Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: a new game: Sjeibett  (Read 2365 times)
the Akorn
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 09 September 2002, 09:01:00 »

Sjeibett:

Game name:
The original name for this game was Sjeibett. That name originated from a word meaning flying disc. That peculiar word is not used anymore as a word, but only as a name on this game.
Another, more commonly used name is simply Disc. It is more a nickname than an original name, but to most people, this is the only name.

History:
Sjeibett came from the area around Carmalad several hundred years ago, probably invented by commoner boys without too much to do. The game was played in the streets, giving a large nuisance to passersby or those living nearby as stray discs could crack windows, or strike the unwary. In the worst cases, it might ruin one of the local dyers work. After a while, the locals tired of all the playing in the streets, and managed to get the children to play it outside the city walls. By this time, a lot of those who played Disc as a child had grown up. Some of the adults started to frequent the playing fields to refresh their knowledge in Disc. In time, adult men started to say, that they "refresh their youth" by playing.

During the years, the knowledge, or as some say, the art of Sjeibett, spread trough most off South Sarvonia, and large chunks of North Sarvonia. Most boys play this game frequently, and some who grown up still do. Soldiers in garrison duty often play Disc, both for their own amusement, and to keep their shape.

In the latest century, Sjeibett teams put together of workers who rather enjoy this game play games between themselves. The most common ways to arrange these teams are either between trades and guilds, or neighborhoods. The games played between teams is on friendly basis, and is somewhat sponsored by gambling. A lot of people gamble on who will win, and the score results. The teams thus make enough money to give the players a light compensation for the use of their time. This only concerns the more popular teams, like the South Carmalad Dyers. (just a random name)
Teams sometimes play tournaments on holidays, when people usually don't have much to do.

Diagram: Disc is usually played in a square, with about 40 peds long sides each way.  The goal (where the disc is supposed to be thrown trough, is at one of the corner, and the other at the opposite corner.
(I hope to send Arti a picture of the field soon)
In front of the goals, a line, often a spot where the earth is tumbled, or the grass is dug away, 4 peds away from the 3 peds broad, and 2 peds high goal. To step over that line is not allowed, and will get anyone who steps over its team into penalty.
Another line is drawn at the middle, from one side-corner to another. That line separates the two opposing teams part of the field.

Equipment:
The equipment of Sjeibett is one flat disc dearly a fore in diameter , made of small twigs for the shape, and covered with hay or other light organic material. The covering material is prepared with a kind of glue that makes it stick together.

Among children and other who just play for fun, any number of players is allowed, as long as the teams is as even as possible. But among more "serious" players, 7 are the maximum number of players allowed on the field in one time. It is of course possible to play with less if you want to.

There is no specific rule about player placement, but it is common to have two at the back, called defenders, and one right and one left flank players, 2 at attack and one everywhere.

One game lasts for about tree quarters of an hour.

The usual markers are a line of soil on the grass, or a trench about a palmspan wide, and a few nailsbreadth deep. Some uses small stones in a line to mark it, or sand.

The goals are 3 planks in a shape like this, but this is just upside down: |_| the ones pointing up are about 2 peds long, and the one in the middle is 3 peds long. The point of the game is to get the disc trough the goal more times than the opposite team.

Setup:
It is common politeness to shake hands with the other team before and after the match.
The 2 teams flip a coin to figure out who will start with the disc.

Rules:
Not allowed:
1 Kick, punch, tickle or jump on anybody.
2 Step over the corner lines
3 Insult the judge (if any).
4 Not wearing clothes are forbidden.
5 Take more than 4 steps with the disc in your possession.
6 Stepping out of the field with the disc
7 Letting the disc touch the ground.

Penalties:
1 Player is thrown out of the game.
2 The opposing team gets one point and the disc.
3 Player is thrown out of the game.
4 Sent away to get clothes.
5 Opposing team gets the disc.
6 Opposing team gets the disc where the disc crossed the line, and the one to send it, must trow to a team member.
7 Oposing team gets the disc.

Points and rules of the game:
To score, send the disc trough the goal. For each time you score, you get one point. To win, you need to have more points than the opposing team when the time runs out.  

It is allowed to take a hold on players clothes, but only for a brief second. Pushing with the shoulder when the disc is in the air is allowed.

And I think I got most of it now.  
Starting to draw the "field-map" now.

Edited by: the Akorn at: 9/14/02 6:21:48 pm
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2002, 07:52:00 »

interesting. Wonder if this game is possible to play.

http://www.klintorth.com/images/misc/vir.gif">
*pokey de Viresse* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

the Akorn
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2002, 07:10:00 »

I've tried it some time ago, and yes, it is actually playable

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2002, 11:44:00 »

Is it not finished yet? Let me know when it's completed, then I'll check in more detail.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
the Akorn
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2002, 11:11:00 »

nearly done, but not entirely

the Akorn
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2002, 07:13:00 »

lets just say it's done...

Gararion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2002, 09:25:00 »

This sounds very familar.  Where you live if you don't mind me asking?

It sounds like a game my highschool plays in gym.  It is called Frisbee Football or something like that.  It sounds excactly like it.  You can't rn with frisbee and you have to pass it up the field and get it pass the touch down line.  If the frisbee touches the ground no point is awarded but other team gets the frisbee.

If your team doesn't have the frisbee in ther possession than you have to be at least 5 feet away from the person with the frisbee and can only knock it down from the air.  If it touches the ground your team gets frisbee but if the team that did have possession stops it from touching the ground they still have possession of frisbee.

There are other rules that are the same and others that aren't but it really sounds like the game we play at school in gym class.

This flame is a symbol of the deep fire within my soul that feeds on knowledge and power...

the Akorn
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2002, 08:18:00 »

Field Diagram:

1) Starting circle
2) Middle line
3) Line corners
4) Goal line - do not step over
5) Measurement line - Its advised to prepare the throw when crossing it to avoid stepping over the goal line.
6) Goal
7) Field Flanks
8)  Field Centre

"Self-proclaimed squirrel"

the Akorn
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 November 2002, 08:22:00 »

Garaion, I dare to say that I've never even heard about Frisbee Football. My original idea was a combination of a Frisbee and waterpolo, but that wouldn’t work, so I'd rather use handball.
Didn’t notice your post until now...

"Self-proclaimed squirrel"

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2002, 09:22:00 »

Ok, will add this field diagram to the entry this update.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Llian Aarchim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 November 2002, 15:22:00 »

My aplogies for neglectingmy duties in the Misc.area been working on a large project.Yes i like the game,its original, fun and would fit in rather perectly.

I like it :)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 69
Online Ever: 580
(07 December 2019, 09:39:18)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)