Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Book of Knowledge  (Read 5641 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 14 December 2002, 04:01:00 »

Judith:rollin

As I said before, I wouldn't make it so huge..

Maybe we could just leave it's mighty abilities, but
a)restrict the the persons who are able to read it to magicians of a high rank or any other person with the  special gift to be able to read it and
b)make the prize to read it higher, say for every question or minute a year of your life  - or more , and maybe the growing risk to go mad? Especially when asking things about the future?
In this direction..

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Viresse
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 December 2002, 18:47:00 »

yesh! For every question one asks, a YEAR of life is lost.
The more questions one asks, the closer to death one becomes, addign a year to their form. And as the book is so engrossing, mayhaps those that find the answers they seek do not live long enough to USE them.
That would make it a book cursed by lifemagic, or blessed by Necromancing. Hee hee!
I like the idea. But I don't like the size of the book, maybe BIG but not too big, maybe half a ped, by a fourth or so.

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 14 December 2002, 23:56:00 »

I TOLD you this was the Internet!  :)

(snickers)  How about taking it just a little bit further -

"This Book has been known to absorb would-be masters and sages - literally.  It is rumoured that in the artifact's earliest days more than one mage who closeted himself with the Book never came out of his tower.  After the Book was moved to the Tower of Tomes in Ximax and guarded more closely, it was actually observed in the process of siphoning out an unwary fifth-ranker's consciousness.  The mage in question had spent days mesmerized by the Book of Knowledge, moving only his hand to write down some of the answers to his questions, and swallowing reflexively as assistant wizards poured liquids down his throat to keep him hydrated.

Late in the evening of the sixth day, the mage ceased all movement but eye flickers, and it was suggested that he be roused.  It was found to be impossible.  Not only could he not be woken, he could not be moved, nor could the attendant wizards close or shield the book to break eye contact.   Just past the middle of the night, as mages kept vigil, his form was seen to shake violently, shimmer, and dissolve into a shower of silvery dust which was pulled downwards into the centre of the Book, to vanish into the surface of the pages.

It was claimed by the mages who were on vigil that the Book was thicker by a nailsbreath or so than it had been, but as no one had thought to take its dimensions prior to this horrific incident, this claim could not be verified.

Currently, all questioners are strongly admonished of the dangers, required to swear that they will ask only one question of the Book, and contact is broken off through magical shielding after one candlehour of immersion.  Despite these safety precautions, there have been further deaths attributed to the Book of Knowledge.  Nonetheless, there will always be seekers who believe the Book to hold their only answers..."

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Timeras

Lursus/Mathis RPside

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 December 2002, 17:39:00 »

Wow... after reading that "Minstrel-Mage" I was impressed... but this... Is better (probobly because it's for an artifact of my design. :evil  

Can I use that for the entry?

P.S. I'll make it smaller as well.

Image servers down again...

Timeras of Remusiat, lord of the White Citidel.If at first you don't succeed, try, try, and try again. Then give up. There's no use being a damned fool about it." - W.C.Fields (1880 - 1946)

Edited by: Timeras at: 12/15/02 11:40:40 pm
Timeras

Lursus/Mathis RPside

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 December 2002, 18:02:00 »

I just made a sketch of the book... bu I'm not quite sure where to host it...

Timeras of Remusiat, lord of the White Citidel.If at first you don't succeed, try, try, and try again. Then give up. There's no use being a damned fool about it." - W.C.Fields (1880 - 1946)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 18 December 2002, 15:22:00 »

So is this book still existing? In Ximax? Is it officially there? Or is there perhaps a legend that it was stolen or that it was removed in order to prevent further misuse? And is there perhaps as well a rumour that it still exists deep down under Ximax, hidden from the eyes of the curious? But nobody really knows? And that every now and then students are said to have tried to lay their hands on it and were never to be seen again?

If you have a sketch, just mail it to me, and I'll upload it as reference for artists, which perhaps may illustrate it sometime.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 04 January 2003, 13:02:00 »

How about this entry now, Timeras?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Winlok
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 January 2003, 18:12:00 »

The Book is a scholar's dream. When it is first gazed upon, it might seem like some arcane grimoire, or perhaps even a troll's diary, but when it is opened, each and every page is completly blank. This has cuased the book to be shunned by many who are unaware of it's powers. When a question is posed to the tome; the pages become full. The answers held within the book are always correct, and can reveal things of the past, present, and even thingsof the future. But, each qeustion can lead to other qeustions, and soon, it becomes difficult, even impossible to leave the book. Those who do manage to pull themselves away (or be pulled away by others) dream obsessivly of the book, and the weaker willed may even kill themselves if they are unable to get back. It is also rumored that the book can absorb the reader... literally.

I have discussed this with Koldar already. I read his post about it being from the NeverEnding Story. It is also quite similar to "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets". I have not seen the movie, but I have read the reviews, and seen the commercials for it. This type of book is how Harry finds out about the Chamber of Secrets in the first place, including the empty pages and everything. It leads to other questions, but generally the first one is explained in such detail there is no need for more. However carring a high price, is rather new.

Just my two cents worth. :)  

Paul von Minct

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 January 2003, 18:54:00 »

??!!! IT'S IN HARRY POTTER TOO!!!!

I HATE HARRY POTTER!!!!!!

...grrrrrr...

Whenever you think it's done Arti... your the admin...

...grrrrr...harry freaking potter...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 1/8/03 9:33:36 pm
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 07 January 2003, 03:13:00 »

Your signature is much too large in width, Paul! Please correct!

Timeras

Lursus/Mathis RPside

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 January 2003, 01:10:00 »

Yet another reason I don't ussually use that account here. :evil

So, do you think it's done Art?

Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 January 2003, 22:43:00 »

Hmm... strikes me as a good Ximaxian assassination weapon... this thing would be under guard in the Great Library of the Guard Tower at all times, to stop it from being used as a weapon against other magi... there is one question I'd like to ask it, though.

"How can your spell be unmade?"

Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 January 2003, 22:46:00 »

"It's current whereabouts are widely debated. Some say it is still in Alteths castle in the wasteland known as Modocia. Others that it is hidden in a vault in Linhir, and still others in the private Library of the Santharian King."

It is not in Ximax, Xarl.
***wrestles the book away from Xarl to prevent him from asking the book too many questions***

Brownie Expert

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 09 January 2003, 15:36:00 »

Ok, I'll check it for this week's update. I may adjust things here and there though perhaps in order to make it fit better. We'll see.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]