointing it is no problem (it's fairly light, and you use both hands), but then when the arrow fires, it's just a trememdous kick, and the thing is all over the place ;)  BUT I guess I could hit a big target like a horse, from 10-20 meters.. somewhere :lol

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 27 January 2002, 05:43:00 »

Thank you Koldar, I really didn't understand Greybark there (for once....)  :)

Haven't seen the Knight's Tale but I usually don't appreciate  contemporary 'satire' on historical themes - and it seems like a love-it-or-hate-it kind of flick...

Will think about what my Dwarves could use for tunnel-pot-shots (those nasty Cave Rats and Drell things, donchaknow....)   and probably Brownies will want to use the same kind of thing, no?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 January 2002, 07:06:00 »

"A Knight's Tale" is less a satire. To some degree they transferred things like Fan clubs and similar from soccer into the middle ages to make it easier for people to see the tournaments in the middle ages as what they were: Big events similar to football or soccer.
At no time they say they're accurate on anything but they made a funny and nice movie with IMO an quite accurate feel for details.

I would really suggest to watch this movie! It might be not serious or deep but it is just a nice and enjoyable work!

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 January 2002, 07:45:00 »

Nah, would rather work with regular bows (in miniature of course). They draw and shoot quicker....fits the high-strung-ness of Brownies better.  

Brownie Expert

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 28 January 2002, 14:37:00 »

I personally have a bit of a problem with the credibility of a cavalry crossbow Xenos mentioned. Would it even make sense to shoot a crossbow while riding a horse? Aiming? Concentration? Shooting? On horseback? While riding?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]