Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Proposal.....  (Read 4716 times)
Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2002, 11:28:00 »

Some various information that I'm listing here for myself cause I'm at school and can't work on the info I have saved on my comp.....

Knife - A small, usually one-edged weapon that is often used as a kitchen utensil or to carve wood with. It is a rather poor weapon to use in combat, and often times the blade is not as sharp as what is needed to grant sufficient wounds. Throwing knives are double-edged knives that are balanced to be thrown, but aren't too effective due to their small size, compared to a larger sword. When using a weapon of this type, the most common target to aim for would be the neck. Some throwing knives are fitted with a hollow groove to insert poison.

Dagger - A small, double-edged, normally secondary weapon. It is used for piercing attacks primarily, and is fitted with a very sharp point. It can be used for slashing, but being small and fitted for piercing, it does not fit well into doing a slash-type attack. ...

....Darn school bell.... grr.... *runs away from computer*

Timeras

Gained Aura: 0

Lursus/Mathis RPside

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 September 2002, 12:59:00 »

but you have forgotten my blade.. The Whirlwind.  

Timeras agian

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 September 2002, 13:01:00 »

www.santharia.com/compendium/whirlwind.htm

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 September 2002, 13:30:00 »

I don't know, that looks very fine as summary. Two things to conmsider, maybe.

First: Make less sub-categories. A Claymore and a Greatsword is about the same, the Claymore is just the English pendant of a great sword.
Also we have the problem that a Gladius was the standard blade of the Ancient Age but not of the Middle Ages and stuff. It's just that the Gladius would be seen more as an old shortsword and things.

Second: There are already some specific swords.(e.g. Centoraurian Shortsword). Instead of using many historical names and categories I would use far less (see above;) ) and instead order the existing Santharian designs into the main categories you have.
Then it would be more "santhariaized", not just a copy from popular RGPs or history books. In general, you've a category that includes Knives&Daggers(from knives to Dirk maybe), one for Shortswords, one for Broad- and Longswords and so on and then give the specific measurements of e.g. a Centoraurian Shortsword in that category.

I just think that we shouldn't just try to get our hands on any weapon we know from human history and RGP sessions but use only a general structure to use our Santharian ones.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 September 2002, 14:07:00 »

No no... I remembered your blade, Timeras... but according to the description.... it says that its blade chasis is that of a Great Sword.... so when I do the description for Great Swords, I would have listed your Whirlwind under the blades that are of Great Sword type.

I don't have every sword type here, Koldar. Some things I neglected on putting were Gothic Sword(the Goths were a nation on RL Earth, thus this sword would likely not fit due to its relation to RL.), Gladiator Sword(haven't looked, but not sure if Santh has gladiators....), Ninja Sword(so far, we don't have any of these, if we did, they would likely be called Kar'ii Swords... but Xarl didn't make mention of them with his Kasumarii and thus I did not put them), along with many more oriental weapons, and fencing weapons. I only have some medieval weapons, pretty much.

Well, what would you rather me put? Claymore or Greatsword, if they are as similar to each other as you say....

Gladius... hmm...... I could get rid of this, if you wish...... or could do, as you say, an older weapon that is pretty much not in use anymore.

Centoraurian Shortsword... I know, but see, it's of short sword class, thus when I did the summary for short sword, I would have listed the Cent Shortsword under the swords of the shortsword type. I'm sure the Cents aren't the only ones with shortswords, right? They just have a customized version.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 September 2002, 14:41:00 »

Yes a Centoraurian Shortsword would be a specific shortsword, but that is what I mean to keep it generalized and then add Santharian specifics.
It's just that some names (like the Claymore) only regional variants of a pretty general class. In that example of Bidenhanders, I guess. The Flamberge is also a Bidenhander, it just has some additional features that make it different from a Claymore but not different from the general features of a Bidenhander.

I only mean to define the categories (possibly by blade length) and then add to these categories the Santharian pendants. That doesn't prohibit the Santharian Standard Longsword like you've defined it and which is good but then you could also add that the Elves of forest ABC have a certain ABC-longsword - with a link to the weapon entry to this Santharian weapon - while the Northern humans prefer the XYZ-longsword.

That might be a good idea for any overview in this respect so when a RPG-player wants a longsword he can also see that there's a longsword variant very well fitting his Elven charakter for example.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 September 2002, 17:22:00 »

...that's what I was going to do....

'X' Sword
Description of 'X' sword.

Various customizations of this chasis of sword are: links to the swords

For example, the dagger.

Dagger. A small, double-edged, normally secondary weapon. It is used for piercing attacks primarily, and is fitted with a very sharp point. It can be used for slashing, but being small and fitted for piercing, it does not fit well into doing a slash-type attack. Often times by assassins, it will possess a hollow groove down the middle of the flat side of the blade, with a small amount of poison added to it, though some merely just dip the whole blade in a canister of poison and then let the poison set on the blade and dry. Others paint the blade with a small brush, intoxicated with venom. Daggers are fast and small, and are easily concealed.

Customizations of the Dagger are:
Crystal Dagger
Helcrani Dodger
R'unorian Commoners Dagger

Stovas Tiraj

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 September 2002, 18:46:00 »

Oh... Sorry then... :lol  

Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 September 2002, 02:20:00 »

Np, Timeras. (you're Stovas, I assume?)

Koldar.... oh yeah! There are even more sword types that I haven't included... such as the falchion, the cutlass, the .....*goes off saying the names of more sword types...*

^_~

Edited by: Dasson at: 9/22/02 9:21:37 am
Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 September 2002, 03:00:00 »

NT

Edited by: Dasson at: 9/22/02 10:16:27 am
Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 September 2002, 03:15:00 »

....on the entry... here's what I have done so far, measurement table not included.

The sword is the most common close range weapon, and is favored amongst all other weapons.

Description. The sword is made up of three parts, the handle, the hilt, and the blade.

The handle is the area where the user holds the weapon, and is usually made of metal and wrapped in a cloth material to keep the hands comfortable. Some handles are made of hardwood, which are lighter, but are more prone to breaking.

The hilt is the area that separates the blade from the handle. Its most useful property is that it can stop the descent of another blade as it travels down the sword, should the parry be done poorly. It is commonly about a hand length total, though some are longer and shorter. The hilt can come in a wide array of designs, from the simple small circular design of a moonblade, to the v-shaped design of a claymore.

The blade is the part of the sword that the weapon is most valued for. It is a sharp piece of metal, normally wedged at the top, with either two sharp edges for cutting, or one sharp and one dull. The length of the blade depends on the sword type, and the width depends on this variable as well.

Some sword blades are also designed with 'temper lines', a small groove that runs from a short distance out of the hilt to the near end of the tip. This groove's purpose is most often to hold a 'river' of poison, if the blade is fitted with the venom.

Of course, all swords may be customized by their owner, and may only turn out to be a shell of their original type.

The following Sword types are the most commonly known ones, separated into three categories, small swords, medium swords, and large swords:

SMALL SWORDS

The Knife.
A small, usually one-edged weapon that is often used as a kitchen utensil or to carve wood with. It is a rather poor weapon to use in combat, and often times the blade is not as sharp as what is needed to grant sufficient wounds. It is most effective in piercing. Knives are fast and easily concealed, but isn't much of a tool to those other than farmers and regular citizens.

Throwing knives are double-edged knives that are balanced to be thrown, but aren't too effective due to their small size, compared to a larger sword.

When using a weapon of this type, the most common target to aim for would be the neck.

The temper line of a knife, while rare, due to the knife having only one edge, runs about a nailsbreadth above the sharp edge, on both sides, curving along with the blade.

Customizations of the Knife are:
Arhk

The Dagger.
A small, double-edged, normally secondary weapon. It is used for piercing attacks primarily, and is fitted with a very sharp point. It can be used for slashing, but being small and designed for piercing, it does not fit well into doing a slash-type attack. Daggers are fast and small, and are easily concealed.

The temper line of a dagger runs along the middle of the flat side of the blade, on both sides, like most blade weapons.

Customizations of the Dagger are:
Crystal Dagger
Helcrani Dodger
R'unorian Commoners Dagger

The Dirk.

Customizations of the Dirk are:

MEDIUM SWORDS

The Short Sword.
The short sword is a small, double-edged sword, not much longer than a dagger or a dirk. It is usually wielded in one-hand, as to leave the other arm open for a shield or secondary weapon. It is a common weapon, and one of the first thought of swords when one mentions the word, "sword".
The temper line of a short sword runs along the middle of the flat side of the blade, on both sides, like most blade weapons.

Customizations of the Short Sword are:
Centoraurian Shortsword.

The Gladius.

Customizations of the Gladius are:

The Sabre.

Customizations of the Sabre are:
Centoraurian Cavalry Sabre

The Moonblade.

Customizations of the Moonblade are:

The Scimitar.

Customizations of the Scimitar are:

The Broadsword.

Customizations of the Broadsword are:
Erpheronian Broadsword

The War Sword.
Also, and more commonly known as, the long sword, this is the weapon most commonly used by knights on foot. It is one-handed, allowing the use of a shield, and is double-edged. The long sword is named due to its length, which is, as it says, 'long'. The long sword is the longest one-handed weapon.

The temper line of a war sword runs along the middle of the flat side of the blade, on both sides, like most blade weapons.

Customizations of the War Sword are:

LARGE SWORDS

The Bastard Sword.

Customizations of the Bastard Sword are:

The Claymore.

Customizations of the Claymore are:

The Two-Handed Sword.

Customizations of the Two-Handed Sword are:

The Great Sword.

Customizations of the Great Sword are:
Whirlwind

The Flamberge.
Flamberges are the 'pikes' of the swords. They are so huge and powerful, that they are of practically no use in a melee. They are used in the front lines of an army, directly in front of the pikemen, and are used to cut down advancing troops in one swift wave. The pikemen behind them use their pikes in-between each of the men armed with flamberges.

Flamberges are double-edged, and often have a curved blade. Very few flamberges have temper lines, and the ones that do are on the flamberges with straight blades.

Being so huge and slow, when a flamberge user enters into melee combat, he is forced to drop the flamberge and brandish a more suitable weapon.

Customizations of the Flamberge are:

(basically, if you want to see a flamberge in action, watch Lord of the Rings, at the big war scene... right when the orcs charge the humans... remember that row of humans with those really big swords? And how they, in one wave, cut down all of the advancing orc line? Those are flamberges.)

I haven't taken into consideration any of Koldar's advice yet, fyi.

Gararion

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 September 2002, 03:24:00 »

very good job here Dasson.  Can't wait till it is completly done.  It looks like it is going to take a lot of work to complete though but I will be glad to read it when it is finished.  Good Job!

This flame is a symbol of the deep fire within my soul that feeds on knowledge and power...

Zas Gorloch

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 September 2002, 22:22:00 »

Those are elves in the big war scene... The wird thing is I designed the Whirlwinds based on those... :lol  

Anyway... great entry so-far

Fox
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 September 2002, 22:28:00 »

Well... elves and humans.... or whatever, you can't tell because of the helmets, and I've never read the book, so I don't know if it says there..... though I'm not sure whether elves would have the strength to lift a flamberge.... o.O

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]