Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Armored Fan  (Read 5204 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 29 November 2002, 00:19:00 »

Okay now, you two?

Good.

We encourage the use of RL research and supporting evidence, without necessarily relying upon it to do our creative thinking for us.  Also, there is a very definite (but elusive) difference between the cultural heritage of Santharia and of Terra (RL).  

So:  Druids on earth may behave a certain way, and it may be valid for their roles and stereotypes and behaviours to 'carry over' into a Santharian description.  

But:  it is just as true that Santharian druids, once described, defined, and Compendiumized (good word, eh?) must then remain true to their own character within the Sorren culture.

Personally, I think this is a lovely weapon, both useful and decorative.  It might well be popular with women for that very reason - small and easy to conceal, but good for defense.  Female entertainers might wear it openly as part of their costume, for example.  Thieves and assassins who prefer subtlety and discretion in going armed would appreciate it.  

But a Santh Druid?  Hmmm...  a quarterstaff which assists in walking and can be used for defense (not offense, and not to death) in dire need seems very appropriate.  A small dagger is essential to almost every sentient in Sorren at this time, as eating utensil and general handy tool and implement - Druids no exception.  They would need it to help gather their plants and herbs, if nothing else (although Llian might choose to have them carry the ubiquitous miniature sickle, the classic druidical tool).  The fan seems out of character for a woodlands druid or Jeyrial-worshipping ranger, and more appropriate in an urban setting.

That would be my p.o.v, but others are welcome.  Let me know what you think, Rayne and Llian.

Regards from the don't-wave-that-thing-in-my-face-I-LIKE-my-nose-the-way-it-is bard,
Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 November 2002, 00:55:00 »

Yes, Mommy-Judith!

I'll add it being popular with women, both as a defense weapon and also as a decorative ornament for entertainers.

::skips off:: I'm wanna be just like Mommy-Judith when I grow up. ::smiles to herself::

...Ripples in the Dream Pool...

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 November 2002, 05:34:00 »

One thing i have to note:

when this fan is folded, how to you makee it have a sharp end? When a fan is folded, it is not thin aand sharp... and certainly not when it is armored. So how do you actually make this thing work as a weapon?

Sorry for trying to blast your eentry, rayne, but i really do not get it.

Llian Aarchim

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 November 2002, 16:24:00 »

I agree with Judith.

However, there are certain areas to a druid culture that would prevent a person of that perticuler nature to use a weapon in the first place. Such as, you wouldent find a priest useing a weapon to destry life, just as you would not see a druid to destry life because he cherishes all nature, trees, animals, plants earth, fire and the like. And THUS when killing something he feels as though he is killing what he worships, or even hurting.

This is what im trying to explain, and after thinking it through i can contruct my explination better.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 29 November 2002, 16:58:00 »

Silfer:  

I'm going to draw a picture of the fan, as it intrigues me and sounds like something simple enough to practise my meager skills on.  

I think I can envision what Rayne means, as these war fans really did exist in medieval Japan.  

A picture here will be worth, well, at least a hundred words...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 November 2002, 17:09:00 »

Hmmm.... Bard, can I talk to you about it? Maybe I revive a very idea of weapon entries if the idea sounds sufficient...

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 November 2002, 21:36:00 »

Well... basically if you want an example of this weapon, play any of the Mortal Kombats. It was either Katana or the other chick who looked like her who used these fan weapons, two to be precise. Just imagine a metal Japanese fan, with sharp edges on the ends of each of the segments. If you've never seen a Japanese fan, then imagine holding a hand of cards. When you hold the hand open, that is the fan being open, like this /, only wider. You then fold them up into a deck, like this ||. Poor visual aids, but I hope you see what I mean.

And Rayne, in the entry don't say ninjas. Say Kar'ii. That's the Santharian ninja term. :)  

Oh, and Silfer, you don't use the fan as a weapon when it is folded. It is folded for carrying purposes and as part of  the dance forms. When used a weapon it is kept open.

Santharia's General Commenter, Magic Guy, and Developer.
Contact at dasson@santharia.com

The Santharian Dream - Create the Dream. Live the Dream.

Edited by: Dasson at: 11/29/02 3:38:41 am
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 30 November 2002, 02:03:00 »

Hey Rayne, I like it! I like it for the use for women, but as well for men, like thiefs - or dancers.

And I personally don't have any problems with their use by clerics (don't know much about druids). Especially for the clerics who worship a god like Foirus, Queprur or the go of Excess . But I could envision it as well as weapon for a wandering Baveras priestess, for defense of course - but defense can as well mean attacking.
It is surely not so, that clerics would never touch a weapon to end a life. Surely - they might become guilty, but they would be guilty as well, if someone else comes to death because they didn't use a weapon.

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 November 2002, 07:06:00 »

I'm glad you like it, Ms. Talia. ^_^ I'll add that bit about what sort of clerics would use it.

Wow. It seems the longer this is up, the more good stuff I get on it. It gets more and more detailed, it seems. ^_^''

Yay! Mommy-Judith might make a picture!

BTW: Dasson, I changed ninja to Kar'ii. Thanks for the correction. ^_~

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 November 2002, 09:04:00 »

Ow, now i get it. I thought for soem odd reason it should be used as a weapon when it is folded... because i HAVE played Mortal Combat.

But then again:

How would you use it with aonuhg force to actually inflict more then a small cut? The way a fan is held.... and the way to hold it, you cant really swing your arm with anough force to make serious damage?  

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 30 November 2002, 09:41:00 »

Actually, you certainly can use it as a weapon when folded.

Remember, you can use anything offensively (as every toddler knows) - your keyring in a pinch will inflict a lot of damage, for example....

The side slats (those are the two rays of the fan which form the outside edges when closed) are always thicker and extend above the top edge of the fan as well.  I envision these as being made of sturdy metal, with sharpened top edges.   When the fan is closed, it will become a rectangular bar of metal, with a pointy top - suitable for either jabbing or 'sandbagging'.  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 30 November 2002, 15:36:00 »

Judy did a wonderful Fan picture especially for you, Rayne, Koldar may perhaps add a bit of a 3d/metallic effect to it, let's see if he can still add an effect or two to the pic:

Magnifcent work, Masterbard... err.. Master Artist:)  

BTW: As the entry also discusses the fan in general I thought we could also add the picture of Enayla to the entry when you mention the dancing ladies... How about this one:

Oh, and Rayne: Could you perhaps summarize the entry in 2 or 3 sentences for the overview and add it on top?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 11/29/02 9:39:02 pm

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 November 2002, 16:51:00 »

Summary added!

Wow... ::stares in wonder:: Pictures? For my entry? ::feels all special::

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 30 November 2002, 16:54:00 »

(claps hands and dances happily around)

Art likes my picture!  Art likes my picture!

Now if only Koldar and the other artistic geniuses don't sneer at my inability to create metallic highlights, all will be well (note:  I was particularly proud of the rivets...)

By the way, that lady-with-fan picture will indeed go wonderfully in the entry, especially if Rayne does not mind including a line or two which will eventually link to the entry on Gerissa (a popular Santhalan dancer) which I am still planning to do... I reserved that pic for her AGES ago but I'm sure it can go in both entries, right?

"You say the little efforts that I make
Will do no good; they never will prevail
To tip the hovering scale
Where justice hangs in the balance.
I don’t think
I ever thought they would.
But I am prejudiced beyond debate
In favor of my right to choose which side
Shall feel the stubborn ounces of my weight."

Bonaro Overstreet

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 November 2002, 17:07:00 »

I added it in, Miss. Judith. No problem.

Wow. The entry gets better by the day! ^_^'

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]