Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A new Weapon {edit}  (Read 2346 times)
Falla

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 21 June 2002, 06:26:00 »

I'm trying to get my character okayed, and everything checks out.......except the weapon.  And I sorta want my boomerang.....er whatever it gets named......!  So herea goes!

Rindima-bia.
     Description
The Rindima-bia is a simple weapon, a piece of flat wood or metal, which is curved in the middle.  The ends taper, being thinner, and narrower than the rest.  The sides could be decorated, but generally they look the same.  If the Rindima-biais wood, the edges would be rather blunt, and when thrown would leave bruises or break a bone, depended on the force used.  Metal ones however can have sharpened edges, which work like blades.  This isn’t a close combat weapon, it has to thrown.  And once throw, if thrown correctly it will soar through the air, and return to the user.  Metal ones are rarely used however, because every time someone tries to catch one they'd have to be extremely skilled, or wearing a protective glove, since the sharpened edges would take off a finger, or perhaps a whole hand.

They come is various sizes, but would have to be custom fitted to the person which they belong.  This is so that is would help more than hamper, and the balance and everything was right for that persons throwing style.

Usage
The weapon can be used by anyone with enough skill to throw and catch it.  They are rarely used in battle, although they can be (however inconvenient).  Most often it is used for hunting.  By throwing it, one could easily snap some fleeing creatures’ neck.  But since the weapons are rare to behold not many will know how to hunt with one, or fight against one.

Fighting Style
A flick of the wrist or a forceful throw will get this weapon air-born.  Grasping it by one end, and throwing it while it is horizontal, will make is twirl through the air, and after so far, return (thanks to that curve!)  It's easy to use, although a bit more difficult to judge how the wind, and elements will affect the accuracy of the return.  
Advantages
• When thrown, no matter how hard or far, it returns.
• Many have never encountered it so they have no idea how to counter it.
• It's light weight, and custom carved for the wielder.
Disadvantages
• Not a very practical battle weapon
• If one is unskilled enough they could hurt themselves on the return (or have it return in an entirely different direction)
• The possibility of taking off fingers, hands, heck....whole arms!

The last disadvantage is why when owning a metal boomerang(Rindi-whatever) a thick glove is required, preferably with something strong reinforcing it, without hindering use of the hand.

Origin/History
No one is really sure when and exactly where it came from.  Right now, if one held it up, and asked someone what it was, they would probably give a blank look, and ask, "Where'd you get that piece of junk?"
Originated first as a toy for children by some elders, hunters in human tribes found that if was handy when hunting.  The weapon caused a quick death, or sufficiently wounded animals for them to finish off.  

Later, the art of throwing, and handling this weapon died down, as more practical weapons came into play. And the only ones found were ones that were used in decorations (hanging it up on the wall to appear as though you know what it is.) .  Very few retained the knowledge of how the simple boomerang worked, and it is generally a thing of the past.

Better and better........I'll think on the suggestion of a war boomerang, although I think i'll have to go read up on them a little first.  

~

Death is inevitable, so death for the right reason is...........Just as Final.
~

Edited by: Falla  at: 6/22/02 9:19:10 am
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2002, 07:58:00 »

Welcome to the world development board, Falla!

A couple of suggestions for you, if I may.

a) The name 'boomerang' will not be acceptable, I suspect.  Could you rename it something interesting, possibly choosing a name from a language that exists in Sorren?  For example, you could ask one of our elven tribe masters if they would be interested in having this weapon as an addition to a tribe that they are developing - if they agree, they could work it into their entry and give you an elven name for it.  Or the Brownies might like this - talk to Greybark...  Or you could just choose a random interesting name, say "Borumai".

b) perhaps you could replace the words 'you' with 'one' or 'people'  or 'the user' to make the entry a bit more polished.  For example:  " it's light weight, and fitted to *you*" could read "The Borumai is light-weight, and custom-carved for the wielder."

c)  I see you have checked the Weapons Entries Format - it might also be an idea to look on the main site and see how other people have interpreted that format for their weapons.

All in all, a nice first entry.  If you can tidy it up a bit as suggested, I don't think people will have a problem with the weapon itself.  Again, welcome to the development board.

Regards from the Bard

Edited by: Bard Judith at: 6/20/02 2:59:49 pm

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Falla

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2002, 09:31:00 »

Thanks for the help......:)  

But I have a question.  Would you prefer if I did it like on the website?  Like this: (?)
Rindima-bia.
The Rindima-bia is a simple weapon, a peice of flat wood or metal, that is curved in the middle. The ends taper, being thinner, and more narrow than the rest. If the Rindima-biais wood, the edges would be rather blunt, and when thrown would leave bruises or break a bone, depended on the force used. Metal ones however can have sharped edges, that work like blades. This isnt a close combat weapon, it has to thrown. And once thrown, if thrown correctly it will soar through the air, and return to the user. Metal ones are rarely used however, because everytime someone tries to catch one they'd have to be extremly skilled, or wearing a protective glove, due to the sharpened edges.

They come is various sizes, but would have to be custom fitted to the person which they belong. This is so that is would help more than hamper, and the balance and everything was right for that persons throwing style.

They are rarely used in battle, although they can be (however inconvenient). Most often it is used for hunting. By throwing it, one could easily snap some fleeing creatures neck. But since the weapons are rare to behold not many will know how to hunt with one, or fight against one.

No one is really sure when and exactly where it came from. Orinated first as a toy for children by some elders, hunters in human tribes found that if was handy when hunting. The weapon caused a quick death, or sufficantly wounded animals for them to finish off.

Only a lot shorter......like, if I chopped some more out of it.......
And the name is subject to be changed, along with the history, I'm working on something now.

~

~

Edited by: Falla  at: 6/20/02 5:00:12 pm
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2002, 12:09:00 »

Yeah, that's already very fine as Judith pointed out. I guess it is good to have a different name as well aside from boomerang, we could perhaps interpret this as an elven weapon (a typical elven weapon in fact, one based on the element of Wind, the element they developed from). But humans can just say boomerang to the weapon, I'd say, just like a sword is a sword as well in our word. And if you search in the Compendium for a weapon you'll find it Boomerang more easier than the elven name. So we take both I'd say:)

I'll ask around if someone would like to claim this weapon for his/her tribe, then he/she can fill in some historical details perhaps. If you still want to polish it some more, feel free to do so (I still noticed some misspellings), but in general it's fine and will be up on the site soon.

Contact Artimidor - Webmaster & World Development Admin
The Santharian Dream - Where fantasy dreams come true

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2002, 13:21:00 »

You might consider a war-boomerang as well. The old Egyptians had such weapons (I won't mention the Australian boomerang-hand-grenade here! ;) ), they were made of metal as you already mentioned but as you might guess they were not meant to return. Their shape were only meant to enhance range and force of impact.

I guess that might be an interesting variation by the tribes that use it though not all might make use of such things or only used it in ancient times...

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster ;)--

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2002, 12:38:00 »

You might add a glove to the standard equipment, maybe. I thought about it 'cause normally a boomerang for hunting or war does not return hand has sharpened edges(so you won't want it to come back).
Their main advantage is their greater range compared to knives or similar throwing weapons but I guess we can stay away from reality here and make the elves or whoever uses it able to deal with returning boomerangs as well, but these sharpened edges would hurt as you already pointed out. :)  

--Santharian Master of Disaster ;)--

Falla

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2002, 02:15:00 »

Ohhhhh! Yes! Of course.  I almost forgot...........we dont want a buncha missing digits.  Thanks!

-Falla

~

~

Edited by: Falla  at: 6/22/02 9:17:00 am
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2002, 04:49:00 »

Ok, have prepared what we have so far about the weapon for next update. Nice entry, Falla:)  

Contact Artimidor - Webmaster & World Development Admin
The Santharian Dream - Where fantasy dreams come true

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 June 2002, 15:49:00 »

I've always wondered why boomerangs are meant to come back. Is it just if they miss? Then you don't have to go over and retrieve it? I'm slightly confused about this.

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 June 2002, 15:54:00 »

In fact, except training boomerangs, none were meant to return and these training boomerangs only on the basis to earn skill wth it.

Hunting boomerangs were not returning. The reason they are used are plainly that there shape makes them faster and more flight stable when thrown so you can throw it wider and with greater accuracy which you need for hunting, etc.

That's all about it from the historical side I guess. :)  

--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 69
Online Ever: 580
(07 December 2019, 09:39:18)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)