Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Temperature?  (Read 4629 times)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« on: 28 November 2002, 13:56:00 »

So we have Line measure, sea measure, dry measure, land measure, heft measure, talley measure, and the Santharian currency, but we’re lacking in temperature.

I myself have never done any place entries (though maybe I should...) so I wouldn’t know if temperature was something that would be especially needed, but I do think it might be helpful to have. Unless you just want to keep Celsius, that’s find to. After all, it’s just an idea. Whatever name we happen to come up with, I think that it should be based in Celsius as that seems to make the most sense. (0 being the temperature at which water turns to ice and 100 being the temperature at which water turns to gas). It seems like the most natural to me.

If it’s too much trouble, don’t worry about it... ^^’

...Ripples in the Dream Pool...

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Finnael
Heraldic Artist
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2002, 15:46:00 »

Wow, I never really noticed that. That's a great idea unless it is too much to update all the places.

Evil thinks not to beguile us by unveiling the terrible truth of its festering intent, but comes, instead, disguised in the diaphanous robes of virtue, wispering sweet-sounding lies intended to seduce us into the dark bed of our eternal graves.

E-mail Me Here                            Check Out My Site

Llian Aarchim

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2002, 18:43:00 »

Good idea. :)  

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 29 November 2002, 00:08:00 »

Currently our technology has no way to measure temperature!  (no device such as the thermometer, that is)

Obviously our smiths have learned how to tell when iron etc. is at workable temperatures, but that is by visual or other clues such as its colour, maleability, brittleness, sound, etc.   Perhaps our chemists have some magical devices which let them measure temperature, but more likely they simply use the two or three parameters already suggested....

Water freezing and water boiling would be the natural ones.  Everything else in between might be described in terms of climate or in terms of its effect upon the human/sentient body.

For example:  A liquid is freezing/ near freezing/ icy/ cold/ merecold/body temperature/ merewarm (like our lukewarm) / warm / hot / scalding / boiling.   These are all terms that our authors have used or would be likely to use in writing entries, and no revision would be necessary to adopt them formally.

With regards to climate, one would again have a range from freezing to roasting, with states passing through chilly, windy, comfortable, balmy, sweaty, breezy, and so on.

Any other thoughts on the matter?

Regards from the rather-too-warm-let's-open-a-window-bard

"You say the little efforts that I make
Will do no good; they never will prevail
To tip the hovering scale
Where justice hangs in the balance.
I don’t think
I ever thought they would.
But I am prejudiced beyond debate
In favor of my right to choose which side
Shall feel the stubborn ounces of my weight."

Bonaro Overstreet

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2002, 03:54:00 »

For place entries a description of the climate is imo far mre explaining than stating the temperature. I guess more people know what subterran, mediterran, arctic, arid, humid etc. means or at least have an idea about it but naming the temperature would not add much to it because none knows how to judge it correctly.
For that you'd need to know what average temperatures certain landscapes have before you know if one temperature is higher or lower than normal...

I'd also say that temperature is maybe not something measurable, yet, eiter because none has made some useful invention or plainly because beside some alchemists none even needs it...

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 November 2002, 05:30:00 »

the thermometer is in fact quicksilver (which we have) in a glass 8 which we also have). So i guess alchemists caan very well hve thermometers.

it is not such an advanced technology

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2002, 11:15:00 »

The LLaoihrr Brownies would probably play with it....

But the Bard does have a point....our technology has not reached a point where we would have a *universal standard of degrees of temperature* The rare thermometer would be calibrated according to the needs of the individual who made it.

Brownie Expert

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 29 November 2002, 14:41:00 »

That could be a great entry - somebody inventing the thermometer for his own purposes - and die afterwards from the poisonous gases of the mercury, taking his invention into the grave!
The invention alone is not necessarily the date where it is used elsewhere! There is no real need for it yet.
No idea, when it was USED on earth more requently.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2002, 08:51:00 »

We also have all the raw ingredients for gunpowder, but we don't have a powder-based society.... Every RPGer and historical fantasist knows that is one of the defining moments in the technological development of a society!

I believe there is some device from the time of Leonardo which consists of a number of delicately-blown glass spheres, filled with fluids of different viscosities, floating in a larger glass jar.  As the weather (and thus the pressure systems and temperature) changed, different spheres rose and sank, indicating the relevant changes.

Sorry I don't know more about it, not even what it's called - but I've seen one in action, so they exist contemporarily  - and could probably exist in parts of Sorren, although wouldn't be common at all!

Anyone know what I'm trying to describe here?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2002, 10:28:00 »

Yeah, I've seen one too. The spheres have numbers etched on their surfaces, and whichever one is floating in the middle of the container (rather than the top or bottom) has on it the number that represents barometric pressure.

Brownie Expert

SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 December 2002, 15:50:00 »

It would make a pretty cool picture too. Maybe a crude glass thermometer, with etchings in it saying things like what temperatures cause which reactions with puliquay oil and scorpion venom or miryu bean ointment.

Stormcrow
Psychotic Wizard-Type

Winlok
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2002, 13:15:00 »

Bard Judith. The only thing that I can remember is, that da Vinci used spheres don't even know if they were glass when he tried to fly. He used them to gage how the weather was and the wind etc, sort of like a modern day gage. Ironically he never made it up far, because of the extra weight. I don't even know if this is right or not. I just remember reading a little blurb about Leonardo da Vinci, and his aspirations to fly and there was mention of spheres.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 05 December 2002, 23:11:00 »

I did some research, and this is what I came up with so far.

Galilei is credited with inventing the earliest thermometer.  There is a fascinating picture and description at

www.widdernet.de/gallimeter.html

which pretty much matches the visual I had in my head.

Da Vinci, brilliant as he was, was supposed to have made a hygrometer, (a hair strand with two pulleys and dials) which apparently measures the moisture content of the air, but we don't have any sketches of anything more sophisticated.

And someone else came up with the barometer, although the distinctions between all these instruments must have been pretty fine until the first mercury thermometer.  See the latest post, Scientific History Chart, for further detail!

Anyhow, if we have to have some sort of measuring device, it will be plausible to have one for weather.   The normal range of human bodily temperatures can be gauged fairly accurately by an experienced physician (or mother), and if our alchemists REALLY need something to measure their bubbling crucibles, perhaps we could invent our own equivalent to mercury.  

Why not?  I've already made a number of unique-to-Sorren metals... so there you are.  Run with it, guys!

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 December 2002, 23:24:00 »

Hn. We'd need to create, no necessarily a metal, but an element, perferably liquid, that would expand in heat. Either that or we could create some sort of tube filled with air and a light-weight... erm... balloon sort of thing. Heat rises, and as the heat increases, it moves to the top, thus pushing the ballon upward. Of course, there would need to be some sort of system within in to recirculate the air and such, sort of like granules on the sun, but it's still a possibility.

...Ripples in the Dream Pool...

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 December 2002, 13:36:00 »

well, now we're getting into science.
What expands with heat....
oil?
I dunno.
I'm an art student, not a scientist. My BF would know. I'll ask 'im.

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]